Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You get a permanent boost to something when you master a class. They also require multiple maxed classes for access to the very advanced jobs that have tons of good stats. That said your dudes getting owned fast is pretty normal later on, I don't really remember what I did to get income up but I know my first playthrough I was definitely having some trouble finishing off the last 5 star stuff. Second playthrough went a lot smoother unshockingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Nope not available in the US. Unless there's a different version that they have labeled for US, I tried searching for "DoDonPachi" and got no results however.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you can try and do Challenges every month, you can only do 2 per month but they increase the tuition each student generates by $30/month (I think might be variable) and you can wind up getting at least 2 more subjects semi-randomly later on. Having all of those 5 starred will give you a pretty sizable chunk of extra income and it also is supposed to help your students get better grades.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Spectral Souls, it's even half off so $7 until the 1st.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

SlayVus posted:

Is there any grinding in Spectral Souls? I've only played the first five or six battles in the beginning so far. I feel I'm going to get to a point in the game where someone has to be a certain level, but I only like playing with my strongest people.

I actually do like some grind in my RPGs.

There's some grinding yeah. There's also a New Game+ mode. There are a few grind maps available to you after you get not too far in, and you can then get some levels and more importantly upgrade some weapons and turn people into insane kill machines (like Nagi).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Uhhhh both. The number of AP you get (think that's what it's called, you use it to upgrade gear) is static (or close to it) for the map, so you can keep grinding away at a map leveling your weapons up to max level long past when the mobs are a challenge. But when the map first opens up, it's at least as challenging, if not more so, than the story maps preceding it's opening.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 28, 2012

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

SlayVus posted:

Same goes for the other game HyperDevBox sells.

As much as I loved Spectral Souls, I highly do not recommend Generation of Chaos. It plays nothing like Spectral Souls, which was okay, but it also has almost no story and the mechanics are painfully obtuse. It's basically made for extreme hardcore fans of that series.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Similarly, I like Samba Filesharing for managing my files wirelessly on my PC. Very convenient not having to bother to plug it in.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I Watson posted:

Has anyone been able to build a showcase in Pocket Clothier yet? I can't seem to figure out the requirements.

You get Large from Stocking and Showcase from Style, possibly vice versa. They're both based on your employee skills earning you a trophy and getting you a trophy reward. Just managed to do it finally in year 11, month 11. I think an employee needs to break 300 in that stat but I'm not entirely sure.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 10, 2012

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What do you like about Grand Prix vs the others? I think Pocket Clothier is really solid, and most everything carries over for New Game+ making it a lot of fun. It's also got pretty decent tutorials and is intuitive otherwise. The only things I think are awkward is the penalty you pay when you have over 100k and lots of stock every March, but that's a late-game or second game issue. The other awkward thing is the requirements for getting Showcases and Large Shelves/Racks, which to be fair there are usually things like that semi-hidden in the games anyways.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

SlayVus posted:

Whats the best way to not pay taxes to? I use all Large Shelves and Racks and set everything to Stock 5 order 60.

The only way I can think of to get around taxes is to stop ordering goods starting say Dec/Jan and just letting stock on hand run out, so that when March rolls around you're basically empty all over. And then after the tax passes you by without hitting you, go back to ordering up (probably with an additional extra order to help get you back up) and operate normally the rest of the year. Otherwise you're going to be stuck paying $300k+ every year just because you use Large Racks and have a little bit of stock on hand.

[Edit] Just tried this, my profits were pretty normal for the months I wasn't ordering, but I still had so much overstock I had to pay $458k in taxes. Maybe at this point in the game you need to stop auto stocking and just order early in the year a gently caress ton of everything and try and get it moved by the time March rolls around again.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 15, 2012

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Just bumped into This game Hero Mages, looks like it could be fun. Anybody tried it?

I ran through a couple of the tutorials so far, but just wanted to say it's kind of neat and well worth giving a try of the free version at least.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I really enjoyed the restaurant one and Pocket Clothier. Academy is solid too. They're all a good max of building your place and upgrading your things.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Goetta posted:

So how is the Sushi game? I would buy it right now but figure I should get a full game of the fashion one in first

It's solid. It reminds me of Pocket Academy in that at first it's kinda confusing of how you're supposed to proceed and then you start upgrading a few dishes and joining contests and getting ranked and you don't have to worry about money quite as much (but you're not rolling in it like the Clothier). And you're back to needing Sushi Coins as a precious resource to really get all the interesting stuff like a normal Kairosoft game.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Wonder how long it'll take before that gets pulled.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

I'm pretty sure "ATH Developer" doesn't own the copyright to both Chrono Trigger and Rock'n'Roll Racing.

