Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

why is that funny it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

javascript seems okay enough but i just finished javascript: the good parts and it's basically like "this sucks here's how you can rewrite the language to suit our needs"

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

gucci void main posted:

i use zero js in my job unless absolutely mandatory, hth

what language do you use at work and do you actually know it

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Socracheese posted:

javascript really is terrible though. i have no idea why anyone would want to specialize in being a 'front end dev' just loving use jquery for your button mouseovers or drag/drops

hmm.......

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

gucci void main posted:

typing is a ruby user's biggest enemy, i guess

i'm really loving stressed out right now here though because a lot is being expected of me and it feels like asking for help is a problem even though it shouldn't be

at 80k/y it probably is a problem

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

i like tef posting

i dont like sulk posting

i hate my own posting even more

programming languages own tho

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

tef posted:

i caved in and started playing super hexagon, so long nice knowing you

:ohdear:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

tef posted:

aahahahahahahaha

i've always known i've been underpaid at this job. always. I took a cut to start here, as I was a little desperate to be hired when I had to leave the last one for medical reasons.

in the meantime, I did eventually get a raise, not through asking (ha ha as if that worked), but by someone new being hired with a realistic expectation of pay. i know the small company thing, where you get a lottery ticket in lieu of wages, or money's often tight, that said, someone got offered a significant chunk when they handed in their notice.

I compensated by slacking off to meet the salary they give me, pissing off to san francisco for five weeks. I haven't really done any significant work in many months, but that's more because of conflicting requirements and a company that chases any chance of a sale, let alone a mythical profit. Still, i felt pretty bad about work-to-rule.

that was until I was informed of a document somewhere in the wiki, listing the market rates for the roles we have. they've known since the outset that I've been significantly underpaid. to the extent that I could ask for double my current salary and just hit the average.

it's me, i'm the chump.

so ask for it or leave idk

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

last updated 4/20 :2bong:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

dont give the talk

then sulk would just post about hating erlang itt

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

cool another hn link from sulk that he probably didnt read / doesnt understand

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Technological Education Facilitator

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

tef posted:

i also flunked the facebook in-person interview.

maybe I would have been less openly hostile to them in person if they'd been able to book a hotel the night before, and I hadn't had to run across london to find a bed.

u dont seem like you'd work well w/ those filthy capitalists anyway

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

tef posted:

so i'm (helping) to write a book on coding,

you know, for kids.

also my first week of work will likely be spent at ohm2013.

tef you're the best :3:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Now tell us about java.lang.System.setOut().

how about i tell u to java.lang.System.getOut() ?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

http://foaas.herokuapp.com/you/shaggar/yospos

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

on a roll today

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

rotor turned me on to this

fake edit: gently caress

not the first time thats happened :mmmhmm:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

can I ask you about your bespoke JavaScript web framework of the week

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

MononcQc posted:

http://rumoursdb.com dangit node.js people

the rumour is that it works lol

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1f4a9/index.htm

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Tiny Bug Child posted:

also everyone knows the first thing you do is make apache run as root so you stop getting all those dumb permission "errors" whenever you try and do something

this is real boring

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

FOLLOW ME BRUH posted:

what is right thumb?

space, i assume

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

sublime text 3 suits all of my text editing needs on osx

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Linux is so bad that some distros even have paid text editors. incredible

lol if you pay for a text editor

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

this av change is really sealing the deal that tbc is just a shaggar alt account for me

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

longer than your last gig, at least

quoting from way backb ut lol

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

whats a good book to learn ruby

i am a bad programmer

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

rjmccall posted:

it actually was pool-allocated

but we were removing it from lists and calling destructors anyway because we detected that it was "unused"

in fact it would still have been a bug in a gc language because the original bug was a byproduct of the inconsistency, not of memory corruption

and the memory corruption associated with the object was a really obvious clue about what was going wrong

so in some ways it was easier to debug because it wasnt a gc language

because deinitialization implicitly signals object invalidation like nothing else ever could

but i wanted to be nice to the gc fans

because someone has to

and its not going to be me

why do you make posts in this format

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

JavaScript is a good language. I like it a lot.

what are you making with javascript?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

monokai is cool and good

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Lots of things. My most recent project was http://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/

also this is great ty for posting

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

MononcQc posted:

No I mean before you switch to a different one :v:

so did he

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

JSONx is an IBM® standard format to represent JSON as XML. The appliance converts JSON messages that are specified as JSON message type to JSONx. The appliance provides a style sheet that you can use to convert JSONx to JSON.

JSONx conversion rules specify how a DataPower® service converts a JSON structure to JSONx (XML).

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wsdatap/v6r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.dp.xm.doc%2Fjson_jsonx.html

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

brand engager posted:

Is there a good writeup of the oracle vs google stuff somewhere? Because I dont get what google did wrong from the summary

sarah jeong did a bunch of live tweeting (the stream of consciousness is interesting even in retrospect) and wrote a bunch of articles about it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/27/17169064/federal-circuit-oracle-v-google-third-trial-java-android

she has a number of other articles in vice, vox, et al if you want to dig deeper