Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wait a second, he's not even 100% sure that the ball he took was the "real" ball anyhow.

I like to believe there is a benevolent force in the universe and that King picked up the wrong ball. And will eventually get hit by a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't think its necessarily being unreasonable thinking that there could be players that are claiming injury that didn't have head injuries.

But I'm pretty sure every player has had a concussion at some point. Using the highly scientific measure of how many of my friends have been concussed sled riding, I'm going with a 100% NFL concussion rate.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Merril Hodge had his career ended and nearly died because of concussions (which he later successfully sued the poo poo out of the Bears for mishandling), and he somehow still got all self-righteous about the Kurt Warner thing.

I remember, like, 20 years ago us moron kids joking about how Hoge was one more head injury away from dying on the field.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

I think his analogy is the worst.

"Matt Forte isn't being paid by the Bears. So he... should... start his own football team?"

So...is that like nested hypotheticals or what? Because that very first "say you..." makes the entire thing a hypothetical situation, so you don't need to keep saying it over and over again.

Even the conclusion of the hypothetical is a hypothetical conclusion! My brain hurts!

Also, yes, Matt Forte has to go down to the bank and get a $100 billion loan to get his own football team.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

midwat posted:

Man, I wish copy editors still existed.

I'm an editor (among other things) by trade.

I largely edit things written by engineers, who at least have the excuse of being colossal aspies that didn't have to learn how to write in the first place.

At least they have an excuse.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Oodles of Wootles posted:

How often do you hear "I don't need to know how to write, I'm an engineer"?

Thankfully, there are two people between the engineers and me. I look at the sentence and think "nope, not publishing this. Rewrite it." I send that back to my person, who moves it on to the proper person in, oh, Astrophysics. That guy hands it back to the engineer. He's probably the guy that then gets to hear it.

The thing that baffles me is that hockey seems to have better writers. Baseball is all smug jackasses, but football is smug morons.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I went looking for an example of one of the awful sentences I wanted a rewrite on, but was denied.

Instead I found a thing that:

1) I designed
2) I wrote
3) I proofread, twice
4) I checked off on
5) I missed two capitalizations

Good job me!

still got a bonus out of it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blackula69 posted:

I do not envy her job.

My client is a Federal agency.

The self-importance of sportswriters is what kills me. Yeah I love football too, but you don't have a dream job as far as I'm concerned. I give zero fucks about you as a person because I care about the football. Not your jackass opinion. Which is why I don't read anyone's columns or anything.

I get to write about space which is more fun to me than turning a diversion and escapist fantasy into work.

I've been incredibly self-aware of my grammar in these posts, but...gently caress it I'm off the clock.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I want to reach through the internet and nutpunch anyone that puts "just a thought" at the end of their comment.

OF COURSE ITS JUST A THOUGHT.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I refuse to nutpunch myself.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GD_American posted:

Apparently the fragile psyches of athletes go through more swings of extreme realization followed by crippling self-doubt in one 3-hour game than any of us knew.

Hockey goalies, man. You pull one too early or too late and you risk breaking them forever. Like horse or sled dog.

Of course, they probably already suffer from some mental issues in the first place, given their chosen vocation.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"Aren't there idiot websites for that?"

Yes. AOL's newsportal, for instance.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Party in the UAE posted:

“@WhitlockJason: After kids are grown (out of high school), marriages should be re-opened and both parties should have to agree to renew vowels.”

Almost 60% of marriages fail because they can't agree if Y counts or not.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm, like, in the top 5% most boring people to have ever lived and I think Peter King is hyper-boring.

You'd think "I needed to get into a Starbucks so fast I just stopped the car and threw the four ways on!" would cause you to re-evaluate a lot of things in your life.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

She was born in the Pittsburgh area. She can't help where she was born just as Clevelanders can't help being born in a relentlessly cruel and punishing sports Hell.

I think most Browns fans have adapted to just hating the Steelers and not enjoying their own team.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I have literally nothing going on in my life, yet even I find enough to occupy myself with to not have to worry about bullshit no human being should worry about. Why do people give so much poo poo about what a football man does when he's not on the football field conducting football?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was under the impression that football was a team sport.

Apparently you just need a quarterback that can Super Bowl.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ehud posted:

passcatchers

Dumbest term since they started saying "warfighter."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Pro Bowl seriously gets the same ratings as the NLCS and ALCS? That just sounds wrong for some reason.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

All websites should drop comments.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Anals of History posted:

I can't believe a grown man wrote that. The record would scratch if you said this out loud at a party.

Depends on the party, really.

