Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Since everyone won't stop talking about pink-haired female Raiden, I would like for someone to sell me on any of the trilogy. Keep in mind, I only played FFIV a bit- post Mist Dragon murder and subsequent bombing- and have most of my FF hours sunk into FFRK. And as far as other genres go? Well... I like the shoostings and Diablo 3's mechanics are warming up to me.

In Training posted:

Lightning is absolutely nothing like Raiden.

I said sell me on it not further ruin it for me

widespread fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you think you can ride this chocobo?

A bit of a cliche response to listing XIII-2's positives but sometimes a cliche is the best answer.

As for other reasons to play XIII-2...uh....I'd say Caius but that tends to be a Love It or Hate it subject. I liked Noel but again, L/H. Hm. It's an extremely bizarre romp where the developers were clearly just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what stuck. It has puzzles, QTE's, quiz games, multiple endings, time travel, and much more. It's hard to pin down exactly why I like the game, to be honest.

But yes, Lightning is nowhere near as cool as Raiden. She reminds me more of the old Dante who the writers clearly though twas so cool but in reality he was anything but.

First off, by old Dante, you mean "before snarky little poo poo Dante from DMC4"?

Secondly, I'd rather take a cliche since well... apparently XIII is the one that seems to literally take the title "Worst Final Fantasy game in the series", excluding spinoffs.

And thirdly, ow the edge who thought this was a good idea

Not sure on the chocobo. Get back to me on that.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Augus posted:

Crazy Chocobo and DMC3+4 Dante are tryhard edgy now? Did I wander into the Bad Opinion Zone again?

No, you didn't. It's just I absolutely forgot pretty much everything about DMC3 and most of 4, then went off of 5.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Baal posted:

What the gently caress is happening in this thread

I asked people to sell me on "Lightning's FantastIcal Journey: The Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy", then someone made a Dante comparison, my mind went to Donte instead, and now we got this far.

Related, but should I stick to XIII-2 and LR then?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly just play LR if you're not going to play FFXIII. XIII-2 is really not worth it on its own.

Fair enough. I wasn't gonna play XIII anyways since a) I can't be hosed to hook up my 360, and b) the PC port is still 60 loving GB why can't they just compress it in a patch god dammit

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait why are we talking about this in the FF thread :confused:

Someone compared Lighting to DMC1/2 Dante. Plus I dunno maybe Lightning's getting a schemata of Dante's outfit

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard of that game but I recall nothing in detail. Was it really good?

One thing I've noticed about that game is the ridiculous gun mods. Like, you could put a scope on top of a scope on top of a silencer which was in front of a silencer which was oh god I've gone crosseyed

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Baal posted:

Eclaire Farron

Clair Farron is fair on eclairs.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

bloodychill posted:

"Chocolate" Eclair Farron, Sergeant of the Cocoon Guardian Corps reporting for duty.

What a good contribution to this Final Fantasy thread.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough. It's been so long since I beat 'vanilla" FFVII that I recall very little about its easiness or difficulty.

I was thinking of getting it on PS4 but I might just pass. It sounds boring as gently caress, which I don't remember.

I mean, I should get it too on the PC since FOR SOME REASON I'm getting that minmax equipment sperg itch.

Or I could just get VIII which has no rerelease on anything I own. :v:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Szurumbur posted:

Unless you're willing to engage in a semantic argument about "what 'bullshit hard' really means" this is patently untrue, there are at least three roadblocks I can think of in Chapter 1, namely Dorter Trade City, the First Wiegraf fight and the Algus fight.

And FF VII PS4 version with cheats is great, I just play with Boost on all the time and don't care - though truth be told I could easily manage without it, it's not hard and won't save you from status effects or being one-shot, either through Death or straight damage, but otherwise Boost combined with No Encounters makes for a great, relaxed experience. And Boost plus Turbo makes learning Limit Breaks or grinding for Mythril fairly easy, too (even though I've grinded into more than a hundred fights before getting the buggy, thankfully the item is either fixed or I was lucky getting it on the second chance).

