Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Lots of awful awful people on Ratebeer actually believe that Hopslam is total dogshit after a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

It won't be nasty unless it's still fermenting. In general. Some beers are pretty awesome off the tanks. Lagers shine if you like a slight sulfury note (who doesn't?).

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Points off for misspelling "Cantillon." C'mon Teresa's.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Ughh.

Ughhhhhhhhh.

And a local place a ways back had a beer called Teenage Mutant Ninja Porter. When I ordered it I asked for "the porter" because that's really embarrassing to have to say in public.

Brewers have to be the worst people in any industry at naming their products.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Soon Jai Alai will supplant all of them as the best canned IPA :smug:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

air- posted:

Hunahpu's Day is this weekend. That tap list just blew my mind. :stare:
http://www.facebook.com/cigarcitybeer/posts/365609000125851

I've been sorting this poo poo all loving day. It actually kinda sucks because there's also like 30 other CCB beers so yeah we have maybe 32 taps we'll be using for 60+ beers. :unsmigghh:

CalvinDooglas posted:

$40 wtf?? If I paid that much for a beer I'd make sure every drat drop of it went in my mouth, tasty or not.

I don't know if drainpouring a $40 beer is a Beer Snob Fail or a new level of Beer Snobbery: rather than sucking it up and convincing yourself that the beer was awesome, like a normal beer snob would, you just said "nope, this $40 beer isn't doing it for me".

Back in the day I probably would've drank it no matter what, but if he can't drink it at all, what's the point? It's a waste of money no matter what, why punish yourself further

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Because it's just being a wasteful little brat to pour out $40 of anything because it "doesn't taste good enough."

You're already a wasteful little brat by paying 40 dollars for a loving beer, might as well go the extra step

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Sinteres posted:

That tap list for Hunahpu's Day looks incredible, but I'm a little bummed about the decreased bottle limit. Of course I would have been a lot more bummed if I went and wouldn't be able to buy any at all, so I'll deal with it.

Yeah that was the idea. Some people are pissed but it makes sense in the long run. But just so you know, we're not going to run out no matter what.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Final Hunahpu's Day taplist:

Hunahpu's
Jai Alai
Maduro
Hotter Than Helles
Tocobaga
Marzen
Florida Cracker
El Lector
Humidor Series IPA
Church on a Hill
Jose Marti
Cubano Espresso
Kalevipoeg
Patio Tools
Minaret
Bourbon barrel-aged Big Sound
Raspberry Saison
Vuja De
Bohr
Dirac
E&J's Smokeout Stout
Honey Vanilla Black Lager
Pineapple Blonde
Campeador Greaves
Rum barrel-aged Imperial Milk Porter
Blueberry Lager
Bohr/Dirac Blend
Nielsbohrium
Oak-aged Dirac
Palm Ridge barrel-aged Bohr/Dirac
Blueberry White Ale
Those Candies Your Granny Loves Brown Ale
El Murcielago
Strawberry White Ale
Palm Ridge barrel-aged Vuja De
Sam-I-am-buca Baltic Porter
Marron Acidifie
Red Wine barrel-aged Sea Bass
Red Wine barrel-aged Vuja De
Mocha Cubano Brown
Cookies and Milk
Blueberry Muffin Brown
Hungarian Oak Peach IPA
Smokabaga
Check It and See (Hot Blooded aged in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels)
Whiskey barrel-aged Hunahpu's
Rum barrel-aged Hunahpu's
Palm Ridge barrel-aged Hunahpu's
7venth Sun Midnight Moonlight Berliner Weisse
Avery Trogdor the Burninator
Ballast Point Smoke Screen Helles
Ballast Point Sour Wench Blackberry Ale
Bold City Mad Manatee
Bold City Killer Whale
Bold City Duke's
Dunedin The Moar Wheat Ale
Dunedin Noggin Black Cherry Pale Ale
Founders Breakfast Stout
Founders Imperial Stout
Funky Buddha Last Snow Porter
Funky Buddha Floridian Hefeweizen
Funky Buddha Passionfruit Berliner Weisse
Green Room Undertow Barley Wine
Intuition People's Pale Ale
Johnathan Wakefield's Miami Madness Berliner (guava, mango, passionfruit)
Johnathan Wakefield's Phat Bottom Berliner (hidden rose apples)
Johnathan Wakefield's PFDF Berliner (passionfruit, dragonfruit)
Lost Abbey Angel's Share
Lost Abbey Deliverance
Port Brewing Older Viscosity
Samuel Adams Dark Depths Baltic IPA
Samuel Adams Griffin's Bow Oaked Blonde Barley Wine Ale
Samuel Adams Tasman's Red IPA
Shipyard Emporium Palm Ridge barrel-aged Porter
Tequesta Oak-aged Vier Belgian Quad
Three Floyds Alpha King Pale Ale
Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf Imperial IPA
Three Floyds Dark Lord Imperial Stout
Three Floyds Oak-aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout (Heaven Hill barrels)
Three Floyds Dreadnaught Imperial IPA
Three Floyds Sand Pebbles American Brown Ale
Three Floyds Stygian Darkness Dark Belgian Strong Ale
Three Floyds Topless Wytch Baltic Porter
Three Floyds Zombie Dust Pale Ale

