Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Fact: It gets so disgustingly hot here in Texas that cats sometimes start to melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

All Sheila does is eat dirt and crumbs off the floor.

Two of 3 now-deceased cats, however....

Clawdia, our Siamese liked butter. Straight-up butter. It HAD to go into the cabinet, or you'd come back and find big tongue marks on it.

And then there was Tama. Tama was a fruit freak. Leave an apple or pear out? You'll come back to find bits missing. Sitting there, actually eating an apple or pear? Tama would come up and start eating off the other side.

She'd also get on the table and steal milk from cereal bowls. And she loved ice cream - you'd be sitting there on the couch, and she'd sit down and look at you expectantly. Vanilla and peppermint ice cream were her favorites. I gave her coconut ice cream once, and she gagged at me.

She once went ballistic and attacked my mom because she wouldn't give her the pork rinds.

I miss that cat.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I enjoy having a headrest for my chair - I just wish it didn't always bite me in the back of the head.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

This is the story of how Drum got covered in road dirt and grease last night:

I spent well over an hour, with the aid of 5 different people at various points throughout, trying to get a kitten from the undercarriages of various cars downtown.

I was walking along, when I suddenly heard a kitten squalling. Really shrieking its fuzzy little head off. I get on my hands and knees, and I notice it's coming from under a car. Dialed animal control - they don't "do this sort of thing". (Great job, guys.) I can't coax the little booger out or reach it, so I ran down to one of the corner markets to grab a cat of cat food.

This doesn't work, but I manage to get the kitten out from under the car...Where it promptly skitters across the road, into the undercarriage of another car. A couple stops to try to help me retrieve the kitten, aaaand....It goes back across the street under the same car. They leave me to my attempts, and I go back across the street.

Another couple shows up, followed by a cab driver. Cab driver jacks up the back end of the car slightly, so the other guy can scoot under and try to grab the little brat while his girlfriend and I shine flashlights so he can see what's he's doing.

Kitten dislodged....back across the street. It was at this point that we gave up, because it wasn't about to be caught. I left the food for it, in case it was hungry. I have no idea what I would have done with it, anyway. I could have brought it home and locked it in my bathroom where Sheila couldn't get in, but there's fleas and the possibility of disease, and the fact that it was almost 1 A.M.

Cats.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

So, as if Sheila's not already paranoid enough from a combination of SCARY SOUNDS (New flooring going in, oxygen machines/medical equipment, band practices, pinball machines,loud movies), today my sister got a cat-sized ZOIDS robot model-thing, and when she assembles it, will be sending it after Sheila.

And I'll be filming it and laughing because I am a terrible, awful person.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

McDragon posted:

Here's an Okapi. They're wondeful.

Okapi. :3:

I went to San Antonio last month, and did the whole zoo thing. The okapi kept sticking his nose through the fence at me, and is now my favorite land-dwelling ungulate.

While I'm at it, have a Grumpy Rattlesnake Pile.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

"Ugh. God. What?"

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

My friend and co-worker is throwing a birthday party for her 3-year-old Dachshund, and invited all our co-workers with dogs. I will be the only dogless one there, but I've agreed to do photography and make a meat-cake for the dogs.

I'm thinking this may be an early sign of madness.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Unfortunately, DOGPARTY is off until next week due to scheduling conflicts. Disappointing, but it gives me more time to figure out the best way to do the meat-cake.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

WolfensteinBag posted:

Anyone looking to breed top top longhaire super Quality GSDs? This fine specimen is for sale!
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/classifieds.viewad?adid=161813

How do these dogs even breed naturally? The average American show GSD's legs look like they're going to give out under it own weight. Add another dog, and you've suddenly got a big ol' puddle of hip dysplasia flopping on the ground.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Well, the GWS cookin' for dogs thread seems to be archived. This is the next best place to post some crazy.

DOGPARTY is tomorrow (So says my coworker), and today was reserved for MEATCAKE.

I'm fairly certain my involvement with this makes me The Worst Vegetarian, but I'm not eating it so whatevs.

COOK. START!
INGREDIENTS: CAKE
3/4 cup water
1 peeled, diced carrot (I used 1 and a half because my carrots are dinky.)
1 diced rib celery
1 3/4 pound ground meat. (Mine is 1 lb. ground lean pork, 3/4 lb. ground sirloin.)
1 cup oats
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tbsp ketchup

INGREDIENTS: TOPPING
Your choice. I used Milk-Bones and spray cheese. (I originally considered liverwurst frosting, but reconsidered its spreading capabilities. Peanut butter was out from the start due to my coworker's horrifying nut allergy.)

STUUUUFFFFFF. Now go set your oven to 350 before you forget.

This post sponsored by HEB. God knows I spend enough money there.

Now that you've got all your Foodstuff, grab a DVD and pop it in. I chose the greatest movie ever.

Take the 3/4 cup of water and pour it into your pan. Let boil.

While that goes, peel your carrot(s)...

And dice them and the celery.

Better beat that egg while you wait.

VEGGIES INTO THE PAN. Lower to medium, cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.

Drain and let cool slightly.

