Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Chance posted:

I'm just guessing that $35 or later $25 is cheaper than any computer you could theoretically give someone to practice basic programming with python on. I mean it's basically cheaper than a textbook. Plus I'm pretty sure their initial "for education" meant for teachers/the classroom and that later versions with cases would be meant for student distribution.

The problem is, after you give kids this "$25 computer to practice basic programming on," they still need another computer to run dev tools, not to mention a monitor or TV for the Raspberry Pi itself. Meanwhile, that same computer (minus the $25 board) can run all kinds of excellent, free dev tools on a much more capable system. Sure, there's a lot of value in an inexpensive embedded system specifically as a tool for teaching embedded programming, but it's just silly to try to claim that a little dev board will somehow make it cheaper or easier to teach basic Hello World programming concepts. Just because you learned to program on a C64 doesn't mean that slavishly emulating the concept is the best way to teach programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ppp posted:

What other dev tools did you have in mind?

Just about anything that runs on the Raspberry Pi, plus a lot more. People are talking about using these as teaching tools for Python; Python already runs pretty well on desktops for an additional cost of $0 (and if you want to have a consequence-free, gently caress-up-all-you-like environment, there are plenty of free virtualization solutions out there as well). Plus, desktops can run free full-size IDEs like Eclipse and Visual Studio as well, and good luck getting those going on a Raspberry Pi board.

feedmegin posted:

Why do you need another computer? It runs Linux, it has HDMI out, it has USB. You can plug it into an HDTV, mouse and keyboard and develop right on the board.

One of the big attractions for this is "feel free to gently caress it up, you can just restore it!" You know, from that other PC you have. Not to mention, it'd sure be nice to teach people to use modern programming tools, rather than just saying "well print() statements were a good enough debugger for me..."

computer viking posted:

Monitors alone are dirt cheap these days, so there's some savings to be realized there. Could be useful.

Savings over what, though? Most schools that want to teach programming will already have a computer lab. The ones who don't have computer labs probably can't afford $150-200 per seat for a Raspberry Pi board, monitor/TV, keyboard, mouse, and miscellaneous extras.

The appropriate comparison is not "a bunch of brand new computers versus a bunch of Raspberry Pis." It's "the computers we already have, versus new hardware that's substantially less capable."

This has the potential to be an interesting product. A standard, open, and dirt-cheap architecture for embedded stuff that needs decent processing power but not a full PC is pretty great, actually. But, it's certainly not going to revolutionize computer education. The problem with teaching people to program is not a lack of tools; there have been massive efforts to get computers into schools, and professional-grade tools are literally available to anyone who wants them. The problem is a lack of worthwhile curricula, a professional culture that treats more difficult as better than, and efforts like this that literally treat education as "if you build it they will come." Want to teach kids to program? Teach them to program, don't throw cheap hardware at them and say "here, go play, it was good enough for me and it's good enough for you."

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

DNova posted:

kids aren't allowed to take the school's computers home with them usually. it's nice to let them have more than 30 minutes three times a week (or whatever schedule) to work, don't you think?

So now you're talking about buying one of these for every single student? All of a sudden they're looking anything but cheap.

feedmegin posted:

How is restoring from a PC any more simple than 'pop out the SD card and put one with a fresh image in'? And, uh, why are you talking about Visual Studio when we're talking about programming on an ARM Linux device?

It is that simple. If you have another PC handy.

I'm talking about Visual Studio because it's another environment in which you can teach people how to program. And, if you've already got a PC running Windows (like practically every school computer lab), it is $25 cheaper than the least expensive Raspberry Pi.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

DNova posted:

Yeah I really, really wish I had had an opportunity like that when I was a kid.

You realize that, adjusted for inflation, a base-model BBC Micro cost £703? You have the opportunity, right now, to buy your kid a computer that costs half as much as a BBC Micro did, and then you can load it up with free professional development tools to boot. A sufficiently motivated kid can peel apart and play with the source code to a modern operating system, and get advice from professionals in the field while they do it. There is no need to go back to some mythical "golden age" of C64s and BBC Micros, because the opportunities available today are infinitely better.

