Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Which current AMD card is still basically a 7970? Didn't it go 7970 Ghz to 280X to 380?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Guess my 7970 will stick around for just a bit longer, it's been going on strong for over 4 years now.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NJD2005 posted:

On the topic of the EVGA 980ti that newegg has on ebay, this code "CCNSMZDMQ216" might work to get $45 off to make it $364.99. I say might because it didn't work on my regular ebay account but it does work if I check-out as guest.

Was about to buy this to replace my 7970 that is getting really loud but couldn't get the code to go through and when I finally did it said 'Your PayPal account is not registered in a country that allows this coupon' or w/e. I'm in the US

Guess I'll wait for the 1070 thanks paypal you enormous piece of garbage :thumbsup:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Djarum posted:

It is the "driver has crashed and recovered" nonsense. I have only ever gotten it with AMD cards, hardware independent. I think I have only gotten it once with a Nvidia card in a decade.

This also happens to me occasionally (7970) but more so since going to Windows 8/8.1/10. It also happens to my dad's Windows 10 desktop with an AMD. Granted I haven't had an nvidia card since the 9600 GT so I have no clue how good/bad their drivers are.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Convinced NowInStock is trolling me, alerted me to an MSI 1070 being in stock at Newegg, I went within a second and it was still on Auto-Notify. :argh:

I saw it go into stock for a few minutes on the Newegg site but it didn't last long. I didn't buy one as the Gigabyte is cheaper and supposedly coming back in stock today.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It would be cool of Newegg to at least make the "add to cart" and "auto notify" buttons different colors and/or shapes

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Managed to grab a Gigabyte 1070 after losing it at the confirmation screen the first time. Then I realized my power supply is over 5 years old, and my SSD is from 2010, and next thing I know I've dropped over $1200 on a new system.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

roadhead posted:

I still run the OG 7970 and game at 4k.

The 7970 has been a hell of a card for me at 1440P since 2012 but thats seriously impressive if you're getting acceptable frames at 4K

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Blackfyre posted:

silicone lottery

Some are definitely better than others

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Really not regretting my 1070 and X34 purchase right now, although the 1080ti is crazy fast based on some of the benchmarks posted in the last few pages. I don't remember it being that much faster than the 1070 at launch.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Let's see here..
Matrix M3D (PowerVR)
Voodoo 3
GeForce 3?
ti 4400
780 GTX 256mb (then another one later for water cooled SLI)
8800GTS 320
9600GT
4870 1gb

I think of all these the 7800 GTX was the most expensive at around $600 followed by the 7970 and 1070.
May be leaving some things out from the old days but it's hard to remember back that far and all of those systems are long gone.

LOL I had almost forgotten how bad the 5000 series GeForce cards were:

quote:

The first family in the GeForce 6 product-line, the 6800 series catered to the high-performance gaming market. As the very first GeForce 6 model, the 16 pixel pipeline GeForce 6800 Ultra (NV40) was 2 to 2.5 times faster than Nvidia's previous top-line product (the GeForce FX 5950 Ultra), packed four times the number of pixel pipelines, twice the number of texture units and added a much improved pixel-shader architecture. Yet, the 6800 Ultra was fabricated on the same (IBM) 130 nanometer process node as the FX 5950, and it consumed slightly less power.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 27, 2017

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I paid $430 for my 1070 over 18 months ago

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's not actually an answer. You're just trying to dodge the question... how can you actually read out a HDCP 2.2 framebuffer from another (non-authorized) process? Answer the question. Ideally, let's see a code sample - since so far HDCP 2.2 is unbroken, the burden of proof is on you. You are the one making positive claims with the burden of proof. I highly suspect you don't have anything. I'm really interested to see what you've got though.

Could you create a hypothetical DRM authorization scheme such that an authorized process could have compute privileges on the hardware, and non-authorized processes could not - yes or no? And why? Please provide detail in your answer.

Yeah, people running Linux and other open driver stacks would probably be hosed. Sucks to be them, in this scenario. Why is that impossible in a technical sense, bearing in mind that the VBIOS in question will not generally allow you to run OpenCL or to push pixels out to an unauthorized display? Please provide detail in your answer.

I'm pretty sure you'll just pick a subset of these topic to address and pretend that it validates your point entirely. I really want to see your HDCP 2.2 breakthrough code though. You've talked a big game about how vulnerable HDCP is, it's time to put up or shut up. Read out some Netflix 4K clips for me, and push some code so I can do it too, if it's that easy to read out a HDCP 2.2 framebuffer.

Are you all talk, or no?

lmao what the gently caress is this?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Thinking about selling my 1070 that I paid $430 for in 2016 and then buying a 1170 or 1180.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

If you're gonna do it, do it now before the market burns down any further.

