Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Highblood posted:

I think I could enjoy a show like this if it were done properly but in this case it really makes no sense, it shouldn't even be called Invisible Man.

It's actually much closer to what I expected the show was going to be when I first heard about it, showing and experiencing the hardship of korean workers with non-prestigious, but important jobs who are socially "invisible men" and making their day a bit brighter.
Was quite the letdown when the first episode rolled around and they just played clowns in an office. But apparently they couldn't have made something more entertaining with the other concept either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I can easily envision a K-pop band appearing on a late night talk show.

SNSD appeared on Lettermann in 2012. Sadly with "The Boys" instead of a good song.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

Jack Black was on Infinite Challenge? Is this the first time in recent history where a foreign celebrity was on a Korean variety show?

Depends on your definitions of "foreign", "celebrity" and "recent history". And probably "variety show".

Jackie Chan was a full guest on Running Man and Happy Together in 2013. If you mean 'western' celebrity, nothing of the scale of Jack Black comes to mind, but Hugh Jackman was on Star King, Patrice Evra was in part of an episode of Running Man (both 2013) and Chloë Grace Moretz visited We Got Married last year.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Manic X posted:

I'm midway through Season 4 of The Genius, and it's been a great opener to my Korean TV experience. Are there any other shows like it that can be recommended, or if not, what show would you highly recommend I jump to next.

I would have recommended to watch seasons 1 to 3 first. I don't know of any other shows quite like it, but Crime Scene is more on the brainy than actiony side. Now here I'd personally recommend season 2, but that's just because I can't stand Henry and haven't watched more than the first episode of seaons 1...

Not variety and haven't watched it, but there's also a korean drama version of Liar Game, based on the manga that apparently inspired The Genius.

As for other shows, if you want action with your laughs, go with Running Man (The recommendation. Underlying concept is/was a game of tag/hide & seek with missions - watch from the beginning to experience the growing bonds and get inside jokes later on. Pretty good from the start, pretty consistently got better until it's golden era around ep. 100 - more recently it's become quite a mixed bag).
If you want to see more of Korea and silly games, try 2 Days & 1 Night (6 dudes travel the country and have to earn their food and beds with games - you can give the current season 3 a try, it's a pretty fresh start with 4 new members out of 6 and is officially available on Youtube).
If you want to see more of rural Korea, some light farming and silly games, go with the classic Family Outing (Bunch of celebrities house-sitting old school small farmhouses while the elders go on vacation for 2 days. Season 1, and only season 1...).
If you want to watch the farming and silly games, but mainly with female k-pop idols instead, watch Invincible Youth (One fixed farm, Idols don work clothing and grow and sell stuff - sounds dumb, but season 1 is still pretty much my favorite korean show - season 2 falls flat a few episodes in). You'll find a more diverse selection of female celebrities on Heroes (Basically an ongoing popularity contest - popular vs unpopular team do missions in different locations and get revaluated)
For farming (and cooking) without silly games but with a silly idol, a grumpy actor, a goat, a puppy and guests, Three Meals a Day is a very chill choise.
Not something I watch a lot of or would/could personally recommend as a whole (and would be hard to find subs for anyway), but Infinity Challenge is the longest running korean variety show out there and, due to not really having any sort of fixed theme, has a huge range of concepts (and quality...), so you might find something you like in there, but I'm not the one to give you specific recommendations.
Lastly, if you want to see a pretty cool dude and his entourage of varying other korean celebrities more or less struggle to survive and do missions in more or less beautifull and more or less remote places all over the world, try Law of the Jungle (preferably after they got called out for presenting regular tourist packages as dangerous/real survial experiences, around ep. 75 I think... I've only watched some random trips [multiple episodes each] from ~ep. 100 up)

Next step after watching some of those will likely be specific stuff with/about people/groups you want to see more of.

westborn fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 19, 2016

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pretty sure the ones I got from the SNSD site were HD but it's down at the moment.

IY season 1 wasn't filmed in HD (or at least not edited to be broadcast in HD), that's why even the official videos on Youtube don't look that great. They also hosed up the aspect ratio.

westborn fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 19, 2016

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Secx posted:

I think they mentioned him on the 10 year anniversary episode of 1N2D that recently aired as well, right before his accident.

Not only that, due to the ongoing strikes at MBC the latest episode was just a rerun of the "best trip" voted by the viewers, the one where they help out old ladies in a village, with Joo Hyuk still as a member - and it was only the first part of that trip.

RIP Joo Hyuk
"Remember this Member"

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

futurememory posted:

What are the must-watch k-variety shows based around idols?

The must-watch would be Invincible Youth, Season 1.

Are there any specific idols you want to see? There's very little "mixed cast" stuff that has mainly idols, but a lot of group specific shows. Most groups have their own "realities" or streaming "varieties".
"One fine day" sends groups on holidays, "Heroes" has a few fixed idols and was pretty good, "After School Club" is another (rather cringy) music talk-show, "Master Key" has a lot of idols but isn't very good.
You could also watch the last few years of the annual "Idol Star Athletics Championships" or look for "Let's go Dream Team", "Happy Together" or "Law of the Jungle" episodes with idols you like.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Koramei posted:

Has there been any more word on that kdrama Netflix is supposed to be producing, incidentally?
I haven't heard of them producing a kdrama, but their variety show seems to be coming together well, with the cast potentially including Yoo JaeSuk, Lee KwangSoo, Kim JongMin and Sejeong.

futurememory posted:

Thanks for the recs! I’ll pretty much watch whoever is popular - been binging mostly on Twice and BTS stuff, but the Knowing Bros. episode with Super Junior that just aired was pretty hilarious.

If you haven't watched them yet, I'd recommend Twice TV 5 & 6 (both available with subs on their vlive channel) and their episodes on Carefree Travelers for Twice. I find most of them usually rather lacking as guests on variety, but that travel focused stuff as a group definitely has its moments.

As for other current groups, EXID's Showtime was fun & I personally enjoy WJSN/Cosmic Girls a lot. Their first show was pretty good (apart from one annoying gmmick I'm not going to mention) and their new vlive variety is pretty fun so far, too.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

Is Hyori's bed and breakfast any good?

I loved it. It's more on the serene/wholesome side of the variety spectrum, in the vein of Three Meals a Day, with little forced or scripted humor/action/drama.
The first two episodes are a bit rough - Hyori & Sang-soon are great, but the guests, IU as part-time worker and the interactions of all parties are the heart and soul of the show, with the first guests arriving at the beginning and IU only arriving at the end of the second episode.

Can't wait for season two to start. I'll be missing IU, but Yoona should make an agreeable substitute.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
It's a bit early to really judge, but from that one episode I felt like they would have had a hard time trying to assemble an even less appealing/entertaining male cast.
But it's variety with Sunny, so, yay!

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Are there any active groups you guys are enjoying?

Well, SNSD technically hasn't disbanded either and most members are active in some form on their own, so... SNSD!

Otherwise I usually like individuals from groups, not necessarily follow whole groups in general, as I'm not that into the music aspect. Red Velvet is pretty good overall, but WJSN/Cosmic Girls would probably be the "group" I enjoy the most right now, simply because they have a ton of likeable members and their varieties were fun.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

eating only apples posted:

Busted! on Netflix is amazing

Counter-argument: Busted! sucks. A lot. At least the 4 episodes I wasted my time on, hoping for it to get better.

I've seen the notion a lot that it gets better, but that was already said about episodes 2 and 4, and while 4 sucked the least, it was still far from good. I've made some notes a while ago after the first 3, so I'll just post those now:

Finally a recent "variety" show where I wasn't turned off from some (main) casting choises from the begining. Too bad it's really not good at all.
I'm putting variety in quotes because while it clearly looks like a variety show from a distance, it wants to be so many things at once it just ends up a badly written low budget crime show acted out in the style of an action variety show (and ho boy, do they still want the staples in there for that. They even found a way to get their detectives fishing by episode 3), accompanied by some riddles the cast might or might not actually be solving - they get solved either way, as the plot must go on quite specifically. Apart from those the detectives do very little detecting - most of the investigative stuff gets "solved" by the cast doing unrelated tasks or the guests just spouting their lines.
Even though it's not competitive, the cast get split into (probably predetermined) teams (as the script clearly calls for a specific number of people to be at certain places at certain times) regularly, so there isn't much time for characters or pairings to be established naturally. In general very few things feel improvised or on the spot.

So, does it actually get better? Complete overhaul better?

With Dunia we get another new show in a "plot driven variety" style, adventure & survial themed. I wouldn't call it great yet but I enjoyed the first episode a lot more than Busted. One thing that helps it quite a bit to overcome the weird feel is that they really make it clear when the plot is acted out with an aspect ratio change and silly/over the top acting. The plot also seems very loose, with the viewers getting to make some decisions "Choose your own Adventure" style at the end of the episode.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
I'm guessing you're watching on Netflix? As far as I know they change some of the music there for copyright/licensing reasons - does Jackson still have a Michael Jackson song as his "theme song"? Quite a few guest have one, but that one actually got irritating fast.

