Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

rydiafan posted:

I saw the title, made a joke in my head, and then clicked play.

Imagine my joy at discovering my joke was right.

Haha I kind of passed it over but made the same joke. This made me give a listen and I'm glad I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
It never occurred to me that Matt Daemon and Leo DiCaprio look alike. Which I think makes sense since they don't.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've always thought Michael Cera looked a lot like Jesse Eisenberg. Also, I always though that guy who played Ross on Friends looks a lot like Dylan McDermott. Also had this weird association with Chuck Norris / Don Johnson, Aaron Eckhart / Thomas Jane...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Brad Garrett and Patrick Warburton are the same person.

A decade ago, during the like two weeks I tried to use Twitter, I made this joke that Patrick Warburton and Brad Garrett were the same person, and weirdly one of them (I honestly don't remember who), his wife replied with this anecdote about the single time the two worked together and it was real sweet.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Oh, also, Bill Paxton and Bill Pullman. I never THOUGHT I'd get them confused but wow do I ever

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

freeedr posted:

I get Peter Serafinowicz and Patricia Heaton mixed up too

Hey we're all around the same age. Was Patricia Heaton part of anyone else's sexual awakening?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's weird about their names is that, if you list them by their first names only, you get:

Steve
Martin

If you list them by their last names only, you get:

Martin
Short

They should work this into some kind of tour they do together.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Is King Tut canceled or no?

edit: just watched a clip of it for the first time in like twenty years and wow somehow worse than I remembered or expected?

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Feb 14, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

biosterous posted:

swe
den

den
mark

loving every time I would read the funny pages and think, maybe this time...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

HopperUK posted:

Course my other favourite around then was Short Circuit. I really liked the Indian character in that, he was charming and funny and I had a little crush. Now to take a big sip of coffee and look him up on Wikipedia!

Fisher Stevens prides himself in the range of ethnicities he can play. I think I remember reading him quoted as saying, "One day I hope to play a Caucasian."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Big Grunty Secret posted:

You want Memento posts? The part in the middle where he asks his wife about her book "Haven't you read that before? Why does it matter if you know how it ends?" "I'm enjoying what's happening in the story" is a microcosm for the plot.

I still think this is Christopher Nolan's best work.

edit: unrelated but has there ever been a crossover that includes Alien, Predator, Terminator and Robocop? Because I don't see why a c

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Like, the obvious thing would be to create a self-destructing adorable puppy terminator, send it back in time, let Sarah Connor adopt it, boom

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
lol if you still think dogs can't detect evil

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I loved Salvation. I don't understand why everyone hates it? I guess I went in with no expectations, and I hadn't seen this great trailer everyone talks about. All I knew is: Christian Bale is John Connor and it's future stuff. There are things I didn't like about it, but the whole ride I thought was great. I thought it tied in well enough with 1, 2, 3 while being able to pretty well stand on its own as its own thing. The twist ending was also really fitting and, well for me, it surprised me at the time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Also I don't understand how a Terminator could be such a bad shot. How do fuckin robots with the shot accuracy of storm troopers overthrow humanity, anyway?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
For an unrelated thing, I happened upon this quote from Terminator.

quote:

Dr. Peter Silberman: [56:24] Why didn't you bring any weapons, something more advanced? Don't you have, uh... ray guns? Show me a piece of future technology.

Detective Hal Vukovich: [watching from a monitor,chuckling] Ray guns?

Kyle Reese: You go naked. Something about the field generated by a living organism. Nothing dead will go.

Dr. Peter Silberman: Why?

Kyle Reese: I didn't build the loving thing!

It's always been one of those LOL OBVIOUS things, but why not just send a ray gun or a nuke back in time surrounded by living tissue, since you can do it to a whole cyborg. But here it clears it up in a really satisfying way: Kyle Reese didn't build the loving thing. He doesn't know. This is his guess, and he makes it clear he's ignorant about the science behind it.

It just feels good to see that after all this time, I don't know. I always thought he had explained it in a very factual way. Shrug.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Bruce Campbell shows up for the last two minutes in Intruder (1989)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Stephen Colbert was an anthrax mailbomber in an episode of ummm... Criminal Intent, I think.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I saw From Dusk Til Dawn when I was really young and only remembered it for being the movie about vampires and that guy with the dick pistol. Years later when I watched it again I was insisting this wasn't the right movie, because there were no vampires, and this is some movie about a kidnapping or something.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Yeah it might be surprising that Arnold is a good guy in T2 but it's never a secret that T1000 is a bad guy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Bad to the Bone didn't clue me in that he was a good guy, but it did clue me in that this movie has a much different tone than the last.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Android Apocalypse posted:

Don't know if it's subtle, pure coincidence, or :tinfoil: but Terminator 2: Judgement Day was on HBO just now.

https://i.imgur.com/LMkOAhb.mp4

God drat that still makes me tear up a bit

I think I should give Genysis another shot. I went in hoping for a good Terminator sequel and that's probably not the expectations one should have.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Dangit there goes my monocle.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Goodness that scene doesn't hold up as well as I remember.

