Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
kickstarter, the web site where innovative entrepreneurs beg the internet for the money they couldn't get from seasoned investors who know what they're doing. where the reward for investing in the next hot startup is a t-shirt and a shout out on the company's twitter feed. where niche audiences desperate for attention will rapidly fund any and all available "my little pony" documentaries.

* the Wingz Hybrid Keyboard from the android thread.

rival designs by Deuterieux and jwoven:

* is it a macbook? is it an iphone? ... it's bookphoneiXtender

they basically admit on the page that it's just going to be a bluetooth keyboard and a screen connected using video-out but they also patented it and expect it to eventually be as commonplace as laptops. somehow they believe there is simultaneously a huge unmet demand for these products and that apple itself couldn't just grind their company into a fine paste with an competing product if that demand ever materialized.

* if the bass from your beats by dre headphones still isn't dope enough you probably will want to carry around this thing, the Vampeo Portable Headphone Amplifier. did i mention it's totally portable?

* Emacsy: plz pay me $5000 to re-write the shittiest open sores text editor as an embeddable library that will also be open source but not based on the original code. i am currently a CS PhD student and this may or may not be a clever way for me to make money off a dumb phD thesis i'm already working on anyway.

* Project 13: plz pay me $390,000 to finish making a 15 minute ~anime music video~ (not posting screenshots cuz i don't want to be banned)

* can obama energy drink/political statement. watch the video for some fat college republicans who stress that they have nothing against obama as a person, they just disagree with his politics; they then have a laugh explaining how the contents of their energy drink were specifically chosen as a set up for a very lame birther joke

* ron paul liberty coin. ron paul jokes are old but i still thought this was amusing:

* saved the best for last. this guy:

mostly designs leather corsets for a living, but he thinks that with $500 he can make a steam-powered prosthetic arm for his disabled friend. his inspiration is the anime full metal alchemist. it will be made of brass and probably far too heavy for a guy with a gimpy arm to use comfortably, and in the video he admits he has no idea how to make the fingers work. but in the hallowed tradition of steampunk-based internet projects, he sure has a few promising sketches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

ahhh spiders posted:

i have a portable headphone amp

you better tell that dude someone stole his cool idea!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
having a disability is tough when people stare and treat you like some sort of freak; all that will change once he can proudly walk down the street donning a victorian-era brass arm that regularly ejects streams of scalding hot water vapor

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

got dat wmd posted:

Every portable headphone amp looks like that except you won't see beats plugged into it.

Fiio E17 is a better choice for a portable amp/dac with 24bit than that thing though.

personally i can't see carrying anything like that around with me anyway but for the record the kickstarter one is about twice as thick and nearly twice as heavy as the Fiio E17 according to its own specs

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
some promising new video game kickstarters!

* Angry Naughty Nerds iPhone app looking for a $30,000 investment to finish a highly original new game from a guy who describes himself as "An innovative, effective, well-rounded senior executive with strong leadership skills. An accomplished manager for over 25 years in quick growing start up environments."

* this project, entitled Record audio of a car via dyno for use in racing games was actually funded successfully. near as i can tell he got paid $1600 from the internet so he can go to a garage and record his car making cool vrooom vrooom noises because somehow this will let him break into the video game industry? idk wtf but $100 pledges at least got a DVD of the sound files..

* this one is legitimately cool, someone is making a game based on my posting and i encourage you all to donate at the $100 level:

* Finally a video game project with some true autistic merit entitled, NES Characters Made out of NES Carts.

the investment pitch is brief so for your convenience i will reproduce it here, in full:

quote:

I want to make as many Characters from the NES that I can out of old NES Carts.. Each cart will represent one Pixel in the full Sprite.. Each cart will be painted to match each pixel then placed on a back ground made of wood which will also be painted... I want to also make one to send to nintendo to be on display...
he's looking to raise $10,000.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

John de Lancie (born March 20, 1948) is an American actor. He has been active in screen and television roles since 1977, though he is best known for his recurring role as Q on the various Star Trek series and as Frank Simmons in Stargate SG-1, and Discord in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Resplendent Spiral posted:

ms faust is going to leave that dinner reward very, very disturbed.

come now, surely the only brony who would pay out $10k is some successful businessman with a quirky taste in TV shows who's rich enough toahahahahahaha

it's going to be a fat sweaty otaku who secretly charged it to his mom's credit card and brought his pony sexdoll wifu along as his "guest", isn't it?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

pram posted:

yeah. its going to be you :pwn:

um no i don't have a pony sexdoll wifu (not ready to settle down yet)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Drone_Fragger posted:

