Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I think the 200 W "TDP" and the pricing for the new Xbox is believable. Think how many extra controllers and logic is culled by this just having one memory controller (instead of separate for CPU/GPU like on PCs) and everything else is off the SoC (SATA for disk drive, PCIe for storage/wireless and basic IO) so no need for south bridge / logic / physical space. It's not comparable to PCs that ship with extra traces, logic at all. My graphics card has features and ports that I rarely use (lights, extra fan controller, USB-port? why) and on a product you make millions the $0,02 for extra output/connector makes a difference in both power and BOM cost when you pile them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

apropos man posted:

I have a Sapphire RX570 (4GB Nitro+) that I've been using, mainly to drive my TV. Also for the odd bit of 1080p gaming.

A month or two ago it started glitching in and out of a whitenoise pattern (like the HBO logo). Often it will display Windows again and occasionally it will fall back to a green screen until I reboot by manually holding the power button. If I play GTA V it often seems like all is well, until maybe 2 or 5 minutes into gameplay when the game just shits out and dumps me back into Steam. If I just use it to watch YouTube it could be fine for 3 or 4 hours.

I've re-installed Windows 2 or 3 times. I just had the thought that I should strip the air cooler off it tonight and re-apply paste to the die. Will MX-5 suffice? That's all I have to hand.

I've stripped the cooler off a card before, and it should be a half-hour job. Any other ideas what the fault may be, if it's not the paste that's dried out? I'm guessing it's 4 years old.
Try disabling the DHCP. I get HBO-like screen if I have it enabled, I don't use Netflix etc. on my computer so it's fine.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/disable-hdcp-with-latest-radeon-software-driver/td-p/248602

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Does anyone know where I could find a stock NVIDIA FE cooler for 2080Ti / 2080? The only card I could find locally that was reasonable priced is one of those blower card and the FE cooler looks like to be decent when it comes to cooling / size.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Harik posted:

it's utterly fantastic for VMs because you can partition the USB controller out and not have to forward from the host device-by-device or blow a precious PCIe slot on a standalone controller.
I never get the audio or USB to not to stutter. Any tips?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Harik posted:

yeah, send me a 6xxx series card and I'll figure it out for you :v

I've only half-heartedly looked for one since I don't really have any time to game until april.
Turing cards also have USB-C controllers.

On my computer with kvm it's just stuttery mess, mouse just skips around and frequent audio stutters, even after enabling MSI. :sigh:

I have a separate M.2 USB card for that reason.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

bus hustler posted:

I did put a 3rd party cooler on the stock 2080ti and I love it, the one I had was a blower (!) that was incredibly loud and hot. I was able to get a really easy auto-overclock just by essentially fixing the thermals. If yours is a solid 3 fan version I'm sure you'll be fine..
I've got blower 2080ti too and I've been trying to find FE cooler. None of the aftermarket ones will fit in my case (2 slots and very limited space)

I'd buy newer FE card if they were available in my country. The only reasonable sized cards like EVGA and Gigabyte Eagle are in short supply too. :sigh:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I reached out to Fauxtool to buy GPU, just because FEs are not available around here. In my case "fair scalping" means breaking stupid region locks.

I'd otherwise try to get one from Germany or France but that still requires playing with 3rd party mailbox services AND gaming the drop system. Buying stuff is too hard ityool 2021.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Sold my 2080Ti (sadly mostly unused) to friend for the same amount I paid last December and got a 1060 3 GB in trade. Free GPU yay?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
If it's for plex, just pick up Quadro P400, they're plenty and cheap on eBay. Low profile, NVENC enabled.

For the latest and greatest, it seems like there's new Turing gen coming up: https://geizhals.eu/pny-t400-vcnt400-pb-a2522812.html

Should be cheap enough (150 currency or so new)

E: oh it was not for Plex. Good job me reading the thread

Kivi fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 11, 2021

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Biowarfare posted:

I'm still looking for a mildly affordable low profile single slot GPU with a sub-40W constraint and a "heatsink/fan does not extend over the height of the bracket" size constraint, with some kind of encoder/decoder - h264, 1080p60, single session is enough. AMD AMF or NVENC both work.

I bought a GT 730 2GB GDDR5 on eBay and was sent a flashed counterfeit that lied about its firmware/model, lol.
Quadro P400/P600/P620/T400/T600

Should be around hundred on eBay depending on the moon and tide and stuff.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

VorpalFish posted:

Kinda sucks cause afaik, the fe is the only true 2 slot 3080 aside from water cooled or blowers for those that need that for compatibility reasons.
Yup, and if they're only availabe in the US, UK, Germany and France. Basically only sane sized cards in my market are EVGA (XC2 / XC3 non-Ultra) and a some Gigabyte models. I think the blower models were discontinued too.

Edit: I think this is the biggest offender: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3070-gaming-x-trio/3.html

Why does it have to be so tall :psyduck:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Looking for cheap cards, you should have a look at Quadros too, I just installed K2200 (that I got for $free) on my system and it scored 1200 on Firestrike, which is as fast as GT1030 would be.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

repiv posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition-pictured

3080ti FE uses the 3080 cooler, not the thicc 3090 cooler if anyone was wondering

I suppose that's a good thing for SFF builders who absolutely need a 2 slot card
I hope they'll bump the price so it can be sold around here too. I don't mind paying extra for non-gaming looks and feel.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I wouldn't mind having one or two for my Plex box instead of hunting down cheap used cards. I wonder if in virtual machine the VBIOS (or whatever was missing) could be injected that stops it from working in a non-Intel PC?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Tenchrono posted:

The used market is absolutely insane:. I listed my 1080ti on ebay the other day and the bids are already up to $650. :psyduck: thats more than what I paid for it.
I bought Titan Xp locally for half. I guess the seller didn't know what he had

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Combat Pretzel posted:

"This one" as in this model, or "this one" as in this single one available card?
If you didn't know / as funny anecdote, NVIDIA made special edition 2080ti for Cyberpunk release: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353733255547?hash=item525c25217b:g:3jwAAOSwtjhhb8UG. The cooler and shroud separate was going for thousand earlier this year.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Is there any other way to control the RGB on my card other than EVGA Precision X? It refuses to start on my desktop. I'm on Windows 11 if it matters.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I use my 2080s USB-C for my monitor. I like it and wish more cards would have it. The only cards that have USB-C now "available" are the 6-series AMD Radeon reference designs.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

repiv posted:

GPUs only output digital audio so all the quality-affecting analog conversion is happening in the monitor

Maybe your monitor has decent audio but nobody tests that so it's a complete crapshoot

My Dell monitor had shockingly bad audio quality on the head phone output socket. Super tinny and awful. Maybe it was "tuned" for voice / office use?

E: Vacuum tubes on MBs eat awful lot of space so they're not as convenient, see https://global.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?auno=53 :v:

Kivi fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 7, 2022

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

CoolCab posted:

no it's just insanely fuckin cheap because no one bothers to test or shop on them. a bit like front panel audio really - if you're the kind of person who it would bother you'd never use it anyway.
They sell speakers for these monitors so I'd guess it wouldn't be that awful? However the GPU audio for me is unusable - my GPU passthrough setup has it always stuttering. Same with cheap USB DACs, the only ones that work properly are with separate wall warts for power, for some reason.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

grack posted:

What's up fellow "I strapped a pair of 120mm Noctua fans to my 2080's heatsink so it would run quieter" Goon
I did the same, but with Asus (Vega 56) Strix. They have handy 4-pin fan connectors at the end of the card so it's stupid easy.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
There are only two vendors who make sufficient small enough card for my application so I'm bit worried that this trend where GPUs consume more power and are even bigger means that there won't by any cards at all next gen that fit in my cases (nothing special, a Fractal R6 with storage layout, just with all the other PCI slots filled in with stuff and NCase v5) and I should just buy something already. It just happens that EVGA has no or low availability around here and FE cards are region locked out of my country so I might as well wait for the unicorn 4-series/7-series/ARC whatever that will fit in regular double wide full height full length PCI slot.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I just hope that the new 4000-series FEs are offered in my market (the Nordics) and retain their compact size. 3-series were not, and the only sane sized AIB ones were the EVGA XC3s that would fit in my obscure selection of a cases (Fractal Design R6, Ncase M1)

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

repiv posted:

"founders edition" carries a similar implication and those aren't really limited either
Yeah they are. Region locked, only AIBs available in the Nordics for example. Maybe that's what Intel is planning to do too :v:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
The solution for these power issues is already solved and engineered, it's twin 8 pin EPS plugs.

Basically, cheaper RTX6000 with half the RAM, not this gamer cargo cult oversized RGB junk.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Snagged one ex-miner A4000 for cheap. Should be good fit for either of my cases (Fractal Design R6, early rev NCase M1) as FE's were not available around here and everything else is huge gaming poo poo. 140 W TDP :toot:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The A4000 doesn't quite match the 3070 performance, though it can get kind of close if you overclock it (source: steve walton's review). It seems there's some decent overclocking headroom there, even with the locked voltages.