Objectively the best scene in that movie involves a puppy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A friend of mine has never seen a Terminator movie. I'm kind of silly excited to introduce it to her.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

My wife has seen Terminator, and Terminator 2. Multiple times over the course of our 20 year relationship.

We tried out the Sarah Connor Chronicles on Hulu on a recommendation, and we're on episode, like, 7 or 8, when suddenly:

"Wait a minute, it doesn't make sense! How could Reese be Johns father if John has to send him back in time?"

Subtle.

I've not seen Sarah Connor Chronicles -- is Reese a character in it? Otherwise I don't understand why it doesn't make sense :confused:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey guys

hey

Do you think that if they went with a female body instead of Arnold for like the model

They might have called it

T-80085

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The ideal way to kill John would just be to spread yourself out so much that you turn into a balloon, and you fly high above the city, and wait for John Connor to go on a bike ride, and then you condense yourself into an anvil and crush him from 500 feet.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Crowetron posted:

unfortunately Skynet didn't have time to upload enough Road Runner cartoons to the T-1000 before sending him back.

T-1000 absolutely could have morphed into a fake tunnel on the side of a mountain.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Android Apocalypse posted:

This is just the video version of this:

I get that this is slapstick, but they beat the poo poo out of their DM.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm finally watching Sarah Connor Chronicles. I'd only ever seen like a commercial of it once or twice. Immediately what strikes me is how much better this show would be without Sarah constantly waxing poetic about humanity and hope or whatever. Which I know was kind of a thing from the films, but that makes me wonder if the films wouldn't also be better if they just omitted that. Oh, wait, wasn't she recording all that for John to hear later? Well, anyway, it's excessive and annoying. I'm also really surprised to see Lena Heady as Sarah Connor! Had no idea. And that girl who played River in Firefly is the friendlybot. Neat! John is appropriately annoying. He uses a search engine called LeSearch, and also ICQ Lite ha

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Does Jon Benjamin as a voice actor have any range whatsoever? He's a good actor, but out of the like dozen characters I've heard him voice, it's never been anything other than Jon Benjamin.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Pope Corky the IX posted:

All you have to do is look at John Landis’s behavior before, during, and after the Twilight Zone accident.

I just went to read what else John Landis has been up to and found his last two executive-produced films were called Some Guy Who Kills People and I Hate Kids.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Intrigued by what I've read in this thread, I've been watching TSCC and wow, this feels like it would be a great show if it had come out maybe fifteen years later. This came out I think before 24? Before shows started having progressively developing plots. But everything about this kind of sucks. All the CG is dated extremely badly, all the violence is held back, it's got way too much of that mouthbreather-girl look that was for some reason super attractive for a while, and a lot of the actors they use have the charisma of a potato. And just the general bad parts of Terminator -- like instead of killing their target they throw them around a bit, and also terminators are weirdly bad shots.

But it would be hard to make a Terminator movie starting out in modern times. Having to use a phonebook or break into school records to even find John Connor is a big part of the hunt and all that is made pretty redundant by today's technology and social media.

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Mar 26, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Len posted:

TSCC was 2008

24 started in 2001

I honestly thought TSCC was released right alongside Terminator 3 :O

Which I thought came earlier :O

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Jedit posted:

It was actually released two years before Terminator: Genisys, which was part of why it was cancelled - Fox didn't want two timelines running side by side and confusing viewers.

I guess this is ironic? Don't you think?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
What does DARK stand for?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Dangit well what is The Maiden of Oreleans?

Nevermind I'll look it up.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles update: I don't really like the show for the most part but the sequence with the FBI raid in S1E9 was really good!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I was thinking that it was perhaps a compromise of standards of violence on television from that era. It is a really well executed scene though, being able to convey all the action of an otherwise expensive heavy action scene with something nuanced and suggestive.

This show sure immediately gets stupid, though.

I'm a bad terminator now. Why? Because explosion made me goofy. Now I'm a good terminator. Why? Uhhhh because I made a promise not to kill you? What the gently caress?

also: Why the gently caress do they keep sending John to school? Even in 2008 or whatever this was filmed in, there comes a point where your picture is so well known and connected to things that -- also what is even the POINT of trying to blend in? So John can grow up and be a senator if things work out? Also: "John, you need to go to school," she says, and the next scene shows John with a hosed UP FACE in the hallway. Yeah, this kid who clearly cuts his own hair and still has what seem to be open wounds all over his face, that's a great way to stay under the radar john loving connor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hockles posted:

The scene where the Latino gang explains 9/11 to Sarah? That had already happened by that point.

Hahaha I was in tears