Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Grand Fromage posted:

For a naval game, you'd clear out the whole understructure, open up the valve and flood. The sources claim it was incredibly quick, as if the water just appeared and disappeared. Judging by the size of all the pipes and holes this is not unbelievable. Afterward, open the gates to the sewers and let the water recede.

This is rather fascinating! I just finished re-reading "Lives of the Caesars" and "Claudius the God" and was always slightly skeptical about the reported size of the naval games. Well, the more you know!

A small question on names: would the Romans have known the adult Caligula as Caligula, or as Gaius? Or would it have depended on context? My translation of "Lives" refers to him as Gaius, but dunno if that's the translators call (Robert Graves) or Suetonius'...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

So I'm currently reading "Count Belisarius" by Robert Graves. I think it would make an amazing miniseries, just like "I, Claudius", and I hope I get to see this happen in my life. I've previously read "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" and own copies of both those books. Has anyone who reads this thread or post in it read "Count Belisarius"? If so, what is your opinion of that book? So far it seems extremely dry but enjoyable and very much in the style of the other two.

Its been probably ten years since I read it, but the mention of Justinian's name still rubs me the wrong way! Wikipedia suggests the history is off (especially bits towards the end of his life) but still a good read. I thought it was a good teaser for a period of history many people aren't really aware of.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Negligent posted:

Did the Romans have any kind of town planning/zoning restrictions, or could Joe Plebeian build his fish sauce factory pretty much anywhere?

I visited the Roman ruins beneath Barcelona a couple of years ago. From memory, part of the layout had a garum warehouse smack up against a laundry and some baths, which would have made for an interesting olfactory experience, especially considering the favorite Roman clothes washing fluid...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

A bit late to the cultural change chat, but I watched a documentary recently called "Did Cooking Make Us Human?", which I think was from the BBC.

Basically, cooking food makes it easier to be digested, which means an organism gets more nourishment than from the equivalent raw food. We spend less time eating and looking for things to eat and more time to do all that cultural stuff like interacting socially, writing poetry, etc. Apparently, we'd need to eat the equivalent of 5kgs of vegetables daily (I can't remember the exact weight, but it was ALOT) to obtain the required energy.

That being said, they reckon cooking may have been discovered 2 millions years ago, so probably a bit beyond the time frame being discussed.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Population density was very, very low during the Paleolithic, and people had a lot of leisure time to gently caress around. That goes a lot further toward explaining cultural development than the benefits of raw vs. cooked meat. That, and rapidly improving nutrition in infancy, which is crucial to brain development.

My paraphrase probably doesn't catch the nuances of the documentary's argument. The point was that rather than spending all our free time scrounging for nuts and fruit (like the other apes) or lying about to conserve energy (like lions), cooking food (not necessarily just meat) meant our bodies were able to process the good stuff more efficiently, meaning we spent less time worrying about feeding ourselves and giving us the leisure time to gently caress around in. Not the be-all and end-all of human development, granted, but a handy leg-up over the other organisms.

Ultimately, I'm not a archeao-nutritionist or evolutionary biologist - just thought it was an interesting idea.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

veekie posted:

If you're a powerful god clearly you'd be a bigger rear end in a top hat than weaker gods. What's the point of power if you can't bully everyone with it.

I wonder how many gods people have had that they'd prefer not to have to worship. I remember reading something about the Norse not really being keen on praying to Odin (because he was viewed as untrustworthy and that the whole magic/runes thing being regarded as a bit feminine) whereas Thor was much more popular. I mean, you still sacrificed your slaves and whatnot, because you didn't want to piss him off.

Similarly, I can't imagine an ancient Greek praying to Ares for success in war - unless they were judging success by the amount of mindless slaughter.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

How cynical were the proscriptions of Sulla and of the Second Triumvirate? Wikipedia sez that both were undertaken to get rid of enemies and replenish the treasury. I recall (possibly incorrectly) Suetonius mentioning Octavian adding people just for the second reason.

