Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

It's not boring if you balance postgame enemies so that they're still challenging with that equipment.

As far as I can tell, the "balance" with using maxed level 3 weapons is that it gets harder to get 5 stars in every fight. Which matters in exactly 0 ways by the time you can realistically get even one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I registered for Hard Mode earlier, and I'll probably end up doing it on the PSX version, since I kinda want to see if the translation's as hilariously awful as I remember (Salsa for a character name immediately springs to mind).

Besides, the way I see it adding the menu lag will add extra "challenge" that'll otherwise be lacking. I don't think any party that I'll get rolled will be as annoying or difficult as a Berserker SCC :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Speaking of Berserkers, I just compared the amount of money raised thus far to the amount of players under "Berserker Risk." Everyone under that is guaranteed at least one already, and 4 particularly unlucky individuals are granted 2 of them. I can't say I'm particularly envious of those people.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

What's the donation count at? Last few times I've visited the main site, the Chip In bar only said $502, and there's 69 people doing Berserker risk.

It was at $737 when I checked earlier today, and no one else had signed up for Berserkers. I think that's pretty impressive in itself, really, since it hasn't even started yet and it's almost halfway to its goal.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

So what happens if someone gets four Berserkers, say through a combination of hard mode and Berserker risk? Has anyone ever actually beaten Neo-Exdeath on a four-Berserker run?

Because I'm full of bad ideas, I'm working on it very slowly (currently at Sandworm, so check back with me on that one in about 7 months when I'll finally be either at, or barely past, Soul Cannon :v:) but as far as I'm aware, Neo-Exdeath is flatout impossible in any realistic sense. With an infinite number of attempts at the fight, you might be able to win eventually but since there's 6 possible targets in the fight (which is an identical issue to the Sandworm), as well as such fun things as White Hole, Grand Cross and Almagest to contend with on top of a relatively hefty actual HP amount to cut through it'd take a very long time.

...And since Necrophobe is most likely impossible as well, you don't have the luxury of starting almost right outside Exdeath's door every time you want to try either.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So has revenantkioku's run started yet or is that tonight?

I think his run is supposed to start at midnight on the 15th (Japan Standard Time, for... some reason I'm not sure of) which was about 8 hours ago. Whether it actually did or not, I can't tell since I can't find any indication of it at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bellmaker posted:

Sup Monk/Berserk buddy :(

Monk/Berserker wasn't too bad, I found. Then I got Black Mage at the Fire Crystal which was kinda nice... so naturally, I ended up getting Berserker again at the Earth Crystal. :suicide:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It's this guy:

Also, he's vulnerable to petrification.

Yeah, I read that somewhere else as well but is it actually true? Like, even when using Catoblepas from the Magic Lamp it doesn't work never mind relying on casting Break a billion times hoping that it might actually stick. Plus, when I checked several other things they all had Petrification listed on that segment's immunities too which makes the issue kinda confusing.

e; Okay, yeah, it is true. Somehow managed to work first try this fight. Now I just have to not get screwed over by Grand Cross while I whittle down that and the physical part.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 17, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I'll also confirm that I've had Catoblepas from the Magic Lamp petrify the Almagest section of Neo-Exdeath. Happened in one of my attempts on my Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer run. (Sadly, I did not win that attempt.)

I just got what I can only assume is incredibly lucky with Break, which ended up leading to this:

Hurray. Not quite the first person, either on the forum or in the fiesta, to finish but given what I was dealt I'd say it went surprisingly well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Xillah posted:

Arrrgh, Purobolos keep using arise. Any advice? I get down to two then BAM back upto 5 or 6.

They have a very low amount of MP (100) and they'll run out very quickly as a result of that. Useful if you're lacking AoE attacks at least, and it only takes about 2 casts before they can't do it any more.

Alternatively, you can wittle them all down to very low HP and let them all self-destruct rather than revive each other.

E; added a few missing words :downs:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 18, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ShadeofDante posted:

A friend of mine is trying to get through the Pyramid right now but has classes Dancer, Geomancer, White Mage, Mystic Knight. Is there a way outside of hoping Gaia will kill both at once to make the fight possible for winning?

Along with the Sleep Blade, as mentioned already, Moore is just a short walk to the northwest of the pyramid. When there, you can pick up either the Brave Blade or Chicken Knife. Brave Blade is Knight only though, so getting the Chicken Knife is probably a better idea especially if you give it to the Dancer.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Xillah posted:

Seething, loving crystals. I don't have fire rings. I have one fire shield. Running with thief/beserker /geomancer / dragoon. Levels are in the low 30s. Any advce other than my current plan which is grind, kill my beserker, take them out one at a time.

