Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Developer Kit 2 says 960x1080/eye x 75/72/60 Hz. (Effectively 1080p75)

Since you probably want the 75, you probably want the 770. You will almost certainly have to resort to SLi or a Maxwell card once decent VR solutions (min. 2Mpx/eye at 90 Hz+) happen.

Yup, I just dug around on this some and there are a few recent posts in the Stereo 3D thread in Games. A Rift dev on reddit said you want a 770 at minimum, with the best answer being to likely buy the best 800 series card you can when they come out.

vvvv Lalalalala I can't hear you!

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a sheet I found online I used to help shop for a used card: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArCtGVODPUTtdEdEUjRiSFdyckZ1Q1dGNUI3bkd5R1E#gid=0. I believe Asus and Gigabyte AMD card warranties are based on serial.

(Eventually settled on an Asus 7970 DCII for $200 shipped that wasn't used for mining.)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Nephilm posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/537807660?t=2h58m45s

"You guys can't say this, but [Planetside 2] is going to look better on the PS4."
"It's true. We're able to custom build our shaders and our whole pipeline... ultra settings on PC, ultra settings is different for a guy who bought a $600 videocard last year from someone who bought a $1000 this year..."

:psyduck:

"...both of them can run ultra settings, but that new video card now is still going to be able to pull more." I don't think there's anything wrong with saying a newer more expensive video card can run a game on ultra settings better than an older card.

Hasn't PS2 had problems with running like poo poo since the beginning even on high spec PCs? I mean, if they made a janky PC game, maybe they're right that they can make it smoother on a console :mmmhmm:. Like when PCs get shoddy console ports, but in the wrong order.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/892038-E3-Graphics-Restored-and-now-Trending-on-Reddit-and-NeoGaf-Shame-on-You-Ubisoft posted:

The game uses a very surreal texture implementation. For every texture, there is a basic texture with mipmaps and a higher resolution texture without mipmaps. Lower texture quality uses the medium mip of the regular texture as max. Medium texture quality uses the regular texture and high texture quality (called ultra ingame) uses regular texture BUT blend to higher texture for close ups. Close up distance depends of screen resolution. So it's a pixel/texel ratio in the end.

The problem is that I think gpu drivers are not optimized to load in memory every texture twice. They are optimized to mess with mipmaps to avoid shimmering and to save memory. Walking or driving in watch dogs implies you need to load a new big texture every time a material is near the camera. It's not the same that showing the big mip of the texture already loaded.

e: I should make that a link: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/892038-E3-Graphics-Restored-and-now-Trending-on-Reddit-and-NeoGaf-Shame-on-You-Ubisoft

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 16, 2014

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

The DK2 shipping next month is 1080p, CV1 will be at least 1440p when it launches early/mid-2015 and CV2 in 2016/17 is aiming for 4k.

The horsepower required to drive 4k in stereoscopic will be immense. :stare:

1440p, 90hz that you really don't want to drop below 90fps, and I believe some shader stuff has to be rendered twice to account for the different eye angling. It's gonna take a beast of a card to bump up settings on flashy AAA games.

Mining card prices swayed me from holding off to CV1 to buy a card, but I ain't too worried about it. There aren't that many games that'll give a 770 a workout, and probably none of them would be great in VR. I bet any studios that make GPU killing games are a ways out from producing anything meant for VR. (But I hope I'm wrong!)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Carecat posted:

I'm concerned we might all suffer as 2GB of VRAM is still the standard outside the top end cards but from what I googled the new consoles can offer about 3GB of VRAM and a pretty expensive card you bought today won't let you use the highest texture settings.

Can we please stop having a post every page or two hinting that 4gb cards are needed for futureproofing with nothing to back it up besides 'well I guess that one console port that renders all the textures twice..' Yes, more vram will help at some point. No, we aren't there yet.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

Heated car seats. Never gave a poo poo, but the new car has em and by god they get used on those cold rear end winter drives.

Heated steering wheel. Opted for an older decked out car and I'm never goin' back; I'd take the wheel over the seats cause hot drat. (Seriously see bout getting it aftermarketed in if you're in the cold. Or just pull one from your 290x pile.)

