Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!
Awesome, I've been hoping for a thread like this for a while now. I have a couple of things I'm working on for fanime and SDCC, but right now I'm a bit stumped on how exactly to make part of my costume.

I'm making the red cloaked figure from Journey:

Cloak is pretty much done except the details on the hem, but I'm not quite sure on how to make the mask. I thought about using one of those cheap white masks you see at Michael's and covering it in fabric, but the face on the character is featureless. I also want to make the eyes light up but I need to read up on how to rig LED's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'd like to see some in-progress pictures or something. Though you'd have to be, like, sliding down a big sand mountain or something and that might be kind of hard!

I'll take some sometime this weekend, sans the sliding down sand mountains. I'm mainly working on trying to get the designs into something I can make into a stencil and paint on the designs to the cloak. I'm also debating on whether I want to use any glow in the dark paint for the designs since their cloaks do light up/glow when they do certain things. Shoes are also a bit of a concern for me in this costume since they don't have feet. I also do plan on trying to find some sand dunes or something similar when I'm completely done with this costume to take some pictures on.

MrGreenShirt posted:

How are you going to deal with the fact that the character has no arms or even shoulders?

I haven't played the game or anything, I'm just going off what I've seen in screenshots.

Thankfully I'm rather small in the shoulders so I made the cloak a tad bit bigger to give that illusion. That and the hood should cover and come down a bit past my shoulders. As for using my arms when I need to for doors and such, the front is open, it closes with velcro so if I want it to flow open like it tends to do in parts of the games I can adjust the velcro. I also thought about putting hidden armslits in the side seams so if I did want to stick my arms out and not through the front, I could. But basically, I just figured keep my arms close to my body when I'm wandering in this costume, then secretly slide my arms out when I need them.

Also I too am stoked to see the Yoshimitsu and Hilde costumes. I love the work McPantserton has done on the banner and can't wait to see more.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!
THIZZFACE KILLA- Your Taokaka costume is awesome! Thanks for the ideas, I have been trying to figure out whether I wanted to have the eyes light up or not, but since I only need small pieces, the EL wire might be the way to go.

Grape Juice Vampire- Thanks for the suggestion! Found one on ebay for about $30.

Red Robin Hood- I know it took forever to get progress pictures and honestly they're not really interesting, but here they are. I haven't added the details to the cloak, I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to stencil on the darker triangles or if I want to find a darker red fabric and sew them on. I'm working on how to put the stencil on for the gold details. The hood part is giving me trouble right now as I can't seem to get the double points in the hood like I want so its back to making my own pattern for it.

MajorGravy- How did you make the helmet for your costume? It looks really nice

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

McPantserton posted:

This is the sort of situation where I've thought about offering print commissions, it'd be perfect for this kind of thing! Are you doing a freezer paper stencil technique? Here's a tutorial: http://www.stayathomeartist.com/2011/07/stencil-with-freezer-paper-harry-potter.html I always had good luck with that sort of stenciling.

Totally diggin' your 40k book photoshoot. I never did try the freezer paper method of stenciling, I've always just printed on cardstock and cut it out and used spray adhesive. I think its cause I never remember to find freezer paper at the grocery store cause I get sidetracked with other things. Also funny you mention commissions, I was actually going to PM you about them to see if you did offer them :)

Right now I'm on the fence of whether to do a giant stencil or a giant applique. I'm leaning more towards stencil since I want to try stenciling with adhesive backed acetate since it would save me the hassle of printing out and piecing this whole thing together(plus it gives me something to post in the slow-moving stencil thread)but at the same time, I really want it to look nice and appliqueing would really make it stand out. Thing is, with the paint, I can mix in glow in the dark paint so I can get it to glow somewhat similar to the game. Applique means I got to find some really nice yellow gold fabric and enough of it to go around the cloak which I may or may not have in my fabric stash.

On the plus side, I think I solved my hood problem since all the mockups I made looked a bit too pointy in the top part.

Also HardDisk, definitely check into the simplicity pattern as its a pretty simple jacket to put together as well as its fairly easy to modify it for what you're trying to make.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Ughhh, this whole project might have been an amazingly stupid idea that I shouldn't be doing. Still trying to find a way to paint on Under Armour without destroying it's flexibility and shape-conformity. My body-dummy isn't exactly me-shaped, due to my helper being utterly perplexed by the entire concept, or something.

I've been doing a lot of googling to try to solve this, and so far Jones Tones is the most suggested option, but only comes in, like 5 colors and in really tiny bottles.

So I'm starting to think if I can create a hex/grid/brick pattern of unpainted space, that should maintain the stretch enough to use more common fabric paint. Which would require some kind of really consistent and thin stencil that I could put over the whole costume.

Why. Am. I. Doing. This?

They have more than a handful of colors in Jones Tones and in larger quantities: http://www.jonestones.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_5

As for using it for a spiderman costume, it works well. I made my buddy his Miles Morales suit last halloween with this stuff.

