Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anal Tributary posted:

idk i'm trying to pick and choose my time

i've had school taking up time. i have to get some sort of job this summer; it's gonna be some retail thing, i've got actual projects i want to do (things in javascript, because that's what i know). so that leaves like not a lot of pure learning time

i'd like to learn c, or maybe lisp, but i don't have anything i'm working on that would really benefit from another language, or any projects i want to start that could use another language.

and plus there's so much more poo poo i have to learn besides just languages. i want to learn redis (not that there's much to learn), mongodb, oh, also how to better-use actual SQL dbs, some basic devops stuff (migrations, deploys, etc). i'd like to learn how to do concurrent programming, wanna play around with functional languages, etc., etc.

oh and i also really need to learn mobile web development. maybe even like iphone app development.

so i have to pick and choose. right now i'm doing emberjs stuff because it's an undeveloped ecosystem where i have a chance to really contribute, i'm pretty good at javascript, and a project i'm working on needed a js mvc framework and i found emberjs easier to get started with than backbonejs.

cool i really like how not only did i mention that libraries exist to mitigate callback hell/spaghetti code, i also namedropped a specific one, and yet you still used this as a point :)
anal rush you seem like a great codeing guy but I think there's one thing we can all agree on and that is that you probably masturbate a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
linuxgangster.com redirects to a site about boa constrictors

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

linuxgangster.com redirects to a site about boa constrictors

Hi everyone. Just testing this out. (so excited) lol. Anyways, what possible combinations can I get out of an anery het albino het salmon if bred with my albino boa? Neither are ready to breed just yet. But a friend of my from Fresno is selling a few Anery babies that had an albino dad and a salmon mother that was het Anery. Just wondering if I would need my male albino to be het Anery to produce snows or if he would have to be het hypo to get some sunglow. Any help would be appreciated.
By the way my male albino red tail is only 10 months old and the Andries are all about 2 months old so they won't be ready till another year and a half for my male and about 3 years for the female Anery.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its weird when you take a poo poo
forget about it
walk back in a minute later
are grossed out by the smell
then realise it's yours

conflicted is a word that springs to mind

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how long will it take for me to learn how to make an ios app

the app is incredibly simple
like literally as simple as an app can get unless the only job of the app is to have a black screen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gazpacho posted:

oh just what the world needs another flashlight app

no i was actually joking it is literally as simple as making the screen black

i cant believe there arent apps for situations like concerts or movies when you dont want the screen to illuminate youreself or others or be a distraction etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vapid cutlery posted:

there's a button on the top of the phone to make the screen black, or even not black sometimes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah gently caress choice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweeper posted:

not apples fault that developers are too stupid to use features reasonably

unless youre talking about letting apps vibrate when they're not in focus...

otherwise who gives a poo poo how annoying an app is - if it sucks dont use it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweeper posted:

apple just made the choice for them, thats all

well first you were saying it was for good reason
and now its just coz gently caress it why let people use poo poo they own?

Jonny 290 posted:

86% of all human deaths throughout history have been because somebody wanted 'more choices'

just sit down and dwi already

death is glorious

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whats that good reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if perhaps it drains the battery quickly or heats it up or makes it wear out or something yeah id buy that

but simply so an app can't do something annoying?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well theres a reason
not just "its subjectively annoying so we shouldnt let people do it"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well yeah because of those reasons above its objectively bad overall

im saying that you should be "allowed" to do things that are subjectively annoying... heck most apps are loving annoying and stupid and 99% of apps are fart apps and apple is cool with it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why not

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
even though my posting is objectively bad, someone out there, sometime maybe once will find something i say subjectively passable at least once

then my job is done and everything has been worth it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

i for one like having an easy switch between normal, vibrate, and silence but ya whatevs

kinda gay solution but have silent=no vibratea and just turn down ringer volume when only want vibrate

oh thats right you cant turn it all the way down that isnt an option

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does anywone remember that epic evolution pythoin coded loving junk that i crapped on yospos a few years ago

i am dreaming of turning it into an app

should i make a kick starter

and which of you faggots will support me and help me code my way out of the dirtiest pit of all time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a few years ago? isnt this more of a constant with you

im talking about a specific defecation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i enjoyed coding once but then i realised it was an elite club for sociopaths and cat children and i just didnt feel ok about it after

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Socracheese posted:

i hate coding, people, the earth, being alive, etc

i dont hate the earth, the earth is 1 cool motherfucker

the rest though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
me too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are they anything like "socks", that you put on your feet? I cant see how they relate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
think of the amoutn of power used around the world to compile and execute poo poo like java every single loving time instead of doing it once and distrubiting efficient executables

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Bug Child posted:

basically developers should hate anything "native". the idea that it's somehow a good thing is laughable

im sure grand theft auto 5 - web edition - is going to be a great hit on the google chrome book

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

i like having to handle dates because i get bored and get to read about how hosed up the world is on wikipedia:
"The 27°N latitude passes back and forth across time zones in South Asia. Pakistan: +05:00, India +05:30, Nepal +05:45, +05:30, Myanmar +06:30. This switching was more odd in 2002, when Pakistan enabled daylight saving time. Thus from west to east, time zones were: +06:00, +05:30, +05:45, +05:30, +08:00, +06:00, +05:30 and +06:30."

time sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it is probably the most mind blowing fact to realise how far we've come in air travel

iut blows my mind much more than say computer tech or something.

