Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

davidspackage posted:

I've a special love for trailers that are far better than the movie they advertize.

I still love the second trailer released for Clash of the Titans (the remake), even though the movie is boring.

I love mythology and this trailer got my hopes up that the movie would at least be bad-rear end, entertaining, and full of gods and monsters loving poo poo up. Instead it was 2 hours of Sam Worthington making a mopey face, with some lackluster action scenes thrown in.

Seriously, how can you have such a great trailer for such a boring, poo poo movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Not a lot of trailers have stood out to me, but there are a few that I still watch sometimes because they just did such a good job of selling me on the movie. One is the long trailer for the recent Star Trek reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ETDE0VGJY4

The music, the imagery, the Bruce Greenwood voice over at the start :swoon:. I was never a fan of Star Trek growing up and aside from random snippets of TOS or TNG, I never watched any of the shows. I'd seen a few of the films when they came on cable at random times, but not because I went looking for them. I know a lot of people feel like it's just a random science fiction/action movie with Star Trek signifiers pasted on, or dislike Abrams take on the mythology, but the trailer (and the movie) got me into Star Trek in a way that nothing else did before.

And the other trailer I really like is the one for The Fountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAuxryJ6pv8

Love or hate the actual movie (my friends and I still have debates to this day over just what the gently caress the plot was and whose viewpoint it was from) I felt like the trailer did a good job of selling the film and piquing interest, although the tone of the trailer didn't exactly match up to the overall tone of the film.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

First trailer for Django Unchained got leaked early: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/django-unchained-trailer

I'm not the biggest QT fan, but this does look pretty cool and everyone involved is a pretty good actor, so I'll probably check it out. The music is about what you'd expect for a QT movie trailer, although the way it's cut seems a little slicker than his previous films. DiCaprio in particular seems like he's enjoying the role, and it's nice to see him make something besides a scrunched up frowny face in a movie. And while it would've been cool to see Will Smith in a QT film, I can't see him being able to not smile or look smug or cool long enough to do the character justice in this one.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 6, 2012

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

World War Z trailer dropped today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

Looks interesting, I'm curious to see how they rationalize the hyperactive zombies that can apparently flow around corners like water. Would've preferred a format more resembling the dispatch/chronicle format of the book, but take what you can get I guess. The fact that Lindelof even got his hands on the script worries me, but Drew Goddard did Cabin in the Woods, so I have a small modicum of hope. Brad Pitt is Brad Pitt, of course. Apparently there are plans to make a trilogy out of this, so I'm curious to see how they end this one and set up a sequel.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

International trailer for The Wolverine just dropped this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzZP-_Ssc

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Pineapple Express. TBF, the movie is fairly entertaining, if uneven, but the red band trailer is just so perfect that the movie can't live up to it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

Good grief Benedict Cumberbatch is in everything. Did his wife die too or something?

Dude has a HUGE (internet) following due to the BBC Sherlock series. I mean, you can't swing a stick on Tumblr or Twitter or Facebook without running into it, and lots of movies are taking advantage of it right now to leverage some extra asses in seats. I don't find it to be too egregious (although his casting as Khan in Star Trek was obviously fan service and a terrible choice to boot), but it is getting to the point of incredulity with how much stuff he's in.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Donald Sutherland is channeling some serious crazy in that trailer and I'm diggin' it. The rest looks pretty generic YA action whatever. It also seems like Jennifer Lawrence is phoning it in given how much better her performances are in just about every other movie.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Well I'm glad I watched this in a brightly lit room first thing in the morning rather than late at night alone because JESUS CHRIST. :stonk:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's totally Serkis.

Why is Serkis in everything now? Nothing against the guy, I generally think he's alright in most stuff (although I didn't see the most recent Apes movie). Just seems like he's made a big jump from background and/or MoCap guy to significant parts in a lot of big budget franchises.

