Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

khysanth posted:

p99 is a sickness

Yeah pretty much spot on!

They used to allow complete character (account) sales which people made a ridiculous profit on. Of course it was for plat only but.. yea okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Givin posted:

I know it's just fresh discussed but, friend and I are going to do monk/
EDIT:

If you are not the bard, Shaman or Druid. I ended up as a Monk & Shaman to conclude the above discussion. Only level 20 yet but enjoying the two quite a bit. I do miss the idea of ports, but I'll live. Tiny Troll is worth a whole lot more than ports really, if we're being honest.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I am now a level 16 enchanter on Coirnav. This is a fun class! I’ve never played an enchanter before.

yes! pet breaks can get tedious beyond reason, and will burn you out of the class eventually, but definitely an extremely fun / unique class.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Solarin posted:

Polar bear hats

A fully shrunk barb wearing a leather helm is simply the best.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I always wanted a Gnome Rogue, but god drat are those stats just horrendous until Velious raid gear stat caps everything. Daybreak just needs to give me a gnome illusion mask on the cash shop, I’d buy one for every character. Gnome Monk would just own bones.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Cleric for a pocket Rez is absolutely a requirement for me with a group of friends / boxing setup. You are spot on about the time-lost aspect. It is much less drastic on these servers if you are playing with an exp pot up, but losing 30minutes+ worth of pulls is never a good feeling. Especially demoralizing if the entire group wipes.

Givin posted:

When Lanys opened in 99, I made a gnome rogue and dumped all starting points into agility, because agility and dex are always rogue stats right? I was overweight with a small set of banded.

I originally created a Troll Shaman and immediately deleted them after playing on a Halfling for minutes because of their innate run-speed bonus.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Givin posted:

I'll probably drag them to out of the way camps like Kedge Keep if we can find DPS with big enough nuts to go there. Long story short, probably should have waited till Kunark to get in but hey, pre nerf mask of deception is too tempting.

I just want you to know that I 100% support these two sentences and would love to promote more Kedge groups on Corinav.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah the needing everything isn’t my favorite but it has been consistently expected in every group, so no big deal. I’ve not had issues with asking for an upgrade out of someone if they won the roll and can’t use it. Everyone really does seem to get more friendly the moment you stop humping unrest.

Can’t speak towards other assholes, but if I’m pulling for 30 minutes and only getting green or below because we can’t find an open camp, I’m logging or doing something else. It’s not fun running in circles on its own, it is even worse when you are just running in circles with no exp as the outcome.

vvvvv yeah this is a huge part of it. I may pull for 3 hours straight without a single afk break, I think that is worth throwing my my name into the random lottery machine. Same for any healer or caster that has been helping keep kills smooth. Friend / guild groups? NBG. You are dungeoning to gear up for a common cause. Random pugs? You’re on your own, the EXP is the common factor bringing you together.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 30, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Dump all your points into sneak and mash sneak when you fd / pull in sneak but stay out of los of other mobs also enjoy being rooted six loving times in a row.

Lastnight I was pulling to frenzied and the hamlord group was pulling as far up the tower as we were. Had several pulls merge and be 10+ strong, was some scary poo poo but loved being FD while their SK died a few times trying to steal my pulls.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Butttttttttt please don't make me pull, Monk pulling is actually horrible

Why does this keep coming up? Monks are the classic pullers, deal with it and use feign death after the spell hits you. Los casters, take the hit, fd. Reroll if pulling is offensive on the only vanilla class capable of pulling risk free.

Use throwing stone on yourself to break root.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Givin posted:

Anyone in a raiding guild on Coirnav worth a poo poo? Been through two so far that values boxes over full time mains and it just feels like this server is the drippy poo poo runoff of the other two TLPs.

I've been raiding with Unforeseen for awhile now. I like em, but full disclosure I pretty much only login to raid until Kunark gives me more things to do. They aren't annoying, and the officers do seem to have good intent. They are also the only non-EST raiding guild on the entire freaking server so, default choice ended up being good for me luckily. We do Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday starting at 8p PST, 50% attendance requirement. Boxes and alts are definitely below raiders, and we only bring boxes on split dragons / when there is a need and not enough individual people, which we hadn't had issues with for a few weeks running now.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Givin posted:

We looked at Unforseen but at the time they weren't looking for our group comp and we're an all or nothing package deal . Understandable since you can't swing a cat in every guild without hitting 20 Shadowknights.

