Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

mysterious frankie posted:

Is Cigar City stuff available here in Chicago? I looked around the Binny's and didn't see anything. I know it's being served at pubs around town, because of the craft beer week, but not sure if it's available otherwise.

No. You can just find it on on tap at special events sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

Does some place have CC stuff on tap for Chi Beer Week? I didn't see anything.

I know Half Acre had some at their party last night. I don't know about other places.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Amazing DIPA + Galaxy Hops + Can = Awesome
Chigoons go get it! (Thanks ShaneB for the heads up).

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 25, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Where'd you get it? Liquor store, or straight from Half Acre?

Half Acre only. It's that or kegs at bars - no regular distribution. 1 four pack per person - I'd call to see if they still have it.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

enthe0s posted:

What exactly is a nitro beer? I picked up a 6 pack of Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro and I did the hard pour which looked :krad: but I don't really understand what the term nitro is supposed to mean. Does it mean that there was nitrogen added to the beer? Or does it refer to the awesome effect that happens from the hard pour? Or both?

Nitro is used instead of CO2 to carbonate the beer. It provides a smoother, different mouth feel from CO2. It's the same gas used in Guinness.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Its possible I've been misinformed, but I'm pretty sure Guinness is carbonated with CO2 like every other beer and the mouthfeel comes from pushing the beer to the glass at the tap using nitrogen, which causes some of the CO2 to be displaced by nitrogen. I don't think nitrogen by itself is soluble enough to carbonate the beer.

You're right that there is some CO2 used to originally carbonate the beer, but Nitrogen is the vast majority. Kosher is also right, if you took a growler of nitro beer from a bar it would be flat before you got home.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

I thiiiiiink that's how it's going down, if it ever does. That damned pink bottle!

Do you have some Malort to go with your poo poo, pain beer?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Apple Brandy Zhukov actually was terrible and overwhelmingly sticky sweet. It was basically everything I hate about beer lately.

I know I'm kind of known to be a hater, but I've honestly tried being positive about beer lately, especially in this thread. I simply think this was a terrible beer.

Yea, I have to agree. It was so sweet and the pours were way too big for that beer. Apple brandy barrels are tough, I think it's better to start with a drier beer. That Pannepot Grand Reserva 05 is an example of apple brandy done well.

The Vanilla Dark Lord was overly sweet in a great way though. Mmm marshmallows.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Had a little tasting last night.

Otiose, Darkness, and the Perfect Storm were the highlights. Jai Alai and the Cuvee were both disappointing.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 2, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Ubik posted:

Sorry I couldn't make it out - I was just too loving beat after work. Brewing's not an easy job. :)

No excuses!

Darkness 09 was actually pretty fantastic. Definitely no raspberry or fruit flavors. Lots of cocoa and creamy mouthfeel.

@ Bart

Cuvee de Tomme was this years. It was flat as hell and was very spicy, almost like a winter warmer. Very little sour. It smelled great but was really underwhelming.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Is there any Ballast Point stuff in Chicago?

Nope. Some in Southern IL (think Champaign), but nothing in Chicago.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

DC beer goons, help me.

I'm going to dc and staying in the DuPont circle area on my honeymoon and am looking for some nice food and beer suggestions (but they don't have to be together). Metro, walking, and taxi are all available. I know of churchkey but not much else.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

Went out for a birthday drunk last night. Nothing special, except my last drink: de Struise Pannepot Grand Reserva 2005. Velvety, fruity, rich. Might have been past its prime age, but I might have been past my prime tasting ability, too.

Shane and I had two of these earlier this year at a quad tasting and it was easily the best beer of the night.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Do any of you chi goons know where you can get Daisy Cutter (besides the brewery) now a days? I want a 4 pack or two for this weekend, but for the love of god I haven't seen it in stores in ages.

Whole Foods tend to have them but they are a buck higher than Binnys. Also if you "know a guy" at your Binnys.

That said the brewery is the only sure bet for fresh Daisy.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Ubik posted:

Stopped by Norse after running some errands today, and got to try a few new things. They have (or had, the owner said the keg was running low) Boulevard Brett Saison on tap, which was a marvelous beer: plenty of saison dryness and a perfect level of funk and earthiness from the Brett.

I drank way too much of that this weekend at Norse. So good.

I really do like that bar, especially in comparison to the shittiness/expense of Hopleaf.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Tigren posted:

I find Deschutes' Hop in the Dark to be a really solid dark IPA. It's got the hops and lighter body of an IPA with roasty, toasty flavors you'd expect from a porter/stout. It's not just an IPA colored black.

No Deschutes in Chicago.