Course as I say that, almost all my video cards have been AMD where I have to do stuff like create a 1920x1076 res for Crysis games to fullscreen properly. One day I'll pay the Nvidia feature fee..maybe..

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Vectorwulf posted:

The card picking thread mentioned at the top of the OP seems to be archived. Where would be a good spot for a quick question about an upgrade?

You want the parts picking thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3623433&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Short answer RE: your other post being yeah you're safe with a 760 or 770, but also check out the AMD 280/280x as they trade blows but have been popping up a lot cheaper. The AMD cards can also be found used for cheap from mining rigs being dumped off, but make sure you can still use the warranty: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArCtGVODPUTtdEdEUjRiSFdyckZ1Q1dGNUI3bkd5R1E#gid=0. Someone's been putting some up in SA-Mart for awesome prices that I wish I would've been psychic and known about before I bought a card a little while ago.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Linux Nazi posted:

I bought my 780 6GB edition almost 3 months ago, and finally took EVGA up on the 90-day step-up offer (having bought nothing but EVGA for as long as I can remember).

I'm exactly 4 days shy of my 90 day mark, but I'm now in the queue for a 980. All I'll be paying is shipping!

:feelsgood:

I've ran SLI with:

2x 8800s
2x GeForce 260s
2x GeForce 570s

Until just recently, I never had any issues. Essentially most games were running engines optimized for SLI.

Towards the end of the 570s (before I updated to the single 780 6GB) I had 3 games in a row hit me with no SLI capabilities. ESO (who cares) TitanFall, and Grid: Autosport.

It was at some point when I was trying the various "fixes" for Titanfall using nvidia injector to force SLI profiles and such that I decided that this poo poo blows.

I wouldn't say that this means companies are abandoning SLI, I don't think that's the case. But it seems to be an afterthought. There's nothing more frustrating than having to wait on the publisher/developer to get off their rear end and make proper SLI optimizations.

I'd seen the sentiment that SLI/Crossfire is entirely up to the drivers, and applications can't even see if there are multiple cards. Sounds like it's up to both parties and that apps can check cards - pretty neat and brief read popped up, 2011 SLI best practices whitepaper from Nvidia.

quote:

SLI Check List
1. Check the maximum potential scaling by running your application in an SLI configuration
after renaming its executable to AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe. If necessary, resolve any CPU
bottleneck before continuing.
2. If you are using Queries, make sure to allow buffering of at least N frames‟ worth of work
before stalling to get their result (where N is the number of AFR groups in the
configuration).
3. Use resource Clears were appropriate, depending on the availability of an SLI profile for
your application.
4. For either 2 or 3, if your application requires an SLI-specific change, use the latest version of
NVAPI from developer.nvidia.com to properly detect the current SLI configuration,
including the number of AFR Groups.
5. Send NVIDIA a build of your application to get an SLI profile created for it.
Alternatively, use the SLI-specific advice to eliminate inter-frame dependencies where
possible (Clears).

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

AirRaid posted:

But that means finding a decent cooler and :effort:. I'll not bother unless it becomes a huge problem.

I did specifically buy the 2500k with the idea of OC it to get more life later on though.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 is all ya need for a 2500k, goes for $20-35: Newegg link.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

tropical posted:

I grabbed an MSI 970 Gaming 4G card from Newegg a couple of weeks ago when they showed up in stock to replace my aging 6850. Arrived yesterday, installed the card and everything was great until I launched a game (in this case Batman: Arkham Origins)... noticeable "bzzzzz" noise coming from the computer, audible across the room with the case enclosed. Seems to be related to high GPU load, at least from what I can see from the graphs in Afterburner.

At first I thought it was the dreaded coil whine but after listening to some youtube videos it doesn't appear to be the case; it's not high-pitched at all and doesn't seem to modulate in frequency. It's a constant buzz while the GPU is under high load, and stops when the GPU load drops. It happens even when the fans are not running, and if I crank the fans to 100% using Afterburner, there is no buzzing while I'm at the Windows desktop. I was trying to isolate where the sound was coming from and I think it might actually be coming from my power supply - a 3 year old Antec Truepower 650W. Sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpfDrQYORA

CPU is an i5 2500K and the mobo is an MSI P67A-C43.

Time for a new PSU?

Sorry for the GPU derail, but I started getting the same thing a little while after going to a 7970 on a year old XFX 650W bottom mounted in a case with a dust filter down there. Some super lazy canned air spraying at the filter cleared it up for a day or two. Haven't pulled the case out for a proper cleanup yet to see if it really clears it up - I'd start there, though.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

No Gravitas posted:

My antique card is light and still manages to be sagging. My new card may be heavy. The motherboard is old, abused and flimsy, I don't want to put it through more than it will already can barely take.

And I just realized that my old light card is sagging because there is a broken part where I'm supposed to screw it to the case. Rough previous owner I guess.

EDIT: Nope. The Phi weights 1200 grams. I know that from the datasheets.

Different computer, different insanity.

If you have an old flimsy abused motherboard and a broken mount on your case, I would strongly suggest replacing those over buying a $300+ video card. If your board is that bad off I'd be surprised if you wouldn't be CPU bottlenecked anyway.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yup, borderless window mode is the way to go. If the game doesn't support it, there are a couple different apps you can Google up to force it for games that don't have the option (phone posting, search for borderless window program). I believe Ultramon is the go to for better than Windows display management but it's paid software and probably way overkill for what you're going for.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

At this point is there any reason for someone to buy a Mac instead of a Windows pc other than being an Apple fanboy? I understand in the old days there were reasons, but now, a Mac is just a PC with OSX and a giant markup on parts.

The interface/aesthetics, "I don't have to worry about viruses and toolbars and startup items getting installed whenever I use the internet", and things being simpler by way of having less options are some of the biggies. (How much of that is being used to it already and/or things that've long since been hugely improved in Windows vs. it's "better" on Macs is debatable, though Win8 certainly didn't help.) Their hardware QC and easy local warranty work are awesome. Some software people like the Unix-ness of it, and it's been the go-to platform for film people - don't know why but I presume the software.

I see a lot of medical folks at work that stick with Apple and for them it's definitely not caring about spending the extra money to get something they know how to use and (feel?) they don't have to gently caress with maintenance on. Oh and SO SHINY.

e: Agreed on it being laptops - every single Apple person I've seen has been on a laptop and/or Ipad, I forget their all in one crap even exists.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 3, 2014

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Radio Talmudist posted:

What sort of apps use GFX workstation cards? AutoCad, 3D Modeling apps, etc? Would photoshop benefit from a Quadro?

Medical imaging software (PACS systems) for looking at things like X-rays on a computer uses workstation cards to be super 100% sure what's rendered on the screen for the doctor to look at is accurate. A draw glitch there is suddenly a broken bone you don't actually have. I've heard there's government/FDA software certification that has to be done before anything can be installed on certain kinds of PACS viewing computers so I wouldn't be surprised if the workstation level graphics cards are by mandate.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
For the AMD Crysis stuff, try making a custom resolution of 1920x1076. Every time I've had an AMD card and played any of the Crysis games on a TV I had to do that for everything to display properly. The same res has helped for another game or two over the years but no idea what they were off the top of my head.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Friendly reminder for folks saying AMD is on its way out: their CPUs and GPUs are in the Xbone and PS4. I'd bet $5 that MS and Sony looked into the company more than glossing over their Wikipedia page.

I'd also wager that 33 million (estimated combined lifetime) console sales and counting doesn't hurt. I'd love to know how many GPUs (and SHIELDS lol) Nvidia has to sell to balance that out. One answer is they both sell a lot so yay they're both alive and competing.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Hace posted:

For what it's worth, you're going want a card with at least 3GB of VRAM for Evolve.

Nah, you'll be aight with less than 3GB. Runs real smooth for me at max settings+vsync+FXAA FullscreenWindowed at 1080p on a 3GB 7970. Bump the settings down some and it's fine on cards with less VRAM.

Benches showing the 960/270x averaging just shy of 60fps at very high and 70fps at medium: http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1813-evolve-graphics-card-benchmark-fps

e: VVV very well could have, I've seen a handful of folks mentioning better performance after the release day patch.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 12, 2015

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
My Asus 7970 DCII has one fan that's been making a nasty grinding noise that's finally bugging me enough to do something about. I know I've seen folks in the thread talk about it - is this what I need to do? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WYFYFHRtjE

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Some fans have sealed plastic over that point where he drops oil. If yours is open after peeling the sticker like in the video, that'll work. If it's sealed, I'd just take off the entire fan and shroud assembly, go outside, squirt oil all over them fans, and use compressed air to force the fans to spin and work the oil in.

Awesome, first time I've had a reason to take a screwdriver to a GPU and success. First round no dice, second time I just bukkaked all over the fan and now the grinding sound is gone; 'preciate the help.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Dang, fan grinding noise came back or never went away (didn't happen 100% of the time). All I had on hand was teflon based bike chain lubricant so I'll try stopping and grabbing some mineral oil today in hopes that it's thinner and can seep in to the bearings easier. If that don't work I'll shoot for drilling past the plastic cap in the way. The thought makes me a little nervous, but doing a whole RMA or something over a fan that likely just needs a clean and lube sounds like a royal PITA.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I still have something like an HD2400 sitting in a box from when it took us a while to convince the powers that be to just buy a displayport cable instead of the ~$130 we were spending on these cards whenever anyone wanted dual screens. This was at the time I got a refurb 5870 for not much more. Boggles the mind.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

A few months after building this pc ~2 years ago, Catalyst Control Center stopped working. For a long time, it would crash every time the computer started, so I just installed the drivers and nothing else. I reinstalled it at some point and feel I may have changed a setting in order to not get it to crash at startup..but I don't recall. In any case, I've uninstalled/reinstalled since then.

Other than just uninstalling/reinstalling which I've tried about 6 times, is there anything else I can try? It runs in my system tray, but I can't load up the control center itself. I'm using Windows 8.1 and the card is a Radeon HD 7900.

Could try reinstalling the latest .net framework 4.5

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I had great luck using OCCT to quickly dial in the OC on my current AMD card. It has a GPU benchmark you can run and a check box for error checking. I just alt tabbed back and forth and played with numbers until it stopped throwing errors for about 10 minutes and I've been stable in games with higher clocks than I had before. (Left core speed default, cranked memory, backed down till no errors, then same for core.) Be sure to tab back into OCCT after changing settings. All in all probably took half an hour or less.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

cat doter posted:

So if I understand correctly, their whole lineup for Rx 300 is going to be refreshes of existing architecture and the only new stuff will be "titan killers"? That seems like a really stupid move for AMD to make, they'd be competing in a space they've never done that well in and AMD has no premium features worth a poo poo, not to mention they can't even get game ready drivers out on time.

I don't think they've announced what we get for upcoming releases? Only thing I've seen is the list of what they're giving to OEM shitboxes. Surely they can't try and re-sell the 7970 /again/.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

I haven't actually but for whatever reason the Crimson overdrive is only give me a way to increment my GPU/Memory Speed by percentages? My google kung-fo is failing me, how do I switch this to show by Mhz?

Home->Gaming tab->Global Settings (top-left)->Global OverDrive tab, use the slider thing at the bottom:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

On my system that shows up as + or - %, not as an actual MHz value, which is what he's talking about. Not that it's a huge problem, since it's easy enough to work out the values yourself.

Oh weird, was wondering where the percentage was showing up. Looks like it's a newer (290) card thing? From a review: "The AMD Radeon R9 290/290X are both fully dynamic, so there is no longer an absolute clock to set. This means that overclocking is now done by percentages and not fixed values." I'm still on a 7970.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Just the GPU powered car AI stuff, nothing about consumer cards.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I just updated my drivers a bit ago and seems like after that my 7970 (Asus DCII) is also stuck on 1575 for the memory clock. I haven't installed Trixx, just the Asus GPU Tweak (haven't run it for a while) and the AMD stuff.

Just tinkered around with it some..My slider in AMD was nonexistent - 1575 was the min and max shown, no slider there period (did not used to be like that). Opened GPU Tweak -> lowered memclock a hair and applied, new value was reflected in the Crimson monitor -> Hit default in GPU Tweak, correct default values reflected -> Closed Crimson with the normal X -> Right-clicked the tray icon and hit hide -> Opened Crimson, now my memory slider is showing back up normal in there for me. Maybe try those steps (sub GPU Tweak for Afterburner) and cross your fingers? If that doesn't do it, a rollback to the last driver may be interesting.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Got a link or setting handy on manually setting tessellation for AMD cards? Thought Tomb Raider would be the start of my 7970 @ 1440p making the wait for the next Nvidia cards really hurt, but after tinkering with settings there does seem to be some jank. Turning down some of the major hitters got me from 30->40fps pretty easy, but cranking things down more with the in-game menu I had a real hard time getting any more frames out of it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Dang, turned tess down to 8x in the AMD control panel, even disabled it, still only got me a few frames and am hanging around 40fps in Rise. 7970 @ 1075mhz at 1440p, FXAA, no VSYNC, High textures, 8x Ansio (wtf), Medium shadows, Ambient Occ to "on", Level of detail "Medium", Tessellation off, Dynamic Foliage "Medium", Fancy Hair off, spin the camera around and I'm at 33-40fps.
Settings down to rear end Ugly (lowest) only bumps it to 50-60, and Low is 45-50.

I'm just gonna have to pretend it's Dark Souls 1 or Halo and play closer to 30fps and hope the next cards don't come too far after the Rift ships.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Fresh out the oven, AMD 16.1.1 "Hotfix" (not calling them betas now?) driver: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.1.1-Hotfix-Release-Notes.aspx

Highlights
Performance/Quality improvements and an AMD Crossfire™ profile is available for Rise of the Tomb Raider™
An AMD Crossfire™ profile is available for Fallout 4

e: At a quick glance it seems to have boosted my 7970 ~4fps in Tomb Raider, and turning off tessellation in game now bumps it up another ~5fps. Think I'm gonna be a big dweeb and wait a few months for my next card before playing it though so I can crank everything.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 2, 2016

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Heads up in case anyone else has trouble, after updating my AMD drivers to 16.1.1 or 1.6.3.1 with a 7970, enabling 'Frame Rate Target Control' fucks my poo poo - freezes that I have to hard reboot through. Light testing after disabling it and everything seems OK.

'Course I installed Rift and updated both audio and video drivers in one go then didn't try to game till later, taking a few hours and a million reboots (thank god for SSDs!) to rip back through everything to find exactly what the trigger was. :pcgaming:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

And I'm a giant 290 fan

FaustianQ posted:

This explains why yours functions so well.

Yeah I'm laughin' pretty hard at that one

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh mah lordy, 7970s hitting $150+ on eBay. Must be from the mining thing still? So tempted to sell mine that I paid $200 for two years ago to make it 'free' but there's no way I'm going GPU-less until the next gen launches. Hell maybe I should check out this dumb mining surge since I have the card anyway, lol.

e: But oshit maybe that makes it perfect timing to get even more a discount on a 980ti; no way the next gen will be as good as 150+ off an already discounted 980ti.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 22, 2016

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Hubis posted:

It did great on their World of Warcraft benchmark

Hopefully Polaris will be able to push the 24 fps too

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Some VR pseudo benchmarking here: http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-benchmark-review-performance-head-to-head-against-the-980ti/3/#vr-benchmarks

quote:

1) There are no VR specific synthetic (or otherwise) benchmarking applications (with one exception) dedicated to testing your system’s performance.
2) If you try to apply 2D gaming benchmarking methodologies directly to VR you’ll come unstuck. Desktop consumer VR systems clever rendering tricks to present a consistent display update.

So, we chose to pick a handful of VR games and experiences which allow a level of visual tweaking, to levels that will make these cards sweat and deliver a visual experience that’s a cut above the norm. Each title was run with the headset sat in a fixed location in view of the Oculus sensor, angled to catch the lions share of the action. We then gathered metrics on GPU load and the resulting frame rate to see how well each card coped.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

AMD touched me as a child

Let's not get into the performance per inch thing again

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

Your favorite resident accent has released a "review" of the Founder's Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDYnofz_JE

Don't have time to summarize, but this is a pro click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if the GTX 10x0 VR stuff comes "free" as part of the hardware/driver, or if it's something games will have to implement? VR is a big reason I've been holding off on a card upgrade. If we have to wait on devs to implement the VR performance boosts though, the spitting distance OC'd 980tis are hitting in some benchmarks sounds tempting. Gotta hit a Microcenter in a while and depending on what they have on sale/open box, impulse control might be hard.