Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tao Jones posted:

(consider that Famous Lawyer Cicero pretty much only ever prosecuted one guy)

He prosecuted the hell out of that guy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

For educated slaves, people might've chosen it for their children. If you were a peasant and had a bright (male) kid, that kid's life as an educated slave like a doctor would probably be better than as a free peasant.

In Ancient Egypt people would not just voluntarily become temple slaves, they would actually pay for it because it was that much better than being a poor peasant.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Although the history of stuff like public bathing is a really mixed one in medieval history. I remember someone posting about it before.

The baths in Rome weren't that hygienic. Even contemporary sources says that they were full of grease and dirt.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kaal posted:

Basically I'd say that it's a known fact that the baths were extremely popular and fairly hygienic

Even the Romans themselves noted that during use the baths became increasingly more filthy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yall realize the water was not just standing there and was instead being replaced often/constantly due to those big rear end aqueducts right?
The water in the cold baths were replaced fairly often but the hot water wasn't.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i really don't see well to do romans soaking themselves in gross rear end water
Well, they did. To quote the emperor Marcus Aurelius: "Such as bathing appears to thee,—oil, sweat, dirt, filthy water, all things disgusting,—so is every part of life and everything"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

People literally think that a Rome with vast armies of stocky, Italian-looking, legionaries in lorica segmentata overseen by senators in togas ended one day and was immediately replaced by filthy, bearded, and mustachioed barbarians squatting in smoky ruins gnawing on roasted boar's legs. That is a thing people in this world believe, I poo poo you not.

Britain was pretty hosed after the Romans left though. People left the major cities and even simple things like pottery went to poo poo. People actually reused funeral urns.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Imagine smoking three marijuana cigarettes and then having premarital interracial intercourse in a stolen police cruiser while listening to that song about Satan by iron metallica. Now double it. That's opium - not even once.

Having sex with someone that has another skin color, the ultimate high.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody make the obvious joke:mad:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think he means the joke i made in response to him

I'm not even sure that qualify as a joke.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

I know and I'm quite sure, nobody gave a poo poo about that. No fashion magazines to make you feel inferior about your figure.

The vikings actually made other people feel inferior about themselves. They bathed once a week and combed their beard and hair. People actually wrote about how those drat well groomed vikings got more laid than they did.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NLJP posted:

On the whole milk debate, much more interesting is who ever thought up Cow Blowing first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_blowing

Basically: blow air up a cow's vagina or anus to stimulate more milk production. We know this happened all the way up to the 19th century in some places but certainly from near the start of bovine domestication.

Also, why do many sub-saharan pastoralists have shitloads of cows but mostly drink their blood rather than their milk?

edit: reading a bit more, it does seem that more milk than I thought was also used by sub-saharan people but again, more mixed with blood. Probably disregard that question then, I think: answer seems pretty obvious. Just other ways of extracting rich nutrition.

So basically there was one adventurous dude in antiquity who one day asked himself "I wonder what would happen if I blow in this cow's rear end in a top hat."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

my dad posted:

*Quintus starts shuffling his feet awkwardly*

:byodood:Well, I certainly didn't drink too much wine and started to blow Bessy's vagina like she was a loving balloon animal!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh. I just had a hunch that some dude blew air up his farm wives vag

:byodame:Baby, I don't think this is what they mean with the word blowjob

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 13, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

I'm sure the answer is yes, but googling "greatest rulers" likes to list Hitler who wasn't really the type of great I'm looking for.

Were there any rulers in history that weren't colossal dickbags? Like, Alexander the Great is the Great because he tore rear end across the continent. Were there any kings or queens or any sort of leader at all I suppose going back from the feudal era who just sort of chilled and did cool + neat stuff for their subjects or were they all sociopaths/insane because that's what it took to keep from getting assassinated five minutes in?

Frederick II was pretty cool. He managed to conduct a crusade where not a single drop of blood was shed for example. Of course this meant that rest of Europe loving hated him (especially the pope) and Dante put him in the sixth circle of hell.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

Henry VIII was also a great ruler.

Except for the fact that he bankrupted England and executed anyone (including his wife) he didn't like.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Before the invention of a reliable time piece I think the only true open ocean sailors not relying on luck but true navigational skills were the Polynesian.

They also relied on their testicles.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

My problem is that my calls contract nice and tight when cold so I wouldn't get wave action.
Maybe your testicles are broken?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I asked my classics professor and he didn't know the answer so here goes:

Did anyone in ancient Greece sacrifice to/hold festivals for/build temples to Hades? Did the Romans do the same for Pluto?
The Greeks didn't even want to use his name so I don't see why they would build temples for him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

Some years ago I learned a new racial slur on these forums. Norwegians are called 'Sea Jews'.

Someone was loving with you:ssh:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Nope this is the very thing that broke the true line of Roman succession. Pants are barbaric and nothing can change that.

En Romanos, rerum dominos, gentemque togatam!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Otteration posted:

Did Roman toilets and garum improve sanitation?
In Rome toilets were often placed near the kitchen. So probably..not?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Norwegian and Swedish are going to be very similar.

You take that back:colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Good news, everyone.

Turns out the scrolls found in Herculaneum were written in lead-based ink so we can read them with an x-ray machine.

I'm starting to wonder if there was anything in antiquity that wasn't lead-based.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Patter Song posted:

One of these days The Lives of Famous Whores will turn up. It'll just say "Your mother."

It'll have more literary merit than Lives of the Twelve Caesars.

Isn't Lives of Twelve Caesars pretty much The Lives of Famous Whores?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Whore number one, my ex wife:

By Tiberius.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blue Star posted:

What kind of law enforcement was there back in ancient Greece and Rome? I'm under the impression that there wasn't much of anything like a police force, just militias and something like a neighborhood watch. Is this correct? And if I'm a rich person and I witness someone break into my house and steal something but they manage to slip away, what do I do then? How do I track down the thief, and what do I do when I catch him?

There were vigiles.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Thump! posted:

Nero did Rome/11! :tinfoil:

Did you notice how there wasn't any christians around that day?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

See also Diego De Landa and the Maya.

In a surprise twist De Landa is also one of the reasons why we know so much about the Maya: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relaci%C3%B3n_de_las_cosas_de_Yucat%C3%A1n

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

everyone has a vote.

And "everyone" in Athens meant free men who owned land.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

What about Spartacus :ussr:?

Or Arminius.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e:nm

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Catherine the Great posted:

"There's no law that says a horse can't be a lover!"

:haw:

Yeah, I know this just a rumour

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Court - the ancient equivalent to a sitcom

That's So Crassus

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Fresh Emperor of Rome

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Salvi!

I only took a week of Latin. :negative:

The only latin I know is from Asterix and Obelix.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Obliterati posted:

How I Met Your Master

How I Killed Your Mother (starring Nero)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rome Wrecker

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Satire in ancient Egypt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Alaric the first was clearly the best Roman emperor. Charlemagne the second best and Ivan Asen the second the third best.

Pft. Charlemagne couldn't even take Denmark.