Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Give it until December at least :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

Well, on the plus side, AMD is probably going to sell a shitload of CPUs to go with those nvidia cards :shrug:

Yeah 2021 is going to be defined by "the" combo of Ryzen 3xxx / 4xxx and GeForce RTX 3070/3080. Athlon 64s/Radeon 9700 PROs were pretty popular IIRC, and of course Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge CPUs with... GTX 480s, right?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr.PayDay posted:

Or in other words: On a scale from 0 to 3090, how hosed is AMD now?

Not supremely — they make the console GPU for the ninth generation of home video game consoles and are going to make a fuckload of them. They can sell that with the benefits of (probably) bigger thermal envelopes at very cost competitive points to PC users. The more units those consoles sell, game developers can't just ignore it / throw in entirely for DLSS or something like that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Out of curiosity I went to try and trace back my GPUs... only got as far back as a used Ti 4600, but from there I think I hit a 7900, 8800 GTS, GTX 460, GTX 670 and then GTX 1080. Surprised at past me for upgrading so "quick" from 460 to 670, but maybe that was a big jump.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Their *hardware* is. They desperately need to find a driver team worth a drat and send them a few dump trucks full of money.

I was going to ask — one of the historical differentiators all the way back to the ATI R100/R200 days was that driver quality differed greatly. I've never first-hand owned or run an ATI/AMD GPU — is this historical FUD or do AMD drivers still leave a lot to be desired vs NV?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

as long as they don't feel the need to run the game at "ultra" settings

lol

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So the idea in the hybrids is to watercool GPU, air cool VRM/RAM, and then the other hybrid is a full waterblock?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

console games having to run on AMD cards means that most PC ports are going to be anchored to AMD features

ding ding ding

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Part of becoming an older engineer for me was realizing that it comes back to $$ and who's going to pay people to do poo poo, not what is technically "the best". No money to pay developers to add NVIDIA only features means it won't happen. Subsidies, lowering the cost of adding those features (e.g., getting it into Unreal Engine) should all help, but until a compelling case occurs to implement those features, developers are going focus their limited time on what matters.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

my game is... fans

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Truga posted:

for me dropping a bunch on a monitor is a no-brainer, since it'll work fine and be very good for at least 10 years, unlike gpus that are good for 2 years and passable for another 3-4 max

I paid $1245 for my U3011 on Thanksgiving 2010 — still have the original box and it's moved like 6 times, only real "complaint" is the backlight.

shrike82 posted:

Lisa Bae has a pretty good handle on the company - it’s probably a competitive advantage to be one of the few shops to be able to spin a CPU+GPU solution. I’d be surprised if their GPU division was in the red.

They’re still recovering from years of mismanagement under Koduri and now that he’s loving things up at Intel, the hope is that AMD can rebuild that division.

What were some of the major strategic boo-boos Koduri made?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Taima posted:

What's the actual threat in an overdraw scenario? How dangerous is that generally?

Overcurrent protection is typically fuses or current-limiting switches (usually FETs).

In most cases, things overheat and burn / pop. Hot wires overheat their insulation / plastic connectors and will melt or burn them. PCB traces can also delaminate and plastic IC packages become slag.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

AirRaid posted:

As someone who has literally no other cards on the motherboard, gently caress it, I don't care. Give me a 6-slot cooler with fans end to end which blows through and out the back of the unused expansion slots.

Let NVIDIA make motherboards again and just deliver a mATX mobo with a RTX 3080 soldered down in the general area where expansion slots used to be.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Let NVIDIA make motherboards again and just deliver a mATX mobo with a RTX 3080 soldered down in the general area where expansion slots used to be.

Actually — hear me out on this idea, it's loving sick.

1. If you're soldering down the GPU anyways...
2. Do a custom form-factor and solder down the CPU also.
3. Might as well solder down / cram in RAM as well.
4. Maybe do a custom SSD form factor.
5. Build lots of these to lower costs
6. Market them to be placed near people's TVs for the express purpose of playing games.

Call them... game stations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

or put a mezzanine connector there, like their datacenter modules use

then the gpu would be facing the right way to strap a d15 to it

This is actually what I wanted to fake edit in there... new mobo form factor, no PCIe slots what so ever, just like a jumbo MXM module and the cooler support interface uses the case's add-in slots. Only need 16 PCIe lanes, few GPIO and 12 V in. Pick some Samtec SEARAY or similar connector and you're done.

If that fake mobo had WiFi integrated and a decent sound solution + a 2.5Gb/10Gb NIC, what add-in card would a gamer ever want?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Where is it getting that detail from!?

CAPTCHAs are getting weird

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IMO they should have opened up pre-orders on the Shabbat.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

EK just announced a block for the FE cards, in addition to the reference block they already announced

https://twitter.com/EKWaterBlocks/status/1304480184905732098

I am so excited to get back into watercooling. I'm ignoring all blower chat and just planning on being liquid cooled on a 3080 or 3090.

I actually realized I needed to get the ASUS M.2 breakout PCIe card for my plan of using U.2 NVMe Drives -> M.2 adapters to work correctly, as the mobo 1) has the heatsink covering the M.2 slots, 2) I wouldn't have had enough CPU PCIe lanes for all the drives otherwise. So, can't just go hog wild blocking up all the slots sadly.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Man, I would not have pegged PDN design being talked about by YouTubers / Redditors on my 2020 bingo card.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Is it build quality, or what? From what I've seen, a lot of these displays use the same FPGA module — little surprised they don't have reference RTL from someone they can use in them.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

Some just stick around for silly prices for people who either don't know any better, or who need that specific card for some odd reason (SLI matching, replacements for out-of-warranty cards that are part of a system controlled by an entity (government, military, whatever) that will insist on a 1-for-1 replacement and not an "equivalent" part, etc.).

This is my guess, people that try to "spec" a PC like its a piece of aerospace hardware and need every component to be 1:1 to a line item on a BOM that can have no substitutes. I just had to convince a dumb-rear end manager of this a few weeks ago and to stop tracking at the component level and just generally look for "x86 PC w/ 4 NICs, x GB RAM, etc." at this point in time, because it's really the software configuration via Ansible that matters more.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

The primary reason was to get him to stop being a scalper by threatening him to lose his clearance potentially if there was something legit illegal. So many people in the area have clearances to do their jobs here most folks are pretty drat straight laced outside leadership positions

:chloe:

This is, uh, kinda weird / a bit much for the thread here. Lets steer away from potential doxxing / personally targeting people over GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm looking for a waterblock for my 1080, and forgot which model I had, so went to my email to look it up... holy poo poo, I've had my 1080 since July 2016 (08G-P4-6286-KR, FTW GAMING ACX 3.0) and paid $686.98 with tax.

Almost afraid to go look at resale prices.