Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bamabalacha posted:

While we were singing the praises of our no cable set-up to some friends the other day, my boyfriend admitted that there's one thing he misses: being able to watch the 24 hour news and finance channels. Are there any good ways to get a full stream of, say, CNBC, CNN, Newsworld, and CP24 without a computer being present? The "house" computer is my laptop--I generally take it to the office with me and my boyfriend and I work opposite schedules.

We have an AppleTV, a 360, and Sony Smart TV in the house all the time. Oh, and we're in Canada, but we already use UnoDNS for our unblocking needs.

I took a peek at the absolute lowest end packages from Bell and Rogers, and they start at $40 a month. gently caress Canadian telecom :(

http://www.aljazeera.com/

They have an online 24 hour stream (and they are also a million times better than any American news network)

Finance TV live stream

http://www.bloomberg.com/tv/

- edit Oh, you wanted it without a computer? I know the Roku has the Al Jazeera stream in one of their channels.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

in4m posted:

The Winegard Flatwave digital antenna is only 20 bucks.
http://bensoutlet.com/products/winegard-flatwave-mini-indoor-hdtv

This a supposedly better alternative to the Mohu Leaf mentioned in the OP. It normally goes for 35-40 at Amazon. I just picked one up with free shipping and no tax in southern California.

Thanks for that. I've been thinking about buying one for awhile now.

- edit poo poo, that's a mini Flatwave :(

quote:

Optimal for major metropolitan areas or within 15 miles of broadcast tower
Optimized for UHF reception (may receive VHF signals in strong signal areas)

Hope I can cancel my order.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 12, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

in4m posted:

http://bensoutlet.com/faq

Apparently you cannot cancel the order, but you can return it within 30 days for any reason at no cost. I may end up doing this. It's a great deal though for anyone who gets everything that they need with UHF.

What a garbage site. I emailed them twenty minutes after placing my order and they've never gotten back to me (but they did immediately charge my card). I'm going to refuse the shipment and if they don't refund me quick, do a chargeback.

Spend the extra $9 and get a used normal one from Amazon Warehouse

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...ag=evdaisafi-20

They canceled it.

quote:

Thank you for contacting Ben's Outlet,
Your order has been canceled and you should see the refund reflected on your original form of payment within 5-7 business days.
We look forward to your next order on Bensoutlet.com
Yuset

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 13, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

The new Roku software update is available now if you manually check for updates on a device that is eligible.

Fantastic update. I don't know what type of voodoo magic they came up with but it made my Roku LT blazing fast when navigating the menus/store/options.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PaganGoatPants posted:

Hulu plus is weird. I see episodes online that I can't view through my set-top box. It's very strange. I was so pissed I cancelled.

Certain shows are only licensed for online PC view. It's a contract thing.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Amazon Prime - Selection wasn't great. And what is up with the season gaps in shows? LOST: Season 1, and 3-6. Huh?

Season 2 is available?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TotallyGreen posted:

I'm thinking about dropping Directv. Is there any major benefit to buying a Roku rather than using the PS3 I already own?

I have a remote already for the PS3 and upgraded the hard drive.

I don't know how loud the PS3 is or how much energy it uses but the Roku is silent and uses under 3W when streaming HD video. If either of those are important to you, it may be worth picking one up.

Otherwise, I doubt it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is my Roku LT defective?

It runs hot even when it's not doing anything, feels like it's going to melt after a couple hours of HD video, audio from Amazon Cloud Player drops out about every 30 seconds and subtitles on Hulu Plus freeze up.

I thought maybe it was the low spec hardware holding it back but the LT I gave my parents has none of these issues.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

It may be misidentifying. Look through your library for something that doesn't belong.

There's also a chance that, if it's TV shows, the files aren't named in a fashion where the media scanner can pick them up. I've had that happen before and it was fixed by renaming them Show.Sxx.Exx.Episode Name

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, like I said I was going to get Prime regardless. I don't think I buy enough to warrant the full $79 price for it, but I see goons are selling "family" spots in SA-Mart for $16 or less which looks like they get all the same features minus the Instant Video streaming cause that's just for the primary account. Was just debating if I should buy in on an existing account and skip the Instant Video, or if I should buy Prime for $79 and split it with others.

