Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Replaying Mass Effect 1 (the Star Trek to this series's Firefly bent from the later games). Man, the Post-Eden Prime conversation is just awful. Apart from talking to Kaidan and Chakwas, every single dialogue choice you pick has exactly the same words. Also, the ominous music when you talk about your dream abruptly cutting out the moment Chakwas starts talking again was amusing.

And then there is the hearing in front of the Council, where you aren't allowed to present evidence against Saren (what little there is), and instead your only dialogue options are to yell at him or the council like a child. I like ME1 the most, but it never really gives you the chance to make intelligent dialogue choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

Hey guys just had a neat idea: what if Buzz Aldrin is actually talking to a young Ryder in the end of ME3, and this inspires he/she (it's kinda ambiguous) to join the Alliance/N7/Whatever the gently caress and be like "the Shepard."

That was Buzz Aldrin? Jesus how much money did they give him to convince him to record three lines?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mass Effect 3 just has this weird obsession with implanting cameos, doesn't it? Battlespace reporter, Buzz Aldrin. Well, maybe just those two, but it's still weird.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sassassin posted:

Garrus, Tali, Wrex's replacement...

Real world cameos.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you play as Femshep, always make your own character, because Bioware's default face is awful for her in 1 and 2, and downright bizarre looking in 3 after their design by voting fiasco.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Andromeda should take fallout 4 style face generation. It was like the Mario 64 putty head for sculpting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It also doesn't help the amount of sameface that goes on. That's on the animation skeleton though, not the face generator. The two do not play nicely, so you have a face that has to stretch and contort to match the animations, leading to small mouths opening up like kermit the frog.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waltzing Along posted:

I love it when a persons sense of entitlement prevents them from paying the same price everyone else paid.

Is it really entitlement if there is a precedent set for waiting for a sales price?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheCenturion posted:

I have this problem with a lot of open world games; so much sidetracking, and you lose the cohesion of the story.

That's why Witcher 3 works so well, because it puts as much effort into its side quests as its main quests, so going off the beaten path is very rewarding. Plus it's main quest is mostly an investigation, so you can go at your own pace, and only pushes into high speed urgency when the story calls for it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Why did we even bring all these mercs along on our colony ship?

The twist will be that your ship actually lagged behind the other arks and arrived millenia after humans and all the other mass effect races have already colonized andromeda so nothing has changed at all and human enemies in stupid helmets will be your primary shooting targets.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zoran posted:

That's forums user exquisite tea's original idea, do not steal:

I can't be arsed to read an entire page ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

rocket_350 posted:

Name them both that so there's two with that name.

Ottawa has the Redblacks now, so he should be called Red Ryder on a lunatic fringe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All I think about for the finale of Mass Effect 3 is that the Newtonian gunnery sergeant would be throwing a shitfit over all those blind fire shots missing Reapers and most likely causing nuclear firestorms on Earth.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Funny you should say that considering everything karpyshin has written since mass effect one has been hot garbage. Turns out writing video games doesn't mean you can suddenly write novels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Basically, the plot and overall story of the Mass Effect games have been mediocre to poo poo. The reason people like the games is for the characters and the setting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waltzing Along posted:

It's the space sex.

Space Sweat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

Personally I cut it a lot of slack because the aliens don't begin with capital letters and aren't named after the planet they're from.

True enough. I think another reason is because there just isn't another game series out there that is trying to create a science fiction game world similar to Mass Effect. Free roaming space opera RPG 3rd Person shooters are nonexistent outside of Mass Effect, so the series fills a niche that happens to be quite big. I would love to see some more games approach RPGs with the oldschool science fiction trappings Mass Effect 1 promoted, but they just don't exist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nielsen posted:

Some of you hating on Karpishyn: I wish the ending he wrote was real b/c what we got now, well...

