Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Flagellum posted:

Hey Taiwan goons. I'm planning a short trip to Taiwan and Hong Kong. I will spend 3 days in Taiwan from 15th to 17th. Any recommendation on places to stay? I'm looking for budget hotels but I don't mind staying in hostels/guest houses. So far I have Yangmingshan, Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall, and National Palace museum on my to-go list. Any cool places I shouldn't miss at this time of year?

I enjoyed the Millennium Hot Spring in Beitou. The area around there has some nice steaming sulfuric pools.

Longshan Temple is also worth a visit. Right by the Longshan metro station. And of course go to night markets every night.

For lodging The Meeting Place is a great value if you don't mind hostels. There is a pretty good night market nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Backweb posted:

Hey goons I have a tuition question:

I've been accepted to a grad program at NCCU where tuition was listed at NTD 12,300/semester for last year which puts it at ~US$410.

Am I reading this tuition correctly, or did they misplace a decimal somewhere?

I was under the impression I'd be paying closer to $10k for the program, not $2k until I just reread their info.

I just checked online and I'm seeing 123,600 for the IMAS program and 105,936 for the IDAS program. The time period is listed as "per academic year".

I'll be at NCCU this semester and the Chinese language program is 27500/semester.

I went to the Taiwan consulate in New York a couple of days ago and they wouldn't give me a visa due to my passport being somewhat damaged. I plan to enter visa free and get a new passport in Taipei, then attempt to get a visitor visa without having to leave Taiwan. Wish me luck Taiwangoons.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Arrived in Taipei four hours ago. The average rainfall for my time in Taiwan has been about 2 inches per hour. Already spent most of the afternoon in 7-Elevens and OKMarts. At least there was random stuff on fire everywhere which looked cool with all the wind and rain.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Welcome to the waiguoren experience. Were you drinking beer during that time? The fires are for ghost month, they're full of money to help the spirits of the dead by zombie condos.

Sorry, I was looking for cheap beers but even small cans were 30 dollars. I miss the mainland already. :china:

Also, the Official Waiguoren Experience can only occur in deepest darkest Henan.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
After another hour of hanging out under awnings and having a giant cockroach somehow finding its way onto my arm, I've finally made it to the hostel. Next item on the shopping list: umbrella.

Moving to the Chengchi university dorms on Sunday down in Wenshan.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I'd love to lose all my money in card games but coming up from Wenshan on a weeknight probably won't happen. I propose a Goon Autumn Festival street BBQ next week.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

caberham posted:

Happy full goon festival Taiwan goons!

How's the storm and what are the warnings like in Taiwan? Flights here in Hong Kong will be cancelled 24 hrs starting tomorrow 6pm. Too bad it's going to be on a Sunday and not a Monday, Mr Li won't be activating his forcefield :smith:

Stay safe!

kenner116
May 15, 2009
It seems that it's not possible to get a visitor visa while here on a visa-exempt stamp, unless you have obtained a work permit. I'm here studying Chinese on a Huayu scholarship, so it looks like I may have two or three trips to Manila coming up over the next couple of semesters! Why can't there just be a ferry to one of those nearby Japanese islands, or affordable airfare to Hong Kong?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I received a 6 month scholarship, so I was only allowed to apply for a visitor visa (60 days), which can be renewed twice (up to 180 days total). If I had received a 9 month or longer scholarship I could have applied for a resident visa. I went to the NYC TECO office back in August and gave them my application, but they wouldn't give me a visa because of the condition of my old decrepit water-damaged passport (which has since been replaced at the AIT). I was told by the NY TECO education office that I could get a visitor visa while in Taipei.

Anyway, the 160 USD I would have spent on the visa is about the same price as a three day trip to Manila, so it's not so bad. I would have had to leave before the end of February anyway even if I had a visa (180 days after arriving on August) or change it to a resident visa, which again is a similar cost as a trip to Manila. The only downside really is that I'll be missing a couple days of class next month.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
How should I go about getting a Hongmi phone in Taipei? If I wander around Guanghua will I stumble across one? I've already missed a couple months of Chinagoon WeChats and that's just not acceptable.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Bloodnose posted:

And nobody answered my question about regular Taipei goon meets so I guess there are none?

I'll see what my schedule is like this weekend and see if I can't set up an impromptu one sometime next week.

I'm free all next week so I'm up for a goonmeet. caberham seems to organize most of the goonmeets in Asia so you should probably ask him.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Step 1: move to taipei.
Step 2: institute 24-hour public transit

Walked around 101 and Xiangshan象山 stations this evening. Anyone taking some sweet free rides tomorrow?

kenner116
May 15, 2009

hitension posted:

I was actually thinking of Tokyo/Shanghai/New York as counterpoints for "well organized stations" :shobon:

New York has confusing signage so half the time I end up taking the train in the wrong direction. Or a line is closed and I have to take a long detour.