The problem here is not a lack of computers, or a lack of tools. It is the lack of worthwhile programming curricula, an attitude on the part of teachers and administrators that programming is not a worthwhile way to spend precious classroom hours, and a lack of qualified instructors. Putting all your hope in "if we just buy them this gadget and let them play with it, things will somehow work out and they'll all want to program!" is silly. Want to give kids the opportunity to learn how computers work at a fundamental level? Great. Teach them, don't build a field of dreams.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Mantle posted:

I think that is a future market for this device. The first adopters of this device are going to be hackers and guys like us that have the disposable income to buy a $50 toy (including shipping and peripherals etc.)

Once the device has gained a foothold and a healthy developer ecosystem it will then become a platform that will be attractive to low income families to buy into. I think we have to be patient for that day though. Look how long it's taken Apple's platform to get where it is today, backed by $billions of marketing and support.

Can you name even one hobbyist platform that has turned into "something attractive for low income families to buy into?" Even when Wal-mart tried to sell super-low-budget Linux desktops, people wanted Windows.

Longinus00 posted:

I'm pretty sure the target audience is hobbyists and institutions/groups that want to teach programming on a shoestring budget. You could definitely do some cool projects with grade schoolers that use RPis to control some simple robot kits for low cost.

Low-income schools are not interested in doing robotics projects for grade schoolers. If they can scrape together enough of a tech budget for hardware, it's going to go towards teaching older kids computer skills so basic I doubt they even register on the radar of a lot of people posting here: using Windows, typing, browsing the internet, using Office, and so forth. Getting some tiny fraction of kids interested in programming is nice and all, but it's going to take a back seat to teaching a bunch of kids the skills needed for almost any non-manual-labor job today.

And, if you're running a private institution that wants to teach programming on a shoestring budget, $50/pop for a Raspberry Pi pales in comparison to the traditional source for those groups: surplus machines donated by businesses for a tax writeoff.

I get the feeling that the educational plans here are run on the same level as their regulatory approval: a lot of good intentions, crippled by a "well the hard part is designing the hardware, and once that's done everything else will just fall into place" attitude. The Dunning-Kruger effect strikes again, I suppose.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

There's a puff piece on /. about a planned Intel x86 clone of the rpi.
Highly doubtful that it will ever come to fruition, hit its super-optimistic 2H 2012 ship date, or even come near the purported $100 price point, but a man can dream!

It's not a clone. The board Intel's been showing off is basically a very small motherboard that can take mobile Sandy/Ivy Bridge parts - in other words, it's a component in a full x86 PC, as capable (and as power-hungry, and about as expensive) as a decent laptop minus the display and input bits. The only similarity to the Raspberry Pi is the size.

I don't see what's so unrealistic about a sub-$100 SFF x86 system, though. Intel already makes one of those.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Neither of those have RAM, and the cheapest/only place I can find the DN2800MT is $150.

It's not really a competitor for the Raspberry Pi at all, but you could make the D525MW I linked into a complete $100 system (sans power supply, display, mouse, keyboard, and so on - but then, the Pi doesn't come with those either). $75 for the board, $12 for 2GB of RAM, and $10 for an 8GB flash drive even leaves you with a few bucks to go towards shipping or tax or whatever. Or, if you like, you can go with a Via-based offering that's even cheaper, or step up to honest-to-god "in a pinch, this could be your only system" power levels with an E-350 board that squeaks just under the $100 mark but doesn't include RAM or mass storage in that price. There's nothing crazy about a sub-$100 x86 single-board computer.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

EgoEgress posted:

Been thinking about getting one of these; I have only just started learning programming, but it looks like a useful tool. Plus if (when) I manage to break it horribly, it's only $25 lost! :downs:

If you're just starting out with programming, you're probably better off on a PC or Mac. The RPi is limited enough that it'd be a massive pain to run a debugger or modern IDE; even a cheap, old PC can run one without a sweat. And, if you're worried about breaking things, a virtual machine is probably a better option than a dedicated piece of hardware: it costs nothing and no matter what you do you can always just restore from a backup snapshot.