No Encounters? What the gently caress does that do, remove the random mobs and give you straight bossfights when they happen?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Szurumbur posted:

There are three built-in cheats in the PS4 version:
Boost: you HP/MP are maxed after being lowered and your LIMIT bar is maxed without any need to take damage (you do spend the points/bar, so you can still be one-shot, but generally you're invincible)
Turbo: everything but the cutscenes/FMVs moves 3 times as fast as it normally would
No Encounters: random encounters are disabled, only fixed and boss encounters remain

It's great, and they don't even disable trophies if you're into that, as I am. One of my gripes with FF VII was that you only had access to "Less Encounters" materia, and even that was a reward in Gold Saucer.

Spiffy. Now, are these in the Steam release as well or is it a PS4 exclusive?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Barudak posted:

There is a new secret true ending which is just an unwinnable boss-fight against The Creator from After Years.

Does said boss fight have you play as the really really bullshit version of Beatrix?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Meanwhile, I'm getting into FFIV. First off, the ability to save anywhere feels pretty good, if not awkward. Secondly, is it me or was MIDI common on SNES? And thirdly, does C/Kain's Jump or Decil's Dark Wave cost anything besides time?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So basically be reckless with Jump and try not to Dark Wave too much. Got it.

bloodychill posted:

Jump may seem pointless but it can save your butt in a few later battles. And yeah, Dark Wave drains HP, so don't be too reckless with it.

Doesn't Jump do more damage than a regular attack?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I'm just gonna leave this here because the idea was too good to pass up and I might have had Gilgamesh there survive Brynhildr's onslaught with retaliation in FFRK.

Sorry if this derails anything but uh...yeah.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Momomo posted:

Nothing was more satisfying then Lightning doing 99999 damage to Bart in that first fight, taking him from half health to pretty much none. That game really, really wants you to go all out offensive.

Or just use Lightning for every battle, every playthrough. :v:

... I might or might not be installing LR at this point.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

What if Lightning is my God

Listen I've only just started LR and I am more than convinced that they pretty much made Lightning a god drat time lord.

Not to mention the combat system, hoo. First few fights were "Hold this button, switch schemata, hold this button again, switch schemata, repeat ad nauseum".

In fact, I almost noped out of the game once I jumped into a pole.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Gologle posted:

I CAN'T loving BELIEVE FFXV IS COMING OUT SOOOON AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :kingsley: The best part is that we still know next to nothing about the game, and I love that.

Now that is nonsense. We know it's about a boy band going around the world, and that suspiciously dressed mechanic is Cid as a female.

Fake Edit: Also I think the main boy has daddy issues? Still. That's more than next to nothing, I'd say.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Level Slide posted:

If that one trailer was anything to go by, I think it was called Dusk or Dawn or something, Regis is actually a cool dad with a functional relationship with Noctis.

Oh right. But there's bound to be a dad issue somewhere. Even if the dad issue here is just "He's not reaching dad-tier as he ages".

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It was renamed Final Fantasy XV.

Yeah I realized that after reading some posts here. Which kinda sucks because I had to stop playing LR early on mainly because it was just too :catstare: for me. I'm not sure what just killed me on it: Hope mentioning taking souls to salvation or that Lighting ISN'T a time lord, but rather Anime Jesus Christ.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

bloodychill posted:

It means that unless a trap is used, every fight temporarily halts. It broke up the gameplay in a way I found frustrating more than satisfying.

If you were to watch where the monster runs, then paintballing would be less important. Obviously it's flat required for flying monsters/if you bothered to grab a skill that makes you sense when to catch a monster. But if I remember correctly, the monster limps towards an area entrance, then flies off if it can.

Moldy Taxes posted:

I've heard of a few issues people have with Monster Hunter that, while I disagree with I can understand where they're coming from, but I don't know how paintballing is troublesome when the game dumps them on you through low rank and after two or three large monsters you understand that this is going to be A Thing You Do.

And while you can't outright buy paintballs, you can still duplicate the mats with the Wycoon.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

bloodychill posted:

It helps that pretty much any decent venue will not give a poo poo about the you smoking but they might throw you out if you start hugging random people and they get complaints. Molly is popular for certain types of shows though.

