Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Sir Liquid Jerk posted:

So FF13 locked at 720p on the pc?

Yup, as was to be expected for a port that cost $10 at release. Well, unless you were for some dumb reason expecting it to have in-game resolution options and support a wide array of display and other graphical options like SOME people *leers at NeoGAF*

Don't worry though; Durante's gonna take care of it like Fix-it Felix.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

MGR was released at budget price and still managed to have a reasonable number of graphics and resolution options, you really don't have to apologise for one of the world's biggest developers and publishers releasing a half-arsed port of one of their flagship titles

Who am I apologizing for? I just didn't get my expectations up. Every FF console port S-E's released on steam so far has had a barebones launcher and VERY little in the way of added features. The battles in FFIV alone still run at like 15 or 20fps or whatever. People should have seen this coming. Also $10 is not $30 which is what MGR went for at release on PC, and was developed by a completely differrent company so I'm not sure how that matters

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Hace posted:

Resolution options aren't a feature, they're part of basic functionality.

And somehow... they aren't in the game. But hey keep on dreamin'.

v it is precisely because :effort: I'm sure Resolution Options are a thing that would require more working loving around in the crystal tools engine and hell if they're gonna roll that ball of wax again!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 9, 2014

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Well, when you make sweeping changes like altering your entire rendering resolution, you kinda want to make sure it doesn't gently caress something up along the way. Now extend that to the entirety of a game, all of the graphical effects in the game, all the ui options and special little things in your game. Well poo poo you're gonna want someone to test all that right? To give feedback and make sure it works correctly with no issues? And if it doesn't work well then crap we might have to drag the engine designers back in to try and find the issue and fix it and THEN test THAT fix to make sure it works. Repeat for every little issue in the game.

Basically they've already tested and have a relatively bug-free version of the game ready to go, and its this one. Any more than that and they'd have to employ more people specifically for the purpose of what they probably feel is not worth it, especially considering that price point. You can find FFXIII in any bargin bin for $10, I'm pretty sure they thought it wouldn't be reasonable to put all that effort into a title and then release it for $50 only for people to a.) Not buy it because they already played it/have it on another console or b.) Wait for a steam sale.

Hace posted:

The original FFXIV had resolution options, why would that be a limitation of crystal tools?

e: You don't have to defend SE dude, people are allowed to comment on how this is a bad port. Even for $15.

I'm not defending it :v: I swear. I know its bad, I just think its really, really funny that people still expected so much out of this port. Also yeah I forgot about FFXIV 1.0. I try hard to, every day.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 9, 2014

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

However, I do hope that SE keeps the PC in mind more often for future AAA titles especially if they are now doing things like designing games using the UE4 engine.

No excuses for the lack of better key mapping and a good UI to go with it though. That should have been included.

Yeah, I saw a screenshot before release of the keyboard config screen complete with the hand selection arrow and I was expecting at least remapping from what I saw. Also yes that's pretty much the reason I've been buying their FF re-releases; sorry to be the guy that's killing video games or whatever but I've played these games before and the lack of extra features doesn't bother me and I know what to expect. I'm just supporting them in the hope they decide they want to start bringing their future games (HELLO FFXV) to PC, and yes that they would include all the niceties that PCs allow.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

You're showing them that putting out half baked no-effort ports is making them money all right.

I'm AWARE of that, geez. I'm sure they see it from that viewpoint too! If no one buys these games though I'm really doubt they're gonna want to bring the whole series over.

And if you want to laugh even harder, I secretly want FFX HD Remaster and a FFXII Remaster to happen too!

Fister Roboto posted:

Somehow I don't think that a low-effort PC port is a risky venture for a company like SE.

I guess the idea is that they'd see there's a demand on PC for these FF games (especially considering FFXIV's popularity) and decide maybe they should have a PC version out at the same time as the console versions and maybe even start developing the game with PC features in mind! Or yeah they could just put out another barebones port!

I dunno about what SE is going to do, all I do know is there are a LOT of people out there on the internet and some of those people know how to fix up these poo poo ports so it's win/win for me!

Hace posted:

no you don't understand it's really hard upscale in DX9 it could break the whole game :(

Nah, probably not the WHOLE game. I know this was just you shitposting but its true. Durante's Dark Souls fix broke the visuals in certain parts of the game and he had to go back multiple times to update his fix to get around the issues. But hey, keep shitposting!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 9, 2014

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I never thought I'd have to point out the idiocy of "I'm going to give a company money for an inferior product in hopes that they makes something better in the future" and yet here I am.