The RPi's real advantage is that it makes embedded development easy; it has way more power and flexibility than a microcontroller, but nowhere near the electrical, cooling, and space issues of a full PC. If you've already got an idea for a project that involves putting something on a network (anything from a TV running a digital sign, to a local streaming video playback box, to a networked IR blaster, to a tiny home NAS), the Pi makes a great physical platform. And, if you've got a little experience it's a great platform to learn embedded development on. But, if you just want to "learn about programming" in general, it's probably better to start out on something with a bit more power to it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

MagneticWombats posted:

Wow, this is really disappointing. I guess I can I don't know, write a ray caster and pretend like it's 1999 again.

It's still useful for normal GPU stuff - scaling, rotation, basic 3D, whatever. You just can't use the GPU for computation, because it's low-power fixed-function hardware designed to run a UI or simple 3D apps/games rather than be a massively parallel vector-ish general-purpose processor.

In general, the RPi is useful as a frontend - if you want to do anything like serious computation, that's what the Ethernet port is for. Farm it out to something faster. The RPi is smart enough to take prebaked data (queries on an external database, pre-baked stuff on the SD card, or whatever) and wrap it up in a nice UI, just like a typical smartphone app. That's enough to enable a lot of interesting use cases if you embrace the device-as-frontend model (want to do heavy-duty math? Sure, it can work - buy some Amazon EC2 time, throw Sage or Mathematica or something on there, and connect to it through the RPi). But, it's not going to ever be a computing device in the number-crunching sense.

'ST posted:

Free tutorial for making a simple OS on the Pi: https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/

That's not really an OS; it's more a "how to talk to the hardware directly" tutorial. It can't load outside code, let alone provide it with services and an abstraction layer.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

MagneticWombats posted:

One idea that I was tossing around was attaching a webcam and an RC car/USB foam missle launcher or something that can move on its own while leveraging the GPU for something. So I'm not looking for a ton of parallel computations per se, but an application that would require a moderate amount of GPU work that was 'mobile' (so in this sense, taking advantage of the small form factor).

If you have a specific project in mind, you might want to buy hardware to support that project. If you buy a piece of hardware on impulse, you might want to limit your project ideas to things it can actually do. Yes, there's a GPU on there. There's also a GPU on the Geforce 2 MX knocking around in the back of my spare parts box. As it turns out, if something's called a "graphics processing unit," that doesn't mean it's necessarily suited for general-purpose work, or even very fast by current standards.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

armorer posted:

I am going to be giving a small talk soon at my company on the raspberry pi. The audience will be a bunch of experienced software developers. The talk is coming together pretty well, and gives a general overview and "getting started" type stuff. From there I plan to touch on the Python GPIO library, and then show a few example projects (probably a RetroPie setup and a webservice of some sort running in tomcat on a headless pi.)

If you were to attend a talk like this, what sort of thing might you also like to see? What do you wish someone told you when you were getting started? I have maybe another 10 minutes of time that I can fill and I'm looking for more compelling content.

If they're experienced software developers, they're not going to be wowed by yet another platform that can run emulators and a webserver - these days, anything with a video output/ethernet port can do that, including the pentium 3 they've had moldering in their basement since the Clinton administration.

Instead, look at the Pi's strength: there's a ton of interesting hardware out there that speaks I2C, SPI, or other simple interfaces that you can use through the GPIO pins. Add a Raspberry Pi, and you've got network connectivity, enough intelligence to do something interesting with it, and enough library support to allow quick development and flatten the learning curve a bit. Demonstrate how a little bit of code can hook cheap sensors and input devices up to an internal webserver, or just about any communication method you want (email, SMS, twitter, SNMP...). A device that tweets "hey, who turned out the lights?" when you put a box over it, that you can honestly say, "I spent a grand total of three hours building this" about, will probably be a much more impressive and interesting demo than yet another runthrough of SMB level 1-1.

(comedy option: do you live in Colorado or Washington?)

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Is there a more powerful version of this thing out there/in the works? I'd love to have something that competes with modern top end x86 chips but uses much less power to crunch WCG on.

