Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Quick question!

Will paper clay stick to the masking tape I've got assisting my paper mache armature, or should I put a layer or three of paper mache overtop the masking tap?

Edit: I've read elsewhere that it'll work okay, but I want to get expert advice before moving forward.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

I'm going for the Abyss Greatsword, so the flat of the blade will be black and blue, and the blade's edges and highlights on the pommel will be silver, but then I'm going to hit everything with an ink or paint wash to darken all the recessed areas. When it's done it's going to look awesome and corrupted, hopefully. I'm also going to add ugly splotches of black, blue and a little purple acrylic paint, dried in clumps, along sections of the blade when all else is finished, sort of like black and blue-ish rust or corrosion.

Let's be friends.

To those of you who said paper clay was difficult -- yeah, it was kinda messy. Here's my mask in progress:

It's now in the waiting-to-be-sanded phase, fully dried. More pictures later after I put some work into it.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 26, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm so very, very excited to see the rest of your work. I hope my costume can come together just as successfully.

I may have to consult with you on my tracers! I have a couple of reps, but I don't think my friend put them together as well as he could have, so I'm going to look into rebuilding them using either different materials or different designs. He did an okay job -- they're just not ideal.

Also that is one hell of a mom cushion.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My excitement intensifies!

Sadly, I have not had similar time to put toward Ciaran, although I did order supplies for armor-making. Haven't even finished sanding down my mask yet. :(

Soon.

That Stocking looks great!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bitchkrieg posted:

Norse mythology and legends are a passion for me, and I don't know much - if anything - about Thor (the Marvel character, not the god). My objective is to avoid (well, as much as possible) the assertion that I'm a genderbent Thor. The traditional iterations of the costuming would entail a red cape, brass/bronze metallurgy, etc. (inspiration from Romantic artwork). I'm considering a colorshift and using a gunmetal chainmaille and dark red/black leather, and a deep red cape, but haven't made any definite decisions yet.

A few things you can avoid to skip the Thor comparisons --

Chest discs, hat wings which stick out, and blond hair.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Miss Kalle posted:

So I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this, since it's relevant to the topic at hand.

I'm going to be cosplaying Ryuko from Kill la Kill at Otakon, and I need a way to transport the scissor blade. I'm going to be flying in from (most likely) Albany to Baltimore, but all the bags I own are too small for the one I'm planning on getting -- the blade is going to be 41 inches long and 8 inches at its widest point. Plus I don't really trust shipping it down to the hotel since I'm afraid it might get lost in transit.

Since I'm flying Southwest and they let you check in the first two bags for free, I was thinking of something along the lines of packing it in a separate tote akin to a ski bag (with proper identification for TSA purposes and such), but the vast majority of ski bags run afoul of the '62 inches and under' rule, and I don't want to wind up with any extra charges :(

Any suggestions?

There's also something like this, though it's a bit of an investment for traveling with one item:

http://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-Safeshot-Oversized-Double-Case/dp/B0007AB38Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1394731026&sr=1-7

Dimensions are 16.5 x 53.4 x 4.5 inches.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What's the thickness on the foam you're using?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Wow, good luck!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's looking SO good!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:neckbeard:

I keep saying it, but you really look great so far!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

Hell yeah! That's lookin' much better, can't wait to see more progress.

Speaking of progress - though most of the progress is a bit hard to see

I've spent probably over 20 hours this past week winding, cutting, and bending iron wire to make chain-mail, and I've still got a lot more to make - I want it to be just long enough to peek out from under the waist/thigh guard things, extending almost to the knees. I'll be making the finished edges look much more ragged and uneven, rather than the straight lines you see now. A conservative guess is at least another 10 hours of work. Wheeeeee. Also, drat that poo poo is heavy. I might need to rig a new belt-thingy that can handle the weight.

I've also made the shin guards , but of course they're obscured by the waist cloth - they aren't entirely finished yet anyway, I still have to extend them a bit and attach them to the knee, which I've yet to make.

I haven't even begun to really touch the fabric yet - The cloth over the waist/legs won't be as long as it is now, showing off more of the legs. My basic plan for how to handle the fabric is to cut it into roughly the right ragged shape with scissors, and then to weather the gently caress out of the edges by fraying it with sandpaper. Next will be to fade out sections with a spray-bottle and a 1-1 water/bleach solution. I want the fabric to look very weathered, frayed, and old. One problem I've noticed with alot of artorias costumes (not that there are many) is that they haven't done much with the cloth - it looks brand new. I want mine to look drat near ancient.
Once the fraying/bleaching is done, I'll stain the lower edges with a water/ink solution, possibly from a spray bottle, or maybe just spashed around a bit. Probably both! The lower sections of the cloth around the legs will be much darker than the cloak, almost black entirely.

Fantastic.

I'm sorry to continue fangirling out on you. It's probably to the creepy point. Your costume is looking great!

My move is done, so I hope to put more of my free time toward my own costume.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'd love to know where you found a clean reference for the cape pattern. Did you recreate it from concept art?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Considering how hosed his cloak and chainmail looks, seeing some additional distress on the silver armor would make sense.

Still looking great!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Re: hair for the helmet --

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xblack+horse+tai&_nkw=black+horse+tail&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Have you considered anything like actual horse tail extensions?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This is...waaay late to be sharing, considering the point you're at, but there are some really, really high-res images of Artorias on Dead End Thrills. Since not everybody knows about the blog, here's a direct link to the Dark Souls gallery, in case anything proves helpful to you:

http://deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=100

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Good lord, McKilligan.

I am in awe.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Repo Man posted:

Even without weathering, that's still the best Artorias I've seen.

By far.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

hhhat posted:

Thanks! After about a pound of celluclay I was able to get the bony ridges built up to make it look more like a skull and cover over the spots that the paper just didn't quite do right... but the celluclay seemed to get rougher as it got drier overnight. I'm sure that's on me, maybe I needed to put it on wetter or something. Learning experience. Here's hoping the sand-ability of the stuff isn't oversold, It's going to take me some time to wear it back down to a smooth surface. Won't be able to find out until maybe next weekend, anywho.

It's sandable, but it can take an eternity to get where you might want it. Fortunately, it doesn't look like you're going for totally smooth.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McPantserton posted:

I'll often do the celluclay for a big area and cover it with a very thin skin of apoxiesclupt, which sands smooth way easier but is hideously expensive.

Ooh, I might try that since I'm having a bitch of a time getting my mask as smooth as I'd like it to be.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Awesome, thank you! I've ordered the 1/4 pound to give it a shot, I'll let you know my results.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The make-up's looking great so far! Love it! Love the whole costume.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

SusiePhone posted:

Yeah, I agree, the contacts are like pissholes in the snow! These ones are just stand-ins until I get the custom ones made. Not sure about eyeliner, I'm trying to avoid looking too feminine, what with the long hair and all.

You could try white eyeliner or a brown that's similar to the darker shading used by your make-up color scheme. It might look less feminine.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I don't think it looks excessive. You'd probably want a little exaggeration to make sure the effect stands out in photos, anyway.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've done about all I can with the paperclay, I think.

Here are a few dubious WIPs, since it's been ages since I posted the initial sculpt:

(Slightly cockeyed angle, apologies.)

:downs: angle!

You can get a good idea of paperclay's basic capabilities here. Ah, two separate colors, because I used two different brands. One dries white, the other didn't. This whole thing basically will look like poo poo now until it's done.

Texture close-up.

Another one. I see a rough spot I need to sand down. <:mad:>

Reference shot.

I need to do some rescuplting or carving to make the eye grooves more pronounced. I could also stand to carve out the outer eyes a little more and make their tapering more...feline-ish? I'd make the lips less pronounced, too, but at this point I like 'em, so whatever. My mask is also more rounded versus the game's flatter appearance, but I'm willing to depart from in-game modeling to get a look that's more to my tastes.

"Where's the big eye thing?!" That's gonna be attached to the helmet, probably. Seems easier to deal with.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

Yeeesssss, We'll have to pull some strings and organize a photo shoot at some point! (Probably the far distant future, sadly)

Let's see if I can get the rest of the costume together, first! I have never ever made armor anything before, and while I kind of have an idea of how I want to do it, actually executing is...daunting. The mask has taken me long enough -- I've had it in my hands for four months now or maybe longer (though I lost two and a half of those to a long move to my new digs).

But if I can pull it together, I would love to take pictures with you. :3:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 3, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So I am doing the hunt stuff down and buy it all so I can make stuff phase for Lapras. You would be really surprised by how hard it is to find basic teardrop shaped ornaments in the summer... :/

Try a flea market! It's also yard sale season, and you can always find holiday stuff at yard sales.

That's perfect.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So I have begun the Lapras project.

I'm really excited about this one! :neckbeard:

So, hey, speaking of fabrics, can I get some input?

My first question relates to color. I can't really decide on what color fabric to use for Ciaran's robes. In some lighting her outfit looks closer to navy blue, and in others it looks a little more teal-ish. Would I be passable in navy? Or should I get something greenish and try a blue dye?

