Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sporkstand posted:

lol remember brut IPAs?

Remember Belgian IPAs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sporkstand posted:

Speaking of IPAs...I see that Sierra Nevada is releasing this year's Celebration in cans. Unfortunately, they're only 12oz and not the far superior 16oz, but I'll take what I can get

This is a bad take. 16 oz cans are great for trying singles of beers you’ve never had before but for a beer like Celebration, you should be buying at least a 12 pack. And 12 packs of 12 oz cans is the ultimate beer package.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
16 oz cans are also a scam to squeeze more money out of you. They can sell you a 4 pack of 16 oz cans (64 oz of beer) for the same price you’d pay for a 6 pack of 12 oz cans (72 oz of beer) despite the packaging costs being cheaper.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Is SN Oktoberfest even in bottles this year? I’m only seeing it in cans.

It is not in bottles this year. I think they’ve moved their seasonal line completely to cans.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

danbanana posted:

It's actually been the opposite over the past couple of years. Places have had to (usually temporarily) move back to bottles due to a can shortage.

The can shortage has mostly subsided. I’ve heard of bottle shortages lately but it’s mostly from the macro breweries.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Partycat posted:

Seems like around here pour pricing is up ~$2 these last couple of months for local breweries.. Not sure how this looks elsewhere? I get the costs on everything are up everywhere, and an out of town sixtel sure, but I wonder if there's a bit of a pricing bubble going on. People are out enjoying themselves, but I wonder if places are trying to pull in a few more bucks to hedge against a COVID winter.

I know $5 pints are probably long gone but $9 and $10 pints feel like they're going to slow my roll.

Trucking is driving up the cost of everything. That includes brewing ingredients. Nothing that travels via long haul trucking or even local trucking is immune. I’m not sure it justifies a $2 raise in pint prices, but I have no doubt that costs have risen absolutely everywhere.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tremors posted:

Hey beer thread! I recently picked up a secondhand keezer and am very excited. I'm pretty sure it was a steal of a deal at $300.

It came with 5, 10 & 20 pound co2 tanks, various regulators, kegs, and a co2/n2 mix cylinder:

In position, with tap handles installed and a stout faucet swapped for the side:

I found these on ebay which arrived today:

Current plans are to get the co2/n2 mix cylinder swapped out for a pure n2 one which will run one of the 3gal kegs filled with cold brew through the stout faucet. The second 3gal keg will be used for the occasional draft cocktail. The other three taps will of course be used for a variety of beers. I can't wait to get homebrewing again! Next step will be to get a fresh coat of paint on the thing.

Love it! What Vandermill you got in there?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ruby Red Kolsch slaps and is cheap as poo poo.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

highme posted:

My breakfast booze is a Salty Dog (bonus points for Ruby Red) and Kolsch is my favorite German light style. What I’m saying is where is this from?

Genesee makes Ruby Red Kolsch

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I'm currently enjoying a Genesee ruby red kolsch

gently caress yeah. This poo poo owns.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I don’t normally think to look at IBU but I’m pretty sure this is the lowest I’ve ever seen actually printed on a bottle

Oh it’s our annual reminder that Sam Adams owns the Jack O Traveler name, recipe, and logo and releases it like this, and most of the people I talk to have no clue that it’s the same beer.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Yeah. It’s Jack O Traveler. They’re just really dumb and made it a Sam Adams beer and didn’t do anything to let people know that’s what it is.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

so Jack O Traveler is a beer that already existed, and now is repackaged as a sam adams beer?

Yeah the Traveler brewery went out of business and Sam Adams bought all the assets I think.

edit: actually a Reddit thread is saying that it was always at least partially owned by Boston Beer Co. a joint venture with the Magic Hat owner. They shut it down and now Jack O Traveler is the only remnant.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 15, 2022

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They sent out so much god drat SN Oktoberfest last year that it was still making GBS threads up the shelves in Feb and March. And now they take it away from us? Wtf.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I hate when ppl don’t answer the question so I’ll say: if you mean “light” as in abv, then something like Bells Light Hearted or Founders All Day IPA are perfectly fine but are more IPA based obviously. Light Hearted is only like 3.2% abv.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

given that their first question mentioned calories, I assumed it was about calories and not abv :)

They go hand in hand. Higher abv = higher calories. Both of those beers are pretty low in calories too. Light hearted is like 110 calories I think?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

All very interesting. I've never brewed anything in my life and (I guess naively) wondered if it all just came down to recipes. I know a couple brewers/owners but I can't exactly ask them "hey how come I'm never that excited to drink your beers" lol.

One thing I learned a few years ago was that recipes don’t really matter as much as you would think. Big time brewers aren’t looking for a consistent recipe when it comes to a given beer, they’re looking for a consistent flavor. And that might mean that from year to year the exact ratio of hops they’re using could change as like, mosaic or citra crops change from year to year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Waiting for Naturdays to drop again for my white body spring

Same, but Genesee Ruby Red Kolsch

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah you can do it on your phone in about 2 minutes. I bought some Narragansett instead though because they were in these sick throwback cans.

Narragansett 12 packs are gonna have a $2 off QR code starting June 1.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Alucard posted:

Yeah corny kegs rule for homebrew. My gripe with kegs of commercial beer is that you don't really get a volume discount by getting it (at least where I am that's true).

Meanwhile it's summer so I got a case of bud light with lime because it's a nice alcoholic soda to enjoy on hot days. Anyone who criticizes me is a bigot.

The volume discount usually comes at the 1/2 barrel level since it’s 3 times the beer compared to a 1/6 barrel but only twice the price.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Who the hell even drinks booze seltzers on the reg? Ive never known anyone to buy it for more than the novelty

High Noon is insanely expensive and still sells a gently caress ton. Craft cocktails never really took off but seltzers absolutely do insane numbers. Not to mention they’re the primary alcoholic beverage of pretty much everyone under the age of 25.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I recall last year one of the owners of Troegs on our tour told us they had to source cherries from a different place going forward. So the difference in color and flavor could also be from a different type of cherry being used.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Clausthauler is pretty solid too. Except the Clausthauler ISO which is bad. (But it does have what plants crave)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
We just started selling a new NA beer brand called Best Day Brewing and I tried 3 of them yesterday. One was a West Coast IPA, one was a Hazy, and the third was a Kolsch.

No joke, the Kolsch was maybe the best NA beer I’ve ever had. If I didn’t know it was an NA, I probably would have assumed it was just a run of the mill Kolsch. So if you happen to see it anywhere I highly recommend it.