How "enemy of the state" would you have had to been to be proscribed? Are we talking "DEATH TO SULLA!" or "Eh, Sulla's okay but he's no Marius", or would that depend on your bank balance?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Sulla had a personal secretary who basically turned it into a giant moneymaking scheme (even moreso than it had already been), and people both took advantage of it for financial reasons as well as to settle personal feuds. People were added to the list because they were rich or because they had a great estate that somebody wanted to buy at auction for rock-bottom prices or because their granddad pissed of somebody else's granddad etc. When Sulla found out he was not pleased, to put it lightly, but the whole thing was designed initially to remove political impediments to Sulla's reforms/political way of thinking. So guys who had even potential power and influence that could be used to rally support around an anti-Sulla group might have been added even if they showed zero desire to actually rock the boat, and RICH guys in that boat were even likelier to be targeted.

The Second triumvirate was a way to make money, settle political scores AND draw the three closer together by proving their loyalty by throwing some of their own favorites under the bus (Antony insisted on Cicero being added to the list and Augustus was forced to accept).

While I can understand Sulla's view, I'm having trouble picturing the Senate - a bunch of politically interested and rich guys - wanting to draw up a list of politically interested and rich guys to be murdered for their estates. Would proscription have come as a particular surprise to those proscribed? I'm imagining the scene in the Senate:

:agesilaus: : You there, take a list of proscribed persons!
:) : Yes, dictator!
:agesilaus: : First name - Gnaeus Blogius.
:( : Uh, that's me....
:agesilaus: : *coughs awkwardly*

Would there have been any official justification provided for proscription? Perhaps the Roman Bugle said Gnaeus had been charged with sedition and anti-Sulla writings even though everyone knew it was because he had the finest vineyards this side of the Rhone.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Well, the whole proscription makes much more sense, especially the idea of transfer of wealth to the winners - thanks for the responses.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

https://youtu.be/RUcDdUG22JU

This is worth watching if you're interested in the proscriptions. It also has a young, hugely :agesilaus: Cicero in it, which makes it even better. I believe it's based on one of his actual cases.

I'll have a look, thanks.

The opening narration did remind me of this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLctf4o6feQ&t=25s

By odd coincidence, the final fight scene from "Fall of the Roman Empire" happened to be on the TV right after I first watched Gladiator on VHS/DVD.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I was just reading the Wikipedia article of slavery in Rome - at what social level would it be likely someone owns a slave? Would owning a slave impress the other plebs?

Are we aware of any preferences for slaves? I mean, would German slaves have a reputation for hardiness, or would someone have a preference for North Africans the way someone today has a preference for a particular car brand? Or again, is it the whole race-blindness-y thing where they'd just want a young, healthy dude to help bring the crops in, regardless where he'd be from.

(This question may have slightly inspired by the foreign menhir market in Obelix and Co.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Slaveowners were mandated to provide certain living conditions for their slaves. You would need to be rich to feed and house a living breathing person that you owned. That wealth was probably impressive enough on its own. Being a pleb didn't preclude you or your family from being rich though, it just meant you weren't a member of the established patrician lineages.

Any preference for slaves from a specific region would be some kind of personal thing for the individual slaveowner. In general, most educated slaves were Greeks, and "barbarian" slaves were big brawny dudes, but that's essentially the same stereotypes for a free man from the same region. I don't know of any writings that talk about slave purchases.

Sorry, just meant "pleb" as common person, not specifically as in Roman terms! Do we know of any writings that outline the expenses for a slave?

Grand Fromage posted:

The social class thing depends on the time period. At one point slaves were so cheap that slaves owning their own slaves was a thing.

I can't recall if this has been brought up previously, but do we have an idea of the price of slaves over the centuries? I presume slaves being cheap would coincide with Roman conquests of new territory - Gauls were probably a dime-a-dozen after the Gallic wars.

Tao Jones posted:

Sort of. Roman slaves had their natio (origin; whether it connoted race, tribe, region, whatever) displayed on a sign at the market, and there were definitely connotations between certain natios and certain types of activity. Cicero makes a remark to his friend Atticus in a letter that the new slaves from Caesar's invasion of Britain are completely untalented in the ways of literature or music (presumably there were bagpipes, even then). The poet Martial has a passage where he is evoking the ideal dreamy -- male, naturally -- sex-slave and picks an Egyptian.

There were also suggestions that owning too many slaves from the same natio was bad because they'd know all of the old rivalries and one day Quintus would shank Sextus because eight years ago Sextus called his sister a pigfucker, that kind of thing. But I think the ideal is that whatever your natio was before you were sold into slavery was only important to the buyer -- you'd be kind of subsumed into the culture of where-ever you ended up. Which is different quite a bit from how American slavery worked out.