You joke about steampunk arms being totally useless but DARPA actually funded and built a steampunk arm powered using highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide and a catalyst to produce stupidly high temperature and pressure steam fairly easily, which could then be used to actuate a bunch of pistons.

i bet they spent more than $500 on that (typical govt waste)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
if you type "steampunk" into the kickstarter search box you are pretty much guaranteed to find something hilarious

2013 Steampunk Body Painting Calendar, aka "nude chicks with gear pasties and crudely-painted corsets"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

ahmeni posted:

has anyone posted the saddest kickstarter yet:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/akaworf/through-the-fire-life-after-star-trek

michael dorn what happened to you

um.......... thats not even the saddest former star trek actor's kickstarter

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sweevo posted:

yeah, like 15 years ago.

i mean tv/movies can pay well, but at his level it's not "never have to work again" well

i guess the sad part is that an actor can dedicate 10 years to perfecting the part of "spartan with a prosthetic forehead" and still struggle to land a leading role in a romantic comedy

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
we got the whole star trek cast up in this poo poo i guess

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/880837561/skycube-the-first-satellite-launched-by-you

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

CraigK posted:

the best thing about twitter is seeing who's following that @TNG_S8 account and finding out that every main cast member from tng is following it

owns

that twitter feed owns

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

I will fix that unlear typo.

Really trying to make this cool stat system. It isn't ready yet, but it will get there.

Search is up and running now: statpedia.com/staging/week-20

We are also working on doing some autofeed stuff for data from places like worldbank.org

By no means is statpedia ready, but it will get there.

Any words of wisdom are more than welcome. Just trying my best here. I will most likely post this thing back up on kickstarter with a lower minimum, and a better pitch video.

Anyways, thanks for all the input guys. :)

Welcome to the thread good sir! I watched your video and read your kickstarter info and I'm still not really sure what statpedia is supposed to be used for. Can you give an example of what someone would be able to do with this project once it's up and running? You might want to address this in your next video in order to improve your chances of funding. Other ways to improve your chances of funding on kickstarter: have your project have something to do with My Little Pony and/or Android video gaming. Maybe statpedai can provide stats related to these things?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

Thanks. :)

What is this project supposed to do is create a collaborative system to upload stats.

Lets say... store some data to the nodes I create called time, person, and location for the Stat "Population".

Then lets say someone else comes in and creates a title called "Crime Rates", and all these nodes match up correctly.

So... if I have a place where anything can be uploaded to these nodes, then I believe one day, it will really show a lot of insightful information.

Lets say a user comes to the site and types in "Population of Russia and China" into the search engine. It should be able to dynamically generate a chart like this: "http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=population+of+russia+and+china"

I believe there are limitations on wolfram's ability to achieve the scale that a stat system can be with the entire world as collaborators.

We have some standard data formats going to be accepted in the pipeline. I really just wanted to start out the system as simple as possible, so that even a kid can come along and create a table.

I feel like there is no stat search engine on the internet. Wolfram is good, but still limited in my opinion. When I go to Wolfram and type "babe ruth RBI", I should be able to see a chart dynamically generate of his RBI over time.

I think this is also one of those projects where just seeing how it grows over time will also lead to new directions.

If people want to enter stats about ponies, that is fine too. :)

Statpedia allows stats for everything and anything. Please don't upload random photos!

A lot of times when I do google searches, I only see a bunch of links, and I find that looking up stats on the internet can be difficult.

If this project can be a place were people go as a default place to look up stats, that is the main objective.

You could probably get more people to pay you if you have, like, "sponsored stats" that you could buy as an investor reward. Like maybe I pay you $10 and you put up a stat saying Dixie Cretin Seaman was ranked #1 world's greatest lover and then I just tweet the link to that stat and wait for the bitchez to come knocking down my door all hungry to ride my dilz.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

julian assflange posted:

The basic idea is ok actually but you won't make money off it.

you mean aside from the nearly 1 million USD "development costs" he begged for from kickstarter?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
hey statpedia guy you have really sweet hair but you should take a better photo without so much glare from the flash. i think if you do that you'll probably get the $10 million kickstarter for the dream you dared to dream that is statpedai

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
sorry but statpedia sounds like a bad idea that will never be useful to anyone

