Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Dubious posted:

While on FFX endgame chat, is it worth it to bribe Ultima Weapon? Doesn't really feel like it unless there's something I can abuse in Monster Arena?

Yeah because gil is basically free once you get the airship. That being said, master thief is only really useful against ultima weapon itself for those sweet sweet 20x doors to tomorrow and you aren't really missing anything if you kill him.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ugh. UGHHHHHH.

Although to be fair I can't even make an Overdrive>AP weapon yet.

Once you get the airship the first thing I do is savescum geosageneo to get no encounters, then run through omega ruins to steal overdrive-> AP items from Ultima Weapon. If you can't kill him just bribe him. Best things to put OD->AP on are capture weapons (slayer/victor) and then the Triple AP weapons from One Eye.

quote:

Also my very first battle with Yojimbo was against Dark Valefor and he instantly did Zanmato for 130k gil :v: I saved and tried again to see if I could get a better drop and in 5 tries he never did it again so I'll just go get Anima and not bother with this. I got a Break Damage Limit for Rikku which is about the least useful thing I could have got but oh well.

There is 1 good dark aeon drop (ribbon armor with 3 empty slots), and is only worth save scumming if you're masochistic. All the weapons are useless because the celestials are better and there are a ton of poo poo armors with garbage abilities like curseproof and fire eater.

quote:

Beat Chocobo racing with 0:0 in about 30 minutes but it's so frustrating, felt much longer. I eventually put it down for a couple of hours, turned it on, tried for the hell of it and got it on my first try. The overdrive bonus is useful at least, when I got the weapon I only had Slice & Dice and now I have Energy Rain and could get Blitz Ace pretty easily just spamming that.

Blitz Ace is really useful since overdrives never miss and dark aeons will dodge your quick hits even if you have max accuracy. It also hits through NeSlug's shell so you never have to grind for magic spheres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

That's because Accuracy as a stat sucks poo poo for actually hitting things. You want to boost Luck instead.

Ehhhh, you can just use aim/quick hit, blitz ace, and oblivion for the easy dark aeons and zanmato for the hard ones.

If you want to eschew zanmato then yeah you'll need to farm for luck & fortune instead of accuracy; unfortunately luck and fortune are a pain in the dick to farm, and getting the sphere grid trophy would require something like 20 fortune spheres x 7 characters which is...no thanks.

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 27, 2014

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

X2 platinum requires you to oversoul every monster in the game

I was on NG6 or NG7 on PS2 and didnt even come close :( :(

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Polsy posted:

Wasn't there a thing where all those quotes stop happening after a certain point in the game? Did they fix that? (assuming it was unintentional, I forget)

Once you go inside sin they stop talking for all battles in all locations.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Deathstrike Rikku is great too. She goes up to someone, does a little spin and says WHOOPS and they burst into a bunch of pyreflies.

Lulu doesn't say anything but having a tiny doll waddle up to a iron giant and then deathstrike will never not be funny

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

ShadeofDante posted:

Yeah I never realized that the Creature Creation thing in FFX-2 International wasn't just for an arena. It's literally the entire game.

You can fight every battle with just monsters.

Really enjoying this game, much more than the original release.

There is so much new content in this for players who only played the NA version. i'm trying to figure out the path of least resistance since i heard they nerfed catnip. so far I figured out how to get adamantite right when creature creator opens at the beginning of chapter 1, which is way cool IMO.

Dr Snofeld posted:

When going for the Dark Aeons etc in FFX, is it necessary to do stat maxing poo poo with all the characters or can I just pick three and leave the others?

If you're zanmatoing then you only need 2 buff dudes and yuna with 170 speed and you never really need to grind luck. Otherwise you need 3 max stat characters (meaning at least 130 luck); you shouldn't completely ignore the rest though and should give rikku and yuna 170 speed and auto haste for "oh poo poo" mixes or aeon meatshields.

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 3, 2014

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Endorph posted:

Just because you can understand the broad strokes doesn't mean the translation isn't bad. Inconsistent wording abounds, there's a lot of moments where it nearly descends into gibberish (mostly relating to the more fantasy aspects, like the lifestream), sometimes the dialogue is just awkward and forced and a lot of characters have no real 'voice.' It's not the worst translation ever or anything, the story can be understood and it has its moments, but it's still far below par.

haha i remembered ff7 for the gay rape, schizophrenia, and bestiality, i completely forgot about the living planet and alien (?) things.

e: FF7's story seems like the kind of thing I would like ironically if so many people didnt like it unironically.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Brasseye posted:

Darn it all to hell I missed the Alchemist sphere and now I have to start FFX-2 again.