Pay the full and split it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ShadowStalker posted:

How does this work after you hit your goal with BING? Do they give you a code you enter in the Hulu Plus website? Do you already need a Hulu+ account for this? Does Hulu+ just not charge your credit card every month since you have a month added on from Bing?

You cash in your points.
Microsoft emails you a code.
You go to a special section on Hulu.
Input code.
Get credited a month of service to the account you're signed into.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Photex posted:

Amazon is offering to long time members $20 a month payment plan for the Fire TV, I almost went for it but no hbo go and ustvnow.

Official HBO Go is coming later this year and you can all sideboard android apps (like HBO GO :) but you need a controller or mouse to control it)

withak posted:

Can anyone confirm that the voice search doesn't include your Plex server? Googling sounds like voice search works for amazon content only.

Voice can only do Amazon/Hulu/Vivo at the moment. Netflix is suppose to be coming soon and it seems like it's reliant on app makers to opt in.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

I got a Fire TV and it is way faster than my Roku 2. The UI is better too, a lot less wasted screen space when browsing. My only complaint is in browsing content from Amazon there is no way to separate the free stuff from the not-free stuff. If you want to browse around for something to watch for free then you basically have to do it on a computer because the Fire TV mostly shows you stuff for rent or purchase.

edit: After a bit more clicking around, the difficulty in finding the Prime content that I pay $99/year to stream is seriously annoying. I'm giving it a few more days but ATM I am leaning towards returning it.

That's a coming soon feature.

quote:

Features Coming Soon

Coming this Spring, we’ll be releasing a free, over-the-air software update for all Fire TV devices. The update will include the following features:

- Prime browse: Browse several categories of Prime content, including, but not limited to: Top Prime TV, Top Prime Movies, Prime TV for Kids, Prime Movies for Kids, Prime TV by Genre, Prime Movies by Genre
- Amazon FreeTime: Create custom profiles for up to four kids, choosing the movies, TV shows, apps, and games they can access. Easily set up daily screen limits and restrict certain types of content.
- Amazon Music: Listen to music from your Amazon Music Library. See lyrics that display line by line while you listen to many of your favorite songs.
- Games & Fire TV app: In addition to the over one hundred games available on Fire TV, play thousands of touch enabled games with the new Fire TV app for your phone or tablet

I didn't even notice it until somebody else pointed it out to me. They really buried it on the Fire TV page.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 12, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

I saw that too, but it says "coming this spring" and I have a thing about buying stuff based on how it works now, not based on how it might hypothetically work in the future.

So return it? I don't know what to tell you.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FCKGW posted:

A Roku box is just as capable as a FireTV. It doesn't have XBMC but it has Plex which is nearly the same thing.

Not really. Plex has a small amount of official add-ons but it can't even touch the user created add-ons of XBMC.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gyshall posted:

This thread has convinced me to get a FireTV and I haven't even looked into it at all. Is it just android? I want to sideload stuff to it!

If only there some type of thread where we could discuss the Fire TV...

:)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pillowpants posted:

My wife has one concern: She wants to be able to watch The Walking Dead relatively quickly after it airs.

If you go the official route, you can get the SD version for $1.89 an episode with Amazon TV pass. They usually put up the episode within 24 hours of air.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

azurite posted:

Has anyone made the jump from a Roku 2 (OG. XS) to a Roku 3? I mostly use it for Netflix, YouTube, and sometimes Amazon. The YouTube app is cool and all, but it's slow as rear end and it crashes a lot. Will the Roku 3 fix this? Are there better options now?

I upgraded to the Fire TV from a Roku LT and it's like light and day. On the Roku LT, the Hulu app had a crazy amount of slow down with navigation and a delay when hitting buttons while a video's playing. On the Fire TV, it's buttery smooth. Same with YouTube.

You may want to check it out if you're interested in XBMC and other android apps. But it's worth noting that the Fire TV Netflix uses the old interface http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 13, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I am sick of Brighthouse and am ditching them. I tried chromecast and didn't like it, should I try the roku 3 or a fire tv? Which has better speed / easier interface? I didn't see the fire tv in the op.