Eddie, maybe Sublimely Self Righteous from Stone or Dubhe from Uinta? I can't say it's my favorite style so I rarely go out of my way for it.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

I suggest you create a complex game that will take all the fun out of this.

I tried to make a tasting as miserable as possible while doing this.

Here is the aftermath.

2011 Utopias
Frangelic Mountain Brown
2009 Nemesis
2011 BCS
2011 Samael's
2012 Decadence
Love Child #2
2010 Enigma
2009 Third Coast Ale
Sobrehumano
2010 Bommen & Granaten
2004 Pere Jacques
2009 Paradox Port Dundas
2010 KBS

High point for me was either the Bommen or the Decadence. I love me some barleywines. Pere Jacques was surprisingly good after all this time. Low point was the paradox, that beer fell off completely and was almost tasteless.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 28, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Some of the blend of Utopias has been aging for 18 years in barrels. It's flat as a pancake.

I opened the Utopias weeks ago for my bachelor party / wedding, so we were just finishing it up with some other people yesterday. That said, I don't see the point in letting it sit around. It's not hoppy and is remarkably smooth for 28%. It's very much like a cordial; nothing like regular beer.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

BoredByThis posted:

Edit: Also, so this isn't a no content reply, Founder's Devil Dancer was unbalanced and less enjoyable than I have experienced in recent years. Also, I managed to pick up a '97 Triple Bock off the shelf during my last excursion to Milwaukee. Anybody in Chicago game to try a 15 year old beer?

I would gladly drink this and go find the donut beer so we can be miserable all night.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Jahoodie posted:

In other news, I saw a 750 of Frangelic Mountain Brown on the shelf for $22. Not wanting to try the hype that much.

What hype? It sat around here in Chicago, which is saying something. It also sucks.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

ST's facebook definitely had pictures of Pumking labels running through their bottling line recently, so it could be from this year

I saw cases of fresh pumpking in Chicago at a whole foods. It could be 2012.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Midorka posted:

And that's you're problem, that you're stuck in this mentality that just because one side may have gotten better beer overall, that the other side was ripped off. It's not as if I sent a case of Natural Light over for the Surly. It's like you're not only severely discrediting Sixpoint, but you're also making it a competition of sorts, which is everything I dislike about trading. It's also not as if I said that I was sending a mystery box, the person made a post wanting Sixpoint beers for their Surly, no one got ripped off despite how many times you would like to repeat it.

Still doesn't change the fact Sixpoint is disappointing; everything they make is middling. Not bad, just nothing interesting. I get your point though, if the guy really wanted to try Sixpoint then it was a perfectly acceptable trade.

Ninja Vs. Unicorn is the same as my opinion on Sixpoint. Not the mind blowing DIPA lots of people like to make it in Chicago. Solid but just ok. I'd rather buy two Hop Stoopids for the price of one of those.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

I heard September 20th is when it's hitting shelves.

Binnys Lakeview had tons of pallets in the back last week. I'm pretty sure they are already on sale.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

The funniest part about popeyes is all the 3 Floyd's stuff on the walls. A six pack holder of gumballhead is super special.

I can confirm there is lots of oskar blues around, it's just expensive as hell. Lincoln park binnys has pallets of it.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Docjowles posted:

If it's any consolation, OB is (relatively) expensive in their home region, too.

10 a sixer and 15 a four pack. The only one that makes me sad is Gordon. It's fantastic, just not sure about that kind of price in a four pack.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

BoredByThis posted:

I've got 06-12+'10 Vanilla, and '11 Bramble, the difference is I plan on drinking mine. Soon.

What do I need to bribe with to get in on this? I'll offer my house as space!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

BoredByThis posted:

Was walking around Loyola last night and went into a nondescript package goods store on Sheridan. Went to the cooler, and there by its lonesome was a single bottle of Frangelic Mountain Brown. Now I know that it's a polarizing beer, but to see it just sitting in a cooler this long after release, I took it as a sign and grabbed it. This along with a bottle of FFF/Mikkeler Risgoop have accounted for my impulse beer purchases recently.

So far north and you didn't even say hello. What store are you talking about?

Beer talk -

Why must my normal store get so many sours in? I had to buy them all...
Tart of Darkness, Oude Tart, Lou Pepe Kriek 2009, and Cuvee de Champions.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

It was Binnys Lakeview.

That said, knowing that doesn't help much. The bottles that did come in were unexpected on their part and never ordered by Binnys. Apparently the new distributor for Cantillon in Chicago has been really screwing up. I go there most weeks, and they just had them randomly. I know they're sold out now (they only got like 6 bottles of each).

@Bored - That's only like 3 blocks from my place now. I just bought a house right off Pratt. I'm surprised that place had that - it's very much an underage beer store / old man bar.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

Ditto. Was thinking maybe it was West Lakeview. I'll be honest: I've pretty much given up on Binny's for anything resembling limited run (except the Elmwood park one, which tends to have stuff sit). I find much better luck with smaller shops.