While veggies are cooling, plop the meat into an ugly bowl.

ONWARD CAME THE OATS. 1 cup of 'em.

Plop in sufficiently cooled veg.

A tablespoon of ketchup...

And the beaten egg.

And then....By our powers combined....
WE ARE CAPTAIN MEATCAKE.

Wrangle it into a foil-lined circular tin.

INTO THE OVEN. 350 degrees, remember? Leave it there for about an hour.

Remove and let cool for 10 minutes.

Wrangle it onto a cake plate and let it continue to cool.

Toppings!

In my defense, it's hard to write with cheese. Also, the pattern is consistent all the way around because I wasn't gonna screw this up, dammit.

Meatcake now sits in my fridge waiting for DOGPARTY.....

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

My coworker moved the party to Sunday, which of course is the day I'm going back out to Big Bend, so I'm just gonna leave the meatcake with her at work tonight.

I consoled myself by irritating Sheila.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Abbeh posted:

Where does one get a whale like that?
I got it off eBay. The seller has a website, and this is the whale I got.

22 inches, perfect for draping over snotty cats.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

[quote="Kerfuffle" post=""""]
LoL I believe it was Jennifer's Precious Hearts or something? I think semi recently it was discovered that it was back up, but I just looked, so unless I have the name wrong I didn't see it.
[/quote]

It was "Jennifer's Tiny Hearts."

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Someone in my friend's neighborhood has a flock of peacocks. They enjoy not holding still for photos, surrounding your car and marching down the street.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Holy Jesus, I just saw this on another forum. Dwarfism in dogs can cause some really, really hosed-up poo poo.

:nms: http://oi48.tinypic.com/idxixf.jpg :nms:

Linking because goddamn.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

There's no way that's real.

Unfortunately, it is: http://progettoquasi.it/quasi.html

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Just a few minutes ago, I was getting ready to leave the post office and go to the bank, when my phone rings. It's my mom, and she sounds freaked out: "Katy, I just heard this big crash upstairs. I think something fell through the roof." I tell her I'm on my way back home.

Get there, looking at the roof as I drive up, and see no damage.

She tells me to be careful when I go upstairs in case something came through (She's disabled and uses a walker for short distances and a wheelchair the rest of the time, so she can't do stairs), and I look over at the game room. The empty book shelf we moved in there the other week is face down on the floor. I look over at my bedroom door, and there's Sheila, staring at me with this completely bewildered expression.

The little fucker was playing "Queen of the Mountain" by herself, and launched off the top of the bookshelf, knocking it over and scaring both herself and my mom.

I yelled at her, and now she's on top of the kitchen cabinets, sulking.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Hi.

OMF NOM NOMF

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Sadie has something missing in her "hiding" brain bits. There is just no other explanation for how bad she is at it. If there is anything, no matter how thin or small, interrupting her vision to you she thinks she is hidden and is really shocked or will zoom away if you walk over to where she is. She does the same thing with birds too.

I mean, seriously cat... this is not stealthy.

This is exactly what Sheila does, except that she sits under my mom's wheelchair, then starts yapping when anyone looks at her. Sorry Sheila, but you are not stealth incarnate as you so believe.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I'm not sure what this is....

...But it's mine now.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Levitate posted:

Looks like a Main Coon

Nope, just a mutty fluff-cat. She's mostly fur and mouth.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Today's my mom's birthday, so we put up decorations and tied a large balloon to her walker.

Sheila is terrified of the balloon, so she's spent the entire day alternating between staring at it in horror and running away, and sitting behind my chair, sulking.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

So, my mom went to untie the balloon and move it somewhere less terrifying for the cat, and...

I feel like I should wake Sheila up and unleash this free-floating horror on her.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

huskyjackal posted:

Oh I am so so so late for this but I...I couldn't stop myself. :C

And the obvious evolution from there:

In the future, Bulldogs will have no need for walking. They will roll everywhere.

I'll be taking a big box of towels/sheets/blankets out to the Austin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary on Saturday. Any photo requests?

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Enelrahc posted:

I don't know that anyone cares that much about horse talk in this dog chat, but multiple G1 winner and 2009 HOTY Rachel Alexandra had an adorable filly with a heart for a star on the 13th :3:

However, she has had a very bad complication and I think her outlook is likely in the guarded to poor state. This makes me sad :( The small colon is a really bad place to have an intestinal resection for a horse (for any animal really) and they seem to be treating her for peritonitis and endotoxemia, which is no bueno. So cross your fingers for this nice horse who deserves to have a much longer retirement than two years. She's getting the best care at one of the best vet clinics in the world though, so here's hoping she pulls through. Horse intestines are the worst designed thing ever.

Awww. :( I love Rachel Alexandra, and hope she somehow pulls through this. At least she's getting the best possible care at a great facility.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I went to theAustin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary today and took lots of photos, which are contained with photos from last year.

This is my favorite photo I took today:

Lions are weird. :3:

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

"I cannot allow you to continue cataloging your comic books. Biscuits must be made."

e: "Fine, you may continue, but I'm going to play in the lid to your longbox and slide it across the floor when you least expect it to startle you."