No, the whole point is that it's a cheap, low-power platform. Modern high-end systems are very, very good at performance per dollar and performance per watt. The idea behind projects like the Raspberry Pi is to lower the absolute power and cost requirements while keeping enough performance to do something interesting. If you want more computing power, you're going to need to pay for more electrical power.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm considering building one a) just for the hell of it, b) because it's cool, and c) you can get a decent computer with a bunch of pis and a little work relatively cheap.

What do you mean by "decent" here?

They say it cost "under £2,500 (excluding switches)." That's a significant amount of money for a not-particularly-powerful computer. If you wanted to learn about writing highly parallel software, MPI, and other supercomputing, it might not be a bad way to play around with concepts. If you're trying to actually crunch data, though, there are much smarter ways to spend the same money.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

bobua posted:

My google foo is weak apparently, and this seemed like a good place to ask.

Is there an x86 quasi-equivalent to the raspberry pie? I don't so much care about price or performance that much, it's just that every time I start playing with something ARM drivers are unavailable for the toys:(

I guess I should elaborate on equivalent... single board, fanless, tiny. There seems to be a lot in the way of small pc's, but they still tend to be pc's, set up for a real hard drive, external ram, etc. Definitely not something you'd 'embed.'

Intel makes some Atom mini-ITX boards. You'll need to bring your own RAM and mass storage, but DDR3 SO-DIMMs are dirt cheap, and they support USB boot (so you can handle mass storage with a thumbdrive if you want). They'll run an x86 desktop OS at netbook speeds but have a good set of interface options and some embedded-friendly stuff. This model, for instance, has a serial port header and can directly interface with and power certain bare LCD panels.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Zuph posted:

Rob Bishop from the Pi foundation stopped by our hackerspace last week and spoke a little on this. Essentially, educational uptake is a lot better in the UK than the US, because education in the UK is handled by a few large, monolithic organization. In the US, on the other hand, education is handled on a state-by-state, city-by-city basis, making it much more difficult to get something like the Raspberry Pi integrated into educational settings. Some areas are seeing huge success, like a school in Chicago who crowdfunded a bunch of Pis, while other areas haven't heard of it, can't afford it, or don't want to use it.

These days, the foundation is working almost single-mindedly towards extending that educational mission, since everyone in the tech community is now more-or-less aware of the Pi. In the US, it's a major uphill battle.

Did he give some examples of how it has been used successfully? I still don't see how a dedicated device is beneficial unless you want to teach embedded-specific topics. There are all kinds of free development tools out there, from deliberately simple educational platforms like Kodu to full-blown professional IDEs like Eclipse and Visual Studio. Yes, using Pis lets schools sidestep the cost of putting together a computer lab to some degree - but they still need a lot of supporting hardware with its own pricetag, and if a school can't afford a computer lab then they'll have bigger problems than a lack of programming classes.

Granted, it might get people excited, and you can teach skills in a suboptimal way (apparently people are still using QBASIC? :stonk:), but if you're building a new program it seems kind of hard to justify. Are there examples of programs that have used the Pi's standalone capability in interesting or unexpected ways?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

wooger posted:

Does anyone with a Pi really not already ha ve a PC though? Surely we can tinker and learn to program on our PC in python or something, or run a VM for OS tinkering.

For buying a ton of machines for cheap as education tools it maybe makes sense, but if you have access to a real server, or ability to run a VM, not sure what you're getting.

The one thing I might bother tinkering with on a low power device is networking: e.g. an OpenBSD firewall. This though has just one 100mbps Ethernet port, which kills it.

Don't think of it as a tiny, underpowered PC - instead, it's more like a microcontroller on steroids. It can connect to all kinds of sensors, output devices, controllers for motors, heaters, and other things that do work in the real world, and so on. It's got enough intelligence to speak to more complex systems over a network, run a complex UI locally, and work at the API/library level rather than bare metal. And, it's all small and cheap enough to work in hobby projects where you don't want to deal with the cost, size, electrical requirements, and so forth of a full x86 PC.

