Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
After falling back into old habits and having a pc that can run it again I reinstalled EQ and started up again on Aradune. I got to the point where I need to research spells and I end up going to freeport and what the hell happened to the place. Its huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Future Son posted:

I just started playing again since the Vulak TLP server (and a long time off before that too), and I really don’t understand anything about the game anymore. Every zone I go to is completely empty, and I have no idea where to go or what to do or where to find info to learn.

It’s sad that I barely even remember old zone names or connections anymore. It’s also so confusing how much has been moved around, and all the new features.

I’m not sure what I was hoping to find coming back, but I feel like the EQ that I knew and loved from Kunark to Gates of Discord(?) is long dead, and that’s such a shame.

All I want is a Naggy raid, a Seb or KC group, a Dain/Tormax/NToV raid, a dragon fight of any kind, any PoP raid, or just a chance to group up with a few people to run PoSky and get the last couple pieces of my 1.0 epic quest to finish it or to help out on some old school stuff that brings back those feelings. And I don’t think it’s possible without learning how to 30-box or something ridiculous that just isn’t the same. I don’t want to just grind trash from 65 to 115 with a merc in a game where nothing makes any sense.

I’ve got this crazy deep feeling of loss. It’s just the worst. :cry:

I've been enjoying aradune and I play the same way I used to. No boxing, no alts, just focusing on one main, pick up groups and soloing. I hit 60 recently and found a guild thats raiding all of the content and getting ready for luclin.

The population is actually p healthy in many respects, although how that manifests in terms of zone crowding and pick up groups is different because the Zone Instance Picks have affected things. Crowding used to spread people out across the zones, picks means they don't have to do that. The result is, you can find pick up groups but you're sort of locked into a zone progression which (right now) is lowbie area => unrest => Tower of Frozen Shadow => Velk's laboratory. It'll take more effort/patience to find Kunark groups right now unless you're an enc. Chardok seems to have more activity than sebilis (which is weird to me because it was always the inverse even post Kunark back in the old days).

There are several guilds farming lots of the raid content that you're pining for. There is a recruitment subforum on the eq forums where you can find the time zone you play in and see what guilds are recruiting and get their discord links. They also post and recruit out of general chat. I have managed to find a pick up group in the arena and raided with a casual guild on some of the classic raid content, but after a certain point you'll need to seek out one of the more organized guilds for velious and luclin content. That said they're actively recruiting and prepping for the luclin expansion release, so its a good time to level up quick if you can.

The time period you're talking about was my EQ sweet spot too and for the moment I'm really enjoying aradune. Its not the same as back then but that cuts both ways, there have been some quality of life improvements made to the game and honestly if you have a little down time while lfg it doesn't sting as bad when you can just tab out and check something or veg on your phone for a little bit until you find something.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Solarin posted:

Good luck to everybody who will be immersing themselves in the poo poo that is launch rush keying

Been a hell of a poo poo show on the key farming but the launch itself has been fun.

And nothing like wiping on emp to remind you how loving nutso hard EQ used to be when you didn't respawn with your gear :allears:

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 8, 2021

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Solarin posted:

Our Emp was pretty smooth since we just completely focused on that key. We had a full raid keyed and lots of banes by Saturday night. Fun fight to heal as a shaman. Really nice having on the ball enchanters and wizards to spell shield/rune at the right time to keep the tank from exploding from the big nuke.

VT shards are a disaster but at least it's sort of gated by a second emp kill for us so the pressure is off a bit.

If you don’t mind my asking, how many wizzies did you have with spell shield?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

For mage epic smoothing out undertow while overlooking quillmane is just lol. You straight up can’t engage with the quillmane part of the quest in the old fashioned way. On Aradune During the day it’s perma camped by a euro krono farmer using maps. Your only shot is in the unholy early hours when the zone is empty and you really need to know what you’re doing and not have anyone loving around killing trash in order to make the most of your tiny window.

Compared to that lowering the spawn time over undertow one hour is just a joke. Imo not even a bottleneck you can hit it with a stop watch or find him in a DZ and solo. But quillmane is a lot trickier because of its wacky spawn setup and because of lovely krono farmers.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

That happened to me too, ice storm got us bad. Still no electricity at home, but I managed to attend our emp kill and VT run from our motel room at least. The key rushing is the most toxic I’ve seen EQ get so I was both relieved to be done with it and excited to raid the content. There were some other players that got ice stormed that had to get creative with hotspots and finding a generator to log in.