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

JawnV6 posted:

btw, this is the single best idea that's been posted and you just sailed right past it

nah the best was dual cumming

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
welp, that steampunk arm was funded over three months ago so im sure the $200 backer got his steam-powered arm last month as promised, but somehow i can't find any pictures of the finished product or acknowledgement of project completion or new steampunk arms available for sale on the inventor's etsy. in fact there have been no new references to the project whatsoever in the last three months according to google. it's as if that $540 in donations just disappeared into a black hole?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

good job taking a respectable photo for your profile

you need sound in the video and you still don't explain what your site will actually do or why anyone should care

statpedia's animated favicon is distracting and looks too much like the webpage loading animation so out of the corner of my eye i always think statpedia hasn't finished loading. this might be a good thing tho, since it makes me stay longer thinking maybe something useful or interesting is eventually going to load

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
here's a plot for you:
$ raised vs # of statpedia kickstarters

0 _______________________________

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Windows Update started throwing 0x8000FFFF a day ago, and now my machine is out of compliance with NAP, so my network access is limited. Luckily, I'd just sent the FY11 reports off to Mr. Henderson, so I was off the hook for the rest of the afternoon. I picked up the phone and called down the hall.

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh no, not Ian. He wouldn't know what to do with me.

I hung up and waited five minutes, then put the call back into IT.

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh hell, why not.

"Hi Ian, this is Andrea in 219. My Windows Update is giving me errors, and now it says my connection is limited and I can't get anywhere. Can you come take a look?"

"Sure thing, I'll be there in a minute."

A few minutes later, Ian peeks his head around the corner. "Come on in, Ian".

Looks like he stopped by the Coke machine on the way in. "Hi, Andrea. So, you're having problems with your updates?"

I stand up and offer my chair to him. He places the Coke on the desk, sits down, and cracks his knuckles before popping the soda open. I watch as he minimizes my Internet Explorer window, which was open to a Google search for "tantric sex".

I walk over to shut the door, then bend over the desk, giving him a straight shot down my silky top. "How's things, Ian?"

His eyes turn and look straight down my shirt, then up to me. He gets a silly grin and stammers out, "Uh, oh, OK. Just fine". Then turns back to the computer.

Seconds pass.

"Ahh, its this dang KB928731. Microsoft Word 2007 update. This thing's been a real pain, but I should have you up in a jiff."

"Cool", I say, twirling my hair. I stand up and walk over to the window, resting my butt on the frame. Ian continues typing.

"Ian, don't you ever think about all these people in this big city? Going here and there.."

Ian's eyes stay on the screen, but his fingers are lifted, hovering over they keys, as if they are hanging breathless on my next words.

"Going to jobs they hate, returning home to families they're emotionally disconnected from."

Ian instinctively reaches in his pocket and pulls out his Bianca spray to freshen his breath.

A sinister tone takes over my voice. "Doing things they..shouldn't do?"

Silence.

"Put it in the hole, Ian."

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

Because I can do anything.

except get funding for statpedia :)

Ian McLean posted:

I actually sent Jeff Dean an email once, and here is what he said:

Dear Jeff,

I am honestly not expecting a response because I am sure you are a busy man. I admire the reputation you have acquired, and I want to obtain the skills you have and follow in your footsteps.

Here are my questions as follows:

1. What do you consider to be the most valuable skills and attributes to have as a programmer, and what do you personally strive to do yourself on a regular basis?

2. If there is some type of structure or schedule I can establish within my own lifestyle to dedicate my time, what would my daily, weekly and monthly routine look like to become as great as you? (specifically relating to programming)

3. Is there any self disciplined method you do to maintain and test performance benchmarks or achievments?

Like you, I have also done a substantial amount of traveling. At this point I am completely content being fully emersed in code. If you were to tell me: spend 1 hour a day learning/coding in Python or C++ through tutorial abc, 2 hours a day reading and doing such and such, and x amount of hours spent doing y for z days, I will do whatever you say.

If you had an apprentice program I would sign up in a heartbeat. I would give you total commitment like a navy seal for programming.

Hope you are doing well.

Sincerely,

Ian McLean

Hi Ian,

(1) I think being able to quickly visualize many alternative ways of solving a particular problem, and to quickly evaluate the tradeoffs involved in each of them, is pretty important for building good software systems. I gave a talk in a class at Stanford a few years ago that has some advice about being able to do this effectively:

http://research.google.com/people/jeff/stanford-295-talk.pdf

(2) Two important things for becoming a better programmer are to practice, and to also spend time reading other people's well-written code. There are a number of open source programs, packages, libraries, etc. that you can look at these days that exemplify good programming practices, and actually reading this code in detail is a great way to see how other people solve particular programming problems.

(3) We have an in-house set of libraries here at Google that I helped develop that make it easy to write various microbenchmarks and measure their performance. It's nothing too sophisticated: the framework just takes care of timing the actual benchmark, subtracting off loop overhead, running short loops for more iterations, etc.

