Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I just posted this in the Chicago Thread if you're looking for a primer on the beer bars.

Beer Bars for Chicago.

I feel like I've posted this a couple of times, but it keeps changing so be patient.

Beer Bars:
Map Room - Close to 30 taps, 2 nitro, 1 engine, great bottle selection, absolutely mobbed on weekend nights.
Hopleaf - Phenomenal taplist (Belgian centered), expansive beer list, great food, douchebag bartenders (in my experience)
Clark St Ale House - Moderate tap list, moderate bottle list focus on local craft brews, great atmosphere, 4am.
Acre - Down the st from Hopleaf, excellent taplist, solid food, enormous space.
The Owl - Moderate taplist, solid can and bottle offering, decent prices ($2 Tap Tuesdays) 4am, really fun place.
Small Bar (2 locations) - Above par bar food, great beer list with excellent specials, Logan Square has a beer garden, Division is tiny, Fullerton location is now a Beer Bistro.
Bangers and Lace - Excellent sausage, esoteric taplist, pricy.
Fatpour - 50 taps, table tap novelty, Hasa couple of citywide exclusives.
Local Option - Great food, ungodly beer list of rarities, The place to go to try something you've never had.
Villains - Excellent chill place with a solid tap and bottle selection.
Maria's Package Goods - Great selection, option to buy at retail and drink in bar, excellent pricing.
Skylark - Great vibe, solid American craft list, excellent jukebox.
Beer Bistro - Upscale vibe, over priced, good lists.
Fountainhead - Decent food, esoteric and reasonably priced taps.
Edit: Delilah's - Best cellar in the city, excellent and well cared for taps and one of the best whiskey selections.
Edit: Twisted Spoke - Dig into the rare beer selection and never come out, also great tap list, and occasionally something really rare will be there without much notice.
Edit: Quenchers - Solid taplist, solid bottles and great music venue.

Brewpubs:
Revolution: Amazing food, 10-12 house beers on at all times, great bottle list.
Goose Island Clybourn: See above with 15-17 house taps.
Haymarket: Great American Pales and the Riot sandwich, also sweet potato tots.
Atlas: Meh, may give them another shot, beer was all 1 dimensional.
Dryhop: When they open they might steal the spotlight from Revolution.

Food with an emphasis on beer:
Publican: Holy poo poo beer list, incredible food.
Purple Pig: 90% of the quality of the above for 66% of the price.

Great Burgers with a Great beer list(listed differently due to burger focus):
Kuma's
Bad Apple
Lockdown

This was just a quick list off the top of my head. There are more, but those are a great starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Tuesday night, Beer Nerd Halloween at Small Bar Logan Square.

Small Bar - Logan Square posted:

Final Draft List for Beer Nerd Halloween this tuesday!

Allagash/de Molen Smoke and Beards
Bells Black Note
Breckenridge Nitro Oatmeal
Bruery Autumn Maple
Dogfish Head Punkin
Great Divide Fresh Hop
Great Lakes Nosferatu
Green Flash/St Fullien Friendship
Half Acre Vallejo IPA
New Holland Sour Attitude 1
Oskar Blues Nitro Smitty
Solemn Oath Man vs. Internet
Southern tier Pumking

Oh, we've also got a Firkin of Three Floyds Zombie Dust. It's gonna flow at 7pm sharp.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I'm trying to decide if I want to wear a costume or not.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Looks like I'll be spending my lunch tomorrow in Ravenswood.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Duck Rabbit has had infection issues recently, it's pretty well documented in the thread and other places.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I don't have $100 to drop on that, and while the food looks good, I'm solid on having tried all of the beers.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Also out right now is Dark Horse Scotty Karate, if you can get a hold of it. It's a great smoky-ish take on a Scotch ale and has one of the best labels in the biz.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Doh004 posted:

Bart yelled at me to post in this here thread because I said I don't enjoy Christmas beers because they taste like super bitter Christmas trees. My friends would always get happy when they should start buying the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and I just never got it. Would anyone happen to have some suggestions for "Christmas" beers? I generally enjoy "Winter" beers (lagers), it's just a huge amount of hops that I don't like (not a big fan of super overly hopped IPA's either, even though I like floral ones).

Sierra Nevada Celebration and Lagunitas Sucks are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to Christmas beers. Those two are really solidly built IPAs that happen to have a Holiday theme on the label. Another exception to the spiced Christmas Beers is Port's Santa's Little Helper, which is really just a really well made RIS. Goose Island Christmas, Great Lakes Christmas, Bruery Five Golden Rings, and any others that say something about cinnamon, clove and ginger on the label will be more up your alley, and more of what people think of as Christmas Beers.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

J.W. Lees has been doing barrel aged barleywines since at least 1998 (that was the oldest bottle that I've personally had), the barrels were sherry casks. It's not a new idea, but it's much more prominent than it was a few years ago.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

What time does that start, I might try to make it out for a bit, but I don't know that I can drink for 8 hours on Saturday and then board a plane to Costa Rica on Sunday.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

because all the packages go on high-speed conveyor belts and the paper can snag in the rollers. aside from being bad for the rollers, the label could be separated from the package and then they'd have no idea who it belongs to. UPS doesn't require you to box it, but it certainly best practice to do so.

Jerome from BFM is in town tonight and will be partying at Mekong, but it would be very irresponsible of me to go...

I expect a full report in the mid-morning, as that's about when you'll regain consciousness.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

You don't have to worry about it going skunky. Wrapping it will keep out the light (which is what causes skunking, UV Light hitting hop compounds). The temperature variation won't be anything that you should worry about, especially for the timeframe.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Agreed, though, I'm not entirely certain of when I could make it.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Not overhyped, exactly the right amount of hyped, and deservedly so.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Ubik posted:

Yeah, this is more or less my assessment of it. It's far from a bad beer and I'm perfectly happy with it, but next time I'll probably end up getting yet another sixer of Revolution Eugene. :3: (Or Founders Porter, or GL Edmund Fitzgerald.)

Also, I'm officially shocked by the beers that even crappy convenience stores have these days. The crapshack across from my apartment has off-brand everything and didn't even have white vinegar in their grocery aisle, but they had FW Union Jack, Deschutes Red Chair, a Unibroue mix box, and all the main Founders beers. Plus a few bottles of Frangelic Mountain Brown. :monocle:

Which I did not buy, by the way, because I hate hazelnut extract. I had to use that poo poo when I worked for Søgaards and it's impossible to make it taste like anything other than super-sweet artificial garbage in a beer.

Bruno's on Sheridan still had bottles of Bolt Cutter as of Thursday. I picked one up when I was there for rehearsal last week.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

runchild posted:

Clustertruck was fun last night, I had a delicious crawdad po' boy that came with some of the best red beans and rice I've ever had. This is the beer thread though, so how was the beer? I thought they were tapping their Bourbon Barrel I-65 Baltic Porter but it turns out I was a day early. They did have a guest beer by River City Brewing, but what I know about it is pretty limited because a) there are a hell of a lot of places/groups called "River City Brewing" and b) this particular one has a rather underwhelming website.

What I do know is that it was an Imperial Stout, our waitress said it was called "Death," and it was 11% ABV. I'm poo poo at giving tasting notes, so the best I can do is say it wasn't too dry, and had a spicy finish (pungent, not hot). I'm guessing the finish had a lot to do with the ABV but I'm no cicerone. I liked it and it went well with the po' boy. If anybody knows anything more about "Death" by River City Brewing let me know.

RiverTown did a Four Horsemen series earlier this year. Their version of Death is a RIS with Jolokia peppers. I have a bottle of it at home, but the last time I was in Ohio my shop didn't have the rest of the 4 (Famine, War, Pestilence), so I don't know what they're about.

BoredByThis fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 24, 2013

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Herr Tog posted:

Hey guys. I like beer too. Anyone got a good recommendation for a morning beer or is that not a thing anymore?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16043/43926

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I'll be someones DLD Buddy. I couldn't score a ticket, was looking at houses when the window opened and my phone's browser wasn't fast enough to get me in.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Chicago:

On Tuesday, March 26th the Aviary will be unveiling a collaboration more than 2 years in the making.

We sought out one of the most innovative, respected and maniacal beer minds on the planet- Belgian gypsy brewer, Evil Twin.

The exercise:
Step 1) Start with a truly amazing brew. One that beer fanatics would wrestle each other over. We landed on a Belgian Blonde that plays equally well on its own
and as a rock solid foundation for this project.
Step 2) Scour the globe for 9 of the most well crafted, rare & delicious spirits.
Step 3) Procure used barrels from said spirit producers.*
Step 4) Ship barrels to Belgium.
Step 5) Place amazing beer in barrels. Wait.
Step 6) Continue waiting....and waiting...and waiting. Over 1 year.
Step 7) Come to the Aviary to taste through the entire flight. Save room for the unveiling of Beer #10 in the series.
Step 8) Redefine the word "Epic".

1 year + Belgian Ale aged in barrels that held:
Pierre Ferrand Selection des Anges
Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy
Elijah Craig 12yr
George T. Stagg 2011
Parker's Heritage Collection
Plantation Rum
Casa Noble Extra Anejo
Clynelish
Laphroaig

And next Tuesday we will unveil the tenth beer in the series as well.
And don't forget that Jeppe will be joining us that night as well!

Tickets will be released this afternoon, they are limited to around 100.

More details to follow.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

ShaneB posted:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong that I live in Chicago and that post didn't excite me in any way, shape, or form. :(

Don't feel bad, I'd probably go to try the Laird's and the Stagg aged, but the rest of them don't really appeal to me.Calling out the Aviary for hipsterism isn't really fair as they really are on the cutting edge of cocktails, but the press release isn't exactly helping their case.

Also, I've only had 2 beers since Jan 1, as a solidarity move with my wife who's expecting our first child in July. I get one free pass and I'm taking it next weekend for a bottle share at my buddy's house.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

ShaneB posted:

My buddy in Cleveland just picked up rose de gambrinus from a gas station. Welp.

I know that gas station, and it's selection easily rivals the Beer Temple without a doubt. They're a craft beer gas station if that makes any sense.

Edit: It's the Gulf just north of Salem in NE Ohio.

BoredByThis fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 22, 2013

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Folks you've not had a bad beer until you've had this guy:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sprecher-mbege-ale/67818/

Some attempt at a gluten-free African banana beer or something...Jesus Christ. Burnt hair, plastic, soap, and a lot more.

They did another one in the same vein that was called Shakparo. It was better, not much, but better. But yeah, Mbege is up there with a 7 year old A. le Coq RIS I had that was oxidized to all hell and tasted like drinking a bottle of tamari with no other complimentary flavors.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Munkaboo posted:

Anyone going to Churchkey tomorrow for the 3F/Half Acre/Revolution event?

Nah, I'll just go to Half Acre/3F/Revolution...

But seriously, I did have a break in my booze hiatus this past weekend for a buddies birthday. I gifted him a bottle of Bolt Cutter, and I got to try a taste. I was not terribly impressed. Large hop presence (still) and way too hot on the finish. I was hoping for something along the lines of Nemesis'10, and this was not along those lines.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Ubik posted:

You haven't had a bad mash-in until you've had to cut open 75 bags of malt for a single turn. :colbert:

Someone's salty about BCBS still.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Went to a tasting party this past Saturday as my one reprieve from the booze hiatus while my wife is pregnant. We tasted out the following:

2006 Brooklyn Schneider Hopfen-Weiss
2008 DFH Immort Ale
2005 Homebrew Kolsch (as a joke really, but not undrinkable)
2008 Stone IRS
2010 ODell Avant Peche
2010 Goose Island Nightstalker
2008 Goose Island Saison de Midi
2013 Revolution 3rd Year Beer

The saison was the highlight of the night for me, it was light and clean and a little herbal with a touch of the funky yeast aromatics that you want to have with a good saison. I can't call the Odell the highlight (because I brought it) but it was amazing with the bourbon lava cakes that my buddy's wife made.

Nothing was undrinkable (which is a surprise due to the 8 year old Kolsch that came out of the fridge), I need to get a hold of the Revolution 3rd year beer, because that'll be amazing in a few months.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

So now ambulance chasers are being supplanted with distribution truck chasing. What have we become.

To answer Midorka's question from way earlier.

The smoke character in 2008 DFH Immort was substantially more subdued than it is fresh, but I also have found that (at least as my memory serves) it has been getting more smoky as the years have progressed. This one had a slightly perceptible peat note on the nose and a little on the finish, but it was mostly toffee and caramel with a thick mouthfeel and a light alcohol bite on the finish. Not at all the overpowering smoke mess that it has become recently, especially fresh.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

No Dark Lord Day for me this year. I have a gig at the Double Door that night, and have forsaken drinking, while my wife (who loves barleywines and barrel aged beers of all kinds) is pregnant and unable to drink, as a solidarity move.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Tank 7 is up there at around 8.5% I think. I know because I served it at my rehearsal dinner and people were caught unawares.

Edit: Oops, I read that less than sign as a greater than sign

BoredByThis fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 18, 2013

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Echo this, I've been to this expo twice and never left anything other than completely hammered. It's a great time though.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I'm brshumard, but I'm not logging any beers as of late. Feel free to add me though.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Immort used to be great. I had it and loved it in 2006, and then had put off buying it until recently and the recipe had changed tremendously in that time. It wasn't always all peat smoke and booze with a sweet finish. It used to be this great vanilla-maple, slightly smoky old ale with the mouthfeel of chocolate milk.

It's definitely not that anymore.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Cervixalot posted:

I must have seen you guys! I passed the line on my way to grab dinner at the Orbit Room with a friend, and chatted briefly with whoever was at the front to see what the line was for. Sounds like it was a great time!

We need to get a Chi Beer Goons bottle share or beer event in the works at some point.

I'd be in after my baby is born, ostensibly.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Registered for the lottery, I pass through Indy on my way to visit my mom and family, so it's not too bad of a trip.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Didn't win

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

This is the third time that this has happened since I've lived in Chicago. Once when the rest of the block was being bulldozed for development (when Demolition was first brewed) and then again a couple of years ago when the owner decided that they could charge ridiculous amounts of money for space in that shopping center. This isn't over and there's at least 6 months for something to be hashed out. Last time it was down to the wire and even extended if I remember right.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I want to be at your local bar tonight, alas, I'm in the home stretch and we're inducing my wife on Thursday morning. Here's hoping I'm drinking a beer and holding my boy by late Thursday.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

I'm back from my beer hiatus and got to have my beer in the recovery room after my son was born. I get to rediscover a lot of stuff and have managed to drink a fair few of the things I'd set back.

First beer back was Revolution Anti-Hero which was exactly what I needed. Slightly resinous, light cold, very fresh and just a great beer to drink with my boy.

Other highlights include the Ranger Creek Small Batch #3. This was a wine barrel aged old ale that seemed to have picked up a bit of brett either from dosing or the barrel. Slight funky nose and a bit of a biscuity character that totally hid the 10%. Slight wine character on the finish, but mostly brett dominated. Looking forward to #4

Pipeworks Orange Truffle Abduction: solid chocolate stout with less orange character than I would have preferred. I think this could have benefited from a touch of lactose, but a solid beer all around.

For IPA Day I had a Founders All Day and a Two Brothers Sidekick. I still have the Deschutes Inversion waiting on me for my return home tonight.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Fun fact about Gillian (Scully) is that it is named after Gillian Anderson, who worked at Goose Island before she was famous. Straight from John Hall who was drunkenly rambling at Twisted Spoke over a couple of glasses of BCBS Coffee during the World Beer Cup/Chicago Craft Beer Week/Chicago Stone Release week.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Captain Shortbus posted:

Well, while we're doing this, I may as well jump on the bandwagon. My mom will be in Indianapolis this weekend. I'm looking for some Three Floyds stuff and some Edmund Fitzgerald. Can anybody recommend a decent shop, preferably in the Castleton area? Also, any other stuff I should have her look for that Indy gets but KC doesn't? Does Weyerbacher distribute to Indy?
Thanks, goons.

http://www.kahnsfinewines.com/beer

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Duh, I knew that was going to be the outcome, what landlord in their right mind would get rid of a guaranteed rent check, regardless of perceived rental rate inequities.