Wikipedia has a theory that the Romans introduced bagpipes to Britain, and that Nero possibly played them. If so, surprised he lasted as long as he did.

e:beaten like a bagpipe playing Roman...

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 7, 2015

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The Bactrian camel is a disgrace to life on Earth, and its continued existence as a species is as inexplicable as it is shameful.

Should I ask?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I want to believe he was a pug

Not sure if gigantic man with a pug's head would be scary or not.

Probably a bit off-putting either way.

St Chris: C'mon, I'll carry you across the river.
Peasant (trying not to STARE at pug head): Maybe I don't need to cross the river THAT badly....

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I was "impressing" my wife this morning with my yo-yo "skills" acquired during the two brief yo-yo crazes in the late 80's and early 90's in Australia and it made me wonder - do we have any record of fads from the ancient world?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

That both helps and hurts. Cutting stone is hard work, so it's a whole lot easier to reuse stone that somebody else cut centuries earlier. You could have a piece of stone cut 5,000 years ago that's been a part of six or more great buildings since then. The past gets recycled into the present.

The limestone cladding of the Great Pyramids in Egypt was scavenged to make much of downtown Cairo, for example. There are also a bunch of mosques and temples from the first millennium with mismatched or even inverted columns because the builders reused a bunch of stuff left over from the Greeks and Romans.

I drove the length of Hadrian's wall about 17 odd years ago with my gf at the time. There's not much of it left but standing on any given spot along it, you'd see heaps of stone houses, stone fences, etc.

Its all there, just not in wall form.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Why are the Counts "von und zu Hohengeroldseck" rather than just "von"? Is the answer "because middle ages Germanic pedantry and legal hairsplitting"?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

ok but like

this place had castles that were owned by multiple micro-polities at once

I'm beginning to think that being HREmperor is like a curse for angering a wise woman or a wish on a monkey hand.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Waroduce posted:

I'll be in Vienna for 3 days and have added the Austrian National Library to my very short list of things to do. So far the lists consists of:

1. Schoenbrun Palace
2. Austrian National Library (globe/papyrus)
3. Mozarts Place
4. Walk around and drink

I've added the Austrian National Library because way downstream in the thread some one mentioned it had the Tabula Peutingeriana. I'm also interested in seeing their globe collection.

Any other cool things to see or recommend? will post pictures.

I'll also be in Barcelona for 3 days but not sure if theres things of a similar vein but not sure if that ask is a match for this thread

The City History Museum in the Places del Rei in Barcelona has a whole bunch of subterranean Roman ruins which are pretty cool and is thread relevant.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

You could possibly introduce photography - more specifically the daguerrotype.

The actual camera is fairly straight forward - a pinhole camera is pretty easy to make.

Then you'd need a polished silver plate, mercury, salt and halogen fumes.

The first three are easy enough, but the the fumes are a bit trickier - iodine might be the easiest as it comes from the waste from making saltpetre, but I have no idea how easy producing sulphuric acid would be during Roman times.

The final image would be delicate without a gold chloride treatment, but it would be a start.

I think cyanotypes might be feasible, but again, it depends on producing (I think) nitric acid. I have no chemistry training, so no idea how hard that would be.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Producing nitrogen dioxide seems fiddly, but sulfur dioxide comes from burning sulfur or from volcanic eruptions, so if you time it right...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

Ratgeb later took part in the Peasant's War and was executed for that by :nms:being torn apart by four horses. :black101:

I guess any state would want to discourage treason, but that kind of brutality (and I mean specifically for treason) seems a rather European thing. Am I just imagining that?

Tree Bucket posted:

I sort of wondered how that works, and then I decided that I really really don't want to know.

Not very well, if you're Robert-Francois Damiens and you've just tried to kill Louis XV.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Grevling posted:

Go back in time to visit Galen in the middle of the night, pretend you're Asclepius explaining germ theory to him in a dream.

*bedsheet toga, grotty santa beard and two rubber snakes stapled to a tennis racquet

VV edit: and shoddily assembled Saturday Night special

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 29, 2019

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Somewhen in 158 AD:
"Galen, awake, I have something to teach you: germ theory..."
*sleepy Galen looks at tennis racket
"Oh piss off, Hermes"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I was going to say that we have his canopic jars, but Wikipedia suggests they weren't necessarily used to actually store the organs.