I made a Fire TV thread. I think the added functionality is worth it over the Roku and it's not that difficult to set up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Finally bought my Fire, it is very zippy. Finally got to try out these instructions. I saved my apk to the c:\ drive in the root directory as "xbmc13.apk" to make it easier to type, and installed the adb tools there as well, everything worked out great, very straightforward

Or even easier.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I haven't tried it but some guy at XDA hacked together a GUI for it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2736774

Call Me Charlie posted:

Since I was looking to do a factory refresh anyways, I decided to give this a test run.

Besides looking like it time warped out of 1999, it seems simple enough.

I turned on ADB debugging on my Fire TV, entered the Fire TV IP into the program and selected the XBMC apk (Gotham arm) I downloaded. The script opens up command prompt, does all the poo poo you'd normally have to do by hand and pushes it to the Fire TV. Simple enough. It may look like it's frozen but it's a 60 MB file so give it a minute or two.

When you see this

It's installed.

I don't really care about the splash screen but I figured I tried it. Saved over the included one with http://i59.tinypic.com/2mi409g.png - Installed with no problem. Honestly, XBMC loads so quickly that you'll barely see it.

Clicked Install Llama - it worked

Didn't know what Llama XBMC config was so I ignored it and used the method on XBMC wiki to redirect Classic TV into launching XBMC.

quote:

Install / side-load Llama.
Install “Classic TV” app from Amazon app store.
Launch Llama (From FireTV - Settings > Applications > Llama > Launch Application).
Go to EVENTS on top menu and click '+' to add a NEW EVENT.
In your NEW EVENT select ADD CONDITION then, from the Menu select 'Active Application' and select 'Choose App’. Scroll through the list of apps until you find “Classic TV” and select this app. Doing this should return you to the Events Menu.
Next, select ADD ACTION and select 'Run Application' from the Menu list. From here, select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. At this point you can also name your event to distinguish it from others.

And that worked. Now every time I click Classic TV, it fires XBMC. No having to dig around in the settings for it.

I didn't try 'switch Classic TV icon with XBMC icon' since it requires root but here's what it looks like installed.

- edit I decided to root and it walked me through setting it up. And I replaced the icon. No issues.

The whole process seemed brain dead simple. I guess if you're scared of going into the command prompt yourself, this will work for you. And it can sideload any apk, not just XBMC.

If you need to push a XBMC repository like PleXBMC, you can use one of the command prompts the program opens. Just type

adb push <local pc path to file> <destination path on fire tv>

so example

adb push C:\Android\FireTV\repositories_installer.zip /sdcard/Download

then it's the standard add-ons -> install from zip file -> root filesystem -> sdcard -> downloads to install your zip

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm not going to deal with installing XBMC on a FireTV and supporting it for them; they have very little tolerance with things crashing, and it sounds like Fire w/ XBMC isn't terribly stable at the moment (and Amazon might update it so it breaks it anyway).
Given that, which streamer would be best for them?

XBMC is pretty rock solid on FireTV and Amazon can't do anything to break it since it isn't installed through a hole but Amazon provided developer tools.

Still, Roku 3 is probably the best parent friendly solution available.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tyson Tomko posted:

Question about the FireTV. I know the Roku 3 is always on because it draws so little power in idle, but does the FireTV do the same or do you have to traditionally have to turn it on/off?

It goes into sleep mode after 30 minutes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Wooty posted:

Not having money would be one reason.

If you've had your Amazon account for awhile, you could be able to buy a Fire TV on a interest free payment plan. 5 payments of $19.80

I did that for my second one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Im not saying there isn't a lot of content, im saying the addon system is very limited in what it can do. You cant do roku style apps on xbmc.

I feel like a broken record but that's what makes the Fire TV so interesting. It has it's own appstore, you can sideload XBMC and you can sideload any android apk (even if it's a crapshoot whether it will work or not)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

angryrobots posted:

Is there any set top box or smart tv that has a built in browser that does flash? Espn3 requires flash to load. The watchespn app that some boxes advertise won't work.

