Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

I'm looking at that one too, I don't like the blower cooler but the warranty is unparalleled and transferable. I'm still rocking a 4770 card with a sandy bridge cpu so this would be one hell of an upgrade. But.. My... budget... :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

Get a 560Ti, then. It still rocks the socks of any 1080p display and is right around the $200 mark right now, and often hits $180-$190 on sale.

Thanks, this seems like a reasonable suggestion. I'm on 1920x1200 right now though, so my situation is a little bit complicated. I'd like to get smooth performance in modern games this year at native resolution - stuff like Tribes and Witcher 2 and especially Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2. The transferable warranty is important to me because I plan to resell and move away from gaming as a hobby as part of a lifestyle shift when I relocate in ~6 months.

How much of a IQ/effects sacrifice would I be making if I went with a 560ti?

edit:
580 used, interesting suggestion!

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 16, 2012

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Wait, so to get the sweet particle effects in borderlands I'd need the 660 and another nvidia card or can you just run it off of one?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Animal posted:

You can run it off one. Its just much faster to unload it to an extra card.

Thanks for the clarification.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 18, 2012

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

For Premiere's Mercury Engine, the one that does rendering, it's still mostly Nvidia-only with only a few official Radeons in Macbook Pros. Hacking in support for Nvidia cards is easy, but hacking in support for Radeons is not.

For Photoshop's Mercury Engine (a different one), that's OpenCL based and works on pretty much everything, with a larger list of officially supported GPUs which includes even Intel Ivy Bridge IGPs.

Thank you! I searched myself like a real grown-up Internet user and found the info so I edited out my question (too late to save you the trouble) but this puts my mind at ease.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

That's really crazy, I assume that hasn't changed with modern cards? I usually keep my second (lower resolution) monitor off when I'm not using it but I'm not keen in a tangible power bill increase so would I have to disable it via windows to get a card to run idle?

Edit:

Factory Factory posted:

1) As I said, it's much less of a problem with current cards because there are more power states available. Plus they use less power in general.

2) i5-2500, right? Use the IGP.

Some of us are on P67 motherboards so that wouldn't be an option, right?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

I have said multiple times ITT and in the past few pages that current-gen cards (and last-gen Radeons, for that matter) are much less affected because 1) they use less power than the GeForce 480 and 580 in that link, and 2) they have more discrete power states to switch to, vs. that 580 that just goes straight to Full On.

Since the limitation is also related to TMDS and RAMDAC generators, you can skip the problem entirely by using only DisplayPort outputs on the card, no DVI, HDMI, or VGA. Stating the obvious: this only works if your card has enough DP outputs to cover every monitor you want to plug in. And you can't use any passive adapter dongles, since that just passes signals from the TMDS or RAMDAC generators.

Yes.

Sorry to make you reiterate your exposition on this topic, but that's what you get for being both knowledgeable and helpful! Thanks for dispelling my ignorance and confusion.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
How is the value on the GTX 660? Mercury engine playback support for Premiere CS6 would be nice, and it seems to be quite a bit faster than the 7850, but I'm not seeing it recommended here.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 16, 2012

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Alereon posted:

Isn't Mercury only supported on Fermi (GTX 400/500) cards? I thought we didn't get support on Kepler until the GTX 700-series.

My understanding was that it works fine with a simple hack, but I'm not positive. The Adobe forums would seem to confirm this.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 16, 2012

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Support for the 680 was just added in an update. I re ran an encode I did right before the switch from software to hardware. Software only (i7 3770k oc'd to 4.3) a 60 minute video being encoded to 480p from a mix of 1080i hdv and 1080p h.264 footage took 15 minutes..with hardware (gtx 680), 7 minutes.

Did they add support for the lower end cards? 680 is waaaayyyy outside budget.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
The alternative is only $30, can't you just return and replace?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
What's the consensus on expectations for the 5000x series launch? I've gotten into VR and my laptop GPU is struggling. Considering a build with an upcoming super card but if 5000x drops later this year I'd feel like a fool.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

hark posted:

Kind of a broad question, but I'm having an issue: using a 4090 to send signal out of resolume to an LED wall (theatrixx xvision nomad 2.5) that was pretty big, everything went fine, but on day 3 of it running, started getting some flickering and artifacts happening. Then this past Friday, got the same issue on just a regular 4k monitor, with no LED wall. This is all according to the techs who were on site with this machine. I have not been able to recreate the issue with stress tests or anything else. Any ideas on what this could be?

No, but hmu over pms if you ever want to talk video art/vj stuff.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
So how do these launches work? Do we preorder from somewhere or is it a free for all on launch Day?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Any idea as to when we will get benchmarks?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, the whole first system is sorta the tutorial so its simpler. The world gets more detailed and I'm not sure if the demo has the later ambient stuff they added via patches. I don't think it ever gets as detailed as Freelancer though which did that better than most games (the only comparable since then I can think offhand is indie 2D stuff like Starsector or 3030 Deathwar). It's the best space sim whatever game (like a complete package and not just cool visuals like NMS or interesting flight mechanics like ED) since Freelancer imo, but note that its flight model is more of the Descent vintage than the 90s Origin line. So you spend plenty of time strafing and breaking LoS with asteroids and such.

https://youtu.be/nHz1XWaYvkE?si=UREtGwFWkDVpvZoI

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

repiv posted:

no keep adding suffixes

i want a 4070 ti super duper

'Super' is fine, but I prefer mega and ultra. Ti should probably just be replaced with 'buster edition.'

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
tengen toppa geforce lagann

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I had it in my cart when it was free on epic game store but it occurred to me that I should value my time more.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
There's a rumor of the 5090 late this year or early next year but I think the ship has sailed on a 4090 ti.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
They can just change the review embargo date?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Only the msi seems to be in stock at best buy, any thoughts on that one?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

runaway dog posted:

my understanding is that all of the 4080 partner cards were pretty much overkill anyway since the thing never even reaches base power target while running games, but a few of them were slightly worse than the Founders edition which was already fairly overkill, you should probably be good thought I suspect it's gone by now.

It's still in my cart and shows available... idk if I want a 'low tier' version of a card with bios issues for $30 over a thousand dollar retail price...

Maybe this is my sign to drop gaming as a hobby.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

A bad economy hurts the people who couldn't afford a $1k GPU the most in even the best of times.

economicinequality.jpg

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

So I've got a healthy end-of-year bonus coming in, and my 1080 is starting to feel long in the tooth (or more likely Palworld is just garbage :lol:), are any of the new refreshes of particularly compelling value?

4070 super is a nice bump up, 4080 super is a nice price cut but hard to get at msrp

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I mean, yeah, but W11 is "better" than W10 by a very small percentage imo

I haven't found a single thing that would drive me to recommend anyone running 10 to upgrade. Like, not a single feature. Maybe for devs it's better, or some games might run better (are there even any benchmarks proving this) but as an end user? the main difference I've found is more bugs.

I'm using W11 because I was forced to upgrade, not by choice. If you're still on 10, and things work? heck, stay with it, more power to you.

BTW you can get the old style taskbar just fiddling with the default taskbar settings, I didn't download anything extra to make it like the W10 design.

It's like Microsoft wanted to copy MacOS but they only managed to copy the worst parts

edit: like, they got rid of the words "Copy", "Paste" in the right click menu of the file explorer, replacing them with little graphical icons. what the gently caress is the point of that. If you install something like 7-zip and want to use it, you have to always go into a SECOND right click context menu that is basically the old W10 menu. It's so loving dumb, for possibly the most used app in the world

edit 2: Oh if you are one of those weirdos who likes the vertical task bar on the side, you can't. Maybe then you need to download some mod

It's both kinda minor and really worrying. MS shouldn't be making these kinds of ux regressions in such a mature product.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
How do folks feel about the 4070S for VR? I want to hold out for 5000 series but I'm impatient.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

If that isn't a smug look

The look of a cat who appreciates the warmth of a modern gpu.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

It all depends on what your target is. This is the thing that I think gets lost in a lot of these discussions.

Consoles provide a pretty hard hardware floor that AAA releases have to be minimally functional on, and if you're pushing 1440 or 1080 you can get away with a LOT less graphical horsepower.

It's the change-over in console generations that would worry me. Buying a 4090 about a third of the way through a current console gen? Yeah, that's going to stay relevant a loving loooong time. But I could see something like a 5090 or 6090 being bought right before the next console gen drops having significantly shorter legs, comparatively, just because that minimum hardware floor rises soon after purchase.

Conversely I feel like it's a huge mistake to buy a marked up 4090 so late in the generation. 5090 (conceivably) will play ps6 tier games well enough and so be relevant for a good 6-7 years.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

It's been about three and a half years since the PS5 launched, and the PS4's launch was seven years before the PS5's. I guess it's technically the latter half of the console's lifecycle if another seven year span is what they're aiming for, but it sounds patently ridiculous for Sony to treat it like that.

Why?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

change my name posted:

TBF the PS5 is now $399 and comes with a copy of Spider-Man 2, that's kind of an unbeatable value

Steam deck can be grabbed for under $300 from SA mart. PC bundles and cheap keys + emu make that the ultimate budget platform.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Imo if they're asking for 2k+ for a GPU I want it to do the hobby ai stuff too.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Listerine posted:

Tempted to grab a 4090 FE, but I'm not in dire need of an upgrade. Is there any good idea if the 5000 series would be worth waiting for? I haven't paid any attention to the info about the next generation.

The rumors suggest 5080/5090 will be releasing sometime between q3 of this year and q1 of next. It's supposed to be a big boost but it's not yet clear what kinds of nerfing the cards will get to segment them from nvidia's hyper-lucrative AI enterprise market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Does it work with the VR mod?