Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Desiree Cousteau posted:

My favorite kitchen supply source is Goodwill, but I am getting fond of flea markets too. Where else can you get a set of 70's Revere Ware pans for $28?
And it has gotten to the point where I only look at the presto pressure cookers ( I mean, for God's sake, how many pressure cookers can you use?)

Thrift stores are also great for cast iron stuff too. Couple months ago I got a 12" skillet for a dollar, and a dutch oven for four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I got one of those Zoku popsicle makers at a thrift store, and oh man. I'll use this thing all the time. Totally worth the eight bucks I spent on it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Drink and Fight posted:

It's my BF's ringtone too. His new boss was not amused.

It's mine as well. Made for a bunch of awkward looks at family brunch last week when a buddy called me.

Also I found out today that you can indeed eat too many tacos. I didn't think it was possible. But worth it. So much delicious tongue and tripe.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

NosmoKing posted:

Got a raise today!!

Congrats!

On sort of the same note, I just got an e-mail this morning that my old employer got a new contract and I'm back to work Wednesday! :dance:

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm back you jerkoffs, did I miss anything other than a grill, HH having a broken kid, and a sexy grill?

How did you enjoy my fair city?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I got two local small markets/grocers that have no prepared foods let alone seating. Someones script is busted.

Edit: Fruit market snype?

esperantinc fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 28, 2012

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I'm almost 30 and had my first beet experience on a salad the other day. I don't know what took me so long.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I ate at In-N-Out for the first time tonight (I'm in Oakland on business). For a fast food joint, that's a drat tasty burger.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I swear there is like an unmentioned law, much akin to Godwin's Law, wherein any GWC thread will inevitably devolve into a slowcooker fap fest.

Only a matter of time till someone to asks about roasting in a slow cooker in the coffee thread

Something something salsa chicken?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

geetee posted:

Since we're on the topic... Do you guys tip for takeout?

Edit: vvv :laugh: could not resist

I do, but not as much as I would have had I eaten in. Generally a couple bucks, because most of the time from what I've seen it's a server that has to take the time to box everything up for you, neglecting their tables a bit while they're at it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Looking forward to thoughts from yinz guys on it. Always wanted a puddle machine, and 200$ is right in my wheelhouse for one.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The Midniter posted:

Comes out perfect every time.

I think his definition of "perfect" might need some work.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

That sorta poo poo kills me. Is it really that hard to tell the checkout person "oh I changed my mind about this, sorry"? Or just go put it back yourself?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Fried pickles are just great in general.

I'll come out and say that I love the stupid Red Lobster biscuits. Over salted nonsense that they are and everything. So much that my mom bought the box mix of it that they have for sale at Sam's Club (which aren't as good).

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Truth. I have a couple of friends that work in catering, and they've always said that they mark up wedding quotes by at least 25%, if not more.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Any of you guys ever travelled to Lithuania? I'm going to Kaunas for a week and a half later this month. I've heard there's a decent beer scene there, which is exciting.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

M42 posted:

Ay, I'm from there. Klaipeda specifically. Hope you like sour cream, potatoes, and pork. Cuz that's how we do :colbert: But seriously, peasant food for dayyyys.

Beer wise, our porters are pretty good (Utenos Alus porter specifically). I haven't been back in a long time so there's probably new poo poo out. Our generic supermarket beer (Švyturys, Kalnapilis) is actually not too bad, imo, probably because making terrible miller-lite pisswater is punishable by death. I am probably not qualified to be passing judgement, though. Are you going with anyone who knows the language?

Out of curiosity, why are you visiting? Not a lot of people know the country exists, so it's always a surprise when it gets mentioned.

Real answer: try all of them

I'll be ok with a bunch of peasant food.

I'm going for work. We've got an office in Kaunas that I'm heading to. I'm going alone, but I'm sure I'll be getting taken out a bunch by folks that are local. :shrug:

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

M42 posted:

Oh, that's good! They'll definitely know what's up, so no need to worry. If you've got time, there's a shitton of old castles, churches, museums, etc in the city. Too much to list, so check out the wiki page and see if anything catches your eye. Also, old town owns.

My hotel is right in the middle of Old Town so that is exciting to hear! Thanks for the tips!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I'm a newish Sam's Club member (under a year), and I can understand both of your arguments. I'm a single dude that lives in a one bedroom apartment so some of the bulk stuff I can't take advantage of (14 pounds of bacon for a buck a pound), but some are great. Like a giant gently caress off sized box of garbage bags that will last me three years for 9$. Some produce deals to be found too, one of my favorites is a giant bag of brussels sprouts (I think it's three pounds) for 5$, where a pound of them at my local grocery store is 4$. Saving 20-30 cents a gallon on gas is nice as well, and from what I've seen I'll get a nice discount on new tires for my car when I need them.

