Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sweevo posted:

when each character is a variable size then you have to walk the entire string every time you try to access the Nth entry

not if the internal representation is utf 32!! :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

today it's an http api serving json, but tomorrow...who knows! maybe it will be soap over amqp. oh and we're not using postgresql anymore, the storage is riak. i hope your model layer is sufficiently abstracted to accommodate this change

dont worry its an orm so we can just slot in any storage theres no ... hahaaahahaaa

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

it was pretty laffo when i started at my job and my boss told me "we do everything mvc style here" and when i started looking in to the code i found controllers that did nothing but forward to jsps and scriplets, scriplets as far as the eye could see

this is so many companies ever "yeah we do source control" *has a few dozen commits in months all named "fix"* "we are totally in to kanban" *has a bunch of stickies on a wall like 'bugfix mail system' and 'friday casual day'* "node is the future" *most of everything still runs on classic asp with no goal to change any of it*

not that im defending node!!!!!!!!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
a billion pages about the awesome/vile duality of unicode yet nobody can explain to me why theres a poop emoticon glyph

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

quote:

Apple, Microsoft and Google

ah

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
being a programmer is very profitable whatever lang you choose :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
my workwife is my housewife ;_; smdh

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Malcolm XML posted:

repls own, esp when u can set a breakpoint and drop down into one for debugging, then have the editor splice in the code fix :)

this sounds great. what does this

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

MononcQc posted:

In other JS news (crosspost from security thread):

<button class="nice">NICE!</button>

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

titaniumone posted:

then it should be called "clone"

a class named "...Immutable" with a method called "modify" is idiocy

idiocy!! yeah no

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
why hasn't d taken off it seems like its good

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
*conviently forgets the massive amount of cs "young professionals" only knowing java*

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

suffix posted:

i'm playing spacechem right now and therefore i too can relate to queue chat

imo just make a really long pipe so it won't fill up before level complete

you wont get in to the high scores table like that!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

fart simpson posted:

whats the reference
lern 2 read the bible :rolleyes:

nimrod was a king & mighty hunter in the bibbles and then bugs bunny ironically called elmer fudd nimrod and now everybody thinks nimrod == idiot THANKS WALT

prob like that? never heard of nimrod the lang

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Shaggar posted:

way to recommend a bunch of p-langs so they start off down the wrong path.

is ti basic considered p lang now. because thats where i started and im a poo poo webdev w/ no formal training

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

akadajet posted:

you can tell i'm a webdev i can't comprehend most of hackbunny's posts

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
xml is Too Verbose. there, i said it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1.0 was published in '98
1.1 was published in '04

the fifth edition is the 5th revision of the 1.0 standard, not the 5th version of xml

:psyduck:

Why deal with revisions when you already have versioning?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

MononcQc posted:

Well "rest api" now means "api that returns JSON over HTTP"

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

JewKiller 3000 posted:

monads are not particularly interesting theoretical objects. the only reason anyone cares about them is because of haskell and its lazy evaluation, and the only monad that haskellers really care about is the IO monad. when they observe that lots of other things "are monads" too, they're doing that to make themselves feel better about needing the IO monad. it's a hack, and haskellers need to feel elegant like pretty princesses

what is monad? can any1 explain it 2 me

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
here they are:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it is. the more you use json the more you notice how bad it sucks, especially because now that the useless academics are starting to use json, you're seeing a lot more json parsers adhere to asinine levels of "strictness" (to a spec that doesn't really exist). this leads directly to dumb poo poo like you quoted. they really hosed up php's json encoder/parser a couple minor versions ago; now it breaks if you try to parse json that doesn't double-quote the key names. thanks douglas crockford, that really helps.

i have a draft blog post somewhere that outlines my idea for a replacement for json: PAN, or PHP array notation. just like you can eval() json to get a javascript object, you can eval() a chunk of PHP and get a PHP array. it's a great idea because php even has the encoder built in: var_export(). there's really no reason not to use it over json. also, the spec for PAN is eternally frozen at "any php code that evaluates to an array" because deviating from that is where JSON started to turn to poo poo

serialize is better because it supports object instances

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
This thread makes me wish I had a CS degree.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm wondering whether people's preferences about static typing because that's what one knows the best and how someone has learned to reason about programs. Like how a programmer that grew up with smalltalk can't stop thinking about sending messages to objects whenever possible.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Soricidus posted:

e: every time this comes up I start thinking that really what I want is optional typing, is that mainstream yet

php7

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Max Facetime posted:

I don't get it

this is the mount gox guy? hahaha

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Soricidus posted:

the only good languages are the ones that allow the poop emoji in identifiers

php wins again

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the "distinction" between strong and weak typing is nowhere near as important as the distinction between static and dynamic typing (the latter is not typing). and as other posters have explained, strong/weak typing are not very well defined, so such terms are avoided in the literature. but when it does appear, the term "weak typing" applies invariably to C

or maybe PHP, but PHP is not a programming language. it's a set of functions that you can call, but should not

:cry:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Volte posted:

I started making a webapp in Python without a framework by making it a series of services that don't even know about HTTP. It'll render templates, do DB access, sessions, logging in, user accounts, etc, but without HTTP.
All the good web frameworks I've worked with did this as well (or at least has the facilities to), but it mostly comes down to the individual programmer's discipline to separate out the transporting of the thing with the creating of the thing.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
lol @ aspect oriented programming

whats that, typo3 or something?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Symphony is the most enterprisey php has ever php'd

note: i have no experience w/ zend stuff

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I wonder what dhh thinks of this

prob. "this is great!!"

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

if your tired of the spam just change your name to a woman's and then you'll get a fifth of the spam and maybe even go 6 or 7 months without a single message :v:

:smith:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Bloody posted:

oh lemme guess it stems entirely from people using garbage languages/libs/tools/platforms

ie every one

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wrote another article about computer.

http://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/regions.html

Please bash it to bits.

Good stuff. Especially love the interactive animations, which makes me nostalgic for my flash roots.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ahmeni posted:

I can't think of a good consistency joke now but it'll come to me eventually

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
What I'm wondering, is it better to have a parseStrict() included in the language or is it smarter to tell users to implement it themselves? Having a parseStrict() to paper over an older, probably not correct, function gives me strong mysql_real_escape_string vibes. You could put a notice in the docs of parseStrinct() saying that it probably doesn't do what you want it to, and everyone needs to reimplement the more correct function themselves. I'd probably would go for the latter option in this case.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Job Security™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Vanadium posted:

How do I do this in practice, beyond my usual modus operandi of writing code no one actually needs

Judicious use of copy+paste. (don't listen to me)