Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BonoMan posted:

It's a pretty spoilery trailer too. I mean, like some people argue, you can pretty much piece together what happens anyway and the book itself wasn't the most complex adventure either (but it sure was fun)... but still... there's a lot given away here.

My cousin won't see a movie unless it's spoilered now. He says it costs so much to do a night out with his wife, that unless he knows whether they're going to like it, they really can't afford to spend the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GonSmithe posted:

Your cousin sounds like a bad person. How many CinemaSins videos does he watch daily?

Did he never hear the expression "It's about the journey, not the destination" in his entire life?

He's not and none.

This is a typical genre trailer from the 50s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5i-PVLMVY

They haven't gotten more spoiler filled.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dillbag posted:

It's sad, but Kiimo will attest to this; the studios know what they're doing and they don't give a poo poo if they spoil the movie for you. The trailers are designed to put butts in seats, and there are way more idiot hellfucker "Yee haw 'spolsions!!!!" movie goer butts than there are intelligent movie lover butts.

Seeing as '1' is infinitely larger than '0', I would agree.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Singular?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec1-3Fjxy0c

Or Plural?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zreNh78kTjg

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Bruce Campbell's Running Time was a good 'one-take' robbery movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alehkhs posted:

What fresh hell is this?

Hell and Back

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXIPHaRq6WU

Orpheus as a stoner puppet show? :wtf:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Young Freud posted:

Holy poo poo, Mad Dog from The Raid is in this.

And it releases in the US on my birthday....

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

kiimo posted:

Mortgage brokers and lenders pushed like crazy to refinance everyone during the interest rate drop and sell them on consolidating their credit card debt with their equity they had built up in their house over the years. So now their new mortgage is big again and all the lenders are forcing their employees to try to put everyone on a 2/5 ARM (which makes the lenders and brokers the most money), where their note rate is fixed for two years but has a pre-payment penalty for five years. I absolutely refused to sell these mortgages and thus got fired from three different companies over the span of three years.

The problem is after the fixed rate period of 2 years, suddenly their rate fluctuates wildly (and almost always goes up) and will do so for the following three years. After three years they can refinance. I was told to tell people don't be alarmed, it was capped at 2% maximum it could go up each year. After some research I found this out to be a bullshit lie. So now people are in the situation where their mortgage payment was skyrocketing. They can't pay their mortgage but hey guess what they can't refinance again, either, because of the pre-payment penalty for five years, hence the 2/5 ARM which is an Adjusted Rate Mortgage fixed for 2 years, with a PPP for 5. Their only choice is to sell their home. But wait, what if nobody is buying? Welp, your only course of action left is to let the lender foreclose or declare bankruptcy. So you lose your home and your credit is hosed for 7 years.

You may have heard about foreclosures and bankruptcies during that time. That's a major cause for the collapse. People with iffy credit struggling to pay off their debts get loans that are a time bomb. Lenders knew that they were screwing people over long-term to help them with revolving debt in the short term. It was bullshit and I was told to let them make their own financial mistakes, it was none of my business what loan they selected. I refused. Most of these people had little to no idea what they were getting into because it was in the best interest of the brokers not to tell them the full implications of the loan. They were just rushing them through the process as fast as possible and hoping the underwriter approved and got them out the door, consequences be damned.

Pure evil.

Thank you. That explains so much about what happened.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm really curious how a trailer is cut actually. How much time do you have to work on a typical one? How far into the shoot do you start getting footage? What kind of guidelines are you given? About how many des a typical company work on a year? That kind of stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I just saw Attack on Titan about an hour ago. It is more batshit insane than you can imagine. My sister and I were both amazed that something like that got shown at a non-art theater in the US.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

teagone posted:

Kiimo requested a music only edit of the new Star Wars trailer and I did my best to deliver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci0C8ggQWys

Thank you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

bows1 posted:

Trailer for Chi-Raq

Looks like is all in spoken word/poetry esque?

Wesley Snipes
Dave Chappelle
John Cusack
Samuel L Jackson
Angela Bassett
Jennifer Hudson
Nick Cannon and more

https://vimeo.com/144523728

edit - Can't embed Vimeo ? drat

If it's Lysistrata it should be in verse.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Lady Naga posted:

Steampunk poo poo gives me a headache.

It was the very start of steampunk before it became a thing. I think James Blaylock's Digging Leviathan was the only modern piece earlier.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

HP is huge and this will get the hype train rolling nicely. Episode 7'a first teaser was thanksgiving last year so year+ teasers are nothing new.

Come to think of it, I wonder what's the longest gap between any teaser/trailer and the actual movie. The original LOTR teaser had dates for all 3, right?

Last Starfighter was almost two and a half years between trailer and release.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I absolutely hate Deadpool in comics, but I really want to see this movie. :psyduck:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Vegetable posted:

What the hell am I watching

An extension of the concepts first explored in 'Penn and Teller Get Killed'?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

DivisionPost posted:

It's soapgish. This dude once argued that Lana Wachowski had nothing left in the creative tank because "losing your sole struggle in life [transitioning to a woman] is a sword in the heart for an artist." He's a loon, he's not worth it, and I learned that the hard way.

