Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Like I had Feldman on my lap tonight, and I realized I was singing songs with his name in it. Like "Schools out for Summer" by Alice Cooper became "Schools out for Feldman."

I do this all the time with Ginny. If I have the radio on while I'm playing with her, her name gets dropped into just about every song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Skizzles posted:

Thanks for the fish oil input, guys.

Also, apparently Ginny has a twin for adoption in my area:

Oh my god I want that dog so bad. It's so scruffy! :3:

On the lab conversation, I had landlords a few years ago who had a very sweet, very dumb lab who would stand up and (very gently) put his enormous front paws on your shoulders. Not necessarily a good thing when coming home with an armload of groceries, or laundry, or... ever, really, but he was the sweetest, doofiest dog all the same. Then they got a puppy, who was an absolute hellion at first, but clearly the smarter of the two. I can remember sitting in the yard reading a book when she came over, nosed my flip-flop, then ran off and brought me another flip flop from upstairs. Their back yard was perpetually littered with socks, shoes and other things she'd carried off. They both learned to sit outside our apartment door and beg for treats, because I always kept a box of dog biscuits on hand.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Well, we survived the 4th of July, somehow. Honestly, Burt didn't mind the fireworks at all, and slept through most of it. Ginny, on the other hand, turns into a screaming ball of rage when the noise starts (and it started early in the morning yesterday and continued well into the night.) I'd rather if she just went and hid until it was over, but instead she runs around barking her head off, and then when she gets tired from that winds up sitting on the couch, head thrown back, screaming. For hours. We tried giving her a treat every time a firecracker went off, and that worked in the afternoon when they were intermittent, but by the time the sun went down it was coming from every direction and she'd already eaten about four dinners worth of kibble. We had the AC on, a movie on TV with the volume cranked up as high as it would go and all of the windows shut, but the evening still culminated with her expressing her anal glands all over the couch cover and then finally collapsing in exhaustion. Thanks, dog.

At least it started raining around midnight, so we were finally able to get some sleep!

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

So. Cattle Dogs. I don't know how anyone NOT on a farm can own one. Had one come into work today and holy poo poo, so much energy. He kept trying to get the other dogs to play, when all they wanted to do was lay around, try to keep cool in the heat and laze about in front of the many fans we have.

After he figured out no one wanted to play, he tried to get ME to play. Oh god how I wanted to play with him, but I had stuff to do! So I gave him a pat on the head and told him to be good while I did stuff, and he stayed in the main area with the other dogs. A couple minutes later, I feel a nose on the back of my knee. The dog had figured out how to work the latch on the gate. :staredog:

I can't imagine trying to keep a dog like that in the city AND keep it from going insane due to boredom.

He was a real cutie though. :3:

I can't speak for everyone's cattle dog, but mine is so unfailingly routine-based that her energy level is almost never a problem. She knows that my fiance wakes up for work at 6:30, and she's made it Her Job to make sure he does so, so she gets up at that time and pounces on him until he gets out of bed (even on weekends! :doh:) Then she settles right back down next to me and goes back to sleep, because she knows I don't get up until a half hour later.

She sleeps all day, to the point where if I have a day off and want to get her to do something with me she gets all groany and grumbly about it. But come 5 PM, there's no holding her back and she transforms from this lazy blob into a bundle of energy. When she's "on" though, it does seem like she could go forever and not stop to rest. It's definitely off-putting to friends and relatives who only see her when she has energy to burn-- a lot of people think she's like that all the time and don't really believe me when I tell them that 90% of the day she's just snoozing at my feet or on my lap.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

His name is Max :3:

Enjoy your monster! :3:

Do you have much experience with cattle dogs? You're in for quite the adventure.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm planning on lots of walks and I'm looking around for some agility or flyball to do with him to keep him busy, and he's got a Kong to play with during the day while I'm at work. He seems pretty chill and the shelter volunteers said he's unusually chill for a cattle dog. We'll see how that turns out. Right now he's passed out on my floor, poor guy had an eventful day.

Besides fun activities like agility or flyball is there anything else I can do with him to keep him entertained?

There are a few other cattle dog owners here in PI who I'm sure can chime in as well, but for me the key was just giving my dog an outlet for her energy, mental stimulation and a consistent routine. My fiance and I managed a high-energy cattle dog in a one-bedroom apartment for a year before moving into our own home. I found that once she learned what we expected of her, everything began to go smoothly.

Agility or flyball would be great! And definitely look into clicker training-- these dogs are so incredibly smart it's an absolute joy to teach them things.

They definitely have a mind of their own, and can be unbelievable assholes, but they are also wonderful, fierce little companions. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

If you have archives, there was a cattle dog thread a while back.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

wtftastic posted:

Baioley does this too. He'll sit next to me and stare. And stare. And then eventually if I look uninterested or am busy he barks and makes these weird noises.

Ginny, too. She'll sit directly in front of me and stare straight into my soul for a while before starting in with the godawful yowling sounds. If she's ignored beyond that she punches something.

Like this.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

jgrrr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ULq2MWvgs&hd=1

took our dog (Phoebe) to the beach. have posted her in the "what breed is that" thread where they said she was a Bully breed. I refused to believe it, but after reading more and getting to know her more it's a bit more obvious that she is.

request of a co-worker of mine was to make it as cheesy as possible, i don't think i did that well...

