Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So far my main takeaway from FFXII PC has been damnit square would it kill you to have the sticks control the menu cursor too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want to dive into 12 properly but I might wait for patches and or the modding community to have at it first. I feel like there's a lot of little QoL tweaks it could use, just from my quick sample.

I notice it's denuvo'd - will that hinder modding efforts? (And is modding likely to happen, or has my time over at fallout warped my expectations for getting mods that fix annoying things)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 5, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't read the bio and just end up assuming the characters are whatever they seem to be. Playing VI, I guessed Celes was late 20s. Young for a General, but super-gifted. And the game was perfectly fine thus.

It was also better that she was a pixelated sprite and I was free to just assume she had proper armour on. Or at the very least, pants.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 5, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Onmi posted:

Side note I find it funny people ascribe Basch any personality in FFXII that isn't "Failed Samurai attempting to regain his honor." He has like... no interaction with Ashe, and plays no role in her character growth from realizing she's being manipulated and her hungry quest for power and revenge is pointless. Vaan has probably the biggest chunk of that role, followed by Balthier a little and incidental parts from Larsa and Reddas

Didn't 12 have the issue that they moved 'main player protagonist' away from Basch midway through because they wanted a young anime teenager lead, so a bunch of his role got robbed and left him empty?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay.

I remember at the time the initial info actually made me think Balthier was main.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, I say go SNES. The original script's wacky, you see more screen, and most importantly, the soundtrack sounds way better on the processor it was designed for and didn't have to be mangled into the GBA sound chip, and the soundtrack of FFVI is the most important bit.

GBA's okay, though, just as long as you don't play the mobile phone or steam abominations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Or modded the gba version to have the good music?

Hmm, looks like the GBA version has a sound restoration hack and a color restoration hack (the colors on the GBA one are hosed due to being designed for the GBA's mediocre screen). I saw a few precompiled roms of that floating around, though can't link because filez. But that'd be what you want if you go GBA.

The screen's still cramped and too small, and I still say the woolsey translation is charming, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Your Computer posted:

It's kinda making me want to play FFXIV though.

...and then I remember that FFXIV still doesn't have antialiasing in TYOOL2018 and with all the flickering, spell effects and ridiculous UI elements it's too much for me :(

Can you antialias it with ReShade.me? (Formerly SweetFX)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yerp. I’m phone posting but google it, it’s good

Google the Black Mages version while you're at it.

Even if you've already heard it, just listen to it again, because you can.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Remember when Snow was just called 'Mr 33cm'. Good times.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now that this game is on PC I'm sure there'll be mods to give Vaan and Fran shirts and Basch a ponytail soon enough.

Well, Fran might take longer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is the first final fantasy game I haven't emulated and man these games suck without being able to just quit whenever you want with direct resume.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I remember being so let down when they told us Cor wasn't a main party member. He was clearly better than the other four.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After playing FFXII for a bit I'm genuinely considering switching to an English patched International Zodiac Edition on a PS2 emulator just so I can have custom controls, savestates, speed and window management.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But guns are cool. :(

I might make Balthier a red mage mechanist anyway just for style.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Squeenix should make a Chocobo virtual pet game with breeding for mobile.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, but not having the eternal tension of just running around waiting for that horrible screen-blur and then the camera starts panning dramatically across the battle map and the opening bars of the music are starting to make your blood boil as the characters pose and you sloooooowly wait until you're allowed to tap the one button to smack this incredibly boring trash mob and then two steps later it happens again

makes up for a lot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait so the diamond armlet is the reason everything's a knot of rust all of a sudden?

It's... kinda dull. Is it really worth keeping this thing on?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gotcha, wait until 2020 to buy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

The intro whole loving soundtrack was definitely the best thing about CC

anyone that disagrees with this is objectively wrong and a bad person

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Relin posted:

why does ff12hd have an option under music for both "original" and "OST" =_=

Original was recorded from being played on a PS2 synth, OST was the same tracks played on a better quality synth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Does the Witcher even have one highland cow analogue rendered lovingly in 32K TressFX Hairworks EXTREME ULTRA settings?

I thought not.

Hah, hairworks performance was a serious issue on Witcher, best result was a mod that would disable hairworks on the protagonist but enable it on monsters, because it was set so high on Geralt's lustrous locks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BrightWing posted:

Very superficially it is, having been Versus XIII at some point. Noct is basically a l'cie doing the will of the gods and what not but that's about where it ends in the product we got. For the best imo.

Every time I hear FFXIII terminology I want to introduce my head to my desk, so severing that was very much for the best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Christ.

