Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've spent most of the day crushing German helles and kolsches in the sun. Feelsdrunkman

Honestly, really hard to go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

Paulaners helles is like $1 for a tallboy here, barely more than the garbage macro lagers.

For me this is The One

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

Omg so loving good, on my third:

It's gone up to £3.50 in Tesco but I don't care, I could drink this all daaaaaaaaaaay

Apparently they had the pricing hosed when it was released. At quid a can for a DIPA the supermarket were definitely losing money. Still absurd value!

I took delivery from a local pub just now, thats shifting two hundred cases a week at the moment! Can't go wrong with a 700 year old German brewer as beers go either.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

The best thing about it is it's so fruity and smooth you can barely taste the alcohol. It's dangerously drinkable.

Salt are a fairly new brewery, less than 2 years old I believe. We've got lots of microbreweries in the UK now putting out some fantastic stuff, Vocation, Northern and Magic Rock are all up there too.

Deya, Cloudwater, Verdant are probably the top hazy boys. The standard in general has gone really high the last few years here though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kosher man posted:

Yes but they have Colin at the Helm. Colin has brewed at Marble, Black Isle, Buxton, and Northern Monk. He is a great brewer.

Thats a hell of a CV. Explains a lot.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I got confused for a sec and thought that was by the excellent Garage Beer out of Barcelona

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

MunchE posted:

Hop Wars were a lot better than the Sugar Snacks Offensive we've been living in for a while

Every loving beer is candy/dessert flavored

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

True, but Vocation's Breakfast Club 2.0 is loving great.

It helps that it's not tooo sweet despite the adjunct list

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

As hop forward lagers go, Lost and Groundeds Keller Pils is pretty great.

Any of the other UK people tried Donzoko stuff?Intruiged by a craft brewery that focuses on lager.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Local brewery has put out the perfect antidote to oversweet bad milkshake IPAs

Conch - ESB 6.5% A modern extra special bitter,all burnt sugar and orange peel without being thick or cloyingly sweet.

I want to live inside a dimple pot of this beer and drown happy.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

funkybottoms posted:

our bottle labels are bad but this is terrible. it looks like a mimeographed elementary school newspaper from the 80s

OTOH if they were goong for a black metal aesthetic, it being a bit poo poo is very on point

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

God this beer is good, got a grip of Ponoma Island for my birthday and everything I've had from them so far has been an absolute banger

So much Sabro hops.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

On my third can of BrewDog O-G Hazy NEIPA, this stuff is dangerously smooth for a 7.2!

When it's good, it's good. The probalem is absolutely no supermarkets seem to keep them in the fridge, so the odds of getting a stale one are high.

Fore whatever reason my local Tesco gets days old Vocation Life and Death, still my choice of supermarket IPA

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yeah, has to be.

0.5% to 41%

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bring back brut IPA s imo

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

air- posted:

gently caress brut, kill hazy, marry torpedo

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

Drinking this, it's a great milk stout. The ring pull is cool as well! Can't help but feel this would be even better if it was nitro'd as it's really smooth as it is.

Just had one of these last night on your recommend, its good! Though my king of supermarket stouts is still the Evil Twin Brewdog 'Roaster Coaster'

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Josh Wow posted:

I know a guy who is very into cask beer and complains about most beer being overcarbonated, so he will often get an extra glass and pour his beer between the two glasses a few times to knock out some of the carbonation. Also if you let a beer just sit around opened it will lose some carbonation, so just always have an opened beer in the fridge.

Cask ale and stouts, my guy.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

funkybottoms posted:

^ <in Rick Ross voice> Mahou Money

picked up some marzen/festbier singles and so far it is: Ayinger > Paulaner/Hacker-Pschorr >>> Bitburger >>>>> Hofbrau

i normally like Hofbrau's fine, but i can't roll with diacetyl. Bitburger's is bad and has this weird, lingering something that i can't figure out, but that's the only reason i'm still drinking it.

Bitburger is crud, down there with Becks etc in the somehow bad German lagers.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

Tbh there's so little taste it's hard to even call it bad. It's just there and I don't mind crushing it in the summer.

In other news, omnipollo goes all in on the Dry hop thingy.

It says a lot that this is barely in the top 10 dikbest beer concepts they've done.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pretty sure this is a parody site.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

thotsky posted:

The article seemed to imply them as a possible buyer of Shelton Bros assets. If they're also able to pick up their contracts on importing European lambics (Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen) and various other funky beers that would make for an interesting pairing with their current handling of the export of Side Project, Hill Farmstead, Tired hands etc.

Thats a very long way from a monopoly, especially for us outside the US

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Scrotum Modem posted:

according to beeradvocate ratings, it's the 6th best beer in the world. I dunno, IPAs not my thing. #2 is a Marshmallow Handjob - as an imperial stout fan/addict I need to try that some time

BA ratings are now and always more based on rarity than quality

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

A lot of the better traditional german lager makers have been making pretty great af pilsner for forever

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I still dunno what a pastry stout is

A disgusting mess created because Americans are hopelessly addicted to sugar.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

This guy gets it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’m just putting this out there. I’m tired of IPAs. Let’s see something new.

Honestly? Classic Belgian strong ales and good lagers. I've come full circle here

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

LionYeti posted:

Sadly IPA's are super efficient at getting people drunk without it tasting like it. a 9% stout feels big and heavy whereas a 9% east coast IPA tastes like boozy orange juice.

Cocktails still remain king here.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Yeah. 13% percent stouts don’t belong in 16oz cans.

They belong in 750ml bottles

posting a very late reply because the UK is completely insane and you can now regularly get pastry stout 12% 440ml cans in supermarkets from good breweries. As a culture we are not equipped for this given the attitude to drinking here is a bit all gas no brakes.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

This beer is great, and it's awesome that Alchemist sells their beer for $13 a four pack.

I'm British and what on earth is a 'British Style Imperial Stout'?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

fuckpot posted:

I'm heading to Germany and Prague this October for what is essentially a food and beer drinking tour. I'm heading after Ocktoberfest as I'm not a big fan of the hustle and bustle and just want to stroll around at my own pace. Excitement about the trip has overcome me like I'm a little kid so I'm youtubing and googling like crazy. I'm pretty sure I'll have all the obvious beers and locations covered. Just wondering if there's any less obvious places or beers it'd be a travesty to miss out on that may not come up in my searches. I've got three nights in Munich and Prague and am also visiting Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Berlin and Hamburg.

edit: oh and I like/am willing to try any beer if it has a solid rep. If I was to have a preference it would be towards lagers and pilsners. But like I said, any beer any place.

Krusovice might be my favourite non-craft lager in the world, the pils and the dark both.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

VB tastes like piss regardless

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

RocketMermaid posted:

I've seen fresh hop/wet hop beers from places like Three Floyds as far back as the early 2000s, but it is definitely primarily a PNW phenomenon. Places like Yakima Chief are coming up with more and more interesting ways to preserve and ship them these days, though. Hell, I was working at Lagunitas back in 2015 when they were developing the process for Contents Under Fresher, where they could basically pulp fresh hops with deaerated water and store them in near-freezing temperatures for several months. It wasn't quite as potent as using them fresh off the bine, but it was definitely a nice bit of fresh hop character you could get almost any time of year.

Having come from Chicago, the PNW is definitely a bit... self-absorbed about its beer trends and traditions.

Reaching back a bit but fresh/green hopped have existed in the UK for like a hundred plus years, but rarely seen outside of Kent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

They've started selling a Vault City peach tea 3.4% sour in supermarkets and it might very well be the tape of the summer