Also, it seems he had malaria, which is the oldest generic evidence of the disease, which is pretty cool.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Huh, just realised that the three sons in Kurosawa's Ran are Taro, Jiro and Saburo. Duh.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Talking about early Christianity, I vaguely remember reading something about the early church being early adopters of the codex format (ie what we'd call a book) as a bunch of scrolls wouldn't be super practical for cladestine meetings. Would anyone know anything about this?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I've never heard of this specifically. The codex replaced the scroll very rapidly once it was refined late in the Roman period, as it made storage and reading of long texts and the copying of text into a new book infinitely more practical.

Reading the wiki article is making me wonder why it wasn't developed earlier. Reading a scroll lengthways seems annoying and reading one written sideways seems only a little less so.

It makes me wonder if there are lost words in ancient languages meaning "rear end in a top hat who always leaves the scroll rolled up the wrong way".

Grevling posted:

In a philology course I took I actually was taught that the Christians were early adopters of the codex format. From what I can remember there is no consensus on why though.

Interestingly, converting to codex meant you had to worry about the order of the biblical books.

From memory, Jack Miles' "God: a biography" deals with that a bit in its introduction.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Epicurius posted:

How do you say, "Be kind, rewind.", in Latin?

Not sure but...

Tu imitari noluisti ascensorem.

(That's probably horribly incorrect, but I'll live with the stupid joke.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Wasn't the big issue that, until Kepler, the Copernican model wasn't accurate enough to be used for predicting things?

Like people knew the Ptolemaic model wasn't necessarily an accurate physical model, but despite being janky, it could actually be used to calculate the stuff astronomers needed to calculate?

I think I'm remembering Simon Singh's Big Bang, but a) I'm no astrophysicist and b)have no idea of the accuracy of Singh's narrative.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

The initial value of the Copernican model wasn't accuracy, but simplicity. The Ptolemaic model had hundreds of epicycles by that point and was a mess to try to calculate anything based on it. Putting the Sun at the center gave them the same numbers (specifically, the correct date for Easter) with far less hassle.

It did take Kepler's elliptical orbits to make heliocentrism actually superior.

Thanks. I hadn't realised it made Easter easier to calculate!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

What's the building with the three giant arches at the back? I've got photos of it from when I was in Rome 20 years ago, but no idea what it is.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Thanks!

Power Khan posted:

Seeing the real size of this thing was phantastic

Also this.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

tildes posted:

I have an economic history question which may or may not be ancient history - I’m not sure what time period this would be. Basically I’m curious when the concept of depreciation of capital became a thing, as well as measurement of human capital. Are these present this far back, or did they really truly only appear until much later on? Most histories I find talk about 20th century versions which are very close to modern conceptions, but it feels like this concept must be older than that even if the words used to describe it might be different.

From my understanding, deprecation of value doesn't really matter until income tax becomes a thing. Prior to that, you'd be aware that an asset might have a limited lifetime and you'd need to plan business expenditure around that, but any effect on your income is meaningless because that's not what is being taxed.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

And it has come full circle at least in the UK. HMRC (the IRS) won't let you use your accounting depreciation as they don't trust you not to estimate ridiculous useful lives for tax puposes.

Best ancient tax fraud planning is of course the Roman who built a mansion with a tiny tomb for his pet flea, then claimed the whole thing was tax exempt sacred ground.

One weird trick (quaestors HATE it)!!!

I like the timelessness of abusing religion-based tax exemptions.

Has any society ever managed to tax religious institutions?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nessus posted:

Does the jizya count?

I thought about that, but it's more an individual thing rather than a church thing.

(I'll admit I forgot the name and had to check I wasn't walking into a ligma)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

AFashionableHat posted:

Hang on, I gotta go buy a chicken for this one

*rolls eyes

*hoofs off to Delphi with gold tripod

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Another reason to go back to the cubit!

*holds up bag of severed forearms

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I was trying to remember where the cubit was allegedly based on the monarch's arm, so I went to Wikipedia.

My god, so many different official lengths depending where and when you are! And I thought the different volumes of "cup" were annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nope, American cups are 240ml and I think Japan has a 180ml or 200ml cup.

It's not huge, but can gently caress up some recipes if you're not careful.