Still have some guildies finishing keys guilting the early birds for some help so I still get pulled into shard farming groups occasionally and every time it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Kind of just want to trade skill and play the actual game now. There’s a pretty sweet tradeskillers quest in PoP that I never finished first time around, figure I’ll start in on that and skilling up research. That really sweet 10% research mod robe dropped on our VT run but the necros actually wanted it for its other effects so I couldn’t justify a For Funsies bid on it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Solarin posted:

I'd really like to do these quests once just to check them out, but trades are a little maddening for me. I was helping a guildmate out by supplying crystallized sulfur for their research and it sounded like leveling that was just straight burning huge sums of platinum.

I’m skilling up research right now and it’s brutal. I’m probably down 14k right now and that’s not counting what got me to level 50 spells. I want to research a 60 spell that doesn’t drop and I’m p close and now the limiting factor is pp. Up to a point I just bought vendor solvents for scrolls but now that they’re getting too pricey for skilling I’m cracking into a stash of crystallized sulfur that I had unwittingly saved since I made the character in the bank based on some deep memory of doing this 18 years ago. While some of the spells I research are selling the market is saturated so you can’t really recoup funds.

I’m really kicking myself for not bidding on either of the research mod items that dropped in raids the last week.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Some won’t unlock yet but that’s mostly the hyper relevant ones like remove greater curse. Some 60 spells don’t drop and are research only which is where I was at with the mage 60 pet heal.

I got up to 197 and got impatient. Used both of the mats I won on raids but I successfully made the spell and I think I’m done with that tradeskill til pop when PoI makes saltpeter easy.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I can see how it could be awful if you just tried to throw money at it for all of the skill ups but I didn’t have so terrible an experience with it. Mage is v well suited for the task and my skill ups and mat collecting was p organic. With AA’s you can push your int cap which really helps, I was at 275 int for my skill up runs which saved me some combines. When I ran out of pp I had an easy time holding down the hill giant hill. When I needed saltpeter farming it was tedious but easy enough (I don’t know who is paying 40pp a piece or 120pp per combine w/ five opportunities for a fail to set you back on a scroll mat but yeah def don’t do that).

In velious era as I was getting to lvl 50 spells easy enough just collecting hides as I exp’d and buying the scroll solutions which aren’t that cost prohibitive at lower levels. It had utility too because pet spells can be p crucial for having a good time as you level. I didn’t gently caress with research again until I wanted this lvl 60 spell. Buying it wasn’t really an option because no copies showed up until like literally 8 hours before I got the skill to just do it myself (I lost the race I guess). The mat for the precombine in baz would occasionally drop to 13k, w/ someone buying them and marking them up to 45k. I lucked out and won them on random rolls in raids.

When it was all said and done I spent less getting the skill up from 100 to 197 than it would have cost to buy the spell at bazaar low once it finally did show up, and now I’ve got my skill ready for PoP. So to me at least it was worth it and I’m glad I did it first in our guild. Y’all are right though, your guild won’t need more than one researcher and I’ve already had several guildies tell me they won’t bother with it since I got there first. Which, fine with me, makes it easier to solicit mats and I’m already collecting parchment for PoP spells.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Baconroll posted:

They utterly ignore obvious rule breaking like in Sirens

Not anymore. They cracked down this week. All of the picks were gone in SG guild had to run across for our ToV raid old fashioned. They also cracked down on 3+ boxers. Know some people that caught suspensions yet you still see ginix rolling his army around selling loot. Hit and miss for sure.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Givin posted:

I have never ever ran through the zone since Velious came out 500 years ago or whatever.

It’s honestly not that bad. I kind of shake my head at the guildies that get tripped up by it. I could make the swim when I had terrible gear and it’s only gotten easier.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I feel like at one point 18 years ago I knew that but yeah totally forgot. Neat trick.

A game buddy remarked to me wondering why they still play this trash and I don’t know either but this crappy dead still crawling mmo has been a lot of fun the past few months on Aradune.

Choosing research ended up working out v well. The two week XP bonus had people rolling lots of alts and boxes. So many people made shamans. The wizard market for Garrison’s kind of whimpered since they drop a lot and get researched but torpor held strong. Lots of people made shamans. I was able to keep making skill ups while gearing up the bazaar toon and then leveling it quick with the bonus. The Keying experience for VT was radically different late expac compared to launch week. Just a super leisurely jaunt around the moon. In about ten days or so made it to 60, finished keying up (even got a classic healing through the floor emp encounter) and tonight was able to juggle two roles successfully and walk away with a new helmet for the toon.