I'm kind of biased though, I got signed up through a Groupon last year, so I only ended up paying like 8$ for the actual "membership" portion, if I value out the gift card I got and the free prepared food stuff that came with.

Can't get booze at Sam's/Costco here though, I'm in PA, where liquor laws are fairly prohibitive, at least for retail.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Lithuania trip report even though I'm still here for another two days.

I've never eaten so much pork, or so many potatoes/beets in my life. They put some weird cream sauce on pizza that is strangely tasty, and I'll probably miss when I get back to the states.

There was some festival over this past weekend, so it was two days of walking around the rivers and old town, buying pints of local beer for about 2.40$ USD. Along with sausages and cabbage and all kinds of goodies.

I've had a blast, hope I can convince work that I need to come over again soon.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Iron Lung posted:

I've been dying to try cel-ray for so long but I can't find it in this god forsaken desert.

Have a Jewish deli near you? That's where I always find it. so good.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Pffft, wisdom teeth? Ya'll are lightweights. Try having ALL your teeth being in pieces and needing dug out of your gums at 23. That was fun.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Chemmy posted:

They were dyed to hide color imperfections in the nuts.

It was stupid so most places stopped.

Yeah, something with the harvesting process discolored them, so they were died to cover them up.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just had a quesarrito. No regerts

The Taco Bell one? I had one the other day and wasn't horrified at it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

you ate my cat posted:

One of those just opened near me. It's across the street from my favorite bar, so there's a chance I'll get one while drunk some day.

Here, watch some dude's poorly made and moderately unappetizing video where he gets to see how the magic is made, right here at my local Pizza Cono.

Sup PIttsburgh pal :hfive:

I'm right down the street in Regent Square but I still haven't tried the place. I've had friends go and give not so glowing reviews.

Though if you're drunk at the Cage you should just be eating Cageburgers anyhow. Mmmmmmm.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I've never put ketchup in the fridge, which all of my friends think is weird. Am I the only one?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Drink and Fight posted:

loving hells I got a 60-day move out notice. Renting is bullshit.

That stinks. No lease? Or was there a provision where they could boot you with that much notice?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Ahahaha that GBS thread is great.

Where can I buy 6000 year old yak meat? That'd probably make a hell of a steak.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

It doesn't taste like soap or anything to me, but I'm not a huge fan of cilantro. Incorporated into salsa or guac it's fine, but keep whole leaves off of tacos and sandwiches, please.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Reading poo poo like that makes me happy that I grew up in a restaurant, so I was always open to different food.

And now my favorite thing to eat is lengua tacos, and I won't bat an eye at intestines or tripe or anything "weird", even if it ends up grossing out my companions.

If it tastes good, eat it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I joined a picky eaters group on FB for the hell of it after this all started. The first post I see? "Okay so I am working on losing weight and becoming healthier. However I don't eat fruits and veggies. Literally."

I don't know how long I'll be able to put up with this.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm sure ramsay doesnt think he invented it, and would set people straight if they said it around him. It's not his fault other people are dumb.

I can't be the only one that calls it the Ramsay method based on the fact that it was his video that was my first exposure to scrambled eggs made that way.

I'm more of a poached guy myself.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

a worthy uhh posted:

I thought all that stuff WAS vegan??

Vegans with real (or imaginary) celiac's/gluten intolerance, I'd imagine?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

taqueso posted:

It's pretty bad, some toxins are actually chemicals!

Something something essential oils!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Jay Carney posted:

I figured out how to use my sous vide setup to make a weed/milk concentrate so powerful it made my friend have breakdown where he called his girlfriend weeping about how he loved her and hoped he could be a good father one day. You could probably do the same with butter.

Well you're gonna share, right?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

So a co-worker just brought me back a grip of dried chiles from Houston...pasillas, pequin, anchos, cascabel, and japones. Figure I can make a pretty bitchin' chili powder?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Ha, yeah, sorry guys. They're just little individual packets, a little more than an ounce of each kind, except for the pequin, since they're just little guys. Quarter ounce of those.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I really hope they're just putting the same stock in each container and that the "bone" varieties are more expensive to take advantage of suckers.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Scientastic posted:

Why don't restaurants serve food on plates any more? Everywhere I go, it's bits of slate, chopping boards or tiles.

On the extremely rare occasion I get a plate, it's a ridiculous shape that makes the act of eating from it a tedious and awkward chore.

What's wrong with big, round, white plates?

In this realm, I'm fed up with "giant amount of negative space" plating. Just use a smaller plate you shitbirds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Then the plate looks crowded. I don't want it to look like I shoved everything on the plate.

Oh no, using it to not crowd a plate, is fine, I'm just over poo poo like this that makes me think they forgot something: