Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

How much difference does it make to continue to use the stock cooler on your video card but replace the original thermal paste with something not generic and cheap from the factory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Since the Vega 64 is momentarily the same price as a 1070Ti, is there any reason not to prefer the Vega 64? Other than it draws a little more power and runs hotter I suppose.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

kliras posted:

give these people this: they know to actually give you the pcie brackets you need for something of this size

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1619371732124553219

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

So Moore's Law is Dead is claiming the MSRP of the upcoming RTX 4070 is... $750.

Yes, that's only $50 less than the suggested price of the 4070Ti. Now both cards will be totally overpriced and nearly cost the same. On what planet does this make sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIqoMyjmC5A

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

high framerate causes high-frequency vibrations in inductors (coil whine) and also caps (cap whine is a thing, go full screen on this and put your ear up to your display) and guess what's sitting on the output of those MOSFETs?

Good thing I don't have epilepsy.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

K8.0 posted:

Unless something that has never happened before is happening with the relative cost of producing GPUs, or Nvidia is somehow selling their flagship product at a loss, yes.

Fabs like TSMC did just increase prices twice, so that obviously gets passed to the consumer, but you're right that the costs doesn't justify how expensive new GPUs are.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

If that’s medium how bad is low?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSIT18bOvg

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

:lol: at both of your thematic literacy

:lol: this dude is seriously trying to defend a mediocre game by dropping "thematic literacy" in the GPU thread

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

This guy has a lot of balls predicting that the RTX 5090 will have big performance. He's taking a big risk and could end up with egg on his face!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Since the 4070Ti already exists and only has 12GB of VRAM what would a hypothetical 16GB edition be called? 4070TiTi? 4070Ti˛?

Or does the design even permit 16GB?

I can't wait for it to cost $950.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

There were emulators for PS1, N64, and GBA while those systems were all current. Dolphin and Yuzu aren't that groundbreaking.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Plenty of untapped potential on the upper end and room to reconfigure the product stack. Or maybe they just won't do anything and we can expect the current cards to be the entirety of the lineup for the next two years, but that seems unlikely to me.

So many weird decisions, like a 4060Ti with 16GB VRAM but the 4070 and 4070Ti are only 12GB.

A 16GB 4070Ti that didn't cost $800+ would be ideal for me but that would only make the 4080 look even worse.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA being willing to price 4070 at an actually-reasonable level

you should actually buy a 4070 (and a lot of people probably should)

You have an interesting idea of "reasonable"

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

change my name posted:

I engrave all of my Switch games in stone, what now

The obvious answer is what Scientology does: carve their texts onto stainless steel plates, seal them in titanium time capsules, and bury them in underground vaults built into privately owned mountains. Audio and video media are put onto gold CDs encased in glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Spiritual_Technology

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I prefer the North!

Long graphics cards in the North will block the hard drive trays.

I know a lot of people only use internal SSDs and external HDDs these days but I would like the option for more internal storage and the North is a little too small.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

If the 40 Super variants don't do anything to address the main problems with nvidia this generation, namely VRAM and price, then who is going to care? GPU sales are already down and releasing a slightly faster 4070 Ti for more money (or even roughly the same MSRP) would go over like a lead balloon.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SpaceDrake posted:

This is me but ##70 cards. $330 was always robbery for a 970, but where, oh where, is my $400 4070? :negative: Dare I hope it's offered for that price come Black Friday?

My 1070 cost $300, now 5-6 years later the equivalent tier card costs double, with only 4GB more VRAM too.

Cavauro posted:

It seems like we're all wanting a certain card for a certain amount of money around here

Good cards that are also affordable. They used to exist!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Cygni posted:

The “tiers” are made up

No kidding?? That proves my point even more.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Wonder if they’ll ever find a way to fix the scoliosis or whatever it is that seems to affect everyone’s ability to walk normally.

The women are clearly weighed down by their giant breasts

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's a shiny-rear end dome on 47

He put his head in the Shine-O Ball-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1JnYpy3hYg

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER Reviews Delayed to January 31

quote:

VideoCardz states the Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER model was not received in a timely manner by a number of media outlets

We basically already know the performance numbers, and MSRP of course, so there's not much to get excited about in specific reviews anyway.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

chami posted:

I’m glad I had also swapped cases from an old Fractal Meshify C to a Fractal North as there was no way it would have fit in the old case I think.

Does the 4080 Super bump up against the front fans in the Fractal North?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Are there any 40 series GPUs with indented power connectors like this?

https://assets.rockpapershotgun.com/images/2020/10/Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-3070-power-connectors.jpg

Sorry for the huge file. It's a Zotac 30 series card. I wonder how much this would help for the cards that are the size of a cinder block and nearly touch the side of the case.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Gwyneth Paltrow's head weighs about 8 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Arrath posted:

And how can the internet at large poison the training data so the bots just chatter on about how they used to be adventurers until they took an arrow to the knee while patrolling the Mojave and wishing for a nuclear winter?

I soon hope there is an AI advanced enough to look at Bethesda's recent games and tell Todd Howard "this isn't fun or interesting, what were you thinking?"