Excited for PoP.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

I’m not familiar with how bad it was before but we popped a storms dz with about 14 and cleared all the giant camps minus the bosses and got all but two people fully keyed.

This change was p great. Our guilds whole launch experience for pop was improved tremendously.

Launch has been a blast and way less stressful than luclin.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 1, 2021

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Solarin posted:

e: In Planes of Power news my guild cleared Rathe Council and Time tonight for the first time. More than half the fights were won on the absolute margins, like I thought we were complete wiping about five times during the night. Doing it without more gear is such an incredible shock following all the prior expansion raid content. Fun but dear god I want better geared tanks fast

Well done! Yeah the tank issue was pressing. After hearing about another guild struggling with Tallon Zek, and just having guildies experience difficulty w/ that mob on TLPs before, we knew if we didnt funnel some gear (p much just ele plate molds from our DZ's and some OW targets we were able to find up and just for like a day and a half) to our tank line we wouldn't get through, and it worked. If we hadnt it is hard to believe our tanks would have stood up w/ only 8-9khp.

The Bertox pet focus dropped on our first run, I was only #2 in line so a beastlord got it (happy for em and all that). I'm gonna get that next one tho. I missed every pair of VT pet gloves we got and that was my chase item I never got 20 years ago. So I want this ancient summoning piece.

It was so much fun to play the content on hard mode, I think back in the day my guild was only getting to ele planes not on the cutting edge in era and with plenty of time to get there. After the first few tiny flagging things it was all mains on the raid and a four day push through the content was a challenge and getting to the end w/ the same group I've been working on this with for the past several months (through ups and downs, burnouts and walkouts, turnover and wipeouts) was one of the most satisfying game experiences I've had.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Yiggy posted:

The Bertox pet focus dropped on our first run, I was only #2 in line so a beastlord got it (happy for em and all that). I'm gonna get that next one tho. I missed every pair of VT pet gloves we got and that was my chase item I never got 20 years ago. So I want this ancient summoning piece.

Week two and it dropped again. :getin: Got the box all flagged. Wrapped up my big gear goal. Lots of time to just relax, durdle around the planes, tour some old content. Guess it’s about time to finish the trade skills for aid grimmel.

Might try a necro Druid combo on mischief. Dunno. Curious to see how it is but honestly not that interested in retreading this content again right after doing it. The wackiness of the loot tables seems more frustrating than fun. Camps can be tedious but you sort of know what you’re getting. The nature of the trading on items feels like rather than camping you’re going to do more bazaar watching/tunnel sitting which gets old fast. I turned a nice platinum bazaar grinding spells in luclin but after awhile all the price checking and juking just wasnt enjoyable. I wonder if araduneauctions dude will kickstart the machine for the new tlp that does help things somewhat.

The TLP appeal for me was in playing and getting back to the point where we’re at and picking up where I left off (PoP) But leveling feels pretty easy now even from fresh so I might check out mischief just to see what it’s like.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

koreban posted:

M&M/BT had schisms and Adventure Dogs is the new multi-split top guild. M&M without Remloch is still rolling along. MESS is going strong. Midnight Rations, Kursed, Kith and Kin Spectral Shift are all seemingly doing well. Bloodthirst is there, but they haven’t even cleared the content yet.

Ad Victorem, Sovereign Eternity, Phoenix Ascended, and a bunch more have folded and been absorbed into other guilds.

I know it wasn’t en masse because we see mangler vict occasionally drop into voice chat for catchups and some are still trickling in but a chunk of ad vict’s player base moved on to Aradune. I had no experience on mangler but that mabbuu guild bank drama still comes up from time to time.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

koreban posted:

Well, that’s one way to spin it.

Ad Vict “won” the DoN race and had Vish down first, and 3 weeks later couldn’t field a raid force on a raid night.

I realize that Dee and Rhat went to Aradune, but that was them escaping the negative consequences and reputation they had garnered on Mangler and trying to start over with a core group, while leaving the majority of their players who were invested in their characters to rot.

What they did was a sliver’s difference from what Mabbu did. At least Mabbu left the guilds in tact when he ripped and ran.