A few notes about it is that it still has a tacky feel to it even when its dry. If you plan on doing a whole suit, make sure you have a stencil or some sort of guideline so all your webbing matches up from the front to the back. Another way around the shoe thing was attaching some cheap slip-on shoes after cutting open the bottom of the feet and gluing the shoes in. Granted this worked for this variation of the suit as it doesn't have the distinct separation look as the original suit has, but depending on how you build the suit, you could always make the boots this way as they're supposed to be skin tight, just with spandex attached to some cheap slip-on shoes. This is also how I made my Rogue boots as well since I couldn't see myself spending $50+ on inaccurate shoes that I'm still going to have to mod and break in.

As for the lenses, I'll ask a friend of mine who does a bunch of Spiderman costumes what he uses as I was just over there a few days ago and remember seeing the materials for lenses just out and about.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Rufus En Fuego posted:

What's everyone got planned this year?

I'm planning this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmG509hTs3A since it would be kinda fun to creep people out at some upcoming cons.

Thinking of doing a sort of headless horsemen style costume with this instead of wearing some sort of zentai hood to obscure my face. I've got a couple of other things planned, but keeping them kinda simple as this year I decided to organize a group of friends going to(or rather trying to go to)SDCC this year as their first con and they're interested in dressing up so that means I'll be manning the sewing machine while I can get them do to everything else that doesn't require a sewing machine for their costumes.

Oh and I don't know if this is allowed, but I realize I have a small storage unit that's mainly fabric/patterns I've collected over the last 10 years due to this hobby so if you guys are looking for materials/patterns, let me know and we can possibly work something out(either pm or email akirachan2684@gmail.com) . I hesitate doing an SA-Mart thread cause most people who shop there aren't really looking for a bunch of fabric/patterns/crafting stuff, but figured you guys here would get better usage of the stuff.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

fallin1 posted:

Wip on my corvo mask.

One side has a layer of claycrete the other doesn't yet.

I need to get some burlap type material for the backing and then form that to my face then comes the fun part of applying all the metal bits and pieces.

Looks cool! Just a heads up though, you may want to look into other materials other than burlap since it can be extremely uncomfortable up against skin. If you need that similar texture/look of burlap, try looking for monk's cloth.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

TheHan posted:

So for Halloween this year I was hoping to make a Black Suit Spider-Man costume. I figured it'd be pretty simple, just get a morph suit (get in shape) and do the design on it myself. Problem is I can't find any sort of guide online on how to go about adding designs to a morph suit. So is there are there any good resources someone knows of that walks through the process, or is this one of those things I'd have to special order?

Which black suit version are you trying to do? About 2 years ago I made a friend of mine the Miles Morales version of the suit and what I ended up using was a paint specifically used for stretch fabrics called Jones Tones. It turned out like this:

Note that the paint still retains a bit of tackiness to it even after I had it dry for 24 hours. The only other issue is finding the designs and then later either free-handing them or creating a stencil to paint them on.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

cloudy posted:

Hey! So I posted this in the Halloween thread and got no responses, but this is probably a better thread for the question.

Does anyone know if it's ok to paint latex costume prosthetics with Kryolan aquacolor? I've read that certain greases will destroy the latex over time. But I figure if I'm using the same paint on the prosthetic as on my face the color match will be a lot better. And easier.

Any water based makeup will work with your latex prosthetic. Just make sure that when you are done with the pieces, that you wash the makeup off of them and store them properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Bean posted:

Have any of you ever sharpie dyed a wig? I'm making Ibuki's wig from Dangan Ronpa (oh no I am one of those nerds I am literally the worst human being) and I was doing her funky colored bangs by hand coloring everything in with sharpie.

I colored in the pink and I'm rinsing it now and holy hell is it a slow process. The excess ink doesn't seem to want to come off unless I rub it for all it's worth anyway, but I'm afraid of the color transferring to my forehead when I wear the wig. Advice? Can I speed this up with wig shampoo, or is that a dumb idea?

Have a picture. This was before I started rinsing. (The hair in the middle is going to be blue, I'm not giving the wig a horn.)

I have done both sharpie wig dyeing as well as FW ink dyeing and FW ink dyeing is so much easier and faster and cheaper, especially since its a bit easier to control the colors you want vs trying to find the right sharpie and enough of them to get the concentrate you want. http://arda-wigs.com/blogs/tutorials/6270626-how-to-dye-wigs-with-fw-ink

I've done segmented dyes with the fw ink(although any acrylic ink should work as I've also used higgins)and all I did was saran wrap the segments of the wig that I didn't want dyed green, dyed the majority of it green, let it dry, do a cold water rinse making sure none of it got inside the saran wrapped section, let that dry, put the green parts in a showercap/plastic wrap, then unwrap the segment I wanted pink and dyed it pink and repeated the process that I did for the green part of the wig. The great part is that once its dried and you go to rinse it or wash it after the initial separate rinses, the colors don't run or bleed into each other. This wig was white when I started.

Alternatively, if you just need streaks of color in the wig, why not just get those clip-on streaks and modify them/trim them down and clip them in or sew them into the wig?