Hey, if he managed to work that Dark Energy nonsense into the plot, then Mass Effect 2 would be slightly relevant! For precisely one conversation with Tali in a forty hour game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think covering the entire "genocide by omnicidal alien lobster ships" in a single game was also a bad idea, especially after Vigil explained that the Prothean extinction took centuries to complete. The Reaper War in Mass Effect 3 is finished in under a year, and it is considered the greatest military conflict in Galactic History. Even Dragon Age Origins, despite having it's Blight be defeated in a year, took note of that fact and addressed it, stating that the Blight had been defeated before it had even begun. Of course, then Dragon Age proceeded to do dumb poo poo in its second installment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still don't know why the reapers didn't just attack the citadel earlier. Sovereign nearly wiped out the council fleet and took a chunk out of the systems alliance fleet before going down. And by mass effect 3 the reapers had gone from being tough but beatable to nigh indestructible, yet they only attack the citadel months down the line.

Also the Clint mansell soundtrack is emotionally manipulative junk that sounds nothing like the synthesizer tracks from the first two games.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 27, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Allers just wanted to report on the reaping of human rectal areas between the battle-tits, because Emily Wong was killed on a freaking twitter page.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All of these problems could be alleviated if earth was blown up at the end of the prologue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There is also the scene where you finally link up with Andersons resistance cell and the game switches to hub gameplay for a while, but as you wander around, a single husk flies out of an alley to attack you, and then nothing, back to hub business.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Turians encountered humans opening mass relays willy nilly and got flashbacks to the rachni war so they started blowing up human ships and seizing colonies. Humans responded with force and drove back the Turians fleet before the asari and salarians called the council and ended the conflict

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DarkHorse posted:

By turian "fleet" driven back you mean the scout group that stumbled on the humans and destroyed the nearby colony (Shanxi?). The Turians were mustering a much more potent force to smash the new weirdo aliens until the Council stepped in

Yeah pretty much. The big reason that the systems alliance fleet matters at all compared to the turians is that humans used fighter carrier tactics, because in thousands of years no other power had ever heard of combined arms for some reason.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't know why but I really, really don't like plots where humans are the chosen inheritors of precursor alien junk. I'm glad we got a story about the species making its own way instead of reclaiming daddy's (:speculate:) mansion and his seat on the space council.

This is also what happened with Halo when they decided to make Humans be an ancient spacefaring civilization rather than just a sentient lifeform that was advanced enough for the Forerunner technology to determine a Halo activation was needed again.

Yeah, everything that came out after Halo Reach is garbage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AriadneThread posted:

humans being special in halo started before 343, with them being classed as 'reclaimers' by forerunner tech
which the other aliens took as cause to declare war since their religion was based around them being the special chosen group.

Difference being that Halo always seemed more interested in the Human/Covenant interactions than the existential threat of the Flood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AriadneThread posted:

true, humans being special didn't really mean anything in itself
i take it the new games changed that? i didn't keep up after reach

The 343 Games brought back one of the Forerunners to defeat the humens because he was mad that reclaimers were around and he was a dick. Then in Halo 5 Cortana became the space police and took over giant Guardian sentinels to stop all wars by holding the galaxy at gunpoint. And Chief continues his ascendance towards space marine jesus.

They also doubled down on their extended universe novels, including a series set in the time of the Forerunners where humans and Forerunners were rival species. It all gets really dumb.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"600 years from where we began." Are they referring to 600 years since joining the galactic community, or 600 years since some arbitrary progression of humankind?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They also reverse engineered the liquid metal mass driver weapons from sovereign's wreckage that could one shot the collector ship, but then never mounted them on anything else and are never seen again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Continuing the trend of having stupid looking helmets, I see.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But are they voiced by the cast of farscape, firefly and the expanse? No they aren't. Quarian hips fo life

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they launched the Andromeda initiative during the two year jump in ME2'S prologue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neon Knight posted:

The Milky Way is just a bad seed that develops lovely sentient races and the Reapers were protecting the neighbouring galaxies.

You joke but that is honestly a better explanation than star child and the dangers of robots. It's like the aliens in The World's End trying to civilize earth for the galactic community except on a larger scale

• Locked thread