New SW trailer was good, the Claymore-saber was nifty, looking forward to seeing Boyega tear poo poo up. That shot of the X-wings flying just above the deck across water though...:black101:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Surprised to see so much hate for the trailer. The best thing I can say about is it changed my expectation of the film from "bad bad" to "good bad"

Ditto. It's looks leaps and bounds better than what I would've expected after those terrible press photos.

Although, I have to laugh at how much they keep dialing up the facial scarring on future-version John Conner. It went from a noticeable eye scar in T2 to somewhat overblown scarring in T3 & T4 and now it's just laughable. If they make another one after this I half expect them to just have half his face ripped off by a T-800.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tom Cruise is 52 years old but you'd never loving know it.

There are a few unflattering shots in that trailer where he looks bloated and/or a little jowly, but yeah he's in better shape than most 30 years old I know. Being rich and having laser focus work wonders for maintaining your youthful figure, I guess.

This looks like it'll be entertaining, I'm glad they stuck with Cruise as the lead instead of Renner, who is bland as all get out to me.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Alec Baldwin is only 4 years older than Cruise. What a difference.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 23, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

That looks terrible and I say that as someone who came of age religiously watching any and every airing of Entourage every single week, including reruns. The only interesting parts were skinny Turtle (who I hope gets some shine off of this) and the various camos they're going to shoehorn in.

It must be painful for Jeremy Piven to have done this and realize his career will never be anything more than playing some variation of "Ari Gold".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Full length Ant-Man trailer dropped today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdKf3MneyI

Design for Yellowjacket looks cool, and I think Peter Russo can pull off menacing very well, the rest of it looks very bland. Too bad Edgar Wright didn't stick around, would've loved to see what he could do with this cast.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXsQkWwFftk

Boy does this movie look loving not good

What the gently caress are they even planning with this franchise at this point? I'm presuming this movie will end with Sarah Conner and Kyle Reese riding off into the sunset to fight more Terminators but why is John Connor a robot now? Why is he back in the 80s or present day or whatever the gently caress era this is in? Do the machines somehow win after he sends Kyle Reese back? Does the savior of humanity turn traitor?

I have a lot of questions, but none pressing enough to get me to spend money on this, barring some kind of miracle of filmmaking that keeps it from being complete trash. They spoiled the best twist of the movie in the goddamn trailer.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 13, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

It seems like the Terminator folks heard about the internet wide disappointment that they bailed on the original ending for T4, then brainstormed on how to shoehorn that into another time travel plot while making it as "edgy" and Genysys is the result.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Jesus Christ that shot of the Star Destroyer.

I'm in. I don't care how much lens flare JJ Abrams shoehorns in.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is Statham really worth that much anymore? It feels like half the stuff I see him in is DTV nowadays.

He might not be pulling in megabucks, but he built that franchise. It doesn't really work without him and despite the fancy stuff they pulled in the trailer it just looks so lackluster. Statham is a solid actor and he knows enough to stick to action films or comedy stuff like the Spy where he adds something to the movie, or at least doesn't drag it down. The new main dude looks like a slightly buffed up Abercrombie model. At least Statham had some presence and could actually fight, which meant that the fight scenes were at least the price of admission.

Immortan posted:

How does he go from John Wick to this?

This looks terrible, but it's Eli Roth, what else would you expect?

Reeves is at a point in his career where he can do whatever he wants. Yeah this will suck, but if making forgettable, crap movies is what it takes to finance another Man of Tai Chi or whatever, so be it.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 5, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Want more Henry Cavill (and also Armie Hammer)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzOhTL0a440

This looks great.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Fantastic 4 final trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgnQdiZFsQ

:psyduck: just tell me the goddamn plot of the film! How do they expect anyone to get excited about the movie if they keep the plot as vague and generic seeming as possible. The most I can possibly get out of it is that they are fighting Doctor Doom. For what reason I have no idea. What stakes? No idea. What does Doom want? No idea.