But they're pretty much the same versions as their originals? I don't understand; YOU are the one perceiving them as inferior. How are they inferior? Compared to what? Again, the original versions? THEY'RE THE SAME. They might be inferior to other PC titles but that's on you, bub.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Please keep quibbling to justify your terrible financial decision. I'm really enjoying it.

HAHA, I have no issues with the money I spent for the game. You just keep responding with stupid nonsensical bullshit.

seizure later posted:

Japanese developers are special and do not need to bend to the whims of the PC gaming community. Basic functionality such as different resolution options? Feh. Be thankful you got this 4 year old game at all.

Man, I probably need to make this abundantly clear as you guys are bad at reading comprehension or something: These releases are fine to me, I don't have an issue with them. Everyone else? Yeah I guess it sucks but you should know what you're getting into. I fully expected this, and there's appparently a LOT of people who HOLY poo poo once again bought in and expected this amazing PC experience with a ton of extra features for TEN loving DOLLARS AHAHAHAHAH

I am failing to see how I'm the one making terrible financial decisions when I'm getting what I want at the very least as opposed to everyone buying these Japanese PC ports and expecting THIS TIME IT'LL BE BETTER SQUARE ENIX LOVES ME

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 9, 2014

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

seizure later posted:

I guess people assumed it was 10 bux because, you know, it's a four year old game and almost every other developer on the planet puts in the bare minimum of effort in making sure you at least have some customisation options because PCs aren't some uniform box where everyone has exactly the same setup.

But yes, it's everyone else's fault that nowhere before launch did they say "by the way you're pretty much getting the same experience as an emulator".

Well, lets look at what makes this company different, I guess.

First up, they're Japanese. Hello, language barrier! They probably don't listen to the American or Europe branches much anyway because Square-Enix Japan is the big one.

Now we've got them porting over a game directly from consoles, out of nowhere, for $10. I've exp-- Haven't I explained this already? I'm not doing it again.

Yes, everyone who pre-ordered this game when there were so many unknowns about the feature set and expected it to stack up to every other PC release (and then bitched about it!), without at least looking at the trend they've set with their other PC ports, are loving morons. How is this hard to understand?

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy this port if that's what you really want. I'm just laughing at the stupidity of

Again, how is this stupid? If I want those games to come to PC (and I don't think they're bad games, that was you putting that in your dumb analogy), then whats the alternative? What am I supposed to do? Go kiss rear end in their forums all day long? Write a letter? OH YEAH MAN THEY'RE GONNA LISTEN TO ME, ONE RANDOM DUDE

Mega64 posted:

Actually, with the recent remake on PS3, how likely is it we'll get X/X-2 on PC?

I don't know; I would imagine that would depend on how much interest there is for Final Fantasy games on the PC. Hmm, if only there were some quantifiable way to measure interest.... I KNOW! I'VE GOT IT!

...Let's lurk forums all day long!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 9, 2014

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

seizure later posted:

I guarantee that releasing Final Fantasy 13 in October of 2014 is not a huge financial risk for them.

"Out of nowhere" after releasing four other console or handheld ports on Steam previously and having their MMORPG also on the same store.

By all means, enjoy the game or whatever, but please stop pretending like SE should get a pass because they're loving Japanese or because they decided to release a four year old title for a reduced price.

Yes, it was out of nowhere. It was only announced like a month ago and even then it wasn't the official announcement where everyone found out; it was some dude looking at a website and seeing a steam icon. No one could have predicted that XIII was the next game coming out and had relatively little time to get any information out of them about it.

Again. I'm not defending them. Anyone who bitches about this game's featureset, and has not bought the game-- DUDE YES YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT! GOOD ON YOU!

Those people who bought into the game already and are just posting poo poo about how it did not live up to their expectations in terms of PC features? WHAT THE gently caress, WHY? (and so far that's actually been like NO ONE on this forum so I'm not even sure how this all got started, other than the usual knee-jerk reactions "ugh stop defending them!" I've come to expect from SA posters)

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

seizure later posted:

Buying FF13 on Steam today does not say "release the next one at the same time as the console version", it says "you can release it any number of years in the future and we'll still buy it" when it's considerably cheaper for them to do so. If anything, they're more likely to use the numbers from FF14 sales, both ver 1.0 and 2.0.

Yup, that possibility definitely exists. Now, I'm curious on your take on not buying any of those games tells them.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Apparently that's an emulated port of the Android version, which runs at 20fps and god only knows what resolution.

If you support SE releasing more games on PC, buy... Sleeping Dogs, FFXIV, and Tomb Raider, I guess. Honestly, I think their interest in releasing more of their own games on PC comes from the success of their published western games on Steam.

That is a really good point.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
No don't you get it man he's making fun of my purchasing decision see, because I am stupid and its SUPER funny. So much material to mine out of that one.