I'd rather just play through and pick it up in NG+. There's so much to do in the fiend arena that ill probably keep playing after getting 100%

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Zero Star posted:

What's everyone's preferred Creature Creator lineup for X-2?

I've been using a Stalwart with Alchemist and the Unerring Path garment grid equipped. Alchemist grants an infinite supply of Mega-Potions for your fiends to use, and Unerring Path is a major stat boost.

You can capture monsters in Ch. 1 that will plow through the regular game

Chocobo - auto-haste, fast atk animation
Tonberry - great stats, all ailment defense
Goon - elixir, fast atk animation
Flak Python - full auto, all ailment defense
Any element - 1 MP cost, Ribbon

Any of those 3 will be enough to 100% the game if you raise them right. At endgame, every creature can have max stats and learn almost every ability so atk/movement animation speed and unique abilities like flak python's full auto or mushroom cloud's pernicious powder will be the differentiators

KDdidit posted:

Is there any preferred way to grind up to arena bosses in FFX? Just puts around the Omega Ruins? There's all sorts of end-game AP guides, but I'm not advanced enough to do them yet. Have 4 Celestial Weapons, will get Wakka's sooner or later as I have all the reels, but not sure Ill get Lulu's and Tidus'.

Step 1: savescum for a no encounters weapon from geosageneo
Step 2: get enough gil to bribe ultima weapon use this
Step 3: Run straight through omega ruins and steal doors to tomorrow from ultima, then bribe him (only because you're probably not strong enough to kill him)

Stealing from ulitma lets you customize overdrive -> AP which is basically all you need to complete the boy grids and get powerful enough to grind one-eye for triple AP weapons and start don tonberry levelling.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Should I try to 100% FFX-2 my first time through? Or should I just play normally?

I say do it. The annoying trophy is oversouling every enemy, getting 100% isn't hard at all if you're used to following guides. I guess if you like wandering around aimlessly and "exploring" or whatever then don't go for 100% otherwise you see more of the game and get rewarded with useful items if you go for it.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

What about FFX, is it worth it getting the celestial weapons/capturing mobs for the arena?

I'm torn between just finishing it or trying to finish as many sidequests as possible.

FFX is really grindy and the superbosses require max stats which is killing the same enemy 15x for like 6 different stats, I don't really recommend it. I'd try my hand at the celestial minigames so you can see what everyone else is complaining about though.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Is it worth doing the Creature Creator for FFX-2? I don't really want to bother with capturing and stuff, can I just skip it and do the regular storyline or will I be missing out?

Depends on whether you like your difficulty curves really easy (using YRP) or dumb baby on autopilot (using creatures)

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is not the FFX-2 I remember. Did they add dresspheres? I don't remember this Festivalist business at all...nor a Psychic dress sphere? The heck? I mean, don't get me wrong, both are awesome, but I wasn't expecting brand new jobs! What's even the deal with this psychic job, is it just another damage dealer?

There's a shitload of new content compared to the NA version.

For YRP, psychic is meh early game but endgame it's about as powerful as mascot since there's a "negate all damage" ability. for creatures, the psychic dressphere gives them the eject ability which will let you win tournaments (and get cool items) much earlier than you would otherwise be able to.

Festivalist is like a better version of black mage which is to say it's not very powerful

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

No offense is intended by this but like... Kingdom Hearts (which I also like) seriously, in the later games, comes down to mashing a few set broken abilities over and over again. It is even more simplistic than LR despite having more straightforward action and the story... well. I mean I like the game well enough but complex or difficult (aside from maybe the super-duper optional bosses, or at least the ones who don't get stuck against a rock or die to Reflect-spam) isn't a word I'd use to describe them. likewise Bravely Default literally lets you make yourself invincible in multiple ways. I had to specifically alter my setup around Chapter 5 because I'd figured out a way to literally autobattle through every fight.

eh....Kingdom Hearts 1's Sephiroth is the most difficult boss in any Square game I've ever played (i'd even say top 3 in any video game ive ever played).

It's possible the core mechanics of the fight aren't as demanding as other superbosses from other games but the learning curve in KH is completely non-existent and you sleepwalk through everything with attack/potion; then when you unlock sephiroth you have to actually learn how to dodge/block/quickheal, etc. which was too much to learn for one battle and I never got around to doing it.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

PS2 and on FFs only have longer completion times because better hardware means 5 minute unskippable music videos and A LOT more side content. The FMVs I could do without but there's nothing wrong with optional content and that's where I get all of my enjoyment from tbh because the "main" game of FFs are all easy baby games.