Rode the new Xinyi line for the first time today, really convenient 15 minute bus ride from me (政大) and beats going to Taipei Zoo then walking for minutes around Zhongxiao Fuxing to transfer lines. Only 12 NTD from Xiangshan to Jiantan! Hiked up Yangmingshan today, really nice trail.

Bloodnose posted:

My trip time is quickly running out but if I ever find I free moment, I'm going to some KMT pilgrimage sites. Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall goon meet, anyone?

Sure, name a time.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
That was some good beer (and turkey and cranberry sauce and cats). You guys missed out.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

hitension posted:

Man I would not just learn Chinese characters in isolation, that is like learning English by starting with Greek and Latin roots. Just take a class, at the beginning level they all use the same horrible 實用華語 or whatever it's called, but I never met anybody who learned poo poo without taking a class at some point so yeah

now would be a good time for these videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6M_Z9VYAfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEEV4Dzqf0

We watched that elevator video in class today. Who wants to join me in writing some Gao Weili and Lin Jianguo fan fiction?

I've been happy with books 2 and 3 so far. It covers a lot of grammar rules and vocab, not sure what else you expect to get from a textbook.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Anybody have any inclination to visit Pingxi for lantern fest next friday?

Yeah, I plan to take the bus from Taipei Zoo MRT station on the 14th.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Anybody interested in catching some pingxi sky lanterns tomorrow night?

Yes, let's release some goon lanterns.
....___
../......\
./.........\
(.低稅萬歲)
.\........./
..\____/

kenner116
May 15, 2009

caberham posted:

I'm one of those naive jerks on the other side of the straits who wish to see unification, China not being such a loving joke country, and a highspeed train/bridge from Fuzhou to Taipei.

I am even more naive and pro-unification as I support the establishment of a Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

The capital should be placed somewhere with great historical importance e.g. the Diaoyutais.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

hitension posted:

I did a TinEye and didn't find anything; did you come up with this yourself? If so, that's pretty creative on the spot

url posted:

Genius!

I am a creative genius (by google image searching for greater east asia co-prosperity sphere flag).

House Louse posted:

Good to know, since I've just blown 22,000NTD on a university course using it...
How many hours of class per week? A three month, 15 hours per week course is 27,000 here at Chengchi U, which I believe is one of the less expensive programs in Taiwan.

I've used PAVC books 2 and 3 and have no complaints, really, despite the wacky adventures of Lin Jianguo and Gao Weili. Finals tomorrow, so will be listening to Jianguo/Weili dialogues all evening.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

caberham posted:

TIME TO MOTHER gently caress THAT BITCH. YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. IF YOU DON'T LIKE HAMBURGERS YOU ARE SUBHUMAN AND WORSE THAN PANDEMONIUM. ARE YOU A VEGETARIAN? IF SO, gently caress YOU! DOUBLE GRIND MEAT FOR LIFE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf48aKwxDwI
Pinsky's salami > burgers

I've been riding U-bikes around a lot lately and had a nice ride yesterday through FuDe cemetery (富德公墓) between the zoo and Liuzhangli MRT station. Looking at gravestones/mausoleums is pretty interesting since you can see where people were born and the different Christian/Buddhist/Muslim grave styles. It's about a 90-minute ride including stops for photos. Included a map if you want to check it out.
http://imgur.com/a/eFuoL

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Watched the flag lowering ceremony at CKS memorial hall today since what better thing to do on 2/28. I'm not sure if Taiwan independence supporters usually parade around or if it's just an 2/28 thing but it was pretty enjoyable to watch and they played a catchy song as well.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spiderjelly posted:

I should have said Chinese Taipei, my bad. :china:

Looking forward to the day when I can visit Taiwanese Beijing.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Some posters/banners put up around NCCU (政大) today.
http://imgur.com/a/O3rOa

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

My first apartment in Taipei cost 6000NT a month.

I'm paying 4300 per month now in Taipei student dormitory

kenner116
May 15, 2009

moflika posted:

Has anyone ever gone in the country 90 day visa free and then "upgraded" to a student visa?

No, you can't get a student visa while in Taiwan. Work visa can be obtained though. After failing to get a visa in New York I've just been flying out of Taiwan every three months. Twice to Manila and in three weeks to Hong Kong. Can't get a Taiwan visa in Manila, best option is probably Hong Kong.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

moflika posted:

Hmmm, that's good to know.

I know that this is a huge YMMV thing, but do you get the feel that Taiwan is pretty laid back on constantly re-entering visa free? You've done it a few times now, so it sounds like you're not worried about getting stamped for like 3 days and told to pack up and gtfo?