Himuro posted:

You need to chill, man.

yep I'm done *exits thread*

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 9, 2014

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Despair, obviously.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

It's not intuitive, and I haven't played the game in like 8 years so I can't remember exactly how to get to it. A lot of people never found out it existed. Play around on the Materia screen for a bit and you'll probably find it.

I'm pretty sure it is an option on the PHS screen.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I had a PC save and just took some screens; I'll post them in a second. Redemption!

Here's the arrange option:

And the exchange option!

You can cursor over the single materia, the character's name, or choose an entire row like shown:

Let's switch this materia on Big Balla's weapon here with a rude dude's...

... and done!

That big empty space on the right shows your materia so you can switch out from this screen but hey look this save is maybe an hour into the game?

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 14, 2015

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, I probably got it mixed up with that. You guys were definitely right-- it's in the Materia screen.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Sounds like they discovered those FFVII PC "high-quality" model packs!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Remake VII as a Full Motion Video Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHlE48D3moA

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
They did it. The crazy sons of bitches did it!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Sure, and I think it's ok to not be excited for the FF7 Remake. Now people will stop asking, it will... maybe? come out, and will piss off all of the same people who wanted it so badly because it wasn't exactly how they envisioned it.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 16, 2015

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

McDragon posted:

Just Cause Final Fantasy edition.

Attach a propane tank to a Malboro and send it flying off into space

Well I know what I'm modding into Just Cause 3 ASAP

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
But... most of the Final Fantasy games are good... I even like the story for most of them! According to a post in another thread this means I have brain damage, though.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 8, 2015

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Tae posted:

Tabata said they're adding Moogles to 15.

I hope some of them are recruitable party members so my Noctis can run around with his Moogle Crew all day every day.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Oh. Well, that's ok too!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Lightning goes with everything now.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

Don't use guns I think guns are like the worst weapon type in the game or something?

So I just made Balthier my red mage or something

Final Fantasy XII ZJS challenge: Machinist for everyone!

I thought the guns ignored defense?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

bloodychill posted:

It's real simple yo, you got this fangirl obsessed with this German electrometal band Time Kompression and she wants to get them to play at the prom but they're pretty awful so you and the rest of the student council have to stop her and get Hot Dogz to play instead and at some point you find out you all grew up in the same orphanage but forgot.

GFs are a hell of a drug

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I still haven't beat 12 yet, but every time I played I found the hunts challenging enough to be enjoyable, and this is considering how many weird challenge runs I end up doing for these games.

The hunts are great and I'm glad they're making a return in XV.

Haven't beaten 12 either, but the last time I played it was the translated IZJS version. I sort of did a challenge run where I made everyone Machinists, because guns in FFXII are awesome. I bought all the gambits and everyone ran around at hi-speed automatically gunning everything down and for some reason this was really amusing to me.

Somehow, I lost interest in this so I cheated and swapped my party members out for Espers, which was weird and cool and made it amusing again for maybe 10 minutes.

One of these days I'll actually play it right and finish the story.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Wendell posted:

I hope that the Vita version of World of FF runs well, because that's where I want to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nilnO7NnrUA

There's a few comparisons here in this video that start at 7:25. The framerate seems very stable with just a few effects toned down from the PS4 version.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
But most importantly: everything is adorable.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
As a huge fan of Mystic Quest I am greatly looking forward to World of Final Fantasy

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Ahh, classic Kytes.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm replaying FF6 and had a question about Espers: Is doing this swap in/out of certain Espers as characters are about to level up to gain more of a stat actually necessary for anything like supperbosses?

I don't remember doing any of this last time and I feel like I got by just fine, but I decided to read up on Espers this time around and... why??

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The only really important one in vanilla FF6 is Odin since he's permanently loseable if you transform him into Raiden and the only Esper which boosts speed which is a pretty useful stat.
Apparently in later versions you can get a Cactuar summon that has a better speed boost though.

I am playing original; good to know!

Sounds like I can just proceed as usual then with the Esper stuff for the most part. Also, now I want a Gambler job in FFXIV...

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I think I finally defeated the real superboss of FF6 - making the chicken theme usable!

(Playing on SNES, had to recreate in emulator)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

Whenever I get around to replaying 6, should I play the mobile version or just stick with the SNES version?

The SNES version has been fine for me so far, granted I had to refresh my memory of the various bugs about it beforehand. That being said the mobile/steam version's graphics aren't as horrendous as people make it out to be, it's fine, and that version has most if not all of the GBA version content and QoL stuff.

EDIT: and if you don't like the graphics of the new version you can just mod it, apparently...

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 19, 2019