If you beeline for hotspots and skip cutscenes then X2 is as short or shorter than any previous gen FF. But going for 100% makes it a 55 hour affair. What you guys are complaining about is that the post-game stuff has gotten more voluminous which is true but not a bad thing at all.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Harlock posted:

Also, to everyone who got an FFX plat - how long did it take you to complete all the sphere grids? Do you need to fill all the empty nodes, or just activate all the nodes currently on the grid?

You need to fill in every empty node with something and then activate it. 68 hours using the in game clock but I used Zanmato. You can probably tack on another 5 hours grinding for luck spheres and then clearing them again if you don't use zanmato.

Galeboomer posted:

Man, the Thunder Plains are an absolute hell to a completionist like me. First Lulu's sigil, then tower 7 for Rikku in X-2. I just couldn't help but have all the best prizes, and goddamn is it frustrating. I had so many attempts die at 29 because of how quickly it goes. :(

I swear, if they do put out a X-3, the Thunder Plains better not have some other hellish minigame. :v:

I don't think tower 10 in X2 TPlains is even possible for non-autists, and the prizes are worthless since you can get all the prizes infinitely from the creature arena.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Fedule posted:

I'll run out of questions soon, I promise!

Is there anywhere that lists the stats you can get from the nodes already on the sphere grid? (IE, without using spheres that add nodes). I don't want to be suboptimal :ohdear:

Related: are there suggestions for how many of what nodes to add in the first place?

There's this on gamefaqs but it didn't quite match up to what I observed in my game. AGI was massively overstated and the other stats were off by a sphere or two. still generally useful as a guide though. I cleared all the luck spheres and the +1 spheres (except magic) and used the expert sphere grid. For some reason I tracked my progress so here you go.

code:
	Grid stat	grid stat less +1s		+4 spheres needed
mdef	114		107				35.75 (used 37)
str	160		149				25.25 
def	131		127				30.75 (used 33)
acc	66		62				47
agi	113		109				35.25 (there was a lot of overflow here)
eva	112		108				36 (used 38)
mag	144		144 (used +1s)			26.5 (used 29)
luck	N/A			
hp	16200			
mp	1030

This left me with ~40ish empty nodes which I filled mostly with MDEF leftover from grinding One Eye. to anyone going for the trophy I'd suggest skipping MAG since jumbo flan is a pain and there's no monsters that require a high magic stat.

Peel posted:

I beat them all (except Penance) without using Wakka. His overdrive is powerful but slow, so Quick Hit works out fine and I think has better DPS. It's also been a while, but I don't think Attack Reels alone is effective against the serious (i.e. non-Valefor) Dark Aeons. It doesn't do enough damage and overcommits you against incredibly fast enemies.

The only vital postgame overdrive is Mix.

I never bothered grinding for world champion or learning attack reels timing, but since overdrives hit 100% of the time and I wsa too lazy to grind for luck spheres, I got a lot of use out of blitz ace, oblivion, and zanmato. Demi Fury with break damage limit is also useful for capturing high HP monsters.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Toshimo posted:

TCELES B HSUP

Butch Sleeps
She Pest Club
Help But Secs

ImpAtom posted:

Optional superbosses are great when they are designed in such a way that you seriously have to consider how to take them on. They suck when they're just HP sacks with huge numbers who effectively are level-checks or who take entirely too long after you figure out their gimmick.

I agree, FF13 had the best optional superbosses.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Attitude Indicator posted:

I never got all the praise for the battle system in X-2, it is just a messier version of the standard ATB stuff. X had a vastly superiour battle system, shame they did not try to improve on it in later games.

If you want a followup to FFX's battle system then you'd do a lot better to pick up Persona 3 or Persona 4 instead of FFX2.

Vil posted:

The whole timing overlap of concurrent attacks thing also works better on Active rather than Wait. Whereas with standard ATB I generally recommend the other way around (since Active in standard ATB has no real benefit for you and just amounts to "let enemies benefit from any indecision on your part").

Wait is important for freezing super powerful enemies while your lady luck uses lucky 7s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Bregor posted:

Heeeey, easy dere brudder, YA?

I'm pretty much done with the main story but Tidus and Wakka still won't shut the gently caress up during battle. Using Tidus to Flee while capturing 10 of every monster is especially terrible and I've pretty much benched him for Kimahri.

You still gets lots of AP from overdrive-AP plus slayer or victor; fleeing isn't efficient if you can OHKO the monsters even if you've already caught 10. Also killing instead of fleeing helps build up your karma bar for don tonberry levelling