Flaccid Trip fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 21, 2013

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Soo movin this from the catlady confession thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post412955630

Her and Moses are in love with each other and its the weirdest thing that has ever happened. It isn't because she's a girl either, he normally tried to murder girl dogs just as much as boy dogs. I wasn't expecting that and have pretty much just been going :stare: at my dog for half the day.

She initially wanted to kill Frankie and turned into an absolutely hilarious tornado of slobber and screaming and rage at the sight of him, but I fixed it with treats and now she is just looking at him like a turd to be delicately stepped around.

I still don't get what her and Moses have going on though and it's kind of freaking me out.

Oh, she's so pretty, even though the crop makes her look like a gargoyle. :3: A pretty princess gargoyle.

Moses found his ~*soulmate*~.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Someone brought a horse to the dog park, this afternoon. Devo wasn't really pleased to have to stand in the mud and Stay while I got her in the shot.

Someone brought a miniature horse to the free, dog-friendly section of Barton Springs. I was getting in the water when I looked downstream, and actually had to ask the question of "Is that a pony?" Austin, man.

Pew! Pew! posted:

What about anime names for shibas? I assume there's lots of those too. Bear seems like it'd be more common for Akita, though.

e: Also the name Bella. For everything ever.

I maintain that "Gin" is the best name for an Akita, and don't care who knows that at one point in my life, I was an obscure anime fan.

One of my work managers has a Bull Terrier named Bella, and the dog that used to live across the street was named Bella. The best dogs in my neighborhood are Romeo, a big, super-friendly Collie-mutt that likes to follow me when I'm out walking, and Scooter, an elderly Jack Russell mix that I maintain is actually a table crossed with Shredded Wheat.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I just got home, but already Sheila is yelling and :catstare:-ing me because my dad's band is over to practice, (And by practice, I mean play "Should I Stay or Should I Go" until I get fed up and leave) and this is obviously ALL MY FAULT HOW DID I LET THIS HAPPEN.

Superconsndar posted:

Rescue ladies were upset that I was not going with their suggestion to call Griff "Cinnamon." Because you see her color is like cinnamon. :|

She's honestly more pumpernickel-coloured, but since "Pumpernickel" pretty much translates to "Fart Goblin", it's a name more suited for say...a Boston. :v: Someone get that red and white Boston that was posted, adopt it and name it Pumpernickel.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I feel like I should blingee that too but I'm too busy laugh-crying. Oh, Super. I'm sorry. But it's beautifully awful.

E: The only way it could be better is if it said "She's found her FUREVER home".

As soon as I started Blingee-ing this, my computer slowed down in protest.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Does he crop-dust the room? Every Boxer I've ever met has just loved to rip off a series of little toots as they walk through a room. Then when you tried to escape to another room they would trot after you with a put-put-put-put!

All this brings to mind is that one James Herriot story about Cedric - a Boxer with chronic flatulence. So it would seem Boxers have long been bred for crop-dusting.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

On the subject of crop-dusting Boxers...

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Today I rescued an anole from drowning.

For the longest time, we've had a little anole (presumably male given his neck-puffing and boldness at taunting Sheila), who lives in the air conditioning unit. He's a chill little guy, who'll let you get pretty close.

We also had these stupid buckets my dad had stacked next to the air conditioner for some unexplained reason, which had over time, filled up with leaves and water. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

My mom was looking for the little squirrel that had been taunting Sheila all day, when she looked down into the top bucket, and told me, "Katy, there's a dead lizard in the bucket." I look, groan, and head outside. It was only in the low 60s today, lizards shouldn't have been out. I get there, and he's facing the other way, still splayed out so I carefully pick the bucket up, and drain it, depositing him as gently as possible, before draining the rest of the buckets and setting them upside down so nothing else can get caught in them.

The lizard's still there, so I kneel down, and stroke his back. I have no idea how long he was in the water, but he started blinking and moving his head before he snapped out of it and took off.

Last I saw him, he was chilling on the air conditioner pipes. He's lived to harass Sheila another day.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Sheila's got a turd stuck to her rear end-hair and won't let anyone hold her down so it can be cut out. :suicide:

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I got the feeling I was being watched.

Yeesh.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Sheila's new name would be rear end in a top hat Collie-Cat, because she obsessively herds me up and down the stairs.

Tama would have been Bitchy McShitsalot, Mini Me would have been Fatty Ding-Dongs, and Clawdia would have been YELLFACE VON DEMENTIA.

On another note, my grandma's thinking of getting a kitten. She hasn't had a cat in years because of allergies in relatives, but she's been seriously thinking about getting a Siamese or Siamese mix. Her previous cat Sage was a Meeze, and Clawdia was always her favorite cat. So there might be a tiny, bat-eared shriek-beast when I visit at the end of May.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Sheila can't have her super fun feathery cat wand, because she entered into some weird feather-sucking phase, and we're afraid she'll start eating them.

On the note of feathers, she's also absolutely terrified of mourning doves and the little anoles that like to jump at the window and startle her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

"I see that you're watching the Red Wings game. Let me sit with you and stare creepily."

• Locked thread