NowonSA posted:

I still can't put S2 above S1 since that first season gave me an undying affection for IU when I had never heard of her before, on top of being just fun in general, but so far they're at least keeping S1 from running too far ahead, and I acknowledge that it's probably a superior season if you didn't become a big ol IU fan basically overnight like I did.

As somebody who loves both IU and Yoona, I'd also put S1 over S2. S1 started slow but otherwise I remember it as pretty consistently great, S2 started strong and ended alright with the spring episodes, but a few of the winter episodes felt "off", partially due to too much focus on Park Bogum and having too many guests at once you hardly got to know. Both IU and Yoona were entertaining in their own way and brought different things to the table, but there certainly were a few more laughs with IU and the bonding aspect was more interesting. S1 also had my favorite guest overall, Dami, the bright and charming deaf girl who just chimed so well with IU, too.

In any case, I'd welcome a season 3 (with IU and Yoona, please and thank you).

Edit: If you haven't already, you should look up SBS Heroes. It's a pretty good variety show with a freshly debuted IU as part of the main cast (two of the others become some of her future best friends). Her appearances on Running Man are also great; one leading to one of the most entertaining exchanges of blows during an eating segment. Her Weekly Idol episode is also very entertaining. Just... watch everything you've missed! It's kinda fascinating that you've been posting in this thread since 2015 and hadn't heard of her before.

eating only apples posted:

I'm prepared for someone to tell me that it's actually bad, but I've been watching Bad Guys (the 2014 series, not the spinoff yet) and I'm really into it. A good combination of violent and funny.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember liking it quite a bit, too. It's interesting how often the random korean extra helping of cheese on top of something dark and edgy still works instead of taking you completely out of it. It also doesn't hurt that Ma Dong-Seok always oozes charisma.

westborn fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 24, 2018

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

What are some other good Weekly Idol episodes to watch? I caught Mamamoo and loved those because those girls are just lovable crackheads and I liked a clip of Hyung Don trying to sort out NCT's naming schema but that's as far as I've watched.

If you already like or are interested in a specific group or Idol, watching their episodes is rarely a bad time. As for giving general recommendations there aren't many that really stand out coming to mind and most groups appeared multiple times, so it's hard to really remember/tell apart specific good episodes but A-Pink (who they also took on a trip to Saipan for a special episode) and EXID usually had very entertaining ones. Of course I personally really enjoyed the 2-part SNSD episode.
Multiple groups at once tend to be quite funny, like the one with Gfriend, Twice, BtoB & Got7 or the one with Sistar, AOA, N.Flying, MONSTA X, SONAMOO and Secret. I think the one with Lee Hi was also very well received?
Bonus: One of my favorite moments on WI ever.

NowonSA posted:

Out of curiosity, who does she become friends with long-term from SBS Heroes?

As was already mentioned, Jiyeon (T-Ara) and especially Yoo In-na, who I'm pretty sure she currently even lives door to door with in the same apartment building (I think she mentions that in Hyori's B&B).

NowonSA posted:

Now I'm thinking that was it since it was during an eating segment, I may just be taking you too literally westborn when you say it was an exchange of blows.

Confirming that this was the one I meant.

westborn fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

64fanatic posted:

Enjoyed The Genius, at least, the first two seasons.

Are there any similar shows?

I'll quote myself from early 2016:

westborn posted:

I don't know of any other shows quite like it, but Crime Scene is more on the brainy than actiony side. Now here I'd personally recommend season 2, but that's just because I can't stand Henry and haven't watched more than the first episode of seaons 1...

Not variety and haven't watched it, but there's also a korean drama version of Liar Game, based on the manga that apparently inspired The Genius.

The only show since then that comes to mind is Society Game - I didn't watch past the first episode, but it appeared to be The Genius meets Big Brother.

Don't think there's subs yet, but The Great Escape is a brand new show with an escape room concept by the The Genius creator, but he apparently said not to expect something like The Genius, and a cast featuring Kang Ho-Dong, Shindong & Kim Jong-Min makes one assume it doesn't rely too much on brain power...

Not korean variety, but I've seen The Mole (various international versions) being mentioned as similar to The Genius.

westborn fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 5, 2018

• Locked thread