Not really disputing any of that, I wasn’t there so I don’t know ya know? I gather that there was friction with other leadership and no interest with a large faction of the guild in playing with that personality. If there is a toxic dynamic in guild I don’t see why anyone is obligated to stay “just for the kids”/the raid force. Like, we still have walkouts on aradune. We lost a huge sliver of raid force to TEB including a split leader, and if they’re happier I can’t really criticize them ya know? That split leader wasn’t obligated to put in time for us.

But like I said. I didn’t play on mangler so I don’t really have any ground to dispute anything.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 18, 2021

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Oh if I had a nickel for every neck beard who just didn’t like the way D said something I could buy all my tailoring mats. There is a certain type of gamer that really acts weird when they hear lady voices so I guess that adds some perspective. You’ll see people go off on her for asks waaaay less abrasive then others on leadership team. Just an observation.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

CS will be tough because the Wyvern hides are usually camped. Not sure what era that starts in force but it’s almost immediate on a tlp because of shawl questers and a handful of people will be racing to market and prepping for solstice earrings, and after that point you start getting all of the aid grimmel questers and bazaar grinders taking a turn through the bottleneck.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 12, 2021

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Floob posted:

I don't know if folks are using Bards to their full potential...

Most usually aren’t. Many bards are destined to become boxes, raid bards etc. And the ones that do have an eye for playing a more robust bard are gonna try and get to their epic as fast as they can.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Floob posted:

I'm going to start doing the running around part of my Epic. I hadn't bothered because I remember how much of a bitch my Epic was when I did it on my Druid. But it does look like a good Epic to work on

Trakanon is gonna be the hardest part probably. Mischief is in velious now? Lot of guilds probably raiding that content on their offday or maybe one of their main nights still. It will be 3-4 groupable in luclin and by the end of pop the six boxers start farming it. Bard relevant epic all throughout, I guess songblade from time replaces it? We saw 4 of those in about 3.5 months.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Tower of Frozen Shadow ought to take you to velks, I remember lots of people being there during velious on Aradune.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Just as a comparison on Aradune at end of velious Kronos were ~11k rising to ~18k at start of pop.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Solarin posted:

Had our whole raid formed up ready to start some GoD trial when they tweet out the servers are going down in 2 loving minutes. We didn't have the instance yet so we couldn't proceed without risking the lockout. Of course it takes them an hour and a half to actually bring the servers down and we could have done most of our targets easily if they had given a real time frame in their announcement. Lovely waste of our time

Same. We almost said gently caress it and pulled the trigger whoo boy glad we didn’t. It still fucks our schedule for the week a bit.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Been doing a lot of tipt runs this past week and then prior on test we had some practice runs and those chanter pets are really hard to keep alive without complete heal and even with complete heal the mobs in there can drop a chanter pet in the time it takes to fire off a cheal if it catches you off guard or you start casting too late. And they out DPS and pull agro off our time-geared tanks and monks, easily.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Solarin posted:

Krono price on Aradune has been fucky also, but I haven't really watched that closely because it's already so far past the point where typical play might earn you a krono every so often. If I want to make krono it's GDKPs or wait for the next new server.

I can't be bothered with either

The gdkp time runs are getting a lot smoother now that it’s a lot of people taking their mains/2nd mains and the alts in attendance are fairly time geared/muramite suited at this point. Prices are dropping so splits are gonna start dropping too but for the moment at least attending one raid will yield about one krono. One of the quicker and more painless ways I’ve been able to earn a krono that didn’t involve flipping or selling something. I get not wanting to do more time runs after half a year of it tho, but it’s also a little bit of a change up to raid with characters on the server I don’t usually intersect with.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I think krono price goes up because of platinum inflation and that’s just server life cycle. Mischief is accelerated because there is more churn and more gdkp raids from the jump. I feel like those do a lot to consolidate plat. Outside of that platinum just pours into the server economies at all times. Some from normal avenues (if you’re grinding the vendor loot is a steady drop of platinum created in game, or tradeskilling if you farm your own mats), some from less normal avenues (box armies posting up in sirens grotto and accelerating what is the normal process of plat entering the economy). All it takes is one of those plat farmers to start spending at gdkp raids for that plat to disseminate to the sort of individuals who will buy a krono here and there and sock them away for later, which helps the krono price ratchet up. The plat sinks they build in the game are never enough to keep up with the sources.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I just don’t think a dupe is necessary to create that sort of super buyer. There are people right now that post up their group box crews on auto clicks in sirens grotto and that slow steady stream of vendor gem loot adds up when it accrues 24/7. DBG periodically sweeps them out but they come back. And that’s just one example. But sure, a dupe would be a tidy, neat answer.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Six days later Krono is up to 160k+ and rising fast on Mischief. Multiple buyers above 160k, a handful of sellers at 165k+. Should easily clear 200k per before PoP.