If you just want to learn Python and Linux, the Raspberry Pi sucks. But, if you want to learn how to make a bong that tweets when you hit it, the Pi is probably the best choice out there.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

B+ Model.

I have a 2.5" 500gig HD from a laptop that I bought an enclosure for. It isn't being recognized and I can hear it clicking as if it isn't getting enough power. I've tried max_usb_current=1 & safe_mode_gpio=4 in the config.txt but neither work. It has a Y power cord and I've tried it with both commands and both plugs in, as well as removing anything else from the ports. I have a 2.1A solid USB charger.

What am I missing here?

A powered hub.

The Pi isn't built to deliver substantial current over USB. 100 mA per port is a good safe limit - you can stretch that a bit, but not too much. At 1A or so you're just beating your poor polyfuses to death. The usb_max_current option is there for devices that misreport their power needs, and turning it on won't magically improve the hardware.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Short answer: no. The GPIO pins do have JTAG capability, but that's basically just for debugging (you actually need a running system to issue the command to switch the pins from GPIO mode to JTAG mode). The intended recovery mode is "pop the flash out, reflash it to a known working state yourself, and pop it back in." This means the foundation didn't go to the effort of building a complex recovery bootloader in ROM that's capable of rewriting firmware.

It's not all hardware, but the best way to do what you want is probably going to be U-boot. With a minimal bootloader on the network card, you can pull everything else down through TFTP.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

awesome-express posted:

Just as an FYI, it's not a real version of Windows 10... It's Windows 10 IoT, which is a static single screen version that lets you deploy windows 10 apps to the Pi. You don't actually have a desktop you can click around, or a browser or anything like that. MS was really misleading with the whole Windows 10 for the Pi spiel.

MS was completely transparent about what Windows 10 IoT could and couldn't do.

The misleading part came from tech bloggers and forum posters who read only the headline, believed that they were Raspberry Pi experts because they'd once gotten somebody else's pre-baked SD image to run Super Mario Bros, and assumed that of course MS was going to deploy the full-fat desktop OS version with decades of x86 legacy support to a low-end smartphone SoC.

If you thought that Windows 10 for the Pi was going to be the full desktop version, I have some more disappointing news for you: even though Microsoft told everybody that "Xbox integration" would be a part of Windows 10, you still can't run Xbox One games on your 2007 integrated-graphics Dell laptop.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Karthe posted:

So the Pi can only boot from microSD cards, and it's a guarantee that the microSD card you use as the boot drive will eventually bite the dust because of sustained read-write cycles? :wtc: That fact combined with USB and ethernet sharing the same bus makes me wonder why anyone thought these things would make good always-on servers. I mean, my Pi B+ has been humming along just fine as a Usenet box but maybe I should cut my losses and invest in some other low-power platform...

Edit: It seems pretty simple to set up the Pi to run from a USB stick, even if the boot partition has to reside on the microSD card.

Any flash drive will eventually die due to write-erase cycles (reads don't matter). Cheaper flash drives (including pretty much all MicroSD cards and thumb drives) will die much more quickly, because they start with lower-grade memory, have less overprovisioning, and use less sophisticated wear leveling and compression algorithms. Of course, hard drives have all kinds of things that can go wrong, too.

But, in the end, you're right. The Pi is a terrible file server. It was never supposed to be one. It's a low grade, obsolete smartphone SoC pressed into service as an educational/hobbyist embedded and IoT platform. The only virtues it has as a file server are that it does have a storage and network interface, it runs Linux, and it's dirt cheap if you can pull a 2a USB power supply and MicroSD card out of a drawer. But, if you have any expectations about performance or reliability, you can expect to be disappointed.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Often, (quality) flash memory will stop accepting write actions and switch to read-only

Bad flash memory will just stop responding alltogether

On SSDs once you hit a certain threshold it will convert that data in to read-only, and will section off that chunk of flash memory to no new writes. If you reformat a well-used 2012 era 128gb drive you might only get 96gb usable space.

So yeah flash memory is fast as hell but it wears out about 10x as fast as slow rotational magnetic media.