None of them are the kind of party you or I want to go to though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Remember when the Steelers did bad because they were bad? Isn't that proof that Tebow is good!?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Benne posted:

Just a reminder that Rick Reilly gets paid handsomely for this

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9261432/jets-view-stanza

I love this because it produced this http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/13/4327352/rick-reilly-jets-tim-tebow-poem which in turn I love because I never thought I'd see the day someone referred to Childhood's End in a sports column.

There I removed that comma that it decided was part of the URL for some reason and now the grammar is all messed up and I'll always be upset because of it.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 14, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you need an out of touch white guy, I'm right here when you need me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Every time I've ever set foot in NYC, I've barely left Midtown and I walked everywhere.

Your move, Peter King.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

midwat posted:

It joins such other entries as "coffee-flavored water," "Amtrak quiet cars" and "grammar."

...I think I might be Peter King.

Help

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Three Cubans in the Senate just seems unlikely at best!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

midwat posted:

Misread that as "Pro Football Talk." Was ever-so-briefly happy.

I made the same mistake.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is that a real three questions or some sort of fanfic?

Is it unsettling that I had to ask this?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sure didn't take long for one reason to jump right out at me:

quote:

Over one-third of youth (35 percent) have a medical disqualification, with obesity a large contributing factor. Drug or alcohol abuse removes 18 percent, and another 23 percent do not meet our standards for reasons such as criminal misbehavior, low aptitude scores, or having more dependents than can reliably be accommodated in the early career.

Obviously I'm not saying that random minority kid hits all of those at once, but there's plenty that tick one of those boxes. Especially that first one. As I recall, something near 30% of African-Americans in the "can to join the military" age are obese and Hispanics aren't doing better. I remember the Navy bending over backwards trying to get me to go off on the OCS route. I had no idea that the viable pool was so tiny. I'm one of the biggest chickenhawks to ever live, and I don't buy into the Our Troops circlejerking (mainly because I know plenty of servicemen hate it), but his "oh the Army is for people with nothing to lose" was pretty insulting to...virtually everyone I've ever met that served.

I'm not too worried about football. Kids will always want to run around and throw a ball and chase each other. They'll change the rules and eventually everything will work itself out. Then we'll look at old highlights and think "poo poo that's what we used to watch!?" Sort of like when I watch highlights from late 80s NHL, which was practically gladiatorial combat at times. There's stuff that you'll see and the commentators are like "clean hit" and now it would be a 30 game suspension.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I just looked it up, Mike Webster was 6'4", 255 at center for those Steeler teams.

Their current center, Maurkice Pouncey is also 6'4". And is listed as 305 lbs. Webster was considered undersized for a center, but still, 50 loving pounds, incredible.

I also have several second hand accounts that Mike Webster was a very nice guy, whereas Maurkice Pouncey is awful.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Actually I'm probably most excited about the thought of Brady begging for flags.

"poo poo, I think Jack Lambert just bit Brady."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hate when people blame capitalism for things that have nothing to do with the economic system we live in.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I also enjoyed the part where he described a pretty standard restaurant.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Weather touched me :smith:

I got paid a fortune to write drivel about sports, flown all over the country all the time, and then got to go to the Super Bowl and it was mildly uncomfortable temperature-wise. What a travesty.

If they'd rather be warm, they can watch and report live from my living room and I'll use their passes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I might be conflating things, but I'm pretty sure anyone could be a Seminole. What with "Seminole" not really being the name of a Native American group (they were the Creek, Choctaw, and some others). I thought it meant something like renegade and is just a Creek word.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kalli posted:

I wonder how many of those response letters he posted for his followup column were misquoted...

Go to the Washington Post's site, find an article about the name issue, and watch people rabidly defend it, no matter what mental gymnastics are required.

The worst are the "its racist" --> "no its not" --> "are you a minority?" --> "yes I'm a black guy" --> "so we can call a team the Fighting Negromen?" --> "THATS NOT THE SAME."

The articles about the old black guy that dresses up like an Indian Chief may have been the worst comments in internet history.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm certainly not denying that he could haul up real, authentic, perfectly-quoted letters agreeing with him out of his huge mailbag, but trying to gain a sense of how the whole world looks and thinks based off the minorities that populate comment chains and message boards will give you a view of humanity composed primarily of extremist shitheads.

Maybe I could also cite...everything else that can provide a source of information. People defend that name pretty fiercely.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

St1cky posted:

The only problem with Washington changing their name is the inevitable change to the "Washington Tigers" and Dan Snyder suing a bunch of college teams, the Detroit Tigers, and Tiger Woods for trademark infringement.

Look the logo already kinda looks like a quarter, so just change it to Washington and become the Washington Washingtons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's a bit hyperboley

• Locked thread