Fortunately I’m sure nothing will be valued at 10kr or more in PoP.

Time’s antithesis was going for two million plat last week of GoD on aradune I wouldn’t be surprised if those see loopy valuations, curious to see either way.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

WTF BEES posted:

So I follow this thread because I'll occasionally futz around on live and it's fun to read, but I need some clarity on something. How much $$ is a krono in real money? What with all the crazy boxing talk etc, has this game basically become by the whales, for the whales? Could somebody even feasably get up to speed in the end game without dropping hundreds of dollars?

From DBG krono is $18 each. From other players usually the going rate (so I am told) is ~$10 each.

IMO yes you could easily get up to speed without dropping hundreds of dollars but it’s going to involve some mix of straight up grinding, grouping & guilding with other people and plat raids. We had a cleric disappear at end of luclin come back for OOW and we caught him up in about a week with small group stuff. He’s not our best geared cleric but he can survive on raids now. The content from previous eras becomes substantially easier.

You probably wouldn’t be able to get to the end game alone without dumping money but that’s soooort of fitting because you don’t really play the end game alone.

Once your character is established it becomes easier to deal with the economy. You can (and the longer you stay on a server probably should) build up a krono stash by occasionally buying a krono with your plat and selling items for krono from time to time. It’s good to have a few krono just because when you’re paying attention you can flip them and even if you’re only flipping tiny margins that’s an additional small source of plat income. There is crazy plat inflation over time, you want to convert the plat to krono periodically.

At first I side eyed krono p heavily when I returned to the game. You start to realize though that you can play in the krono economy without throwing USD at it but it does take in game time and effort to acquire and time is money and all that. I personally don’t exchange money for it but I get why some people might.

It adds another aspect to the game though and strangely can be kind of fun? Krono I earned and stashed away in luclin appreciate in value and made it easier to purchase big items in GoD. It just involves some patience.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

PoP today on mischief. How’s it going over there? I guess it’s only been up now like 90 minutes. But share the hoary details and wacky bristlebane RNG fun.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

So far on Aradune I’ve really enjoyed oow as a caster main. I do see the trend of declining casters but it really started just after pop launch. I don’t feel like our guild has had a steady wizard main since then and we have maybe one wizard box and a lapsed account or two on our roster. In addition a single necro. A handful of mages and encs. Boxing probably helps in providing more to do on a raid and bolstering what is possible when on one’s own, I might have more frustration & ennui if I were only playing the caster.

For those that stuck around though and in the foreseeable future it’s pretty good in regards to being supported with necessary spells and gear is p cheap and abundant. I don’t come near the top of the parse when on a raid with geared mains but sometimes I hit #9 or 10 and I’m ok w/ those table scraps from the monks and zerkers. :unsmith: At least playing a mage I always felt like the raid gearing I was doing was more for furthering group and solo play as much as anything else and that aspect of the game has still been a lot of fun.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

On mischief PoK will be open, you’ll probably be ok w/ just air or water pets all the way up and you can get the spells from the library. In classic you would usually have only one pet available on vendor per tier. The nuances of the pets aren’t super relevant until you’re at a higher level and even then you won’t end up switching around too much. Particularly once they backstab at lvl 54 the water pet is almost always highest DPS but doesn’t take hits great. Earth takes hits great but is poor at holding agro. Air is sort of in between. Has DPS closer to water but doesn’t have any special attacks. It’s air spell stuns but does substantially less than the water pet dd attack. The stun is helpful for agro control tho and air takes hits a little better than water.