I feel you completely.

Skokie Binnys does a lottery drawing each time. No money to put in and they just call you to pick your stuff up if you win (works for me since I work up in Skokie). Lakeview has been awesome because I'm a regular. They put aside a one bottle each for their regulars, then sell the remainder first come first serve. People line up outside the place on Thursday mornings when something crazy comes out...

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Ubik posted:

What the hell, when did you and I become neighbors? I'm in an apartment on Pratt as well.

I moved from Edgewater to Rogers Park last month. I bought a house on Wayne. Where on Pratt do you live?

Beer talk - 3 Floyds Zes Zes Zes is pretty delicious, but nothing like a Belgian Saison. Super FFF hoppy.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

Deschutes to Illinois in the new year. Have had a few of their standard things and wasn't super impressed. Liked this years' Black Butte anniversary very much. And once bought a bottle of Abyss and gave it to a friend for X-Mas. Not because I'm nice but because I had never heard of it at the time and he likes stouts.

That's pretty amazing news as I have wanted to try their offerings. They're only starting with regular offerings though (as much as I want those too, I want the fancy barleywines too...)

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Quick picture from a new house tasting from last week.

Thomas Hardy's oh my lord thank you, Shane.

The Ølfabrikken Winter Porter was so infected it was hilarious. I didn't think you could make a spiced beer even worse, but this did.

*Edit* @Tigren - No, this was my last bottle from the original batch. Still remarkably solid for its age. Serious dry hop was gone, obviously, but still pretty tropical.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 19, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Kudosx posted:

How did you like the Barrel Aged Naked Evil? I missed out on it during the initial release, but I might have the chance to get some very soon... it is like $20/bottle though

It sucked and was not worth the money at all. Almost no barrel character and easily the second worst beer of the evening after the infected one. Maybe Shane can remember more details than I.

Sirotan posted:

Is the Westy from that gift set that I'll never actually see in person? Haven't ever seen their bottles with a label/mark like that before.

That bottle is from one of the Canadian Westvleteren gift boxes.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

crazyfish posted:

Speaking of the Westy gift boxes, when are those supposed to come out in the US? I last heard this past April, but April has come and gone without a peep.

Cross posting from the Chicago thread!

"Talked to a binnys store and beer manager about this. Came out in Cali and Canada, but there is currently no guarantee it will come to Chicago and definitely no time frame."

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

people in my neck of the woods were pretty stoked for Madame Rose and it disappeared quickly. i like it, but was really hoping for a stronger fruit presence.

All three of gi's sours have been pretty underwhelming lately, especially considering the price. I can find madame rose even at the grocery store still in Chicago.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Modern Automaton posted:

Pretty strange seeing as how they are in the midst of hop land. What are you guys/gals getting into fresh hop these days?

For me I am enjoying the following, Half Acre Mr. Ouroboros. They just released a 32oz. growler, so I wanted to stop by and grab that as well as their fresh hop beer. It's a punch of fresh citra hops and absolutely fantastic.

I know I have shilled for Half Acre before, but I had another circumstance where they were absolutely awesome. I showed up to grab that mini-growler today, and they asked me what I was up to. I didn't have anything going on, so they invited me to their "soft" opening of their tap room. It was only for industry folks and regular customers, and everything on tap was 100% free. The space was great and everything is fairly priced. All you Chicago folks go check it out when you can!

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 2, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Sirotan posted:

They just tweeted that it's open today at noon so you are in luck!

And Paul Proteus please know that you have all of my hate. Wish I lived close to Half Acre. :(

Yea I was going to post the same thing. They told me yesterday is was opening today.

When they bring back Callow Knife I am going to drown myself in it.

Right now they had 8 different beers on tap in the room, plus two or three other different ones in the store? You can get growler fills in either location.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 2, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

crazyfish posted:

I heard that there were trademark problems in IL so the limited shipment that came here had to go back to Stone, so your chances of seeing it on Chicago shelves are near zero.

Really? I got a bottle from binnys right when it came out. Very limited quantities came in though.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

I saw this... and I need to stop making all of my social outings revolve around beer....

Shane and I went to Jerry's the other day for a Half Acre Vallejo cask tapping. It's a nice place but pretty expensive. Also they have no idea what temperature to serve their beers at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Drinking a 2010 Bigfoot, sooo good. Hops have faded more than expected (they tend to last a bit longer), but this rich burnt sugar taste is fantastic.

In other Chicago non BCS news, Half Acre is re-releasing their barleywine. Its similar to Bigfoot but has their own hop twist.