Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Riding: Since age 7. Started on dirt bikes.
Bike: 1975 Kawi 250
Terrain: Anything, there arent many opportunities to ride offroad in the MKE area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tehk posted:

Has anyone else had a bike they were emotionally and financially attached to because they decided to keep it a decade past its prime? I imagine I am alone in feeling this way about a 'disposable' mx bike.

Yes, I feel this way about my RV90. I will never sell it. I've sunk tons of money into it for essentially no reason other than I love it. I bought a $400 ignition for it, and the guy from the ignition company told me I'm the first person in the US to buy one for an RV90. I'm that crazy about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

invision posted:

LOL the engine just seized. It went "crackle crackle" then died now the kickstart wont move.

Fun!! Thats probably a bearing seize in the lower end

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bikes always run the best just before they blow up.

Now that you have the piston off, does the crank move freely?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cross posted from CP&V

I think this is the one time quads have the leg up on bikes. The quads just walk through that stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInmJ2WeBEM&feature=related

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll be hunting down some DRZ S wheels for it soon

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DRZ E's and S's seem to go cheap all the time around here

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Small bikes own offroad I did offroad only from 7 years old till my early 20's, and never got bigger than a 360 Yamaha 2-stroke (which was too big). 250 is the sweet spot for woods riding. Competition motocross is another animal with another solution.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cross posted from the questions thread

quote:

Since we were talking race sag a page or so back, here is a good illustrated primer:

http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm
http://www.tootechracing.com/Static%20Sag%20Suspension%20Tip.htm

Also a complete setup guide for modern upside down showas (biased towards dirt): http://www.tootechracing.com/Twin%20Chamber%20Setup%2010-12-07.pdf

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont use the decomp and kick it like a man.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gullous posted:

Says the guy with a E-start.

I have it to. It's just a matter of trying, right! What are you, tired?

:v:

Some races here run dead engine starts. When half the field has the button, I don't understand the policy.

I came up kickstarting a 360cc two stroke with a broken decomp lever, I've paid my dues.

If I could kickstart the DRZ (or could justify the $200 for the kickstart parts) I would

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is a mans dirtbike: http://youtu.be/CqgEl53x7CM?t=1m15s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh to have enough property to not even fully realize how far it goes

:allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Worth it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All the single goons

all the single goons

buy this dirtbiiike

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3217241877.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

I wouldn't bother continuing to change the oil every ride. KTM recommends changing it yearly after all. That's a pretty small engine though, have you considered a 690?

Same, its a two stroke, so any changeable oil isnt being exposed to runoff from combustion events unless something is very wrong with the motor.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VTNewb posted:

:siren: I bet your clutch side crank seal leaks more than you expect :siren:

Maybe on a KTM :fella:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have you ever ridden with prescription goggles? They are seriously awesome and solve the contact/glasses issue. Get some tearoffs and you're golden

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No one does cleanup rides? I've seen more than a few times where people go on rides and just pick up trash

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I swear every time I ride, I come back with a tattoo, so I feel your pain, man.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motionx-GPS will record tracks and spit out a gpx file when you're done

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cross-posted from the sumo thread since its equally applicable

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone have any experience having a local dealer true spoked wheels? The rear rim on my DRZ is out of alignment with the hub, and you can see it wobbling on the bike. I honestly dont think its bent, just untrue. I tend to not trust local dealer mechanics, but dont really know where else to go? I have never trued a spoked wheel, and dont really feel like starting with the DRZ

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HondaRider271 posted:

(and it doesn't hurt to know how to fall safely)

This. You wouldnt believe how many people start in dirt and never learn how to fall off the bike. Falling is part of riding dirt, and if you can control the fall you stand a much better chance of not getting hurt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Silver posted:

Like a boss.

Awesome. Tell me that person rode like a boss as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VTNewb posted:

~*my girlfriend*~ reviews the Sherco X-Ride

http://trailridermagazine.uberflip.com/i/148611

Oh poo poo you got friendzoned in the first sentence bro!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tell him to knock $1500 off by selling it without those flexx bars

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cross posting from the questions thread where no one seemed to know the answer:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a brembo front master on my drz. It's the master off like every single disc ktm ever. It's specifically from a 2004 125sx, but came on the 250, 350, 450, 525, etc.

If it sits for a couple of days without use, it will lose its prime, and the first time you squeeze the brake, the lever goes to the bars. If you pump it a bit, it comes back and works until it sits for another couple days.

This is super annoying, is it in need of a rebuild kit or what? It's properly bled, fluid is at the proper level, no leaks, etc.

As a follow-up to this, I cannot for the life of me find a rebuild kit for this master cylinder:

http://www.oppracing.com/product_display/30784-brembo-oe-front-brake-master-cylinder-ps11-silver-wreservoir-wlever97

Mine is specifically from a 2004 KTM 125sx

Google is of no help. KTM-havers, where can I find this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think you're right!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T-Square posted:

Can ice bieks bro it up in here too?

I haven't been in CA in a while, but I got bored today and screwed around on the lake, which someone conveniently plowed out a 1/3 mile oval. Kinda rutty and junky today though.

There's music for the first minute or so, skip past that if it ain't your thing. I've never edited a video before and wanted to play around with it :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feSHD8l7IWU

PS, if anyone in SE Wisconsin needs a dirtbike buddy, I haven't ridden dirt for a few years and would like to get back into it. Bike will probably be getting set of dirt tires once it warms up.

Yo I'm in SE wisco too and there is nowhere to ride dirt around here :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

At least you're closer to the Bong Recreation Area than I am Jim. There's even less gently caress all dirt to ride by Madison and the MPD don't take too kindly to wheelies on the street.

Really? I would have thought that since immediately west of Madison is no mans land, that there would be a decent amount of dirt riding to be found out there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put'er in green box mode and go nuts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Alright, time to start browsing CL for a 250 2t for my first dirtbike. You've put the want in my head.

What kind of riding will you be doing? A 250 stroker is fun for sure, but isnt the right biek for everything

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:sever:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

African Americans cannot be r*cist

Can you knock off the endless baiting of this subject?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sand is tricky at first because your brain tells you to slow down when the front wheel gets all wobbly and mushy, but you really need to treat sand like a liquid and your bike like a boat and get up on plane with some speed and things smooth out.

Going slow in sand will just tire you the gently caress out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character posted:

Well, just bought a 2021 250 xc-w TPI today. Has just a couple hours on it. Guy decided he wants a Harley instead.

Now I need to figure out shipping. Then, new foot pegs, new tires, rad guard, fan, put on my clake 2 and some handguards and I'll be all set.

I’m not sure how you go from that bike to a Harley but it seems to have worked in your favor so I’m not gonna question it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

500excf type r posted:

Also you're the only one on the planet that knows the bike stalled itself out and everyone just thinks you can't use a clutch

Did this the other day in my car. Of course since it’s a push button start AND stick, you can’t just turn the key and quickly hide your shame. The stick needs to be in neutral, clutch depressed, brake on, etc.

I got honked at like a motherfucker, an extremely shameful driving experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dema posted:

Chicken Corners was super good. Some little technical parts and quite scenic.

This looks amazing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pushing bikes sucks. Pushing bikes in the sand? May as well hire a helicopter to airlift the drat thing out like a stranded horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Today I learned that Husqvarna makes a 150, 250 and 300cc two stroke motor with fuel injection???

Color me impressed

Boutta change the title to “Wow Husqvarnas”