This, and also look at the package name, it's just using SNESDroid and auto launching a Chrono Trigger ROM, it's clearly not a real port. Also given that they're selling something called Doodle Devil, which is another companies app, it wouldn't surprise me if there is malware embedded in there and that's the main reason they're doing this.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

vonManstein posted:

Been wondering the same myself. The only game I've found that more or less fits the criteria is Cthulu Waste Lands, but it's missing the whole RPG element, it's more turn based strategy than rpg. I

There's Spectral Souls, traditional Japanese turn based rpg, then there's Deadly Dungeons, Cyber Knights, Templar Knights, or Space Traders.

You could always install Jagged Alliance 2, there are ways to install it. Don't know if they've managed to get Fallout to run, would be fantastic.

Cthulhu Saves the World is a normal JRPG style game, though with modern design sensibilities, it's pretty cool, though I'm only in Chapter 4? I think it is.

Spectral Souls is an SRPG, not a normal JRPG. Solid game all around though. Generation of Chaos is totally not worth it though.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

oneof3steves posted:

Speaking of Disgaea are there any good FFT/Disgaea style games available?

Spectral Souls is about it. It's $15 though, it's really solid however. Only major flaw is the inability to save during a battle, but the battles aren't that long usually so it's not a huge deal if you have to redo one, but it would have been nice if they'd realized Save Anytime is kind of an important mobile feature.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Those reviews are terrible or phone specific problems (or I have the only phone it works on). I posted about a week ago noting the game was solid and cool and while I'm only a couple more chapters ahead I still have no problems with it. Port wise its fantastic, initial load is slow on a MT4G but past that it runs smoothly and no load lag or anything.

The control scheme takes a little getting used to but it's no worse than a virtual D-pad (or better). Well worth picking up for the price especially.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 15, 2012

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I caved in and purchased Final Fantasy III last week. I never play any games on Android, but I needed something new to play and to pass the time. Needless to say, I can't put it down. Here's to hoping that Squenix will release more Final Fantasy titles!

Yeah it's a good old school game, it's just a port of the DS version which is largely "just" a graphics upgrade, but it's a decently fun game. Getting FFT or Disgaea or FF5/6/7 (all platform release of remakes please!) would be real nice though.

It's a little expensive but not out of line for what you get. I paid more than that for the DS version. It's an old game/remake but it's high quality and very long for a phone game, due to being a port. Worth it if you like older Final Fantasy games and don't have it on the DS already.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Tiny Tower is known to lose your progress randomly. Mobage ports tend to be kind of terrible.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Glimm posted:

I just wish I could use my Wii Controller with it. The touch controls aren't very good, or at least I suck at them anyway.

There is actually a virtual D-pad option now if you don't want to gently caress around with the slightly awkward default controls.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's not from Droid Tower I can tell you that much. It doesn't even ask for superuser permission, nor does it trigger something else to ask for superuser permission.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I can pull it up on my computer but it's now claiming it's incompatible with my GS3 despite working perfectly with it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So you're expecting to be really really good or worse? That seems like kind of a silly way of looking at it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

pnumoman posted:

Hooooly poo poo, can someone please confirm my suspicions that Kairobotica is as good as it seems like?

Only like two years in so far but it's great. Pretty much like the comments in the market say it's what Epic Astro Story should have been in a way. I'm wary of late game combat being really stupid like the other combat capable Kairosoft games but I'm optimistic and having fun so far.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You unlock a research lab on like the second planet or so.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

tables posted:

I imagine the Kairobots as the Imperial Guards so the lack of customization doesn't bother me, but it would be nice to be able to give them weapons or armor. I expected to be able to be able to upgrade them like that when I bought the game, but whatever. Game is still fun .