Preferably on CL or another local sales site so you don't have to worry about returns.

Plus the added excitement of possibly being robbed

It appears I'm not the only one who had this idea, and there's a few listed in the 700's and also one at $460 that's been there for a few days. Probably not worth it.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 2, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ItBurns posted:

This but arranged so that you can have a door open and they all spill out onto the floor and roll around.

lmao

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The 7970 was probably the best video card I’ve bought from a price/performance/longevity standpoint. My 1070 could probably last just as long though,

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

LRADIKAL posted:

Because you probably don't need the graphics card in any real meaningful way, and it's a way to err on the side of caution. I know there is the fantasy math of "get the most expensive card immediately so that you have the best thing for the longest time", but that's not an objectively positive thing. Sometimes products suck when they first come out, or are much more expensive. Does having the newest fastest card make your life better? Also, the ray tracing features won't be important for another few years, with some exceptions. a GTX 970 is the requirement for VR right now, and VR gaming is considered "high end". There aren't going to be many things that leverage the power and technology.
I'm totally going to buy one and flip one if pre-orders are available. I make enough money to speculate on something like this and sell it for an inflated price. I'll prey on the dumb. Welcome to capitalism.

:thunk:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

$499 for the 2070 is still a big jump considering the 1070 launched at what, $379?

You couldn't buy a 1070 for less than like $430 for a long time

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Hardocp has some benchmarks from FFXV that were up briefly. Looks like the 2080 ti is twice as fast as a 1070 at 1440P

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Review NDA is up today, right?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yep! https://twitter.com/thetechreport/status/1042397904823099392

It’s a beast

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 19, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The $430 I spent on a 1070 over 2 years ago seems like a pretty good deal in hindsight

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I sold my GTX 1070 to a friend and replaced it with a 2080 and I can't really tell much of a difference. I'm sure some of the new AAA games will change this though, newest game I'm playing now is Destiny 2

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

The 2080 is almost an exact sidegrade to the 1080ti in most performance benchmarks I've seen with the future fairy magic promises of ray-tracing, DX12 support and DLSS implementation. I upgraded to it from a 980ti, which I suppose is basically the 1070, and it's been one hell of an enhancement for Shadow of the Tomb Raider and AC Odyssey. Went from averaging low 40s @ 1440p with most settings in the High-Very High range in these games to Ultra everything and 70+ average FPS. Seems really easy to overclock as well. I should mention this also came with a CPU upgrade from an i5 4570 --> Ryzen 2700x though.

Yeah I figured it'd be a better buy than a 1080ti for a similar price. I also got a 9600K but haven't installed it yet, still running a 6700K for now. Can't wait to see what my Diablo 3 FPS are!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don't get the hate for the RTX, yeah they are expensive but still pretty good improvements over the prior gen even if the new features don't pan out. It's far from another 5800 Ultra/GTX 480 situation. The prices for GPUs have been hosed for a while

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

The 2080 delivers almost identical performance to the 1080 Ti, at a higher price currently than 1080 ti msrp, with less vram.
Not exactly something to get excited about.

Edit: I never had a geforce 4 mx. I did have a geforce2 ultra though :D

I bought a Gigabyte 2080 for $749, the cheapest new 1080ti right now is about $1,000 from what I could find.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

v1ld posted:

This gen was when I was finally going to upgrade from a 7970 and 1080p. I can't decide whether to wait it out or to get something now from last gen. And if last gen, should it be the 1070 Ti or 1080 Ti? Would the 1080 Ti keep me at 1440p ultrawide for a few years until there's hopefully some competition in this space again?

It's not clear there's a point to waiting it out if there's no competition next year either, which seems to be the case. So why not pick up a good 1440p ultrawide card right now and wait a few years, right?

Even if you buy into the ray-traced, upscaled future it's not obvious that a 2080 will be a more future-proof 1080 Ti in that it may well remain the under-powered/early stab early entry in technologies that eventually figure out how to succeed.

I bought the 7970 simply because it had more everything than the more expensive at the time 660 and even the 670 and it paid off as AMD got their driver act together over the next few years. Looks to me like the 1070/1080 Ti release was the equivalent great buy point of the last few years.

I went 7970 to 1070 to 2080 on a 34" 1440P at 95hz, the 1070 is a good deal at that resolution and I never had problems with it on my main display although it wasn't great at 4K. If you want to buy new you can pretty much only get a 1070/1070 ti right now though as the 1080 and 1080ti are way over MSRP so the next practical step up is the 2XXX. Buying used obviously changes the math but I was willing to pay an extra $200 or so for a new 2080 over a used 1080ti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

That is really tempting. Puts my total build at well under $2,500 after tax & shipping.