:stonk:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Line for Hunahpu's Day started around 3am it seems.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

deadwing posted:

Really? I thought for sure that they would run out far before case sales were on at 7:30 with how much busier it was than last year and the same bottle count. I pretty much peaced out right away after getting my five bottles (mule lyfe till the next lyfe). Seriously, there had to at least be five times the people there. I had plenty of delicious sour beers and otherwise expensive beers (5 bucks for an 8 oz pour of Angel's Share? Yes please), and left with a minimal sunburn. Didn't waste my time with any of the "rare" taps, there was plenty of great stuff to go around without waiting in that huge line for the aged Dark Lord. The sour beers went much better in the rather warm weather anyway. :cheers:

We had plenty of beer for the first run-through of bottle sales. Still 1000 bottles left once the bottle limit was raised.

The event was pretty badass. Over 5,000 people attended, slightly exceding our expectations of 1,500-2,000. Highlight for me was tapping Oak-aged Dark Lord at 9am and trying it :smug: No actually it was Wakefield's sours. Amazing every time.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Seeing all these stores getting KBS just makes me more puzzled as to why so many people lined up for the KBS release. I understand Dark Lord and Hunahpu's; you're not getting those bottles anywhere else (legally).

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Hey I'm going to be flying out to Denver at the end of April to pilot and finalize all of Cigar City's can artwork so if anyone wants to goon out and drink a beer or two with myself (and the owner of CCB) lemme know. It'll be awkward as hell probably!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

deadwing posted:

Hell yeah, one step closer to distribution in Florida.

Unlimited access to 1554 :allears:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Why are people here against drainpouring beer. Is it some pride thing. If it sucks, it sucks. You've already wasted the money on a bad beer whether you dump it or not. Why submit yourself to something that sucks. There's a lot of good beer out there, don't drink the ones you dislike, else you become some loathesome jaded RB/BA ticker

nah
Mar 16, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

i see that CCB's Marshall Zhukov is a summer release- can anyone in the know tell me how easy that would be to find in the Tampa area in June? got a guy who wants to trade something for one, but i had forgotten that my brother will be down there in a little over a month, so i don't want to "waste" the trade (so to speak).

Zhukov's should be easy to get. Hell I think some places still have last year's batch floating around so it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone at Dark Lord Day manage to get their hands on any Cigar City beer? Just curious what their thoughts were. Especially on Blueberry Muffin, my creation :)

nah
Mar 16, 2009

air- posted:

So Baltimore people: I'll be heading to Camden Yards to watch a game tonight with some visiting friends who are Rangers fans. I've read that the craft situation there has improved. Where are the good taps located in the park? Does anyone know if that new Dempsey's brewpub there has good beer? I guess I may have to be the guinea pig since it sounds like it just opened not too long ago.

Was it cool to see Hamilton's 4 homers?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The bubble bursting will mostly be seen on the retail level. Distributors are having trouble keeping up with all the brands as it is, and more breweries bottling more beers is only going to add to that. The stores will have issues keeping up with all of it.

I think what this all means is that you're going to see more love and focus on the brewpub model of business. Here in the Tampa area, there's a small new brewery called 7th Sun. The place is tiny; you walk in and you're arm's length from everything in the brewery. They brew small 3bbl batches one at a time. Everything either doesn't leave the tasting room or only goes to a few select bars here and there (when they have the beer). They barrel age a lot of stuff too and have already had several well-attended small bottle releases. It's the business model I'd recommend for anyone who wants to get into the industry. I can't imagine trying to compete rforwith shelf-space with a completely new untested brand now.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah I think we have a special thing going on with Half-Acre or something. We sent them stuff last year, too.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

SketchyNick posted:

cyberslimer when can Florida goons expect to see ccb cans/patio pils?

Just brewed Patio Pils so it'll be released in 5-6 weeks. Cans we're hoping for August

nah
Mar 16, 2009

saints gambit posted:

Hey guys.