This looks terrible, although I don't see why people are hating on the VFX so much. It looks like any other generic super hero movie.

This one is cut better, although someone should have the good sense to get rid of that hilariously bad "He's stronger than all of us" line. Also it looks like Sue Storm is going to be stuck with force shields and pushing stuff around again? She has arguably the coolest powers out of all four of them and it's always this poo poo. Lame. Interesting choice to have the Thing keep the actor's voice without modification.

I'd love a F4 movie that just dove right into their mythology, especially any of the Hickman stuff. Do Council of Reeds. Do any of the stories where it's shown that Doom is crazy but so is Reed and the only thing grounding Reed is his family. Literally any story other than the F4 origin story would be better. I mean, how many times does this poo poo have to be laid out? If you HAVE to have it, do a quick flashback and then move on.

I don't think this will tank, but it's not going to be memorable, which sucks because I really like MJB and Trank, but whatever.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

American Ultra just keeps looking better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAmChN-wHv8

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Ave Azaria posted:

I wanna say it was the first fun goofy comedy to come out after 9/11. A healing film.

It got kinda overshadowed in the the wake of everything after 9/11 but just by dint of word of mouth and being played on TV constantly it's become super popular. I mean, it's not for everybody, but from 2002-2006 you couldn't go anywhere without people quoting Zoolander, making a Zoolander reference, etc.

I had low expectations for the trailer, but I honestly laughed at the little references during the brain imagery part and at the ending. Fingers crossed it'll be good, or at least not so bad as to ruin the original.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Skizzzer posted:

It definitely was huge for the younger demographics when it came out (teen - early thirties maybe) but didn't end up lasting long (probably due to the sequels) and was more of a fad compared to Zoolander (people still reference blue steel, ^ male models, center for ants, etc). In hindsight, I wouldn't say it had the same cultural impact as Zoolander though.

I haven't seen Ant-Man, but there are some screencaps floating around of a diorama in the movie that includes a replica of the "center for ants" from Zoolander. Zoolander doesn't work for everyone, but as far as cultural touchstones go it's got some significance.

Edit: Here you go

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 3, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

effectual posted:

Old School was another good comedy around 2000 that hasn't gotten a sequel.

Old School is another one of those movies that I will watch whenever it's on TV and will probably always find funny due to nostalgia and how much I associate it with being a dumb 19 year old, but I sincerely hope they never make a direct sequel. We got a spiritual successor in Wedding Crashers, and probably one that's better than we deserve.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I read somewhere that Jlaw refused to do the most of the movie in Mystique make-up and the studio had to acquiesce given her newfound clout. Any credence to that or is it just the internet rumor mill?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Let's check in on Danny Glover's career while we're at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAO8VYrqo8I

Starring, written, co-directed and co-produced by some Australian guy called Rob Baard who hilariously has three sequels to this godawful movie 'announced' on his imdb page.
Danny Glover wasn't originally part of this movie at all but when Baard was trying to secure a US release the distribution company arranged for a star to be attached to the project and they hired Glover, so Baard flew to Hollywood and spent a day filming Glover reading lines in front of a greenscreen, colourkeyed him onto some office backgrounds, shoehorned the new scenes into the film and cut a new trailer.
THAT'S ENT-ER-TAINMENT!

Danny Glover will do anything for a check that he can contribute towards his pipe dream of making a Louverture film, this ain't surprising at all.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Hardcore Henry anti-texting/talking PSA for Alamo Drafthouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVCkI5C_qNI

Great Sharlto Copley impression. Too bad their food sucks now though.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Wow, really? What the hell is up with his hair?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I stand corrected! I saw the song referenced as being performed by the Vega Choir and they didn't have it. drat, looks like I got myself a project this weekend. Time to re-watch some trailers for that trailer playlist.