Oh wow, is that Gardiner Park? We've taken Ginny there a few times. She absolutely hates everything to do with water and getting wet, so I was shocked that she even put her paws in. I think she just wanted to eat the geese.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

I am so sorry to hear about Rory, mickeymickey. I've really enjoyed reading your posts about him. You gave him a great life, and lots of love. :sympathy:

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

wtftastic posted:

http://imgur.com/a/RHHhc

I hope those work! There's no good profile shot, but I think he's got a much more friendly face than a lot of cattledogs.

Oh god, Bailey is so cute. It's been a while since I've seen pictures of him. I love floppy ears on cattle dogs and cattle dog mixes. It softens up their face so much.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

(also Pistol is staying. I have decided. I can't give up on his freckly butt. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions over the past 48 hours or so. Max will learn to share.)

Please post more pictures of his freckly butt. And his freckly face, too. We just got power back on after 11 days of flood, cold and darkness following Hurricane Sandy and some adorable landsharks would cheer me right up.

(I'm glad to hear he'll be staying. We went through a rollercoaster of emotions too after adopting our beagle and discovering that he really didn't get along with Ginny too well. We've managed to make it work because we love them both so drat much, but they'll never be the best of friends.)

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Those sure are some fine looking Shepherds. Perfect breed specimens.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Off leash dogs are a big pet peeve of mine, probably entirely because I live in a fairly congested area. This isn't Rover roaming over acres of wilderness or farmland, it's lazy people letting their labs out the front door into traffic and not bothering to check and see who they might be bothering.

Ginny's been attacked three times while we've been walking her through the neighborhood. It doesn't help that she's a huge drama queen who tangles up in my legs and starts screaming bloody murder because The Big Dog Looked At Me. But it's still downright frightening to be walking down a street in my neighborhood, only to turn around and see a large dog stalking silently behind. And the owners of these dogs inevitably say "but he's so friendly!"

We've even encountered a man who lets his lab sleep in the road in front of his home. Why? Because she likes sleeping there. He laughingly told us that he's had more than one person ring his doorbell to sadly tell him that his dog must have been hit by a car because she's crumpled up on the curb. But no, she wasn't hit, that's just where she sleeps.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

So sorry to hear about Husker. I've always enjoyed reading about him. :sympathy:

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Here's another Pistol picture for good measure

We call him Pittle or Pittledog more often than not. He's just one of those dogs you feel compelled to talk in a stupid voice to.

I think our dogs were separated at birth.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

four lean hounds posted:

So which one of you got the evil twin?

Almost certainly me. Pistol seems like a very nice dog. Ginny is evil incarnate.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Blizzard photodump!

Ginny LOVES the snow. She went bounding around like a jackrabbit through all the drifts in our backyard.

Sadly, Burt was less than enthusiastic about the whole affair.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Phishi posted:

It still amazes me how far Ginny has come since you adopted that tub o' lard. She's positively beautiful now... When she's not being a landshark!

Fraction posted:

I was just thinking that :3: Ginny is a really pretty dog!

I try not to let it go to her head. :3:

After all, she used to look like this.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

I love this shot. The look on Cohen's face is hilarious.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Ginny REALLY wants belly rubs, guys.

http://youtu.be/e5dxDQOrEvg

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

In other news, I got baby pictures of Pistol from his old family today

That right there might be the cutest thing I've ever seen. :3:

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I swear Bailey and Max are the same dog. At the dog park he'll run around for a little bit but hangs out with me for the most part (he'll even climb up onto the bench and sit next to me if I sit down) but if there's a GSD there he'll go be BFFs with it for the whole time.

Ginny has zero canine social skills and is terrified of all dogs her size and larger except for GSDs. For some reason she loves them and likes to lick their faces and hang on their neck fur.

If a big dog that's not a GSD comes near her, she runs behind my legs and cowers there making pitiful squealing sounds. She's fine with little dogs, though.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

a life less posted:

So, I just moved into my new home. It's awesome. Cohen saw to it that my morning was less than awesome.

Yesterday afternoon she ate a bag of flour. An entire bag.

I have to ask... do any pictures exist of Cohen covered in flour? :3:

Sorry to hear your move has been so stressful! When we moved into our house we discovered that Ginny was terrified of stairs (she'd never had to go up or down any at our apartment, so we'd had no idea.) She also more than once traipsed through paint trays and left trails of yellow paw prints on the floor.

Hoping for the best for Artie and Sukka, too.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Spamming the hell outta this thread with pictures of dawgs having fun.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Papercut posted:

Haha what is this creature and why isn't he constantly spammed all over PI?

He's not mine, he just visits sometimes. :3:

We think he's jack/chi, and he's kind of the antithesis of a yappy rat since he pretty much never barks. Though I'm pretty sure I would have given in and spammed the yappy rat thread eventually if it had remained open.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

edit: whoops, wrong thread!

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

Aw crap, I hope Faye is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

moechae posted:

Hey, just wanted to wrap everything up and say Faye's all better! It was a super weird/rare bacterial infection. We got blood test results back today and she's completely normalized except her bilirubin is a little high still. We're keeping her on the hepatic diet and steroids/antibiotics for a while longer. As I was leaving the vet last night, she pulled me aside and told me she honestly didn't think Faye would make it with the numbers she had so...dang. Lucky dog.

So happy to hear she's going to be ok!

• Locked thread