You still got a Death Sickle for your Berserker? If so, equip that since it can work on all the crystals;

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Shinryu is really easy with pretty much any job if you Berserk him right away. Every attack he makes kills a target, but you have 4 guys so you can revive them faster than he kills them :v: don't even have to heal, just phoenix down them and leave them near death since it's one hit anyway.

It helps if your party is fast enough to move before he can though; with the guys I'm using he sometimes gets 2 or even 3 turns before I can revive someone. Annoyingly, it's not consistent either so sometimes it happens immediately other times it happens after 2 or 3 minutes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

If you've finished and got your victory verified then you can re-register with the same account, I think, yeah. Though if you do that, you can't use your previous run for Omega and/or Shinryu any more.

...Which is why I went and did this first:

I'm pretty sure Omega's impossible with my current party so I'm not even gonna bother trying on this run (well, trying again; gave it a shot already and I lasted somewhere in the region of 40 seconds). Hopefully I'll get something that lets me do it on my next attempt.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bellmaker posted:

In FFV is there any good way to deal with Gil Turtle using !Mix? As a Monk/Berserker/Bard/Chemist I'm thinking that's the only way, but maybe I'm wrong

It's undead, but immune to holy attacks. Give your Bard the Apollo Harp or, if you don't have it, spam Requiem. Use the Chemist to give yourself Float (!Mix Antidote + Maiden's Kiss) to avoid his Earthquake upon death.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 21, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mazed posted:

Can't forget, Gogo = [Gestahl/Daryl/Leo/Baram/whoeverthefuck] A character that exists purely for the sake of screwing around with combat mechanics, zero actual characterization.

Best theory on that is Gogo is Adlai Stevenson. The whole idea is just so nonsensical and out there that it's amazing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Freelancer can wear any equipment and can equip two abilities. They automatically benefit from all passive abilities from all the jobs that class has mastered, except the ones that have a downside like Berserk, and as a result, they also have the stat boosts from all mastered jobs.

I think that it also only applies to ones that a class has by default, with the sole exceptions of Berserk and Undead. A Freelancer won't have innate Two-Handed just from mastering Knight, for example.

E;

And, hell, speaking of V, I recently learned that (realistically) there is one boss fight a team of 4 Berserkers cannot defeat*. That one? Neo Exdeath. It's possible, I guess, just with a billion caveats and won't really ever happen without being stupidly lucky.

You might be wondering about Omniscient, then.

He's doable with an Air Knife and two Mage Mashers. The only issue is that sometimes you need to restart the fight manually since there's a set number of fights you can get when you start that's chosen from whenever he uses Reset (in this case). If one of them doesn't end with you winning, you'll be running it ad infinitum with no progress ever being made.

*This was brought up in the thread before and I've been working on it, sorta, since before even then. 4 Berserkers is not the most fun I've had with this game, let's put it that way. :v:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 13, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The prospect of yet another loving sequel is pretty ridiculous unless they find some really amazing way to freshen it up.

I'm surprised such a thing would even get greenlit based on the sales figures posted earlier. If they're accurate, 13-2 sold very slightly over 1/3rd the copies of 13. You'd think that alone would make them realise it's a bad idea and move onto something else, or at least finally make Versus 13 something other than a half-decade spanning vaporware joke.

But, nope! That would make too much sense for modern day Capcom Square-Enix.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

how the hell are they gonna make the two character controls work like this

They aren't.

Now, since there was a plot relevant reason for having 2 screens originally how they rationalise that will be... interesting, to say the least. Y'know, assuming they even try to.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Kingdom Hearts also has the benefit that the combat is absurdly fun, and whilst the plot is balls out crazy you can easily just skip the scenes if you don't care for it and just want to have a fun time setting things on fire with Donald Duck. It certainly has its audience anyway, though; I mean, hell, Mark Hamill and Leonard Nimoy were in at least one of them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

If Titan does return, you better get to fight him this time. The one little bit of optimism I had going through those 60-something goddamn repetitive fights in the pretend Calm Lands was that the final one would be taking him on. Would've been more worth it than "have new turtles to grind on! An actual reward? Oh right, um... here an accessory you'll never use."

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Oh man. Those vocals are horrendous. :wtc:

It's kinda funny how cheesy and bad the vocals are, but this song would be legit awesome for boss music if it were instrumental.

The best part? There is an instrumental version on a single consisting solely of that, the original in-game version, and a fairly meh remix.

Azure_Horizon posted:

No, all anyone could actually think is, "that is the goddamn worst line in a jRPG."

I'unno, compared to, say, "YOUR NAME IS HOPE, YOU GIVE US HOPE!/WE'RE JUST PETS! :byodame:" Squall's silly inner-monologues, that one included, are the JRPG equivalent of like Chaucer or something.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Loving Life Partner posted:

Uhh nobody does this in FF7 (unless I'M crazy)

Yeah, they do. So long as they aren't KO'd, anyone not in the active party gains... I wanna say about half the normal EXP for a fight too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

What? That game is an unpolished, glitch-ridden mess.

