Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

rally posted:

Is there some way to load up an instance of EQ where you’re old school GM power and can cruise through zones up to Velious soloing kunark and ntov and whatnot? I want to get a nostalgia kick but I don’t want to poop sock for 5 years like I did back in the day.

http://www.eqemulator.org/

Some assembly required although It's not super hard to set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Verbose posted:

So then the idea is you use your plat to buy krono from other people, and then put your krono up for sale on some website?

Also, this is something that will pay off a few xpacs down the line right? The other farming stuff is better at launch?

Redguides although I guess they switched to https://ectunnel.com/community/

Found those vendors to be cheaper back when I played.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

cmdrk posted:

oh wow. how quickly do they die down? is everyone gone by Luclin or does it keep going strong through PoP etc..?

Pretty much every TLP goes strong till PoP.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

milkman dad posted:

This is actually kind of interesting to me-- do we know how well an eqemu server would handle that load of ~5000 players? When green got full and they had to make teal was that due to overcrowding or server instability?

Server wise p99 has handled I think there were 3k online at velious launch with zero issues. Zone wise they can handle about 300 before things start to go tits up. I've seen 400-500 in ToV and the guilds had to basically stop pulling because it was impossible to play.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Uncle Ulty posted:

Hmm, I thought so. That's too bad. I'm interested in checking it out again, but not enough to set up a second account and fresh character, and figure out how to 2box. I might pop in to wander around though.

But honestly my nostalgia runs all the way to when Freeport was 3 zones and spending my time on the Orc Highway in Oasis of Marr - watching out for spectres and Sand Giants, so I'm not even sure how much is still there that I'd remember. Thanks!

I'd highly recommend p99 just play for a month or however long it takes to get you bored. It's really the only place that is gonna come even close to letting you stroll down memory lane with a ton of other people.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

A ton of people in my old phinny guild and my current p1999 guild play with their kids. It is a pretty common phenomenon, especially in these older games where people are middle-aged by and large. Surprised ya'll haven't encountered it, although I only have time to play in a super casual atmosphere, so that might make a difference.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

schwein11 posted:

I played EQ heavily from release until Luclin, checked in briefly during PoP and again very briefly during the expansion that added frogloks. I spent almost all of that time on Tallon Zek and I doubt I would have been as addicted to it if I had been on a non-pvp server. My brother, who played during most of that same period also on TZ has fallen back into the rabbit hole after my 8 year old son unearthed some of my old maps in the basement and showed them to him. Fast forward a couple months and my brother suckered me into joining him.

We’re both playing our old mains on Zek - enchanter (now 72) for him and wizard (60) for me. I’m trying to convince him to start up on Mischief with me later this month but I think he’s too married to his character and to pvp. Assuming we stay on Zek: (1) any goon presence on Zek? And (2) I never boxed or used third party software in the past (despite my old guild leader being rather infamous for doing so), but am thinking about boxing and am wondering what would be a good third class to add to our current ENC/WIZ combo - any ideas?

Zek is rear end. any actual pvp you do is gonna be against turbo nerds running mq2 and showeq. good luck with that. you can port your characters to another server if it is that big of a deal. firiona vie would be a lot funner and populated (lol). keep trying to get him to go on mischief because the initial rushes feel like EQ of days gone by imo more than anything else except like p1999/takp

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

WTF BEES posted:

Sadly I don't have the time, or any friends interested enough, to actually play, but man watching these guys on Twitch on this bonkers new progression server is just the biggest nostalgia bomb. Probably the only thing stopping me is no Kunark/Iksar yet. I may have to roll a monk when the time comes and punch some leeches....

Edit: I'm also the weirdo that fell absolutely in LOVE with Beastlord when it came out. I love pet classes, I loved monk, and the mix was just absolutely perfect. Shame you would have to wait for Luclin.

You can just race switch to iksar when kunark drops, end up doing this like every TLP. thems lizard robes ya know very fancy not like stupid smoothskins!

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Shoulder = Wurm Scale Cloak, Sode of Empowerment, or Mantle of fire. I think there is one that drops of Trak too

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

The old graphics are far more charming. If the Luclin models weren't created by a contract to the cheapest fly-by-night company possible maybe we would be in a different place, but we're not and they are beyond terrible.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Zil posted:

Though it was kind of sad to see all the deleted account comments and the fact that all class boards no longer exist, overall was just a pure nostalgia trip today.

The best of them still lives though!
https://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/index.php

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Kefit posted:

On p1999, the Spear of Constriction is one of the best items in the game for a torpor shaman because it gives them access to a powerful snare for use when soloing. So it's not exactly detritus in era.

I imagine it becomes far less useful in Luclin and beyond, but that's power creep for you.

Yeah you can do some very silly solo fights with that spear and fd ring.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Fanelien posted:

Yep. this happened. Looks like they're limiting time loot to time now. On one hand the random loot rather defeats the point of the progression expac like PoP, but on the other hand limiting loot tables to end zones defeats the purpose of a 'randomised' loot server. And yeah these changes always happen after the speed runners and bot crews have exploited the gently caress out of it.

I mean you gotta have some form of artificial scarcity from the companies standpoint. Having top tier equipment only cost a couple krono vs 20 is a big profit loss for them.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Fanelien posted:

All the people I play with tell me the community is a dumpster fire.

It's like if Trumpism was a thing somehow during 2002, that's the feel of those forums sometimes. It used to be a trope, probably still is, that a goon would stare into the abyss too long and go mildly crazy until ceasing to play p99. Interesting place at the least.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Few people are worthy of the prestige of a PD robe for the two months in which that is actually prestigious. Better to save that dkp and roll the dice on your single pre-nerf ST clear, though, for the truly dedicated.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Bots = money so I don't see them loving over their own bottom line again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I was in a guild with a guy who was a krono RMT dude on the sell side. Leveled up characters, exploited dkp systems to get them geared, poopsocked to get loot to sell for krono. He was super helpful if he felt the help he was giving you would help him in return. The most egregious was velious gearing a 'guild warrior' when we were short warriors.

At the end of velious, he sold all his toons, liquidated most of his krono and got $5k-10k out for 9 months of work.

I can only imagine what his nightmare of a life looks like.

All the people who do this on p99 are on some kind of welfare. Kinda owns imo