Ended up in <Imperceptible> and they run a crazy amount of boxes. Mobs die but it doesn't seem like they like to give direction and just assume people know how things should run under their system. Again expected as this is probably the majority of these groups 3rd time through a TLP.

Bummer :( Keep us in mind, and I wouldn't be opposed to poking at the officers if it came to it down the road. We're already looking at waitlists for mains on raids though, so if you have a 4-5 person package deal it really makes that hard to sway, unless you're bringing a handful of druids with you (we have.. two total that aren't boxes) and clerics.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Republicans posted:

Haha holy poo poo. I got the pawbuster to spawn after 1 PH yesterday and today I walked into chardok and the iksar betrayer just happened to be up. Barely managed to solo him at 60 but boy am I glad I took the time to work up my chardok faction so I could just waltz in like that.

:toot: Well done!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

MrTheDevious posted:

drat I just came to see how my EQ dudes were doing these days. Nevermind...Time to back away slowly :psypop:

EQ never changes...

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

koreban posted:

It’s not “Classic EQ”, but seriously, that stuff isn’t as fun as your nostalgia goggles would have you believe without the right group of people to play with (and coirnav is a festering pile of angst and circa 2001 retard rickshaw levels of miserable).

Yeah, I burnt out at the prospect of doing the VP key grind / trak / seb / kc routine all over again and quit for Kunark's launch on Corinav. Now I'm considering if returning to get a fungi stick in time would be worth it for any future interest to play Velious and beyond.. Haven't learned my lesson yet.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

iNteg posted:

Unknown Legacy. I moved to California and they’re the only real PST guild on the server

So much so they absorbed my old guild from when I was still playing, the only other PST guild since vanilla.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

iNteg posted:

what guild? and who are you on Coirnav?

Unforeseen, my understanding is that they all got scooped up. If Ashkari / Coro / Khary / Vetis are still around, they're some good dudes from Unforeseen. I was Normal / Usual mostly, but haven't logged in since Kunark. I tend to find myself burning out on raiding around then on these TLPs.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

iNteg posted:

Yeah, Vetis isn’t, I’m AwwYiss, Ashkari and Kharybdis are still around, Coro is taking a break but we all play WoW.

oh nice! i know who to bug if I get the itch then! (yea i know, front door app only now)

Glad you dudes were able to find a home instead of it being entirely starting over from square one, managing that sort of thing is a colossal pain in the rear end.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Elephunk posted:

Corinav Question:

Trying to max LockPick on a Bard, I am at 42 Skill right now:

*Went to Befallen, 1st and 3rd doors are just unlocked permanently; I clicked door 2 a bunch of times and never got a skill-up

*Went to Najena, all the doors there gave me "Not sufficient skill to pick this lock."

*Guild nerds are telling me to go to Paineel and click rocks?

*Some other guild guy said he got to 200 in Befallen but if it takes 20+ clicks for 1 skill-up then count me out

Any lockpick TLP advice?

AutoHotkey is the part they didn't mention in /gu i'm guessing, look up click macros but properly time them to not fire every ms.

You'll gain lockpick on any door you can unlock, so find a locked door you can pop open, Befallen door 2 but

Elephunk posted:

if it takes 20+ clicks for 1 skill-up then count me out
way higher, seriously AHK is your friend. Not saying run it overnight, but watch netflix / play anything else while you skill it.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 4, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I’m pretty sure I’ve made several iterations of “they’ll never release a faction ui” over the years and wow holy poo poo they do it after firing most the staff.

Just got off work and opened steam and... https://store.steampowered.com/app/987350/PlanetSide_Arena/

hahahahahahaha holy poo poo, they're selling redesigning re-releasing Planetside 2 (a free-to-play game) as an Arena Shooter and charging people $60 for it at full price (currently 50% off for pre-ordering!) Yeah Daybreak!!

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 14, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah.. this reeks. Also means a new TLP is likely to be announced soon i'm sure.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Tai posted:

Ehh selo server a bit short on lock outs if you ask me. Would of rather had 6-8 weeks. I'd actually call the selo server the hardcore server since you'll need to grind like poo poo to keep up with progression.

