Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

that's from 2009 is it really the same now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Dicky B posted:

nimrod is good poo poo i like it more than rust

yeah nimrod looks good too

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sweeper posted:

stop using bad languages tia

please list your good langauges

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

use julia

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

Python forces people to use more or less the same formatting standard which is pretty nice

gofmt was a pretty good idea too

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

can one of you pom.xml lovers go and fix rust before it hits 1.0 thanks

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MeruFM posted:

who cares about original markdown

isn't it horribly undefined junk?

yeah

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

AlsoD posted:

code:
interface TheInterface {
    static int theField = 0;
    static void theMethod() {}
}

class TheClass implements TheInterface {
    static {

// Works since Java 1.0
        int i = theField;

// Doesn't work
        theMethod();

// Do this instead
        TheInterface.theMethod();
    }
}

uhhh

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, and OCaml is even worse about that. OCaml is a language for writing the OCaml compiler and nothing else.

JavaScript has several self-hosting implementations, but none of them are written inside ES6. At one time, Adobe's engineers working on ES4 had ESC which compiled to their bytecode format. ES4 was still pretty crazy, with still lots and lots of R&D. I'm not happy with either ES4 or ES6 at this point.

rust was bootstrapped in ocaml. thanks, ocaml.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

ok i will switch to hg

hopefully there is something like better than gitolite

use something like rhodecode to help you merge and examine commits easily until you understand everything

https://rhodecode.com/features

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah I have had that a few times recently with rust they've gone into full break mode because they want to push an alpha out in a few weeks

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

tef posted:

it seems to have targeted "people who do not want to write c++" not "people who write c++" :v:

(i've seen more migrants from Python and C though)

it's me i'm the people who never, ever want to write a c++

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

isize and usize or something

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

irrational java hatred comes from starting jira or stash or any atlassian product and waiting ~5 minutes for it to be ready while it pegs all the server's cores

and then it's slow as gently caress to use

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

hey you guys rust dropped it's runtime a while ago. here's how you call rust from c
http://mainisusuallyafunction.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/calling-rust-library-from-c-or-anything.html

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

VikingofRock posted:

Here's a cool article about the Option monad in Rust. It's nice seeing monads (and the clean code that they create) getting some play in imperative languages.

looking forward to writing some slow python and php stuff in rust once it hits 1 or maybe 1.1

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

sarehu posted:

Rust is awesome if you want acyclic data structures, manually chained error-handling, and other functional programming fetishes.

:flashfap:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Bloody posted:

what is the problem it is solving that isn't already better solved by c#?

it makes janitoring your stack and heap nicer than c and c++

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Zlodo posted:

im the 36k lines of code garbage collector in a single source file
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dotnet/coreclr/master/src/gc/gc.cpp

aren't they doing a machine translation of this to go soon? ~self hosting~

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shaggar posted:

this is just as bad as it sounds with unknown changes getting shoved into your build left and right to the point where you have no idea where anything came from. what happens when you uninstall a package? who knows. it might clean up the project changes it made, it might not. even if it does, its guaranteed to break if you made any customizations to the build yourself.

this is how windows works when you install programs so it makes sense

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

all the rust code i've written is followed by a healthy dose of unwrap() or expect() or unwrap_and_then() etc to make optionals a little more pleasant, does swift have the same sugar?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

qntm posted:

the very, very first thing you learn in C++ is that it implements IO by overloading the binary shift operators :psyduck:

right?! I thought I was was the only one bothered by that "and here we bitshift "hello world" into something called "cout" wtf

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

piratepilates posted:

has anyone really profiled any common use cases for web workers in mvc stuff?

not like computation-wise, but just like angular in general using it, would you actually see any real performance benefits?

how are you guys managing to write webpages with performance issues

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Soricidus posted:

the only thing I disagree with in that shaggar quote is getting out at 5, because that implies getting in earlier than 11

it's nice to go home while it's still light :)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Symbolic Butt posted:

recently I sent some PRs to ansible and let me say if you want to contribute to some python project oh boy ansible has a lot of work to do

also the dudes are pretty nice and open, which is not exactly a thing in every open source project

i once saw a PR for ansible that added python 3 support and it was rejected by the founder because he didn't think python 3 was going to gain any traction

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i wrote some php today and lol @ comments that affect the code
code:
class PostController extends Controller
{
    /**
     * @Route("/")
     */
    public function indexAction()
    {
        // ...
    }
}

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

just 301 the links guys
actually
why don't browsers offer to update bookmarks when they get a 301

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

"your bookmark returned an error 500 response. complain on facebook?"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the talent deficit posted:

it's like an evolution of rails. which is ok i guess but there are more interesting things going on in web frameworks than MVC, CRUD and ORMs

like what

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

PSA: keep your nodejs comments short. They effect performance.

https://top.fse.guru/nodejs-a-quick-optimization-advice-7353b820c92e

too close to the metal

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Wheany posted:

is this programming? our sql database had mojibake in it, so i ran
s/ä/ä/g
s/ö/ö/g
s/Ã¥/å/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x84/ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x8e/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x94/ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x84/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x96/Ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\xa9/é/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x85/Å/g
on a dump and that seems to have fixed it.

are you a mysql dba

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

suffix posted:

there's some ranting about it earlier in the thread but rather than repeat it i'll link to some posts by go supporters explaining how not having dependency management is actually a good thing, and how checking error values for every call is not annoying because you can subvert it so the compiler can't check that you're handling errors

https://blog.gopheracademy.com/advent-2014/case-against-3pl/

https://blog.golang.org/errors-are-values

why doesnt the official go site have syntax highlighting this is awful

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

gonadic io posted:

i've been doing lots of rust lately. did you know there's a person on stack overflow who spends the majority of their time editing "rust" to "Rust" in everybody's posts?

rust seems good tho

yeah now the standard library is stabilising a bit and the 3rd party ones are sorting their poo poo out it's good

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

i wrote that last night

code:
    function formatHex(v, w) {
        var S = v.toString(16).toUpperCase();
        while (S.length < w)
            S = '0' + S;
        return S;
    }
why is there an npm module for this and why don't people just write out the two lines of while loop in their own module

i think you mean why doesn't the startard library save you from this dumb boilerplate

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Zemyla posted:

Not branching is a good thing, especially on embedded systems that don't have branch prediction.

sufficiently smart compiler etc

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

remember when toyota was forced to reveal how horrifying their code was

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Bloody posted:

idk what i'd use rust for. everything systemsy i do eventually boils down into some nasty unsafe poo poo which presumably (?) would wind up infecting everything and everything else is probably more pleasant to do in c# or similar

the idea is the nasty unsafe poo poo gets put in a few places behind 'unsafe' blocks where you can stare at them until you're sure you're not stomping all over your memory and the rest of your program is properly checked by the compiler
also it's a lot nicer to write than c. c is so ugly.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

eschaton posted:

it also doesn't need a @

this is one of those 'it doesnt matter a library will handle validation' things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

elm is the best learning language for the same reasons that make it a bitch of a 9-5 language:

- it will force you to write code in exactly one design: purely functional mvu. there is no issue with choosing a framework, because there are no frameworks. anything but the default architecture will not compile. makes python look like perl in that regard

- it will absolutely never let you take any shortcut. every time your data models are poorly designed, the compiler will punish you by forcing you to handle corner cases you don't care about, until you learn to write tighter models with fewer possible states

- it will never provide you with any form of hidden compiler magic, including reflection. you can codegen some trivial stuff like json decoding, but every line of elm code you write you will understand exactly what it does

- it has a bus factor of 1 which is 1 higher than a learning language strictly needs

what is a bus factor