Modern 2014+ SSDs are so reliable you don't need to really worry about that during your lifetime, but SD cards and other garbage consumer quality media has a finite lifespan, yeah. eMMC memory on some of the RPi clones is both faster and slightly more reliable. I wouldn't use an RPi in a life-saving medical device that was expected to last more than 24 months. The insurance company might limit that down to 6 months though.

eMMC is literally just memory card components soldered onto a board - it stands for "embedded multimedia card." If a company is building an integrated product they'll have to support (like a tablet that comes with a warranty), they may shell out extra money for better components, but eMMC isn't better in and of itself.

Also, if you use a Raspberry Pi for anything life-critical, even for a second, you are loving insane.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Have you guys seen this thing? For $29 shipped I don't think I've ever impulse bought something so quick in my entire life. Dunno if/when drivers will be avalible, but I imagine it should be soon for the Pi and similar devices. Holy poo poo.

$30 shipped! Holy poo poo: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0176M1GHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX5mMfhRjJo&t=2560s

It's been around for quite a while, and drivers capable of motion control probably won't ever be available on the Pi.

The Leap Motion hardware is pretty simple, which explains the low cost: it's just a pair of wide angle, high refresh rate grayscale IR cameras. The computational work to identify the user from the pictures and translate the whole thing into points in 3D space is handled on the host system. The drivers are x86/x64 binary-only, and even if they're ported to ARM, the Pi's hardware won't be able to handle low-latency tracking.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 25, 2016

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Currently, I drag a laptop to and from work every day to slap in a docking station with KB/m/video so I can hop on the external wifi to YouTube/Shoutcast/Forums. Is there a flavor of pi with the horsepower to replace this so I don't have to lug around a laptop?

No, not even close.

You probably want an Intel NUC.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

All the modern T and W series ThinkPads are "good laptops". They're just outside of your apparent McDonald's part time price range.

Work gave me a high-spec W540 a few years ago. It was full of baffling design decisions ("hey, you're troubleshooting wifi by turning the adapter off and on again! You probably want to be in airplane mode, which means 'airplane power mode', let me silently switch that buried option on and disable AC charging for you"), regular driver issues as Nvidia and Intel waged war over the display adapter, bluescreens if I so much as glanced in the direction of the Thunderbolt port, and a battery that lasted maybe 20 minutes of idle time after two and a half years and a couple hundred charge cycles.

Everybody I know at work who's picked the Thinkpad option post W/Tx20 has gone through similar nonsense. Systems integration is a real and very difficult problem. Apple does a better job at it than most because they control the entire stack from hardware to OS, and if there's a slapfight between the driver team, hardware team, and OS team, then they can work it out internally instead of just lobbing poo poo over the wall in public because they don't want to troubleshoot a bug. It does result in a better product.

IBM used to maintain the relationships, and had the muscle, to do something similar with Thinkpads. But at this point it's pretty clear that Lenovo's gone full HP printer on the Thinkpad line: people are willing to pay a brand premium because we have a reputation for good engineering, so we can switch to no-effort Wal-Mart level bullshit, and make insane money off those suckers while our reputation burns to the ground!

But, with all that said, a Raspberry Pi laptop would be even worse. Stop trying to make the poor thing do things it was never built to do and isn't good at.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

On the Pi, is there a way to control whether a USB port is powered or not? I'd like to use one to turn on/off a device that is just powered by USB. Maybe an Arduino would be better, but I think it'll be easier to do the zwave stuff from a Pi.

E: I can find ways to turn off the bus power for all of the USB, but that would take out the network and zwave dongle, so that's not great. Maybe I need to get a second USB hub on there.

Why not just switch 5V power with a relay?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

astral posted:

In the US, you can't turn around and get the cash for a retail gift card like that without reselling it (do any states even let you cash in the full value of a retail gift card if they're over $10?), so that wouldn't be considered cash-like here. Is it different in Canada?