You can sideload Firefox and Flash onto the Fire TV but you'll need a mouse to control it (or something like the Logitech K400)

But I remember being able to access ESPN 3 on my Roku LT without having to log in.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 30, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

The only flash you'll get on android is with Dolphin Browser + Jetpack + the hacked Flash someone made for Kitkat. I have this running on my android set top box and it works fine. I suspect it would not work as well on a FireTV, based on absolutely nothing, just gut feeling.

I sideloaded Firefox and flash player for android on my Fire TV and it worked fine so...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

aw yiss posted:

My father is looking at retiring soon and they're paying something ridiculous like $170 a month for a regular tv channel lineup (no movie channels), phone and mediocre internet with Cablevision. He is kind of stubborn in his ways and enjoys the background noise of a bunch of reality type tv shows like Top Chef, America's Got Talent, Man vs. Food and some occasional sports. He DVRs everything so he can skip through commercials but he very much likes the ease of switching back and forth between channels and not having to worry about actually searching for anything.

I think he mostly just uses the tv for background noise while he plays candy crush and card games on his laptop all day so honestly I don't think the offerings need to be that huge but rather it just needs to be easy to flip through altering forms of background noise with the occasional ability to watch the sports he wants to watch which is mostly golf and football.

If there's something that's good for this right out of the box then great but I have no qualms about building something myself, I just haven't a single clue about any of the cable offerings or their equivalents since I stick to movies and HBO series.

Maybe something like XBMC/PseudoTV and a cheap Roku with Hulu Plus?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 24, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hughmoris posted:

Google is putting out their new streaming player:

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

Kind of a bummer how it's basically Google Fire TV: Hockey Puck Edition. I wonder how much storage it has or if it has a USB port.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Kind of a bummer how it's basically Google Fire TV: Hockey Puck Edition. I wonder how much storage it has or if it has a USB port.

Ugh. I read in another thread that it's 8 GB and no USB port. That makes it worse than the Fire TV since you won't be able to hook up a USB keyboard/mouse/FLIRC or use a wired controller like the 360 controller.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

The writing continues to be on the wall for traditional cable's business model:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/13/media/sony-announces-vue/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

I'm more interested in what Dish Network's working on. They're rumored to be shooting for a $20-30 a month price point and they have a decent amount of partners onboard. The Sony one would be interested if they rolled it out to more devices.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/streaming/dish-network-s-ott-video-venture-schedule-year-end-bow-34521

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/dish-plans-to-charge-ott-subs-extra-for-live-local-tv-channels-sources-1201320623/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 14, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Library management can be handled by an SQL server for XBMC.

Or upnp.

withak posted:

If you know how to do that then you probably don't need short and to-the-point comparisons between the Plex vs. XBMC.

I was pretty shocked to see how simple it was to set up upnp on XBMC when I transitioned from Plex. Turn on 'Share video and music libraries through UPnP' in the settings and that's it. You lose the benefits you get from adding media to the library but you can use a skin like Amber to link the videos/music directly to the front page.

And it's only a matter of time before they figure out how to add upnp sources to the library or add better upnp support. It's pretty basic but it's on par with Plex (at least for local support on your home network)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 17, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know if upnp does the same thing as sql on xbmc

All my xbmc clients are in sync, if i watch a show on one i can pick it up on another, all my watch history is synced up. If i wipe and reload a machine i just copy my advancedsettings.xml and all my stuff is there with history.

It's sounds kind of alike.

You enable upnp on the main machine that's serving up the media. On the machine catching, you go videos -> files -> add videos -> find the video or music library from the main machine -> add it -> after it's added, add to favorites -> at that point, you can add it to main page with a skin like Amber and hide the original videos or music tab.

The watch history, with local media, is all synced up since it's communicating with the main machine.

A few small issues with using upnp, on the machines catching, are:

- Since it's not adding the upnp media into the library, you lose the advanced features from that. Like smart playlists with videos or party mode with music.
- Edit sort title doesn't work.
- It doesn't bring over all of the information. Ratings are missing for some reason. You can't access trailers. You can't pull up the full info page when browsing like you could on the main machine.

But Plex doesn't really have any of that anyways so it isn't that big of a loss for me. I'm sure upnp support on XBMC will probably be all fleshed out in 2-3 years anyways.

But to expand on what it does bring over. Here's some screenshots from one of my setups going from the main screen into movie title.