I feel like I've transgressed the thread a little. I'm the only nationally syndicated beer critic in Canada, and I was in San Diego at the CBC. I may have mentioned to the Cigar City dudes that at least one of them was a goon. I also said that whoever that was was fair, balanced and rational in talking about beer and a really good employee choice.

So, if you were wondering, Cigar City employee, that was me.

:getin:

Kosher man posted:

Geiger is the goon and he was not there. It was Joey and Justin at CBC (I was there as well) and I am sure neither of them knew what the hell you meant by Goon.

Justin texted me to tell me that some guy from some website was complimenting me. He was confused and probably thinks less of me now.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

congratulations, PA goons, for a step in the right direction!

That's pretty awesome for them. I don't think I have ever purchased a case of beer in my life and can't imagine being limited to that.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

air- posted:

Churchkey's full listing of SAVOR events are here, for anyone interested.
http://maildogmanager.com/page.html?p=0000015Fu8vh/srjsp1AOBjOcss6115wqenQ

We're sending a lot of awesome stuff and Funky Buddha is pretty much sending all of the cool beers they've ever done. Looks pretty amazing.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

escape artist posted:

Can someone tell me which beers age well and which ones do not?

Because sometimes I am reluctant to purchase a beer because I notice it has passed its "sell by" date.

Stouts and barleywines age well, correct?

IPAs not so much?

Could you give me a brief overview of which beers age well and which do not?

I once had a super-old Nostradamus brown ale and it was the worst thing I've ever tasted, and I know that is a solid brew.

Generally: don't age beer. Some styles change over time but there's not many that actually get better. The vast majority of beers you buy will get worse within a couple of months.

Now, if you want to experiment and see how different beers change over time, by all means, it can be fun to do. IPAs lose their hop character but sometimes that can reveal a pretty interesting malt bill underneath (I think our Jai Alai is like this, for example).

People like to age barrel-aged beers because they're special and cost 20 dollars a bottle and they want to save them for special events and whatnot but they're really not meant to be aged. They've already aged for a while and are (more often than not) not released until the brewers have decided it tastes good enough to bottle.

Some beers are super boozy and get more mellow as they age. But to me, that just means they're lovely beers to begin with.

Of course there are like guezes and lambics and brett bombs and all that poo poo but those are a whole different animal.

To summarize: aging beer generally doesn't make a beer better, it just changes it, more often than not for the worst.

escape artist posted:

I tried to chug it just so I wouldn't waste so much money, but I nearly threw up.

The money has already been wasted once you realize how much you hate it. I don't understand the mentality of "drinking it = not wasting the money." But luckily you realized this. If a beer is terrible, don't drink it. And yes, that beer is loving gross.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Corbet posted:

Man, you should really talk to the brewers over at Deschutes and tell them they're doing it wrong with that whole "Best AFTER" dating they put on their bottles.

Yeah I hate that poo poo.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

ShaneB posted:

"Look, brewery, your beer should ONLY be made to be drank IMMEDIATELY otherwise it's BAD BEER"

I like it when you're not probated. How long will you keep this up though? :iiam:

Our collab with Funky Buddha and Bluejacket is pretty awesome. It's an ode to candy bars and snacks and crap. 270 lbs of peanuts were added. It tastes like gooey peanut butter, salted caramel, licorice....some other delicious things.

escape artist posted:

I've literally only drain-poured two or three beers in my entire life. I mean, chugging a bottle of Nyquil or Robitussin (I know-- super dangerous, don't do it) would be easier than drinking that entire beer (Voodoo Doughnut Maple Fuckyourself).

Most beers aren't terribly offensive. They're either boring or underwhelming. Sometimes new flavors appear as it warms up, so it's okay to even finish bad beers.

But this Rogue ale is the definition of a drain-pourer..

Why even finish a bad beer? What's the point? If you don't want it, why finish it? To get drunk I guess? Maybe when you're in the industry and surrounded by underwhelming beers all the time it's different.

nah fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 25, 2012

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Midorka posted:

Apparently Funky Buddha and Cigar City are doing an event today in Philly for Philly Beer Week and I already have plans. Here's the tap-list, tell me how much I'm missing out:

Cigar City Taps:
Dos Costas Oeste (Lemonwood Aged)
Habanero Mango Red Ale
Bone Valley Brown Ale
Cucumber Saison
Jai Alai

Funky Buddha Taps:
Passion Fruit Berliner Weisse
Bobita Applebum

Cucumber Saison is amazing and so are the two Funky Buddha beers. The Applebum is like apple pie in a glass, and although a bit two sweet for my tastes, it's still pretty awesome to experience. The berliner is probably the best beer on the list.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

air- posted:

Thursday night beat the poo poo out of me. A clusterfuck crowd came out for the the Cigar City/Funky Buddha/Bluejacket event at Churchkey. Something was also wrong with their draft lines as a lot of the beers were pouring extremely foamy and needed additional time to settle, so that further slowed down the service. I drank 3 4oz tasters in 45 mins (ouch).