According to the IRS, if your employer gives you a gift card that can be redeemed for any merchandise at a given face value, it's taxable income as if it were cash. There's not even a de minimis exemption. If your boss takes $5 out of petty cash, and buys you a latte at Starbucks, that's not taxable; "who gives a poo poo about a $5 coffee every once in a while?" is written into the tax code. If your boss uses that money to buy a Starbucks gift card, and hands it to you, that's technically $5 of taxable income.

https://www.irs.gov/government-entities/federal-state-local-governments/de-minimis-fringe-benefits

quote:

Cash or cash equivalent items provided by the employer are never excludable from income. An exception applies for occasional meal money or transportation fare to allow an employee to work beyond normal hours. Gift certificates that are redeemable for general merchandise or have a cash equivalent value are not de minimis benefits and are taxable.

(Realistically, the IRS won't care too much, as long as it's not some widespread "we pay some of our wages under the table in amazon gift cards" kind of thing. But the accounting department probably would care. Which is why it's probably better to buy some actual merchandise as a "recognition gift")

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Any general recommendations for a compact keyboard that plays nice with Pi's? I'm using an old leather laptop case as a kind of supernerd go-bag that has the Pi, power cord, mouse, HDMI cable, PS controller etc all together, but a full size keyboard just won't fit. I think if I just got one without a Numpad it would be fine.

edit: I see a few thin Bluetooth compacts on Amazon with good reviews, but I'm really looking for just a mechanical USB keyboard to maximize durability and reliability.

Any USB keyboard should be fine.

If you really want a small mechanical keyboard you could get something like the Vortex Core, with 47 keys and not even a number row (you have to use fn-key combos).

But, if you're not a keyboard nerd, you'd probably be better off with a cheap wireless compact like the Logitech K400 Plus at a third of the price. Wireless is really handy for a couch computer, and even cheap rubber dome keyboards are pretty durable.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Transformers don't have to be super large if they aren't making a lot of power, like the screen might need 52 volts but it's likely at a very low current draw compared to other parts of the system. But yeah there are 'tricks' to get higher voltage at the expense of lower current, like a boost converter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

It's interesting to pull apart an old camcorder from the analog tape era - a lot of them used tiny little monochrome CRTs, running somewhere in the neighborhood of a kilovolt, starting with the handful of volts a crappy NiCd battery pack could give.

A few people have actually turned them into displays for RPis, too. Since they generally run from a control board that takes low voltage and a composite video signal, it's not a difficult hack.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

What's my best option for a small screen to carry alongside a Pi for text editing only? Self/battery powered would be a plus but not required, not having to connect over an external network is a much bigger plus. I'm willing to do some tinkering if necessary.

What do you want to do, exactly? How big do you want the display to be?

Motorola made a failed "lapdock" product that was supposed to turn a phone into a laptop-like system - it has an internal battery, display, keyboard, touchpad, and even a bad webcam, and just connects over micro USB and micro HDMI. They're useful for Pi-type projects because you get a full set of laptop inputs and outputs for cheap. Used prices are probably in the $50-75 range, NOS for a bit more.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

It would not make a good router. Pre-4 Pis would be awful, because everything, including the onboard Ethernet and whatever other Ethernet or WiFi adapter you use, basically runs off a single bandwidth-starved USB port. A Pi 4 could work as a router if you already had all the parts handy, but it'd quickly end up more expensive, much more fiddly, and mostly less capable than a cheap dedicated router like an Archer C6 if you're buying most of the parts.

What are you trying to do?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Hadlock posted:

No wifi/bluetooth

And no OS, and you’d be hard pressed to put a full network stack in there. But that’s not really the point. The Pi is a way to put a complete (if low-powered) computer into a hobby project. This is a way to put basic smarts on the level of an IR remote or old-school CD boombox into a project.

Although it does look like the silicon is capable of some cool things with a bit of creative pushing. Dual DVI output entirely in software is blowing my mind a little, even if the PHY part needs a custom board and isn’t entirely in spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

xtal posted:

Don't you want a gyroscope and not an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is all you need to figure out up and down - just figure out where there's a ~9.8 m/s2 acceleration, and that's down.

A gyro will get you more responsive, accurate measurements of rotation, especially when you've got centrifugal effects to worry about. It's necessary if you want to build an artificial horizon, a game controller, or an image stabilization system. But, if you just want to do screen rotation, it's kind of overkill.