Others I remember right now:
Dracula Untold (everybody wants to rule the world)
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (immigrant song)
A Walk Among The Tombstones (black hole sun)
San Andreas (california dreaming)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (Pinocchio :v:)
Watchmen (technically a remix, but I'll allow it)
The Great Gatsby had a several in the movie, odds are the trailer had one.
The Donnie Darko version of Mad World is not a trailer song, otherwise it'd be on there.

Feel free to give me some more suggestions for moody/bombastic cover songs featured in trailers.

Ready or Not from the MI:5 trailer, although I dunno if that's actually a cover or just a slapdash edit.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Rurea posted:

Are there any famous examples?

Orlando Bloom in Troy and Daniel Radcliffe in the upcoming Now You See Me sequel are the two most recent ones that come to mind.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM
I dunno, I think it looks pretty good.

The wifi joke is pretty cringey, though.

Looks decent, nice roster of talent. I wish they'd put the "EPIC CGI MAGICAL STRUGGLE" thing before the title card and ended the trailer with the joke stinger, as it is the trailer ends on a weird note.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I swore not to give Marvel any more money, but this looks so good. Controversies aside, it might be the most interesting Marvel movie to date.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

The effects on Javier Bardem look surprisingly bad, considering all the other CG looks pretty good.

I thought the CGI looked fine? The underwater float effect was nifty, although I think they went a bit overboard on Bardem's face.

Nthing that POTC would be way more interesting without Depp, or even as a Netflix series or something.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Skizzzer posted:

So is Rogue One a prequel to the OT? Does that mean all of these guys are going to die? :(

I hope that they all die, even the handsome space nazi with the cloak. Honestly, I'm sick to death of the Star Wars insular universe bullshit where everyone is related to everyone else or their parents were next door neighbors to their greatest enemy's grandparents or some poo poo. Just let these random rebel mooks do their job and die in service of a cause larger than themselves. The story will be better for it.

They've been knocking it out of the park with these trailers, and they even have Mads Mikkelsen doing some solid supporting role work, so I'm probably gonna see this in the theater more than once over the holidays.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Hey you people! Are you stoked yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ziu6JzJTZ0

This is well on its way into becoming a Saints Row movie.

I never got the appeal of the XXX movies, and I was in the core 18-24 year old male demographic when the first two came out. This looks like more of the same, except 15 years behind on the popular culture references and trends, while Vin Diesel looks even doughier and less convincing as someone with any sort of physical prowess. I'll buy his shtick for the F&F movies, but that's about it.

Glad to see Donnie Yen getting more work stateside, but hard pass.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Well, I went from "why the gently caress are they making another Kong movie" to "I guess I'm seeing in IMAX on opening day", so good job on the trailer.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

X-O posted:

Huh, this is not what I was expecting at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHgzkQM2Sg

This looks pretty good, definitely of a better caliber than I was expecting. I'm a big fan of The Mummy and The Mummy Returns from the late 90s, but it'll be interesting to see a different take on the same story.

Also between this, Oblivion, and Edge of Tomorrow, does anyone else get the sense that Tom Cruise is working out some fear of mortality issues?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The imagery looks good, and most of the jokes actually landed, but man I'm tired of hearing "Power" in trailers. It really didn't fit here at all, and it was completely out of sync with the cuts in the last half of the trailer. I went from somewhat impressed to distracted and annoyed.

Finally, a good Wolverine movie. Too bad it took 15 years and the tail end of Hugh Jackman's run to get it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Timby posted:

There's something about some of those monsters that really reminds me of the MUTOs.

Isn't the new Kong movie supposed to be in the same universe as the most recent (American) Godzilla flick? Similarities in design probably aren't an accident.

feedmyleg posted:

How are we not talking about his new Kong: Skull Island trailer yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

e: especially because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52Xp5ZarjQ

This looks like a blast. Any other movie I might be worried that they blew all the best payoff scenes on the trailer, but somehow I don't think that'll be a problem here. Who did the Animals cover that they used in the trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I liked it better when it was called Book of Life, but I'm sure this will do numbers anyway.

• Locked thread