Funky Buddha Raspberry Berlinerweiss: Ruby-ish color with huge tart raspberry aromas/flavors. Super acidic and pretty much what you see is what you get.

Funky Buddha No Crusts: loving WOW. Instantly dethroned Duck Rabbit Brown as the best brown ale I've ever had. Very nutty and almost like getting slapped in the face with a PB/J sandwich. There's a little bit of bread crust in the mouthfeel too.

Cigar City Cucumber Saison: I was into juicing at one point so I was a fan of this beer. Refreshing, really herbal, lightly peppery, and smooth. Very interesting beer.

The reason the beers were all foamy was because the shipping company transporting our kegs to the event was extremely late, so the beer arrived an hour late and were hot as poo poo. That sucked. But otherwise the event went great by all accounts. Wish I could have went. :(

Glad you liked the Cucumber Saison. We just sold 30 cases in a few hours on Saturday. That poo poo is money.

Munkaboo posted:

I bet you had a nice Asian Glow at the end of the night. I still would pick CCB/FB over that list, but im a HUGE sucker for CCB.

I talked with the CCB brewmaster and another cool CCB guy. Apparently they might be pulling out of Richmond, VA and DC soon :

That was my night. All 4oz'ers though... I wouldve died otherwise.

Our brewmaster wasn't there, only Joey (owner/CEO), Justin (vice-president) and Phil (South Florida sales rep).

Also glad you liked Snack Attack! It's an intense beer. I can't drink much of it, so drat big and boozy, but the peanut character is pretty delicious. Can't touch No Crusts, though :allears:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

Ah, who is the guy with long black hair? I was kinda tipsy so I can't remember. I think that was Joey.

Pretty sure that's Luke from Swamp Head :v:

On the right.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

That doesn't sound like anyone from the brewery I'm afraid :( Would describe Wayne (head brewer) about 2 years ago, though.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Hop extract owns, CCB uses it in a lot of beers.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Welp I got incredibly plowed at Cigar City last night. Xenu is an amazing loving lager. God I love lagers :allears:

Got a big sour fest today then tomorrow we're selling growlers of Apple Brandy barrel-aged Zhukov's for the family of Ben Harris, dude from Redhook who died in a freak exploding keg accident.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Reject posted:

The wife and I went to the sour festival today. That prickly pear berliner was pretty excellent. Do y'all ever bottle it?

That's cool, I was one of the dude's pouring the CCB beers. And no, we only brewed a small pilot batch. Doing a large batch of it seems nigh impossible considering the way we brew berliners. Not sure how big breweries do it.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Any FL goons oughta head to Cigar City soon, we tapped a pretty special beer and are selling growlers.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

deadwing posted:

What special beer is this? I wouldn't be able to make it until tomorrow at around five thirty or six anyway, so it'd probably be gone by then anyway. :(

It will be. Be there. Seriously.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Has to be better than pacman yeast :v:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

deadwing posted:

What special beer is this? I wouldn't be able to make it until tomorrow at around five thirty or six anyway, so it'd probably be gone by then anyway. :(

BTW the special beer is Brandy Barrel-aged Hunahpu's.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

deadwing posted:

Aww balls. I wanted to stop by tonight but work kicked the poo poo out of me and I didn't feel like dealing with 75/I4 during rush hour. :(

Hopefully it'll be back soon.

And I say this with some awesome news: I'm being promoted as the dude in charge of all the beers in the tasting room! Pretty loving awesome. Basically a dream of sorts.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

wattershed posted:

Most importantly though, while you might find a brewery which makes *a* better IPA (RR, Hill Farmstead), as a stable of beers nobody makes a whole line of IPAs in the world better than Alpine.

Hill Farmstead is pretty amazing. We've had several of their beers on tap the last few days at CCB. Their hoppy beers are perfect. Well aside from the fact that they look like dogshit.

We're releasing Cognac barrel-aged Church on a Hill English Barley Wine tomorrow. No one knows yet, so this is the ~*~world exclusive~*~ announcement :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Also we're brewing our pumpkin beer in 2 weeks :unsmigghh: