Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Posting for bookmark, I'll be posting more regularly in the next few days, hope all is well with you all. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Anyone in here living over on the east coast? That was a pretty good shake here in Taipei, can't imagine what it was like over there....

6.5 at 5AM on the 20th floor ... yeah, that was the second shake I felt in my 6 months since I been here, and yeah it was kinda fun.

I been meaning to update in here, but I been working a bunch lately (new job).

My ARC came through and my NIH, next up is the driving test etc.

Does anyone remember which page the animated flash thing (explaining the scooter test) was on, I forget if it was this thread or the last.

I'm going to do both tests on the same day hopefully.

also, 加油!

:)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Yeah, I was wondering what happened to you. We haven't been drinking since you landed.

http://driversimtest.thb.gov.tw/DriverSimTest/mocks/index.do

Thanks for that link, that's very very much appreciated.
I'll be giving that a few goes in the next few days

I was actually looking for the animation which explains what you have to do for the scooter test. No worries though, I'll have a scout through the old thread at some point. I have a pretty good idea of what's required anyways. Having said that, I have no idea what is required regarding the medical for the driving licences though. I'm hoping it's similar to the one I had to do for this job (i.e. pretty minimal).

Speaking of this job, now that I have a sane job with sane hours, and where things are done by the book, I'm able to relax about my situation alot more.

Up until now, I've not had any real quality time with my computer, and posting from a work machine isn't always sensible or possible (the last place had computers from the early-mid 90's so posting wasn't even an option). I'm hoping now that I'm more settled I can get back to posting and taking part a little more.

I got a new phone fairly recently: 0970 22 99 02, and I have LINE/Whats App on there, so yeah, I'm looking forward to a goon session at some point fairly soon.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, Taiwanese vehicles have blinkers?

hahaha

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Me and gf took it upon ourselves to brave the rains and hunt down KGB burger.
(recursion intended to avoid cagey burger)

Trust me when I say it was entirely entirely worth it.

I saw KGB mentioned in the last thread, and I been hankering to try them out.
I've heard Bravo burger is equally awesome, but, allow me to suggest that "Black Sheep" (V. close to Minquan Road West MRT) is all kinds of awesome.

They've only been running 6 months or so, and I meant to post earlier.

But, decent clean spacious, and reasonably priced.

Back to the rain though.
The Plum Rains were awesome to be in. I had just started working at new firm, and I got caught, there was no escaping it, and tbh, after 10 seconds in it, I didn't have a yellow thingy on me, so there was nothing left to do but enjoy the ride home (35 mins).

I didn't get caught in y/days too much. I have a yellow thing in the scooter seat,a blue one for the gf and a pair of blue pants in there too (if you're sitting behind, you get wetter legs because the poncho can't cover your legs as much as it would if you are in front).

So yeah, getting into work y/day was really really slow the section from xinzhuang -> Minquan W was flooded and the normal volume of traffic was trying to fit in around the flooded parts.

It wasn't terrible but my journey time was around 40% longer so no biggie.

Having put in a bunch of extra hours for the new job, having the half day off was much appreciated and sorely needed.

I'm tossing up whether to get a car or a big bike after the test.

E: I r speel gud

url fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 13, 2012

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

Except for those who are salaried, in which case huzzah.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

and sometimes help with the cops when you're driving a scooter without a license.

I can vouch for this on the singular (honest guv'nor) occasion i simply ignored the red and turned left.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
hahaha @ racist.

I've scootered about in the rain a few times, but, doing it deliberately I think is kinda key to it though, getting caught short isn't the same.

When I've been caught short previously I've mainly been concerned by the wind, lack of visibility and the fact that the paint on the road seems to be made out of uber concentrated pure-strain banana skins.

A lao pengyou and I are scheduled to go up a mountain for some fun sometime in the next few weeks, I think he mentioned shanxi, but I have no idea where that is, and I was a few beers in so I may be off base.

I've been wondering about driving a car though, mainly because how crazy the scooters can be. I think i've almost given up my childhood fetish of having a fast bike though, but I'm now considering a dirt bike, mainly because the roads are awful in places and they are supposed to be quite comfortable for a commute.

I did watch Deep Impact with the gf the other day, she was impressed by how Elijah Woods escaped with his gf & child on a dirt bike, so she's kinda sold on the idea too.

My assertion that dirt bikes are used by bank robbers and that imo there is no better reference didn't carry as much weight as Mr. Woods'.

:/

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

duckfarts posted:

a pet peeve of mine, among many.

I have the same thing.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, but it won't be poo poo for us, just a bit of rain and lovely weather.

So probably better than this week.

e: Also

tineye why must you fail me so!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

HappyHelmet posted:

Was it really that bad? I don't live in Taipei (and refuse to watch local news) so its hard to judge. It seemed like a few isolated areas had bad flooding and the rest of Taipei was fine.

It took me in over an hour to get from Xinzhuang to Neihu. Most days i can make that journey in 45, without racing (too hard). That 45 includes ample time to drop off the gf, and maybe grab a pack of smokes.
Most of the journey that day was me scootering forward in 1-3M increments.

Basically every drain on the sidewalk/road was overflowing creating giant puddles 3-4inches deep and around 3meters in length and a metre or two into the traffic. Obviously as a driver/scooter rider, what we needed to do in this situation, was stop and look and pass comment with all passers by. Where water was flowing off the overpasses, again, we should stop and comment.

Occasionaly somebody should speed thru the puddle ensuring that everybody who isn't soaked takes a bath.

I do enjoy seeing someone scoot through a deep puddle only to have the bike conk out half way through. I'm not sure of a mechanical reason why, but i'm going to assume that the rubber seals on spark-plugs don't hold up so well due to the weather conditions here.

I'm not sure if whole bridges were closed, but the route I normally use was down to one lane in most places - so yeah bottlenecks were commonplace.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Hahaha American wine, that's like American "cheese" ... (I kid I kid)

I'm down for some debauchery this weekend. The grapevine suggested a curry, which I am seriously jonesing for.

If we fo Haraksha's buddy's bar, I can not recommend the Mojito highly enough.

Quite simply a spectacular experience.

e: Li Laoshi fuckn loves you Haraksha. Where I was holding favoured new student status, I am now being told how god drat awesome your vocab is, and how hard you work. gently caress you!

url fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 27, 2012

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

The other guy bakes brownies for various restaurants around Taipei. If you have ever had a brownie at KGB, those are his.

they look retardedly good!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Alright, URL...

My issue is that I usually drop the Mrs off at her folks on a Sat. That's wan hua - else I'd pop you on the back of the scoot and its a cheaper lull before the storm thing.

I haven't decided whether Mrs should come this week yet. But, I gonna get her an account soon, so I figure she probs should turn up.

After lessons on sat there is a gap, but I not worked that slot out yet.

I'd honestly prefer a gap between lessson and session. If only to get my bearings. Atm classes leave me reeling for a good hour after.

Lemme work out the Mrs' plans, and we'll nail something down.

This PM was brought to you by the letters u r and l
:P

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Well Max Power is supposed to be organizing it.

Also, yeah max, get busy doing arrangingery stuff. Tia.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
brb gonna go buy me some dead, dehydrated babies so I can host 'pet ghosts'.

It's okay though, I have no plans to export them, that'd be illegal :psyduck:

(this was just on the news)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

dlink posted:

WHERE IS THIS BAR!?!?!?

And i love Mojitos :D

Dude, these Mojito's are extraordinary! And I love me a mojito.

url fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 28, 2012

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Gonna have to veto the soapy goon expedition.

phew

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

I posted this on FB, but in case anyone doesn't check that: I finish my class at 5PM tomorrow and need to kill 3 hours. If someone wants to grab beers with me, that'd rule.

I didn't check fb...I didn't nail plans down for tomo yet. If you wanna chill for a couple at mine, that's likely no issue.

I gotta do haircut, and scooter oil swap on top if class tomo, and Mrs is seeing fam.

There's likely a timetable that fits all 3, but like I say, I didn't nail it yet.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Get a haircut while I'm at the lesson and if we don't have to be to the restaurant until 8 now instead of 7, going to your place isn't a big deal for me.

i was thinking along those lines

Haraksha posted:

I don't think URL is.
she probs will unless something comes up tomo - you guys didn't goon hard enough last time :/

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

mad carl posted:

Yeah, I'll be at Ximen Exit 6 hanging out at 7:30pm. I suggest everyone who wants to walk to the place with us be there by 7:45pm, please!

Sounds like a plan.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

mad carl posted:

Hell yeah. Man that sentence just about sums up the whole thing.

you may have overlooked the being obnoxious and loud part, but yeah otherwise it seemed like a fair summary.

fake edit: as a brit I'm just gonna go ahead and apologise in advance.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
While I"m here i should pass this on.

hi
please reply to me if you are looking for a part time English teacher position every Wednesday and Thursday after 6 o'clock.
Best Regards

Best Regards
GRAM English Center http://www.gram.com.tw
Terry Chen
格蘭英語中港校 0423261800

I assume it's a widespread email since I haven't used 104 for a while.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
...and then the thread went quiet...
I'll assume this is due to hangovers, and mondayitis.

Apologies for splitting off before midnight - lame I know - though tbh, sitting at a family mart and chilling was just what the doctor ordered.

My saturday was:

Xinzhuang - TMS - Zhongxiao Fuxing
Zhongxiao Fuxing - Wan Hua
Wan hua - Xinzhuang
Xinzhuang - Carniegies
Carniegies - Calcutta

So yeah, by that point I was kinda shattered and a drinking expedition (though sorely needed) was beyond the pale.

I did like the food at Calcutta, it was pretty drat close to what I'd get in the UK for a curry with only very minor differences.

It was nice to be able to faces to names at long last.

This weather is gorgeous - more heat please!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
30 odd years of UK, and yeah, heat owns bones!

Fans are okay and all, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel your pain. But, I'm still FOB so I still relish the heat as if it were a rare treat.

That email I pasted on the last page was genuine, use it. Otherwise, knock up a 104 profile and the offers will roll in thick and fast ime.

Imo -> ime

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

... Pretty much any organisations that use Human labour are pathologically averse to dealing with anything foreign. I haven't paid student loans in FOREVER. But actually bugging me about them would require dealing with *shudder* foreigners. So my providers have basically stopped pestering me about them completely.

FTFY, and a handy thing to keep in mind.

Hahaha, that's ouchy! I did the same thing in Thailand.

I didn't use any local medical thing as I was only on vacation.
Local advice was to basically pound on your foot where the barbs are to encourage them to break up a bit making it easier for your body to dissolve them.

ymmv

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

GoutPatrol posted:

My toliet survived a spoon going down. I don't know how it went down, but I couldn't get it out of there.

This requires an explain.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

quadrophrenic posted:

I prefer the old "hold it in your hand, jiggle the white through your fingers" method.

Also, hey, by this time tomorrow... well, I'll be sleeping on a bench in PEK, but the day after that I'll have landed at Taipei! Wish me luck!

if you crack the egg so you have 2 halves of the shell, you simply flip the yolk back and forth between the two. I thought this was the common practice.

Miss url was treated to an x-ray, a jab, and a cornucopia of pills and ointments for 500NT$ last weekend.

Go go Taiwan health care.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Dr. Eat posted:

Is it possible to open a bank account in Taiwan w/o an ARC or work permit? Or do I need a job/sponsor?

Getting pretty tired of Bangkok need a change of scenery.

Yeah, it can be done.
You need to go to the NIA and get what's called a UID.
It's relatively painless.
Take your passport and various whatever other assorted bits as bobs as you can collate to prove who you are and they'll issue you a UID.
The passport on it's own is good enough, but show willing because ...

Anyways, yeah, so the UID is official certification that the govt has seen your passport, and that's good enough for most banks (domestic only) to open you an account.

For the bank, you'll need more than just the UID. You'll want your passport and the UID, and possibly proof of address. Bear in mind you'll want a sponsor to do anything fun.

I opened an account with First Bank this way, and then found out that depositing a cashiers check required a sponsor :psyduck:

I then opened an account with Fubon (for a job) and they said the same check would take 4 weeks to clear. :wtf:

In the end I returned the check and had it sent by SWIFT.
IBANN is not so popular here.

HSBC won't open an account if you don't have an ARC, I can't speak for citibank.

Haraksha posted:

Got my drivers license this morning. Who is ready for a fatgoonroadtrip?

sweet - pro you - let me use your car to practice for test please.
Mrs needs driving lessons, who did you use and are they any good?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Dr. Eat posted:

So should showing up at the bank with a Taiwanese person after I get this card be enough? That's what I did in Korea + Thailand whiles on tourist visa...showed up with my passport + female got bank account after signing some stuff and saying maybe 5 words.

Yep - get the UID from the NIA (it's a 5 minute process) and you're all set to open a bank account.

Use the NIA hotline for foreigners, it's 24hours a day, and they actually have a good service. They "will" try and answer any questions you have. (I found out about the UID for bank account thing at 2am in the morning)

NIA- 0800-024-111

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
^^ haha

also:

I just got sent this - and it's probably more useful in the Learning Chinese thread but I"m too lazy to cross post:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_order
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Principles_of_Yong

of more immediate help:
http://iff.immigration.gov.tw/lp.asp?ctNode=29904&CtUnit=16550&BaseDSD=7&mp=T002

#5 from the bottom needs to be prefaced with Xiao Jie
(I find adding xiao jie to otherwise innocuous sentences helps me remember them)

Haraksha I was thinking to ask you if you could pick up a thing for me in Sanxia or point me in the right direction.

A colleague (not ducks(hi ducks - i'm working honest ;)), not goon) got a really nice calligraphy set from there recently. I'll SMS when I find out more. I did promise to come to your neck of the woods and I could do with getting out of Xinzhuang anyways. So one way or the other - blah blah expect a message soon.

How's foot btw?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Dr. Eat posted:

Thanks man.

Also does anyone still use blackberrrys in Taiwan? Or should I just ditch it and use bring my iPhone? BBM is still really big here...

And are there monthly data + pay as you go for minutes plans or is it lame like Korea and you gotta sign 1yr contracts?

PAYG isn't that kind to foreigners here ime. When I landed I had to get a friend to get a SIM card for me, and that didn't do data. I only tried a couple of places, but I think you'll find that to be the case.

So yeah, if you've got a buddy here, get them to do a straw purchase for you until you get an ARC and can legally sign contracts for yourself.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Really? I got a prepay Zhonghua Telecom SIM by walking into 7-Eleven (I think) a few months back and it's fine for data. It's not cheap, but it works.

Did they take your ARC # to do it.

For me, the issue was that I was a foreigner, and we were told they are not supposed to hand out PAYG sims to prevent the money laundering/general crime/potential for massive bills going unpaid etc etc.

But yeah, with an ARC there is no issue.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ravendas posted:

I got the One X
All this from Taiwan Dageda (Mobile).

Sup OneX bro

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I got two yellow spots turn up on mine just the past week or so, it's a p common thing to happen with new screen manufacturing processes - iPhones had it the past couple of generations on their release too iirc.

As regards the funky stuff re the camera, i thought a firmware update had taken care of all that? My camera has been okay, though it's not a thing I use alot tbh.

I run mine pretty hard all day 24/7 and the heat hasn't really surprised me at all, I had a HD2 before this, and it was comparable - though, I was running that as hard as i do the One X. I do love this phone though - I was expecting Android to be alot worse than I've found it. I didn't even flash the firmware on this yet. I was expecting to have to flash it almost immediately after boot - but so far I've not had to.

I'll not put up with the constant stream of adverts for much longer though. That poo poo is garbage, and despite an unlimited data plan, gently caress that noise.

As regards the google store, I thought that changed this week?
If not, can you not grab the file elsewhere, and dump them on using the synch thingy?

/should_have_posted_in_a_phone_thread

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

One of the joys of Android is that it's real easy to get apps through alternative channels. I haven't actually tried the Amazon app store yet, but yeah, if you can find the app you're after elsewhere, you can just load it on and go, although you might need something like Easy Installer. At least you did back on 2.2, dunno about 4. Haven't really tried since upgrading.

this too.

yeah usually i grab what i need from other sources (usenet) and install using the HTC Sync thingy.

Sorry Haraksha, it might have been navigation or something that Google changed in Taiwan. If not Play or Navigation they did change something but meh, too lazy too look.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I am definitely gonna head back there to try some pulled pork.
The BBQ chicken burger was great, but I've never had pulled pork, and I hear so many good things about it - I just gotta find out.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
off topic:

I picked my Chinese name based on Sun Yat Sen's

:D

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

I spent my first year telling everyone my name was Qin Shi Huang.

ha, gj.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
haha tetsuo!

me and gf were talking just yesterday about the difference between laowei and guilo.

I was told to listen out for si laowei as an insult.

I'm assuming the two terms were synonyms - in your case obviously used affectionately.

I will also point out the deep deep sense of satisfaction I got playing mah jong with a few locals fairly soon after arriving here. One of them made a dumb rear end rookie mistake (played the fourth East tile immediately after deal - meaning a re-rack), and i couldn't help myself but call her si laowei.

I'm a man of simple pleasures.

url fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 20, 2012