I would assume molly would at least make people use the flashier moves in any FF, also. But, are there like sectioned off areas for smokers that happen to have a weed cig in their hand? Or is it just "light up anywhere, just don't go apeshit alright"?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

bloodychill posted:

The latter. A good rule to follow for shows is just to not be a jerk unless you're somehow at an old punk show or something. People are usually enjoying the band or too drunk/high to notice what you're up to anyway.

Man. Decent venues for good gigs sounds rad as gently caress, man. Assuming no one goes rear end in a top hat high or somethin'.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

February for some reason has a bunch of very highly anticipated games dropping at the same time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_video_gaming#January.E2.80.93March

XCOM 2, Fire Emblem, Street Fighter 5

You forgot one that should count because it's the other relevant FF game due. :colbert:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

So I cracked open my copy of LR finally and spent an hour shopping for new clothes and then another hour messing with their colors.

Then I fought some big dragon thing that some lady was freaking out about. I have no idea what's happening in the story and Hope wont shut up.

This may be the best Final Fantasy though.

Wait wait wait, there's a clothing shop? gently caress. I missed that. Gonna have to go back and go on a motherfuckin' shopping spree.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

There are a couple around that starting town and I bought all of them and then I bought all the little decorations and proceeded to ignore the ticking death clock.

Oh poo poo. That sounds like a much better game already.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

OKAY, and LR just lost me again. I think it has to do with the... how do I put it... excessive religious babble. Like, before, it was fine. But this loving Inquisitor tasked with figuring out a murder scene is just like "oh these dudes should embrace God and see the purity and all that". And I'm not sure if this free Deathless mask is even helping things. Or ANY of the free DLC consoles had (save for Aerith Garb :smith:)

I have to ask. Does Lightning even realize she's helping a stable time loop? Or is this beyond time loops.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

there is no time loop in lightning returns.

Oh. Are we still hampering humanity as a whole in the game or are we actually on a right path of sorts?

Better yet, why am I asking. I should just let that death clock run and gently caress around.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Your complaints are sort of odd in a game where God is the loving villain. I'm not even spoiling that it's absurdly obvious from the start and half the game is dedicated to Lightning going "Hm, well, God is a poo poo but I DO want to see my sister again."

Like you're getting Internet Atheist here on a game where people frantically embracing religion is unambiguously painted as a bad thing. It ends with Lightning literally killing God while shouting God is dead and that they're freeing humanity from the chains of religion.

Oh. Well... huh. Should have picked up on that from the first trip into Lightning's head.

But yeah, I will be honest. I get that there's heavy handed religion-based plots in other JRPGs but... I guess here it just rubs off as getting close to edgy status? I dunno. Probably just me.

NikkolasKing posted:

You've played the previous two games, right? Well just know that, Destiny was 2-0 against our heroes but after LR it will be 2=1.

I believed I skipped to the end for gameplay/HDD reasons. Plus a goon ITT suggested I go right to it anyway some pages ago.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it either clicks with you or it doesn't.

Pretty much. But you know what would click, regardless of that? Gilgamesh with guns. :v:

But really, though. Sometimes ya gotta say "Nah, I'll skip this installment". Helps ease stress on poo poo, y'know.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So before I get back into LR, I just have to ask: Am I combatting wrong if all I do is do full combo hold-the-button attacks then schemata swap? Like, I know I should guard and bring pots but... when does combat get a bit more involved?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You're going to get wrecked really hard later on if you don't set up defensive abilities. Also you shouldn't be holding the button. Attacks have timed press (sort of like Mario) where if you successfully pull it off you deal more damage. You should be tapping as you hit/as you cast the spell instead.

Oh. Well that is real good to know, actually. But when do I get the defensive stuff? Post-Luxerion? Or do I just happen upon them.

Also I now have a reason to actually use the boss rematch feature a LOT more..

EDIT:

Dr. Mog a contender for best moogle?

Help Im Alive posted:

Those moogles are all of us in the FF megathread

Fang is Sunning making good posts about the video game industry

Who's gonna be on the staff though.

widespread fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 29, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm curious who 13's Chaos rep would be. A Ruin-spamming Dysley? Caius, technically not being from the game be damned? Joke option Yaag Rosch, the Man Who Died Thrice?