What the gently caress? This has got be in the top one thousand stupidest things.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of that, what's the worst example of a trailer giving everything away?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xSo2MEPzQ

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The internet has done a lot for increasing rage about spoilers. I love them personally. I don't have a lot of time to see movies in the theater and I need to pick and choose for ones I'll enjoy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well at least Wimmer redeemed himself and your granddad's soul with writing credits on such projects as Street Kings, Law-Abiding Citizen, and the Total Recall/Point Break remakes
As we all remember well the best part of Equilibrium was the writing

Salt was good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Megasabin posted:

If you think that a movie's plot can't be spoiled because it's not out yet, then I really don't have to continue this conversation any further lol. Also, yes, I would prefer not to have any aspect of a film's plot spoiled, even if it is just a big summer blockbuster. Even if you don't care, perhaps it's a view point you could understand if you think about it hard enough.

No I still don't understand after thinking about it. Spoilers are how I decide whether I'm going to spend money on a movie when it first comes out or whether I'll wait.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

BonoMan posted:

Doctor Strange trailer.

No idea what the comic/story is about but it looks kinda cool to me.

Also Tilda Swinton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ

I'm ready.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I said Rollins would make a great Cable too and goons laughed at me :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I didn't like Drive. I really wanted to, but somehow it didn't work for me and I hated Only God Forgives. I'm still going to see Neon Demon because there has to be something in Refn's direction that makes people go crazy for his stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Syncopated posted:

I do like those things. The Pusher trilogy doesn't really have them, but if you want to watch desperate criminals gently caress up they're good movies imo. Valhalla rising hasn't been mentioned yet, thats good as well.

I 've liked Bronson the most out of his stuff. I have the same feeling toward Refn as I do over the Coens. They are fantastic filmmakers, but I just can't connect with their movies somehow. Still I keep trying because I must be missing something? With the Coens at least I've liked Raising Arizona, True Grit, and Hail Ceasar. With Refn, just Bronson so far. I'll probably see Neon Demon, but I have no idea whether I'll be pissed at myself afterwards (like after Only God Forgives).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

effectual posted:

Would you call Marlon Brando's role in The Freshman "stunt casting" or necessary for the movie?

Necessary :colbert: Carmine is goddamn awesome. That is my favorite Brando movie just because he actually looks like he's enjoying himself and the movie he's in.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Moxie Crimefighter Jillette

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

The MSJ posted:

Not exactly a trailer, but here is Jeff Goldblum shedding the light on a rumor about him from 1996.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyEcjLFZ0Q8

A National Treasure...Mr. Jeff Goldblum

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
In the Company of Men

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Hollismason posted:

That's actually a adaptation of the novel The Fingersmith. I had heard about this good to see a trailer.

Fingersmith? Oh gently caress I am so there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

effectual posted:

Most other medics carry guns? What happened to the hippocratic oath?

Medics aren't doctors. They sure as hell carry weapons. Nowadays they carry M4s most of the time if they're attached as combat unit support.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bugblatter posted:

The Handmaiden trailer does resemble the final film in style and mood, yes. Extremely stylish editing is a staple of Park Chan Wook's films, the music is from the film, and this is not a movie for someone who wants a typical historical drama. It's also a bit of a difficult film to cut a trailer for, since it's appeal leans so heavily on dark and graphic content. It's violent, it's sleek, it's cool. And like all Park's films, it's pretty hosed up.

Handmaiden is also based on Fingersmith which is an amazingly hosed up novel and the reason I will be waiting in line at the ticket booth opening day.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The one wolf making ping noises saved that trailer.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

It absolutely is. I like Raising Arizona, their True Grit, and Hail Caesar. All their other movies I just can't stand. I've seen all of them too, because a lot of people whose tastes are otherwise similar to my own say 'You have to see this one..." and three times they've been right.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Automatic Slim posted:

Not understanding what this is about was a big plus. The reveal that it's Fantastic 4 with Gatling guns was disappointing.

Monster truck races with T-80 tanks and robo-scorpions shooting down Hinds sold me on this. The bear is just a bonus.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And Carey said the ending of the movie was going to stay faithful to the book. I've been looking forward to this one for awhile.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Apparently there was some studio pushback against the original ending.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

That was a fun movie. Ron Perlman makes everything better, even Police Academy 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ruddiger posted:

E: Trailer for a new zed movie called "The Girl With All The Gifts." Looks like they're really running with some of the themes and ideas brought up in 28 Weeks Later and expanded upon in Alan Moore's Crossed +100 The second or third arc deals with a girl named Future raising an infected child named "Hearted" in the remnants of the old world and the beginnings of the new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjGkB_oWTe0

The novel it's based on is absolutely fantastic.

• Locked thread