PitViper posted:

My desktop hosts the database and file shares, the clients just play back media. Makes it easier to manage, and keeps the noisiest piece of the setup tucked in my office instead of next to the TV.

That's what I did. I put my old HTPC in a spare room and use a few Fire TVs to catch around the house.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Donald Kimball posted:

If I use mostly Netflix, HBO GO, and occasionally cast from my computer to the TV (to watch torrents or free streams), what would be my best choice?

As soon as the HBO GO app is launched, Fire TV Stick + XBMC w/ addons

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Can this HDHomeRun HDHR4-2US do HD upnp streams from a OTA source?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GY0UB54

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Yes but you need a device capable of mpeg2 decoding which lots of things do not support.

This one
http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-H...=hdhomerun+h264

Will transcode internally to h264

Darn. The Fire TV doesn't have hardware accelerated mpeg2 support. That one you linked seems to have mixed reviews and I was really hoping to grab a cheap one.

Irritated Goat posted:

The upload to Hulu is actually cut up and doesn't contain the entire broadcast.

You aren't missing much. Most of the time, they cut out non-essential filler, filler matches and pieces of the match when they come back to commercial (so instead of seeing one guy get beat up and making a comeback, they just cut back when the guy's making a comeback)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gyshall posted:

Don't worry, everything on Hulu is poo poo anyway. Except The Big Lebowski, which is the only thing I ever watched on Hulu. gently caress Hulu.

They have an exclusive deal with Criterion which is, as the kids in CD would say, p. dope

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ExplodingChef posted:

:words:

As far as watching habits go, we really don't watch local network stuff. Neither of us watch *any* sports at all, so there's no issue not getting games. Primarily premium channel shows, stuff like Walking Dead, Top Chef, etc, and movies.

Am I missing anything here? It seems like we really wouldn't lose much of anything (and there's always iTunes-type delivery if there's something that falls through the cracks) and close to 1/3rd the bill.

Additionally, we've got a 2nd HDTV in what is eventually intended to be the "den" upstairs once we get it set up. Is there a semi-easy way to be able to access content on both tvs short of hauling the console upstairs, etc?

Join Bing Rewards. If you do the searches per day, which usually takes less than 5 minutes, you should have enough points to buy a month of Hulu Plus in 28 days. Get your wife an account and you guys can double team it.

Like sellouts said, Xbone is overkill. You could get a cheap Blu-Ray player and some Fire TVs for around the same price (but you'll have to get the big ones, Fire TV Stick isn't getting the HBO Go app until Spring). Bonus of that is that you can sideload XBMC on both of them and get access to all sorts of cool stuff.

sellouts posted:

Sorry you're getting Internet, basic cable, HBO with HBO go for 40/mo? Aside from showtime what is missing from what you normally watch?

40/mo seems pretty good for basic + Internet + 1 premium channel.

It's a AT&T U-verse promo. https://www.att.com/shop/tv/hbo-offers.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 25, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ExplodingChef posted:

Part of the allure of the Xbone idea is having it for the gaming capability also, plus the all-in-one factor.

So, get the Xbone for one room and some sort of content box (Fire TV/Nexus Player/Roku/whatever) for the other one?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Details on DISH's new service.

quote:

According to a Bloomberg report earlier this year, Dish was said to be preparing to launch an online television service last summer. But, as we now know, nothing ever came from that -- at least not until today. The satellite company has taken to CES 2015 to reveal Sling TV, its long-rumored internet TV service, and it wants all current and would-be cord-cutters to know that this is designed specifically for them. Dish says that Sling TV has been years in the making, pointing out that it was born out of learning from Dish Anywhere and DishWorld, a US-only, internet-based TV package that offers access to about 200 international channels.

"We started with technology on the Dish Anywhere service and building a platform for connected devices," Roger Lynch, who's been appointed by Dish as Sling TV's CEO, said. "Two years ago we decided we wanted to establish an entire separate service." What came from that first was DishWorld and, now, Sling TV, with the former expected to be integrated into the latter under the moniker Sling International. Similar to DishWorld, Sling TV will only be available in the US, where it's expected to launch "within the next month." The good news is that Sling TV has managed to secure a myriad of big-name channels as part of its over-the-top service, including ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Travel Channel, Food Network, ABC Family, HGTV, Disney Channel and Maker -- all of which are going to be part of the basic, $20-per-month package.