References: http://imgur.com/a/F2ClM

My second question is about fabric type. I feel like a linen or linen-look fabric would be appropriate, and I like how it looks, but does anyone here have other ideas?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Linen or linen-look definitely. It also looks highly variable in colour. Get a lighter teal and dye the hell out of it with a sponge or random tie-dye bath. A bit more work, but very worth it.

Thank you! I may have to do some experimenting...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Apoxie Sculpt is very similar to the green putty stuff I've used to work with miniatures. It's a lot more malleable, but it was easy to work with, and the small amount of test sanding I've done has yielded fair results. Tomorrow I'll finish sanding, then prime it, and be done with this part of the costume. Thank you SO MUCH for that recommendation!

Apoxie Sculpt layer applied:

I can't decide between either leaving the eyes open, or covering the interior with a black screen or mesh or whatever. The idea would then be to paint yellowish pupils on the mesh.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you!

Yeah, my other concern is too much loss of vision, and I don't think mesh would help me there. I am not looking forward to having my peripheral vision taken away as it is.

Only thing buggin' me right now is that I think I gave the mask too much jaw. I'm at the point where I'm too afraid to cut anything down, though, and I likely wouldn't be able to without loving up something else. Fortunately, I have a plan for this that involves the ridiculous helm thing, so I think in the end it's going to look just fine!

What do you guys line your masks with? Paper mache is not very comfy.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

hhhat posted:

I don't know fabric at all so my strategy there is going to be to go to a crafts store and rub up against things until an associate asks if I need help.

:allears: This is adorable.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Whoa. That's genius.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's coming along nicely!

Hokay, so -- some stuff is bugging me about the mask, but for a beginner's attempt, I think it came out pretty swell!

What bugs me the most? THIS. The mask...well, I didn't really catch this any sooner, but it sits far enough forward on my face that you can see through one eye slit and out the other. I think I would have liked it to be closer to my face... :smith: So I'm not too thrilled to catch this camera angle.

It's also too wide, which I was afraid it would be. I can work around this, but it's still a disappointing flaw.

It looks okay at some angles --

my hair is a mess

-- and I love the Apoxie Sculpt smoothness. (This is painted in glossy primer, by the way.)

That said, I'm debating a do-over. :( Maybe trying to apply some lessons learned, I don't know. Am I worrying too much?

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 8, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I can almost guarantee that if I come by some free time tomorrow I'm going to start working on Mask 2.0, but maybe taking a night off will give me a different perspective. v:shobon:v

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McPantserton posted:

On that topic, do you have plans for that model if you end up redoing it? Because my husbo has definitely developed a sudden interest in doing a Court of Owls cosplay from Batman that is not unrelated to this mask...

Well! That's very flattering.

I definitely see the resemblance. The mask wouldn't need many tweaks to fit into that theme. We'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow -- if I do decide to redo things, I'll probably only keep this mask around as a reference for so long as it takes me to get 2.0 going. If your hubby wants it, I'm sure we can talk. :D

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

One thing I might recommend is that you consider that most of the forehead will be covered by the pleated portion of the helmet, and take that into consideration when you build those areas - you might wind up wanting to omit them entirely for weight/comfort's sake. What material are you planning to use for the pleated section? Also, don't forget the weird sideways forehead eyehole thingy!

Oh, I haven't forgotten! That's going to be mounted in the helm itself -- as for constructing the helm, I have a loose plan, but I think it's going to take some experimentation, and I'm not sure I can describe my ideas adequately right now. I keep changing my mind on what materials I want to use. Cardboard and paper mache? Wonderflex? I just need a stiff core that I can wrap the fabric around, sorta. I don't want it to be super heavy, though.

You're right that leaving the forehead out might save me some weight and bulk. Hrm.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback and support, guys. :)

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 8, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love this. It's gorgeous work.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Well, we're back to this point --

(Norris was concerned.)

Going to apply another layer of paper mache before beginning the paper clay part, now that I've done a lot of STUFF with masking tape.

Chose a sliiightly different style this time after the recommendation to trim some forehead down kinda stuck with me.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 12, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Neraren posted:

Work continues on my Sanageyama costume, but I'm currently looking for someone who might help me with the Japanese lettering. I know changing the angle of a single line can completely change a word, but I can't find a consistent image for the letters on my character's back.

Sometimes it's this: http://i.imgur.com/V39hwVU.png
But sometimes it's this: http://i.imgur.com/6Q775UU.png

Minor differences, but I'm sure one misplaced line could change it from badass detail to unreadable nonsense. Can anyone here help me pin down exactly what characters I need?

I would ask here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438030

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

On a scale of 1 to 10, how required are Altoids for a successful project?