Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

ahhh spiders posted:

it's cool how simple lua is but there's all this sweet metatable stuff that lets you add complexity if you want it

yeah, it's basically like if you took all the lovely parts out of javascript

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

ppp posted:

i think what you are looking for is coffeescript

yeah but I could also just stick with lua, seeing as it's already super great.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

JawnV6 posted:

maybe it's just x86/my env, but freertos was a pain in the rear end to build and i had to write a lot of asm to make it play nice with my other tools

eCos build isn't perfect, but it's a lot smoother than freertos. also has the nice GUI config manager to set it all up, like you've got checkboxes for FPU support, the different schedulers, etc. compiles to a library that you link to when you build your content and anything that you don't use gets trimmed then. also has a POSIX layer so it's easy to write for.

it's probably x86. I've used freeRTOS on a few ARM projects and I never had to do poo poo to get it to play nice.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

tef posted:

i have the feeling that things like intellisense/autocomplete let people write bigger programs, rather than better programs.

:yayclod:

no they just make people write dumber libraries.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Otto Skorzeny posted:

so it turns out that, besides the weird semi-hungarian notation names for its internal funcs and the part where you specify task stack in words rather than bytes, freertos is actually really nice, and as a bonus the sprintf implementation it provides is way waaaaaay nicer than gnu sprintf :toot:

like I said, it never gave me no guff.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Mr Dog posted:

EFM32 isn't any harder to work with than AVR, if anything having a unified ROM/RAM/peripheral space actually makes things a lot easier. The Arduino toolchain is hiding a lot of the Harvard nastiness from you, but it's still there beneath the surface.

what harvard nastiness are you refering to? I've worked with STM32s and AVRs a whole bunch and the biggest difference between the two is that avr-studio is a nicer IDE.

well, nicer than Ride7.

Zaxxon fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 5, 2012

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Mr Dog posted:

If you have a lot of const data in your firmware, then it gets copied into your RAM at reset which wastes RAM. You can stick it into flash, but then you have to remember to either use pgm_read() and friends, or remember to use a different, flash-reading version of basically every libc function that takes a pointer.

it's the same with an STM32 though. You just don't have to use flash so much because you have more ram.

oh and HID is a goddamn nightmare to work with, everyone does it all wrong in new and unique ways.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Otto Skorzeny posted:

hid and cdc and numerous other things wrt usb all get taken out to the woodshed. people want to expend the minimum possible engineering effort to get from point a to point b and welp,

you would think just using regular old endpoints could be made simple at the OS level. I mean it's pretty easy from uC side.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

I think the reason most people do the CDC serial thing is because it's the only reasonably well supported cross platform solution. And even if your device is HID compliant on windows you still have to gently caress with SetupAPI stuff if you want your code to handle hot-plugging at all gracefully.

I just don't understand why USB is so much more complicated from a user-space perspective than ethernet or serial ports. I mean basically you plug a device in and you should have a file for each endpoint.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Probably because USB devices do things that files don't

well a single USB device would have to be multiple files, one for each endpoint.

At the level basically every program is written at they just take data in and spit data out. Maybe you would have to do something slightly different for isochronous endpoints, but you could still use a file as the data transfer abstraction.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Mr Dog posted:

USB is indeed no less complicated from user space if you're interacting with a standardised device class than a TCP/IP socket is, in fact it's probably a lot less complicated, depending on what kind of device you're dealing with (inputdev in win32 is just aggressively poo poo)

If you want to actually send raw ethernet frames though then lol

CDC seems to me like a huge abstraction inversion, though. USB has a lot of really nice things in it like out-of-band control messages with a consistent structure, as well as the fact that USB is datagram-oriented instead of byte-oriented in general. CDC also isn't supported well under Windows at all, Linux gives you a /dev/ttyACM easy as pie, but then who gives a gently caress about Linux (also libusb under not-Windows is even more straightforward than a tty, do a libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid, maybe acquire the interface you're working with to disconnect the OS class drivers and you're good to go).

:allears: USB. I like making USB devices, they're pretty cool.

I've never had much of a problem with CDC under windows. Just pops up as COM whatever. HID also does ok, and you can register hooks which notify your program on plugin/removal.but yeah I wish libusb didn't suck on windows.

USB devices are pretty fun to make though.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

sometimes i want to learn python extensions but the code looks really awful to write

do lua instead, adding extensions is easy.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
yo MononcQc, if I buy LYSE off amazon will you get screwed over in any way? Cause I got a gift card.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

prefect posted:

What's so bad about JSP? (Serious question.)