Furthermore, Lynch added that at some point in the near future, there will be add-on, content-specific packages, featuring networks like Disney Junior, Disney XD, HLD, DIY, Cooking Channel and Bloomberg -- Sling International channels too, but those are going to be narrowed down by the country they are from. Better yet, you'll be able to enjoy Sling TV on a ton of different devices from day one, including, iOS, Android, Amazon's Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Nexus Player, Xbox One, Rokus, LG and Samsung Smart TVs, as well as on the web on Mac and PC.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/05/sling-tv-announced/?ncid=rss_truncated

More info on the additional packages. $5 a month extra per package.

quote:

Sling TV will also offer additional channels in $5-per-month packages. A “Kids Extra” add-on will include Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, Baby TV and Duck TV. A “News & Info Extra” add-on will consist of HLN, Cooking Channel, DIY, and Bloomberg TV. A “Sports Extra” package is coming soon, and Sling TV will eventually offer premium movie services.

quote:

Sling TV subscribers will need broadband Internet access, obviously, and Sling TV will offer apps for Android and iOS devices, or you can access the upcoming Sling TV website from a Mac or PC. According to the company’s press release, it also expects to offer an app for the most popular streaming boxes, including “Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Google Nexus Player, select LG Smart TVs, Roku players, Roku TV models, select Samsung Smart TVs, and the Xbox One.”

Am Amazon spokesperson provided the following statement:

“We are thrilled that Dish is bringing Sling TV to the Fire TV platform when they launch” said Peter Larsen, Vice President of Amazon Devices. “Sling TV is an innovative streaming service—and for the first time on Fire TV, customers can now watch their favorite live sporting events from channels like ESPN and ESPN2 while also enjoying popular TV shows from channels like TNT, TBS, HGTV and Food Network—all for a low cost of $20 per month.”

Video streams will originate in either 720p or 1080p, depending on the source, but Sling TV will use adaptive bit-rate streaming technology that will optimize video quality “regardless of network quality fluctuations or location.” Subscribers will be able to pause, rewind, and fast-forward live-TV channels as well as video-on-demand content that will be available.

You won’t be able to download or otherwise capture video streams for offline viewing, but the service will include a three-day-replay feature that enables you to watch “some shows that have aired in the past three days.” That qualification is no doubt due to restrictions in the licensing deals Sling TV has signed with its content providers.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 5, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fatal posted:

Do you seriously watch your news via broadcast?

http://www.cnn.com/go/?stream=CNN
http://www.cnbc.com/live-tv/
https://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/

I'm sure the list continues

Fire TV also has a Sky News and CBS News app with free 24/7 HD news streams. I guess that Nexus Player would also have the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Three Olives posted:

So you have bundled some of the most expensive channels on TV that I have absolutely no interest in watching, how is this a better solution to me. Hopefully Sony will announce a better deal tonight.

I'm afraid I've got some BAD NEWS

quote:

Sony’s upcoming Internet-delivered TV service will carry 100 channels and a surprisingly high price tag of as much as $80 a month, The Post has learned.

The Japanese media and electronics giant is set to launch the service before year’s end as a way to goose sales of its Web-connected TV sets during the crucial holiday season. But the price is on par with that of a traditional cable and satellite programming package and is on the high side for a so-called over the top service.

One source told The Post that the price would be around the $80 mark, while a second person said, “We hear its going to be competitive with a traditional basic cable package at between $60 to $65.” Analysts predicted that Sony’s streaming service and another from Dish Network would be designed to appeal to consumers interested in less expensive programming options and would charge closer to $30 a month.

Sony last month revealed a big deal with Viacom to carry 22 of its channels, including MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon. It has also held talks with Fox and Disney.

“They had huge ambitions of breaking up the bundle and being the champion of the consumer, but they’ve had no success in doing that and they’re licking their wounds,” said one source. “They got creamed in negotiations.” It is expected the new Web TV service will be made available over Sony’s PlayStation.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/05/sony-sets-high-price-bar-for-web-tv/