Soloing will start to become more difficult in your 50s and gear will start to matter and have a large effect on your downtime. Early on mages tend to try to kill things before it kills their pet and just let pet heal up before next mob. As the mobs get more hp and hit harder you’ll hit a phase where mobs will kill your pet if you’re not healing some. You’ll hit another phase where the pet heal doesn’t keep up absent a healing and spell haste focus and you’ll have to add in pet rune and caution or bring a box healer. Grouping smooths that out but soloing becomes less effective unless you have a pocket healer or some healing focus items to make your pet heal a little more substantial. It’s a good class for grouping when you want to and still having plenty to do solo when you don’t want to group.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I imagine you’re starting to see some of the krono starting to leave mischief, people are cashing out and getting ready for the next TLP. Maybe even migrating to other servers, at least on aradune krono price dropped a bit we’re below 100k again.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Why would people leave for the next tlp? Don't they all start in the base game?

Can think of a few different types of players who will be eager to try the next tlp:
*Serial grinders and speed runners.
*Heavily vested players who will likely still play mischief to some extent but want to liquidate and be ready to play the new server while there is a lot of krono churn.
*players who started tlping/returned to eq w/mischief but don’t like the rule set and don’t want to join an older server.
*players who get burnt out on the late pop => Ldon => gates of discord slog. Looks like OOW launches on mischief right when the new tlp is slated to launch so that’ll be a decisive moment for some players I’d expect. I know GoD turned off some of our raiders and they jumped ship to mischief to retread luclin > pop, this pattern plays itself out a lot I suspect.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

If the server ruleset is wacky I'll have an easier time staying on Aradune. Even without the surge of population I've had plenty to do.

There is a nice cycle to the expansions where my play group will have plenty to tackle and work on during launch and as the expansion ages we small group old content for alts and boxes. We mix things up by level locking different groups of alts at lower levels for grouping older zones or places that were off meta. That way when we have an itch to play different content we have some motivation for picking targets and something to do with the loot, because raiding just to rot loot is no fun.

For one round of alts we took about a month to gear up level 1 characters with no lvl req raid loot. Mostly from luclin, but some NToV. It was a blast to have a sort of alternate late-night raid schedule of small grouping old raid targets and speed gearing a twink group. Since it was old content we were usually able to hit a mix of OW targets and the DZs. My finished lvl 1 ranger was decked out with two halls of testing quest pieces, a handful of ssra pieces, some khati sha items and a sack full of various bows.

Now that we finished phase 1 gearing, phase 2 is touring old zones that we didn't experience much just because of how the herd moves on TLPs. Was fun revisiting blackburrow, having the gnoll run off, agroing and bringing back the whole burrow and then slowly vanquishing the gnoll army.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 24, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Oh, so like an instance?

Sorry, I am new to EQ. A friend got me into it.

Yes. For background original EQ did not have instanced zones/raids. They appear at some point in eq’s development and then added to older content as a quality of life improvement, first on TLPs and eventually on live.

I feel like old DZs vs later DZs have different xp rules, spefically the AOC DZs vs the later ones. The instances in Gates of Discord and onward seem to have decent xp. LDoNs though not AOC seem bad on xp front. Other AOC DZs always felt suboptimal though basically fine given that you don’t have to deal with other players.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Solarin posted:

I see a fair amount of people just rocking LFG tags in the guild lobby on Aradune deep into DoN. The fact that solo LFG players still exist this far into a server's decline is baffling to me. The reality is basically 3+ box or gfys. I wish mercs were available earlier to help these people out

Our guild still has a handful that are still pugging it out, mostly because they are apprehensive about the idea of boxing. I don’t know how they do it either mostly because getting older I get pulled away from comp too often to want to disappoint a group of people. Wanting to engage for 30-60 minutes straight with no random afks? My kids have burned me too many times to wanna group like that.

There is lots of boxing but I feel like that just shifts everything a level. Grouping content is now box content. Old small raid and old raid targets are now group content when you team up with your buddies’ box crews. Medium /semi-old/split raids are now your small raid targets and big main only raids happen maybe on expac launch because of flagging bottlenecks and then quickly progresses into splits.

In my opinion it helps having a roster of characters to work on. Makes it easier to keep engaged once new content gets stale. The people I see on solo characters are caught up in a week or two after launches and then disappear.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Looks like it's time to quit again. Having to flag for po fire to even get a group can gently caress off

Had a hell of a time on Mischief up until now though!

The herd gets flagged pretty quick and a lot of times if you’re watching the fennin kills and reaching out and if you’re waiting near AOC, guilds will be kind and invite you in to hail the guy for the quick fire flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Just saw GoD opened up on mischief today. The XP grinding probably moved up to splitpaw instead of fire. Ends will be charming in vxed now.