<%= LETS MIX UP OUR CODE AND MARKUP THAT'S FUN %>

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

yaoi prophet posted:

also js and lua probably don't have bigints because bigint arithmetic is slower than float/double arithmetic

I think the idea is that since these are languages for "small programs" having different numeric types would confuse people. poo poo like: "How come 1/2 doesn't equal .5"

I mean, it's a bullshit reason, but that's what I think was going on at the time.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

yaoi prophet posted:

how many people are out there that think cobol is the best language

My uncle has said this to me once with no hint of irony in his voice.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

yaoi prophet posted:

haskell has the nicest syntax of any language i've seen but maybe i'm biased since i use it a lot

the indentation gets a little screwy don't you think?
For example the state monad from LYAH:

code:
instance Monad (State s) where  
    return x = State $ \s -> (x,s)  
    (State h) >>= f = State $ \s -> let (a, newState) = h s  
                                        (State g) = f a  
                                    in  g newState  
it's kind of annoying that everything after the let block has to be indented way the gently caress out there, I don't know though I haven't done much haskell maybe you could clean that poo poo up by putting the let on a new line.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
Can you even ... like *STORE* data man?

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

prefect posted:

is mono no longer A Thing?

Xamarin sells a lot of stuff.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

vapid cutlery posted:

HAHA. IN A MOVE AS OLD AS TIME, YOU HAVE MODIFIED THE POST I MADE AND QUOTED IT. I AM CAUGHT IN YOUR LAZY TRAP YOU loving USELESS MORON

BUT THE SOUL STILL BURNS

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Police Academy III posted:

have they fixed lua's php-level "do everything but none of it particularly well" arrays yet?

lua's arrays store values or references indexed by number pretty well.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

a list is a sequential series of elements indexed by numbers. if you try to insert something into an index that isn't a number it should tell you to gently caress off instead of magically changing into something that sort of works like a list but isn't. if you do that then you're php level stupid.

Oh you are mad that tables aren't strictly arrays. Maybe that's why they didn't call them arrays.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

ultramiraculous posted:

are you saying [1,2,3,nil,5] has a length of 4? because that sounds nuts

nope, that has length 5 and will return 5 if you use the length operator.

To be more clear the literal {1,2,3,nil,5} will have length 5.

however you can screw it up by doing x = {1,2,3,4,5} x[4] = nil. That will come back with length 3. It is an annoying aspect of tables.

Zaxxon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 7, 2013

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really, when non-programmers are able to do it it tends to get reclassified as non-programming

yes, this is because then you don't have to pay people as much. Hence the popularity of poo poo like salesforce.com

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

ultramiraculous posted:

No hardware. No software. No boundaries.

no stored procedures, no joins, no debugger.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

I'm as big a lisp dork as anyone, but if you're seriously considering sticking a scripting language into your system to let non-programmers try to program then you should probably go with javascript which at least has a large amount of documentation targeted towards idiots.

can we put a scripting language in and only let programmers use it?

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Condiv posted:

i really don't get C hipsters

it's cause it's vintage.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

uG posted:

C is good cause its not C++

that is one of it's finer aspects.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

tef posted:

yosposting from inside moz london

But in the U.K. moz means Morrissey.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

MononcQc posted:

oh god are we talking about node.js' concurrency model right now? things I get caremad about.

node.js has a concurrency model? I thought it was strictly a single threaded event loop, and if you wanted concurrency you had to do multiple processes.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
there are pletny of good embedded IDEs, but as has been said before they are mostly useful if you want to do step through debugging with your JTAG.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Zlodo posted:

i remember PSO on dreamcast and its usage of swatch internet time
http://www.swatch.com/zz_en/internettime/

:rip:

Suckas don't even realize that Mexico is in North America

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Shaggar posted:

javascript will be replaced w/ language agnostic bytecode and everything will be good.

I see a dream in your post... We can call it "Our Hope"

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

MeruFM posted:

i don't understand why node.js exists.

I know, c and inetd are good enough for anybody.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Zombywuf posted:

It is news to many people that you have to be careful when writing not-C programs.

not-c programs should be outlawed as hate speech.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
static and dynamically typed languages are the same sides of two different coins.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

it's like the other side of Rich Hickey's "Simple Made Easy"

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
With javascript you have the power to do both functional and OO programming all half-assed.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i'm just gonna quote the whole thing, it's a cavalcade of comedy

jesus christ that is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
Max/MSP IN THE CLOUD is gonna change the world folks.