Yeah this is more how I feel after having finished my first game. It's a good game but I'm hoping the next iteration of the mechanics has more to it. The combat is a lot better than past games but is still a bit too shallow. You spend a lot of time just auto attacking (to be fair this is true of a lot of RPGs too). End game combat is a lot better than Dungeon Ville and Astro Story but you're pretty much stuck with using the shield bot later on because it's so ridiculously good. The Dr is up there too since fever will wreck your bots fast.

And my biggest complaint is that the only things that transfer over to New Game + are your unused items and your support bots levels. You still have to unlock the bots but keeping their levels is pretty strong. I would have preferred keeping some of your colony and maybe bot levels or researched upgrades.

All in all I still think it's a really solid game and I don't regret dropping $5 on it but it loses a lot in replay value with what little transfers over and I just hope they take what they learned and added here and refine it further for the next combat game.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Jet Ready Go posted:

Does android/play store credits ever go on sale the way Apple iTunes stuff does?

Apps go on sale plenty, but otherwise no I don't think so.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Can you link it? I can only find the iPhone version.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.edotowns

This item cannot be installed in your device's country.

Screenshots are in Japanese still, though the description is in English, and given that Zo can play it in English, maybe it'll get an official English release soon.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's FF1, 3 is still pretty drat long.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Without the ease of auto updating from the Market and such, since the Bundle versions are sideloaded. Cheaper sure, but there's a downside to that as well.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I already read the op, are there any other decent rpgs or FFT style games for this thing that doesn't require a tablet?

Spectral Souls from the OP is about it for FFT style games. Cthulhu Saves The World is a decent normal RPG. As is Final Fantasy 3.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ I have Spectral Souls and it is, frankly, just too unwieldly to play on phones, and stupidly expensive.

It's expensive, no doubt, though it is in-line cost wise with other DS/PSP ports, but how is it unwieldy, let alone too unwieldy to play on a phone? I finished it on my MT4G and was almost never fighting the interface to get anything done, if anything it's just got too much Stuff. But that's kind of a thing with SRPGs and RPGs in general, so eh. Lots of crafting recipes that you want to go back to a FAQ for since if you screw up you get a poo poo item instead of a failure. Missing out on recruiting a good character because you didn't go the sea path. Things like that are annoying, but the interface never really was.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Generations of Chaos is absolutely terrible in my opinion. It's incredibly obtuse, and even once you get going, there's no real storyline. It's just a battle game. Upgrading your lands is really barebones from what I saw. It's one of the few Android related purchases I really regret. The complete lack of a storyline was a huge killer for me, I was expecting something RPG like and it's just got nothing. That said I only played it for a couple hours, tops, so maybe it gets better somehow.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Cheaper than buying it for the DS new?

It's a well done port, but it's largely the same thing as the DS version, but there are some new story parts to the Android version. So it's technically the slightly better version. Really it's just whichever system you want to play it on more.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Also you guys may be glad to know that Final Fantasy Dimensions comes out on the 31st for Android (and iOS). Prologue is free. Chapters 1 is $3. Chapter 2/3/4 are $10 each. Or get the whole thing for $29.

Release Announcement.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 25, 2012

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

No, it's perfectly reasonable. If it was coming out for a non-smartphone system people wouldn't bat at an eye at it. Except to maybe say it's strangely cheap for a release game. Lots of people have an issue paying $1 or $5 for an app they use every day, it's a big thing companies have to get people over. If they'll pay $60 for a 20 hour game on their $300 console, why won't they pay $10/20/30 for one on their $200(600) pocket computer.

Now whether this particular game is worth it is a whole nother question we'll have to wait on the answer for, but an old school RPG with decent graphics designed for a touch interface sounds good to me (and a job system woop). It's been out in Japan for awhile, so you might be able to dig up some reviews for it already actually. And on the bright side, you can test out the game for free to make sure it runs well on your phone and the interface feels good to you, and even get you hooked for $3 on Chapter 1 before you go dropping the full price on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

HyperDevbox Studio makes two sRPGs that have garnered some good reviews, but they're premium priced at $15 apiece.

And only Spectral Souls has any attempt at a story. Nothing super special, but Generations just has nothing to drive you. Pick a map setting, wipe everyone else out, the end. It's also not much like FFT in game play where as Spectral Souls is pretty much an FFT / Disgaea clone.

• Locked thread