I'm afraid I don't have an apprentice program :). I'm not sure what your current status is (student, etc.), but various internship programs are available with a wide variety of companies, depending on your skills and qualifications.

Regards,
-Jeff

this is adorable, he probably thought you were very well-spoken for a 12 year old boy sending letters to his ~programming idol~

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

oh dear god

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
hey statpedia dude how does it feel knowing that your project earned far less kickstarter funds than furry fuel

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

clockwork sundial posted:

http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com/post/32399606437/boys-will-be-boy-is-a-racy-art-feature-film

“Boys Will Be Boy” is a Racy Art Feature Film about a Bisexual Down Low NCAA Basketball Player, Athlete, NBA Potential Number One Draft Pick, Gang-Banger, Underground Rapper, who impregnates his private/secret Gay-Boy/Homie-Lover-Friend, who turns out to be a Rare One-Of-A-Kind Reproducing Hermaphrodite with an internal Female Organ.

hmm the text says that the nba player impregnates the thug but the banners on the kickstarter page say the reverse?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

I am attending school full time. Perhaps someone might want something to do outside work or something.

I personally enjoy working on statpedia. I find it to be very interesting, and rewarding.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
its a bunch of lovely startups that got millions of dollars in funding from angel investors, which makes them much less mockable than kickstarters. but basically they seem to all be "[annoying trendy poo poo], but with [different user base]!"

art.sy "spotify for the art world"
kaggle "crowdsourcing predictive modelling" aka
duckduckgo "google but for even bigger spergs"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

JawnV6 posted:

he's using the same kind of fearmongering and bullshit that people were flinging around when the first mainstream dual cores came out which was the same fearmongering bullshit that came out with the first batch of multicore systems ever

i'm biased though, because right at the start when he says "we hit a frequency wall, we hit a memory bottleneck, and things just stopped" and i fly into a nerd rage because what the gently caress am i doing every goddamn day except exactly those two things

but you're not making adequate progress. you really should consider crowdsourcing the wisdom of the slashdot hordes

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Proteus4994 posted:

ian should focus on cs grad school and forget any of this kickstarter poo poo until he understands something

i was gunna tell him that but then i thought it was funnier not to

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

The intro class is Python. I just wanted some formal programming training for best practices.

kickstart a quantum computer

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

Not that Statpedia isn't interesting enough on its own to probably get me in Stanford;

i guess you better hope the stanford admissions committee has lower standards than the kickstarter users who passed on statpedia in favor of zombie law

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

can this thread still be about worthless kickstarters or is this just the ian mclean depreciation station?

cause well i found this list of terrible poo poo that i won't even describe, it speaks for itself

https://angel.co/done-deals

lol the same day this was posted ian made a barebones profile there to beg for statpedia money with nothing but a one-line project description with the tag "Irvine"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
oh sorry ian that was rude of me. i thought you were gone and we could gossip about you behind your back :shobon:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

So... do you guys actually think I might have a shot if I ramp up this profile and seriously put some effort into it? https://angel.co/statpedia

100% serious: in order to get interest on angel.co you would need to put substantially more into your pitch than you did for kickstarter. you would need to address the question i asked earlier, "what is the point of statpedia?" ie why does the average user care about it? if you're asking rich ppl to give you millions of dollars they will also want to know how you plan to eventually make money off your idea, bc they are betting on long-shots, not on ideas with 0% chance of ever making them money off their investment. you might also want to explain how you can possibly compete with larger, more established players like google or wolfram, bc if a "statpedia" type service became profitable, you can bet other people would be trying to copy your idea, and a lot of them will have enough experience and resources to do it far better than you, and in far less time than you. if you don't have some patent or special secret algorithm or some other specialized capability that protects your business model, you will be steamrolled by someone larger as soon as your site takes off. finally, you would need to demonstrate some track record of success, bc having a good idea is not the same as being able to execute it. having taken courses at UC Irvine is, sadly, not enough to demonstrate that you can successfully build and run a business, not even a bullshit web 2.0 business.

to be 100% honest i don't think you can do any of the things i listed above. at best you might find some experienced dude on that site willing to give you some pointers to improve your game, but judging by your response to criticism in this thread, that would be a waste of time as well.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

i have to believe this is a troll but if not, please share this important crank video with your physics professors ASAP so they know exactly how retarded you are and don't feel bad when they inevitably fail you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

When people start throwing machines at statpedia snycing ip numbers from all over the wolrd, perhaps by then the quantum algorithms will be able to detect those silly patterns.

Quantum Algorithms actually sounds really cool, could you elaborate on this? Are you planning on running Statpedia off a quantum computer server bank or something?

• Locked thread