Yeah this was my thought as well. A month to go from 0-60 then have pop launch is not a casual start, faster exp or not.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Tai posted:

I think they bricked it tbh. Selo isn't bad it's just a bit underwhelming. Mangler is just out right poo poo.

See I'd be more interested in a Selos, but 12 weeks for expansion unlock instead of four would be perfect, especially starting in Luclin so you have a lot of space to spread out and farm through the levels. That would give me enough time to log in 2-4 times a week, play for a handful of hours tops each day, and still not feel like i'm always behind schedule. They're missing the mark on what makes casual play possible, half right with the increased Exp / rare drop rate, but the time investment requirements won't really feel that different with how little time you'll have between the next grind being unlocked.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I know i've already posted a couple times but yeah. If i was in a raid group, i'd absolutely push for Selos over Mangler / any other TLP at the moment. More rare spawns? Reduced instance lockouts? Less exp grinding? The raiding schedule for Selos is going to be absolutely intense for some guilds, badly so knowing they'll have four eras worth of targets to hit right away.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

quote:

We are a hardcore guild. Formed for the sole purpose of being number 1 on the server. The leaders of this guild have crushed every guild they've gone against in all prior TLPs. This is the 20th anniversary guild of champions, all other guilds are just impersonating.

Casual Server looking good!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

At least mangler lets you get the time locked items like the cos.. I’ll have a necro Druid combo, I think.. uh oh.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Advance Loot are we talking? because that is the best QOL improvement the modern client brings imo and I love it so much.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Nodelphi posted:

As someone who is coming back for the Selo server, I do suggest making a free newbie and getting used to the relatively slow pace of gameplay and the UI again. I’m certainly glad I did, it probably saved me enough frustration to ensure I’ll have a good time once the server opens.

I still can’t figure out that master loot thing they added though.

Definitely would recommend people messing around on Vox (the free server at the top of the list) or if you're already subbed, yeah phinny, in order to setup UI just to avoid doing that on launch day if you're itching for it. Will just be a lot easier to already have the basics again re-learned.

The advance loot window is well, select Always Need / Greed / Pass, i wanna say that's the "AN/AG/AV" first three rows. The next three rows are 'this drop only need/greed/pass'. You can always type /advloot to pull up the config, and black/whitelist items through the window. If you accidentally always-needed or passed something for example. I've also run into some groups that insist on a need all, so had to edit things as they dropped then.. reclick the checkboxes afterwards.

Some UI stuff if you aren't familiar, also keep in mind the ui folder now contains the default / old spell gems, so you already have those luckily.

https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417 a poster of our own makes this and it is the best imo

https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=4615 more familiar 'old' UI for lots of people

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

sitcom bathysphere posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the Official EQ1 Progression servers versus P1999? Namely, why choose this version over that one? Isn’t P1999 more nostalgic?

This is the official eq1 thread, and kind of defacto progression server as a result, most discussion revolves around those servers for context.

I’m someone who played p99 for a good couple years both on blue and red endgame already. The appeal of the live progression servers is starting over again, when tattered leather drops feel like an upgrade and everyone else is equally in rags. I missed the chance to get time locked items due to lack of knowledge or time I could camp back a decade oh my god two decades ago now gently caress, so it is nice to start from scratch and build up a character.

Also the small few quality of life improvements (no actual corpse run for gear, some servers have improved exp rate, clickys in bags, etc) just add up to be more enjoyable than a 1:1 true to 1999 experience for me.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

sitcom bathysphere posted:

These all make a lot of sense.
My main problem with the live TLPs is the “revamped” look some of the old zones, like Freeport. My nostalgia...n-no...
:negative:

Yeah the new Freeport blows chunks. I like the new oasis (unlimited croc spawns, it’s basically oasis and sro) and misty thicket. Lavastorm is just weird, neriak is better but still a bad zone imo, and innothule swamp is still the worst zone in classic.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Gray Matter posted:

I'll be there. I've prejoined <Midnight Rations> guild, which is a bunch of Fourth Meal guys from Agnarr

Fourth Meal were a good group, and I’m assuming from their name PST times are still their thing.