Whereas Final Fantasy VI... isn't?

Being glitchy and being bad are not always the same thing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yuna's summons are not kiled instantly

A few bosses have Banish, which does exactly that. So, yeah, they are.

Not that it matters, since some people have gone through the entire game as just Yuna without ever touching the Summon command for some bizarre reason.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

I actually have no idea who did the VI remix I linked above. :iiam:

S.S.H (Saitama Saisyu Heiki); he's done a ton of great remixes of other stuff. Have a couple of the more relevant ones.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I just really hope they don't have Ali Hillis speak in that deep monotone they've been having her do as Lightning when LIGHTNING RETURNS rolls around, but the odds of that are sadly unlikely.

I just hope if one good thing comes out of it, it can be something as utterly non-serious as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7dOOy8kBJY

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, some of these are great because they pick the absolute best screenshots to go with the overlaid text. Most are pretty unfunny, low effort bullshit - or trying way too hard - but that shouldn't come as a surprise.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, so it's something like this. Use magic over and over to make it better, even if it's totally useless at that level. Be more accurate to get more accurate, and use a shield to dodge things better. Don't dual wield, and don't use low accuracy weapons like axes.

I think my favourite thing about the FF2 stat mechanics is, if I'm remembering it right, you gain agility purely by having agility. Not doing things with it, not getting turns, not hitting or dodging, just having the stat. And the higher it is, the more (likely?) it increases.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ross posted:

In FF13 can you upgrade more than one weapon (per character) to "ultimate" status or do you have to pick just one? Or is this technically possible but requires embarrassing levels of grinding?

Getting a single weapon to level 3 requires embarrassing levels of grinding (though once you've got one you can get the rest somewhat easier). You could do that for every base weapon for every character if you really wanted to, but it's kinda pointless.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

QuantaStarFire posted:

Also, which Cid placed? There's one for practically every game.

All of them. You could fill the entire list with just Cids otherwise.

I'm more surprised both Firion and Minwu placeed from FF2, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Isn't that the point, though?

If so, that makes Barthandelus the main character which I can't see anyone trying to argue for some reason.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Before FF13 came along, Xenosaga Ep I was The Biggest Anime.

On the other hand, Star Ocean 4.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but this is what they'll be sticking on the game's cover and on every bit of marketing and promotional material.

It also seems like it's going to be what she wears in cutscenes and the waiting/exploring moments. Y'know, the stuff that takes up far more time than combat. It's all well and good having less ridiculous attire for when you're fighting (and even then only sometimes), but when you're looking at the dumbest thing for 99% of the game, that 1% is hardly a defence.

Or, arguably, even worth it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I wouldn't mind another remake of FF3 if it actually modernized it a bit. :smith:

I'd be content with a FF3 remake that managed to make the game not completely awful. I'm not sure if current Square can manage it, but I'd like to see that anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Also, I refuse to believe that the summon drops in any version of FFIV exist. I've played through that game a dozen times and have never seen one whether I was intentionally farming for it or not :colbert:

I intentionally farmed for one of them exactly once, just to see what they were like. After at least four hours, I finally got one.

e; That said, when I played the DS version I also got one. From my very first fight.

...Almost as if it was a cruel joke, they were both Goblin. :negative:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The name; it should've been in red which basically means "if you try to fight this thing, you will almost definitely lose*." Fortunately that dinosaur won't attack you unless you piss it off by attacking it first.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

it's also funny because, for example, the final L'Cie Crystal Mission monster, who is one of the toughest optional enemies, had really, really low HP.

:psyduck: What metric are you using where 16 million is "really, really low?" Especially when nothing else has that much, or even more. The HP values for enemies gets ridiculously large really fast, to the extent where once fights with regular encounters have maybe 5000+ in total, bosses that come on their own have several hundred thousand (because more time consuming = harder, I guess). And it just keeps rising from there.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 27, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Winks posted:

I remember it being useful in 7 and 10.

That's incredibly weird, because Sight wasn't in 7 or 10. There's no reason for it to be in anything after 4, because all it does/did is open the world map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

He might be thinking of Scan.

Maybe, but that's a bit of a leap when the stuff he quoted only mentioned Sight and AMUT. Still, looking at it like that it's sorta true for X but I dunno why you'd really bother ever casting it as a spell when plenty of equipment comes with it essentially as a passive ability. It's okay in 7, I guess, until partway through Disc 2 when it just stops working on everything that lasts long enough to maybe warrant it (I'm guessing this is due to max HP being over 65,535 or something but it's still kinda annoying).