Just be prepared for the card to be very loud, even at stock. It's a typical noisy workstation blower gpu.
Wait, is HWU same as TehcSpot? I watched this before buying https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEagFvmjW4w

I don't mind the loudness. My current card is already loud so I already game with headphones or in another room so it's fine. I plan to do some airflow mods to exhaust the air bit better.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

repiv posted:

nvidia did actually do a short PCB with extended power connector on the GTX1060 FE and i recall everyone hating it, and they never did it again

Actually, this is how short PCB Quadros (basically, every x4000 Quadro in existence) have been built, even to the latest A4000s.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 1060FE PCB is just P4000 with lesser RAM.

E: had to check, and they do match.

Kivi fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 8, 2022

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
My 2080 FE has rattly fan and I’ve been meaning to replace them but I’m having hard time removing the hot glue on the connectors. Any tips? I’ve tried acetone on a q-tip but it hasn’t made any meaningful effect on it.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

v1ld posted:

The laptop's got DDR5, so that's one gap closed. Will test soon.

This is an interesting slide from the 3070Ti mobile vs desktop chip comparison video:

I.e., about 50% more efficient fps/W in this particular comparison, though I hope that's comparing total system power not TGP. Wonder what that looks like for the Deck if you normalize to 800p. Have to imagine they made other choices to optimize battery usage.
I wonder how the RTX A4000 compares to this. It's essentially the same part, but with 140 W TDP single slot format on desktop.

I paid around $550 for mine some moons ago so I could fix fans on my 2080Super, but I ended up selling the fixed 2080 and kept the not-Quadro. The only issue so far is that the RTX Quadro Experience (or whatever) doesn't list Games, just productivity apps so I can't "optimize" the eye candy easy.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Uncharted was fine at first, but latest NVIDIA drivers have broken it several times on my system. Had to roll back drivers and hack stuff (wade through the Steam forums to find information what lines to comment out / edit on the config files)

Being adult and having less time to play means completing these games takes months and during that time drivers get auto updated several times. :sigh:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alguJBl-R3I&t=827s

I'd be super smug about my $500 A4000 but it recently started blue screening while watching youtube. :negative:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I'm tempted to pick up these 2nd hand A2000 that have started to pop up at around $200. I don't need it for anything, but it's such a neat card.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Paul MaudDib posted:

Power will come way down due to factory underclock - 3070 was a 220W TBP in its gaming incarnation and 140W in the A4000 with the single-slot blower (boost clock is specified at 1560 MHz) despite actually having a few more cores unlocked (same as 3070 Ti, but with GDDR6).
I have one and yup. It slots between 3060Ti and 3070 as stock as it's heavily power limited. With shunt mod, slight undervolt (getting that stable is a chore) and cooling upgrade it can reach 3070ti performance, but at that point you're throwing 3rd party cooling, time and mods on a neat tiny card that's no longer tiny and neat.

It's not even that loud stock, the previous generation Turing card had bigger power budget and was louder. Loudest of the bunch is still surprisingly the A2000 with it's smaller size blower.

Yudo posted:

I'm tired of gigantic cards too, though not enough that I would ever pay for a blower card on my personal work PC.
I made my tiny A4000 into one of these stupid monster cards with RGB :v:

There's A2000 doing it's duty as antisag device underneath.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Bought one of those silly lil ARC 310 cards from Sparkle and it's mostly fine but it has the worlds most annoying oscillating fan. Apparently this is a FW fault, so I was thinking if I could just unplug the fan until they fix that FW.

I'm assuming that these Intel ARC cards thermally throttle normally and can handle running without fan for short periods? Apparently sensors don't work on Linux yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

YerDa Zabam posted:

CoreCtrl or CoolerControl no good?
Rather than just unplug it, could you extend the wire to a motherboard header and control it from that instead maybe?
With a series of adapters I set it to run at constant 5V. It's still noisey but moves air and I suppose the card won't cook in long term, until they fix the firmware.

I suppose Intel isn't that great anymore when it comes to Linux, I can't get my UW DTD timings to work on it; using HDMI it insists on being 1080p120 screen, which is the max on the DMT timings table. Plugging adapters mDP -> DP -> active HDMI and it just works. :psyduck: Left a message on their bug tracker. So 2 days with arc, 2 firmware / driver bugs already. Ought to be smooth sailing from now on.