I'm not sure what's going on here. It looks like rather than scaling the entire screen in post, they've scaled each tile individually with filter, disregarding the fact that pixels on the edge of tiles would react differently to the filter if there was a bordering pixel present, leading to the tiling issues along the top and left. And it looks like there might've been brightness normalisation going on there too making them all different brightness? And I'm pretty sure the active sprites were upscaled with a different filter to the background sprites.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In FFXII, I know guns are generally trash. Are handbombs any good? Or is it just bows as the only decent ranged weapon. (What about crossbows?)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 28, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"Wow this fantasy world is so immersive. There's like 5 city blocks of town in this state capital and there's endless wilderness right outside its gates! Look there's even a little nomad village just an hours jog away!"

Literally every final fantasy game?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zedprime posted:

Like I get that it's a spoiler. But is it really a spoiler? I thought we all knew she was dead as a door nail as soon as they announced the game opens with you on a road trip to go marry her just because that's how plot works.

Hey

She could've been secretly evil too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You don't know what 'burly' means, do you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god Judge Burgan your helmet is loving hilarious. How are you trying to be ominous and gravelly, you look like someone dipped an elizabethan noblewoman in metal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wandering Eruyt Village. If only I could mod; I'd start on something to give the playboy bunny fetish women some better clothes so I could stop cringing every time I see them.

It's a pity, Fran is so badass if only she wasn't so ridiculously dressed to wank at.

It kinda reminds me of that character from Metal Gear V who has a disease that means she can't wear a shirt or she'll die.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 4, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lucis wasn't really a superpower, was it? Niflheim is dominant with Lucis the last holdout, except for that pesky magic forcefield that let Lucis hold out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Kuja has great presence as he mainly shows up when poo poo is seriously going down, he has absolutely fantastic music and I adore his dialogue. There is one of the greatest villain lines ever in an FF game coming up at a certain point in Disk 3 and it's from Kuja. It's just him calling the party idiots but the presentation and context is beautiful.

Which one are you thinking of?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, they did keep HD copies of the FF9 cutscenes around after all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew2eeo-vRfs

Man, that game's opening is still my favourite.

Also I feel like Garnet has way more personality in HD, look how much fun she's having, you could barely see that before.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 7, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pasaluki posted:

Your right. But correcting that mistake was the whole reason they had to make Final Fantasy X-2 where they made her dress up in something called Floral Fallal....

Oh it can't be that ba-

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but as someone who just started XV the way that Noctis and his buddies dress like final fantasy characters while all the NPCs dress in modern street clothes both freaks me out and cracks me the heck up, because it makes you and your friends look like the biggest douchebags in the world.

Apparently a lot of the designs in XV come from an earlier iteration of the setting where the grim reaper was going to be a main object of worship in Insomnia with black as a significant color, which is why everyone from there wears it and there's skulls all over their clothes. But they dropped that aspect and so Noctis and crew just look a bit tryhard emo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the truth posted:

I had no clue about that. Based on how the lore and world origin story actually goes, that would have been a very different game.

FF XV is cool, relatively short, and fun. Hope you all enjoy it.

Originally when it was Versus XIII, they would be worshipping Etro as Godess of Death. When it was changed to standalone, that aspect was reworked into a general Grim Reaper death figure. Then it turned out explicit death worship might've bumped the ratings in some western countries, so they toned it back, but a lot of the themes and designs remain, it's just more implied.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Harrow posted:

I suspect it was that one. A lot of the D&D folks were playing D&D-based PC games, and the attitude around the SNES was that it was a thing for kids, so naturally the games needed to be suitable for kids.

That said, it's only a suspicion. I really don't know. Clearly they changed their minds by the time FF6 rolled around, though they didn't make the leap to using the actual numbering system until FF7, which confused the hell out of me as a kid. (I loved FF3--where were 4 through 6? I want to play those, too!!!) I don't remember where I first learned that FF3 was FF6 and that the missing FFs were before that one, but it was before FF7 came out, at least.

Surely the decision on V would've been made based on the performance of IV's North American release - anyone know what its original NA sales were like?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the thing that hosed 13 was they started the cutscene creation with a draft script and the story clearly changed huge amount (Cid and his resistance friend are weirdly focused on in cutscenes but don't exist in the normal narrative) but the cutscenes were done so they had to kind of write around them cause those things cost a gorillan dollars.

Hasn't that ended up happening in like half of the final fantasies since they started doing CG cutscenes?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really don't understand the decisionmaking behind FFXII gate crystals instead of letting them unlock docking locations for Strahl, which would be much more in-universe.

I guess it's just annoying to write around all the things they put in to already write around having it just take you places.(Oh no! Jagd! Oh no! Damage!)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I swear to god I will be hearing the FFXII town music repeating in my head until I die.