Actually Cid might work if not for the name, and even that won't be an issue if they're throwing out the plot.

God or bust, man. Though that could be a huuuuge spoiler for those who weren't into the trilogy. But yeah, Caius and Evil Snow. Also Brynhildr maybe.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

E:^^^ Nomura wanted Kain in from the original Dissidia IIRC. It's about them, not fans. We love Gilgamesh but he was put in for being a recurring character.

Dissidia doesn't seem to have qualms with spoilers, what with every stage in the PSP games being the final dungeon and the presence of Cloud of Darkness and Ultimecia, but from what I've seen I don't think the Big B would be a particularly good option for a normal-sized humanoid fighting game fighter.

Point. Though the main badguy could pretty much be one of them AI controlled bosses. Or the loving tutorial levels since GOTTA HAVE LIGHTNIN' TEACH YA HOW TO PLAY.

So safe choices would definitely be Caius/Evil Snow. But my choice goes to Brynhildr.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

zedprime posted:

But anyway, Caius can't be a bad guy because he is a good guy.

So basically if we had Caius, we'd have to remove Lightning, which might be a no-go. And it's bupkis, I tell you. I haven't played 13-2 but HOT drat DO I LIKE THE IDEA OF BEING CAIUS.

Unrelated, but in LR, if I get the opening attack as a Perfect Attack, can I just mash to get more Perfect Attacks? Or do I have to time really loving spot-on on PC where I don't think I got >30 FPS somehow.

EDIT:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Every individual attack in a chain needs to be timed correctly for all of them to get a perfect timing bonus. It's not too bad once you work out the rhythm for each particular attack you're using.

But I'm already at four different attacks equipped. (Attack, Blizzard, Thunder, Shinespark Sparkstrike Lv. 2 somehow). At least Guard is pretty easy for low-power spells like Aero.

widespread fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 30, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Yechezkel posted:

Well, hello there.

From this video, which is still a livestream as of now.

Villain or Villain's Sidekick? Because if Villain... well, I can just see the comments about a boy band vs some leather-clad Dark Knight woman or some poo poo.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Yechezkel posted:

I like the sound of this :madmax:

:torgue: I do too. :torgue:

Yechezkel posted:

UNCOVERED: FINAL FANTASY XV
Wednesday, March 30
7pm Pacific
Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California

Sorry Europe, that's 4am CEST.

Holy poo poo, if I wanted to, I could go there in an hour.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

To be honest, I will stop calling XV "The Final Fantasy With The Boy Band" if it turns out it's loving awesome.

And my apologies for going sorta off-topic buuuut...

And the worst is I somehow cannot get it to run at 60 even though I've a GTX 750 Ti Superclocked card AND an AMD A8-6600k CPU.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Tempo 119 posted:

I like that every 13-related game ends with the player instigating the collapse of human society. Really makes me feel like I accomplished something.

Also icymi Wildlands is Academia 1000

Final Fantasy 13-4: Now It's Hope's Turn To Destroy Society Somehow.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

And yeah, Diabolos was a jerkass. Fenrir too for that matter.

Real talk, I see MH's Diablos whenever someone mentions Diabolos.

Here's MH's Diablos:

He has a tendency to charge and burrow underground in the middle of a loving hot desert, and yet he's not even the worst monster in said desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So once more, I'm back to going through LR. Reading the little loading blurb about the Oracle Drive doohickey I found made me realize that, well, people in the Warren- maybe everywhere in this new country/city-state/etc- are loving dumb mainly for going "Oh, this thing says this'll happen so best not do anything to change it, even as this woman who's gonna make this happen runs around committing genocide to the Niblets and Gremlins". Special note to how I only stopped two deaths out of the 901 daily ones or whathaveyous by killing a few small monsters in pursuit of getting timing down.

Is this supposed to make me feel a bit empathetic towards Lightning? Because if I was in a reality where my sis's fiance becomes evil and is in charge of a religious city to a point of declining common sense, I'd lean towards Miss Genocider With The Pink Hair.