The only time I've noticed any kind of concern was at the airport in Manila when picking up my boarding pass (Cebu Pacific). They ask if I have an ARC (I don't), then I say that I can enter for ninety days visa-free. After a minute of looking carefully through my passport they print out the pass and before I know it I'm on a 110-minute flight due north to our beloved sweet-potato-shaped island nation/province.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
The fruit situation in Taiwan isn't nearly as impressive as in Southeast Asia. Prices are higher here since they don't import much from nearby countries, and there aren't mangosteens and rambutans overflowing everywhere like in Vietnam or Indonesia.

Now I'm missing Cambodia where a bunch of bananas the size of your head are well under a dollar.

Edit:

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 21, 2014

kenner116
May 15, 2009
After 8.5 months in Taiwan I finally met a Taiwan goon.... in Hong Kong.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Many of the foreign MBA students here at NCCU also take Chinese language classes, and most of the ones I know are from East and Southeast Asia and eastern Europe. Most of the undergrad students I know here are all from Honduras and El Salvador on five-year scholarships.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I'm in Muzha. The big two attractions here are the zoo and Maokong gondola. You can also visit Zhinan temple on the way up to Maokong.

The super muggy weather has arrived, along with some big thunderstorms every afternoon. I still recommend riding YouBikes aling the river here but be sure to always carry an umbrella.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Backweb posted:

I woke up at 5:30 and decided it was a good time to walk up the mountain behind my dorm to Zhangshan Temple.

Feeling nostalgic. I just left NCCU three weeks ago after a year there. Going to miss seeing Maokong and Zhinan Temple (and of course 101) every day.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

okami posted:

What's the deal with weed? Can it be bought and how much?

Go hiking in Yunnan and you'll be approached by a grandma offering you some.

Edit: Oh this is the Taiwan thread. I don't know then, try calling the foreigner hotline.

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 24, 2014

kenner116
May 15, 2009

goldboilermark posted:

this sounds like it is worth doing at least a few times?

Sexual predating?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I flew into Taiwan four times in the past year (no visa 90-day entry) and never had a departure ticket. Didn't have any problems.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Xindian is pretty nice. Once you get south away from Gongguan prices should go down.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

toplitzin posted:

I'm going to be out for a few weeks in February. I'll be staying with a (awesome) friend most of the time, but will have to head back to Taipei the night before I leave (or earlier maybe) for a mid morning return flight. (departs at 11am, would prefer to be at airport by 8:30/9am)

Any recommendations on where to stay for the night or few? Preferably with an easy way to the airport that won't be too hard on the wallet.

I did find one at/near the airport, Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport and their rates are reasonable ($115USD for the night) and the have a shuttle and reasonably well reviewed, but am open for suggestions.

Just sleep in the airport terminal, I give it 4/5 stars.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

edit: actually, does anyone know anything about Chengchi's Mandarin program? This is supposedly the site, but it's been broken: http://mandarin.nccu.edu.tw/

I was at Chengchi for a year (2013-2014) and highly recommend it. 15 hours of class per week, small classes (7-9 people), and it's in a great location on the edge of Taipei, right against the mountains but still close to the MRT.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

No sweat if you don't know the answers to these questions, but I have to ask, since their site is completely offline for some reason.

Do you remember the schedule at all? It sounds ridiculous to most people, but I basically need to choose a program based on whether or not I could do it entirely in the morning and be back at my apartment by like 1pm local time.

What would you call the neighborhood its in? I see it's in the southeast corner, I just don't know anything about the area. How is it? What's rent like?

You'll either have classes at 8-11 AM or 12-3 PM. If you're given an afternoon class it shouldn't be hard to switch to a morning one.

The neighborhood is in Muzha 木柵 which is a part of Wenshan District 文山區.

I lived in a regular dormitory right on the main street (ZhiNan Road 指南路) which only cost 14000 NTD per three months, which came to about 5 USD per day. Two people per room and you just have to pay extra for AC and heat. Single apartments in the area ranged from 5000 NTD per month up to 10000.

Here is the Google street view at the main gate on Zhinan Rd.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Thanks a ton!

I don't have a good handle on the MRT...how convenient is it to get downtown?

The MRT is a 7 minute bike ride away, right at the zoo. But it's actually faster to take the 1 or 16 bus though the mountain to get to Taipei 101.

The other downtown for me was Gongguan which was also more direct by bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Hmmm, awesome. The neighborhood looks really cool and livable based on google maps streetview. Last two questions I can think of:

What's tuition for the mandarin program at Chengchi? Sorry to ask, but again their site is down.

And...I forgot the other. It was a general Taiwan question though. I'll think of it.

29200 NTD with insurance (2 years ago).
Tuition was a bit less in the winter semester (Dec-Feb) since it was a couple weeks shorter.

And here's a nice video of a ride up Zhinan Lu.