I’ll probably end up applying to them as well if they’re still open / don’t have huge raid attendance asks. Really just want to casually level and farm alt gear, minor raiding but not working a schedule around it again.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Good to note that living side of LGuk is usually ignored, and you can pretty much always find an open pick for live frogs. Tons of mobs / impromptu camping spots, or legit camps there. High 30s and up, you definitely need CC, i'd say moreso than dead side.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

That Old Tree posted:

What are the prospects for like a druid overnights on servers like Mangler? I can typically only play after 12am or 1am EST, and I'd love to try some nostalgia server, but if I'd basically just be alone why bother.

Mangler is going to be populated 24/7 and there will be multiple instances of leveling zones (available to cycle through with /pick) open at all times of the day. Lower guk ends up spinning somewhere around 20-30 copies of itself and in the first couple weeks of a TLP there will be plenty of them open at really weird times. You may run into some periods where it isn’t as busy, but you should not worry about any population problems.

Also, midnight EST is just 9pm PST. People like me will just be getting out of work and logging in around then, too.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

That Old Tree posted:

Cool, thanks!

This may be a dumb question, but spell progression remains like it is on live, right? They don't go back to the weird staggered thing with dead levels on progression servers, do they?

Yeah it’s off the live model. What I do is google ‘eq alla druid spells’ and it is usually the top result. When searching for spells on that site, just be mindful of what Expansion you have selected. Even with the live model for spells, we still get them by expansion.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I’ll be out of town for the whole weekend. I just hope the anniversary exp bonus that we know is coming doesn’t start until next weekend and not this.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Solarin posted:

Runes are the poo poo. As a healer it's depressing seeing how poorly utilized they are in raids by enchanters who don't give a gently caress. They also have an aggro boost or decrease line that I never see them use.

I remember doing rune spam rotations on tanks early into Kunark progression.

Also see a shocking lack of grouped enchanters with charm pets not using rune. Just slap a 1p shield up on yourself. It lets you have more than half a second to respond in time to not die on a pet break!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Tai posted:

Runes aren't needed for the bulk of the levels that enchanter charm is useful tbh.

All you need to cast is your 4 second AE stun (level 3?) and is very fast cast time, your first mez which is at level 2 and lasts 12 seconds. Assuming you don't chain fizzle, mez will land before the stun drops. Follow with a re cast of tash and then cast your charm again. The mez drops off a few seconds later.

Right this is all true, but the second you go exping into the Hole you better bet having a 2k hp shield helps you not get flatlined in 2 seconds because you decided to take a drink / take your hands off the keyboard for half a second at the wrong time. Can’t tell you how many times I died from literally just taking a drink of water at the wrong time during downtime. Anything you can buffer to prevent this helps.

Is it necessary in optimal play? No, but it helps give you that extra second if your healer isn’t on the ball and you just got quadded for 144s by a hasted rock golem.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Ehud posted:

Curious about this and class penalties.

Also - is there some way to quantify the leveling rate of Mangler vs Project1999? I'm considering getting involved but I don't think I could handle the soul crushing leveling rate of original EQ.

Extremely way better than p99 exp rates.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/how-fast-is-ragefire-xp.254928/#post-3752970 (next page has more examples of per-kill if you want to dig more and compare it to the same test on p99)

I don't have a direct comparisson, but i'd imagine p99 blue is on the classic exp rate, p99 red is on some kind of fucky group bonus exp system where I think it maxed out at 250% in a full party? I'd assume this is going to feel like r99 more than blue by a significant margin. Plus we'll have the anniversary 50% exp bonus that exists yearly around launch, and exp pots which you'll get x3 a month for free* and are encouraged to chug like the addict you know you were meant to be.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 15, 2019

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I did soon bugs and bats in solb from 35-44, better exp than any lguk camp, way less overcrowding.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don’t roll an enchanter as first class no matter what you do any decision is better. They are the most powerful class and most easy to gently caress up due to inexperience. People on TLPs aren’t patient for newbies, especially ones that expect you to lockdown 5 mobs a pull while maintaining a charm pet with minimal if any breaks for 4 hour sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

I got a krono . Took my 94 SK to VOA and could barely fight a light blue with a merc . Should I just join with the goons on the new server ? I’m down for any role

We've got a bunch of people in the discord that are playing on Mangler, but we are all split up into a couple guilds mostly depending on if you are EST or PST for raid times. Should you roll there depends on if you want to start in classic from scratch or not. I personally find it fun. Most of our guildchat is going to be in the discord server.