100 years ago we didnt have 747s but then leonardio decaprio becomes a famous plane builder and builds passenger aircraft from his dried urine

and now we can fly to the other world and we just get on a plane and we arrive at dfestination

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
beat a murrito

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god u guys talk some gibberish at times

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who wants to help my find a soltuion to this problem which by all means is not a new one

ok SO lets give an example

lets say you want to do something

opk how about i just use the real life example i am wondering

so i am going to make an ARUIDNO SKETCH in C and its going to take maeasurements from a joystick thing and use it to move some servos around with a laser
basically like a laser gun thing

anyway i cant decide whether to make the control of it absolute or relative regarding the movition and position of the joystick

the code woudldnt be significantly diferent anyway

so how can i make my code have this option.... efficiently?

i know how to do it inefficiently. inthe main look just have an if statement that is like "if relativre=no then blah blah" and an esle or whatever
but that would mean every time the main loop ran itd have to do an if statement

OR i could have two main loops but that would be a maintenance nightmare

surely there exists a common and sandarda and well accepted and machine code efficient solution to this kind of problem

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also i srated reading a book on how to think like a processor or basically like a simplified idea of how processors do things so if you were coding in asembler well youd need to know to use it iefficientl and i can say i feel like ui understand a lot more now. maybe a total genius>? idk im no good at telling things about myself. anyway i can recommend doing it. i am a terrible and unknowledgable coder but it has helped me when i draem abot coding

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dats fuckin genius and i understanding perfectly what you mean by that. i mean as in, i know what a pointer is. never used them of course but i understand. and its totally obvious how that is a great idea! ahahahah cool man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if i was to make a website in python what would be a good host i could do it all on?

idk how that poo poo works? like my own pc and i work on it only it’s not my own pc it’s someone else’s i log into ala teamviewer? or ssh? and store the data base and the python files and it serves up the http over the cat5s?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ps i don’t really even know if i’m on the right train of thought or if i’m shamefully wrong about how it really works. i just wanna make it work. i don’t mind doing my own research but a jump start on what i should be looking into for a start would be very helpful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsech posted:

honestly if that's the level of questions you're asking, probably just throwing it on heroku is your best bet

ok cool

mystes posted:

Start developing it on your own computer and then set it up on digitalocean or ec2 or whatever using ssh.

ok cool

AggressivelyStupid posted:

you can use Django (more involved, but also more stuff is done for you) or flask, and buy like the five dollar a month digitalocean droplet

you'll also need a domain name

ok cool

i’ll look at these and see what suits my needs and profound lack of skill and knowledge and funds

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i do want to code my website directly (well tbh i don’t care about that but i do have a specific vision and prepared to code directly) and my only code skill is with python and this thing will need a database and sql is the only one of those i know OF lol so if whatever can do that i’ll be happy

where’s the best place to buy a domain from in this day and age? godaddy?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsech posted:

this is one reason i recommended heroku. you do development locally, then just do "git push heroku" and bam. when you set it up you can say "i want a postgresql plz" and you will magically have one with backups and poo poo all done for you.

I use name.com, gandi.net also doesnt suck. definitely not godaddy under any circumstances

hmm ok i can deal with this

also guess i need to learn git now

🤔 i’ll learn something for sure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

whole thing is extremely new to me, but I’m very imprsssed with it so far. still don’t really “get” what an “app” is in its lingo but I guess it’s coz my knowledge/awarenesss of things on the internet is so shallow. presumably ultimately my one website will be a single “app” and if one day there was iOS app you’d have a seperate “app” to deal with it.

slowly working thru the tutorial thing like doing a git and about to click a button that’s saying “I know what a proctfile” is but I really don’t know what one is, only that they now exist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I need to be using 3.7 anyway

and thanks I appreciate it

now this isnt really the programming thread is it. this is a thread about programming languages. a meta programming thread.. YOSPOS bitch

I think I should move my ramblings to the other thread. im probably going to be constantly making GBS threads up whichever thread I end up in with my stupid fuckin questions so I should at least choose the right one to gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not far into that page you linked to but I really do appreciate its "ill just call it 'shitface' because none of this really matters" attitude

all tech writing should constantly remind the reader that nothing we are ever doing on the internet is ever important. its good