Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Aphrodite posted:

I asked about the Rogers upgrade policy a few weeks ago, and the similarity to Quebec's early termination law.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't the fees be exactly the same (in Quebec)?

(Phone subsidy/36)*Remaining months right?

Correct.

Except if you signed your contract before Jan 26 or so 2012, they calculate the early upgrade fee as $13 (for smartphones) per month remaining on the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Grimarest posted:

I'm a student but member of a professional network and they offer this amazing plan with Telus for 50$/month. It includes iphones :
-250 text messages
-voicemail/caller id
-200 day mins/unlimited ingoing
-evenings & weekends from 6pm.
-6go of data. (holy balls).
-250$ activation bonus. (basically free iphone?)

However I'm an avid texter and I know I will bust that 250 messages limit. They are also offering a similar plan with the same everything but 28$ plan with unlimited texting, 400 mins and no data.

Can I bargain on offers like that for unlimited text messaging for the data plan? I'm kinda bad at haggling :(.

There must be a specific rep or location that offers this plan? If you contact that person you should be able to add on a package to increase the number of text.
That activation bonus awesome, and it sounds like a great plan.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Print up some fake letterhead from a fictional law firm and send it yourself. I doubt they're going to check up on that sort of thing.

From the office of Bob Loblaw, attorney at law.

For content: carriers don't have the ability to stop specific numbers from calling you. Changing your number is easiest, followed by sending calls from offending number directly to VM. These guys are likely based in the USA or overseas, so I doubt they care to much about Canadian laws/ do not call lists / attorneys.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Anyone know whether there are Canadian retailers that carry the Diztronic tpu cases? I have an otterbox on my phone right now and the smooth plastic back is probably going to cause more problems than it protects.

I ordered one for my One X directly from their website. The case was $9.50 I think, plus shipping $2.50. It took less then 4 days to arrive.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

OilSlick posted:

poo poo son, Bell is now offering the $60 fab 10 plan with 6 GB instead of 1 GB. Everything else is the same, offered on any term no contract renewal required. It's offered until August 8th and not available in Manitoba or Saskatchewan because we hate you or something.

Rogers too. $60 for 200 local weekday, unlimited ev/w from 6pm, unlimited text, Canada wide my10 and 6gb data.

As far as I know it's national, and it's available on a monthly, 1, 2, or 3 year term for a limited time.

Pretty good plan, I think.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Binton posted:

Doesnt include call display or voicemail though so you'll have to add about 10 bucks on it if you want those features.. I'm looking at getting that plan as well unless I decide to go with Wind instead, is data roaming with Wind an insane amount of money? I cant really find any rates on their site.

Yea caller ID will always be extra on Rogers. They have a mini voicemail package that's less then $8 that lets you store 3 messages and includes cid.

It's not the cost of data roaming on Wind that pisses me off, it's the fact that you'll be stuck on a brain melting, slow rear end EDGE connection.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

How does LTE work on Rogers, in terms of access/payment? I have the $30/6GB plan. If I put my sim into an LTE-capable device and I'm within range of an LTE tower, will I get LTE speeds, or is this an extra tier of service that they want additional monies for?

As a meta-point: Rogers is incredibly vague about pricing and what's actually available.

It depends on the specific code of the data plan on your account. There have been multiple versions of the 6GB plan. Your plan will likely support LTE if you signed up / switched to it in the last 8 months or so.

You also need an LTE sim card, but you may already have one, since they are backwards compatible.

Initially Rogers would only allow devices with Rogers branded IMEI's access LTE, but this may have changed.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
According to This site only Fido, Rogers, and Telus will unlock iPhones in Canada.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I don't think there's anything special which makes a sim LTE capable.

You need an LTE sim (and LTE device, and LTE plan) in order to access the LTE network. LTE Sims are backwards compatible with 4G/3g/2g.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

OilSlick posted:

It appears to require a brand new line, not upgrading an existing one, based on that MobileSyrup article and the sign at the Rogers in the mall I work at.

Select existing customers are eligible for this offer and have been notified via SMS, but obviously these deals are ment to drive new activations so prolly not many people have been contacted.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Eej posted:

I just got scheduled to work every other week in Courtenay for the next two months. The last time I was there the Best Western's Wifi, while decently fast, disconnected and reconnect me every 20 minutes. All I get is slow Rogers HSPA up there as well. Is there a way to rent out like a Telus 4G key for 2 months or am I just forced to wallow in early 2000s era internet.

Do you know that Telus' HSPA network is faster than Rogers' HSPA in that area? Because unless you have LTE coverage, 4G means HSPA.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Guys,

Bought an old unlocked AT&T iPhone 4 from my friend. I want to use this on Rogers. What, if anything do I need to do other than trim down the SIM card or buy a new SIM card from Rogers?

I suggest purchasing a micro-SIM, it's only $10. iPhone doesn't doesn't allow you to edit APN settings because... just because. You also can't manually edit the voicemail number because... it's an iPhone? Regardless, everything should work fine if it's an iPhone that's been properly unlocked with a proper sim card.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Is that use an online service if it is an iPhone, or isn't? It's not for me, so I can't really do anything myself, just asking for a friend.

If it's not an iphone, you can likely get it done a sketchy mall kiosk or buy a code from ebay and do it yourself. iPhones are a bit different, you should have it done by the carrier, if they support unlocking. According to Apple all the Canadian carriers will unlock iphones, except for Bell, Sasktel and Virgin.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Justaddwater posted:

You can. Just use wifi to get to this site on the iPhone. Sometimes you have to reboot afterwards and make sure wifi is off to test it.

http://unlockit.co.nz/

I've never heard of this before, thanks for the link.

Still, I don't understand why they won't let you edit it yourself in the settings menu.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

So uh, I don't remember ever increasing my data limit from 500MB, but I fired up the Rogers account iPhone app today and it says I have 109mb out of a 2GB quota. Is Rogers in the business of just bumping up quotas these days or what?

I will obviously call to confirm later when I feel like talking to a human being again, but I'm just curious if this could be a fault of the app or what?

No, this doesn't really make any sense. Maybe just a glitch in the app. Are you on a family/sharing plan? Maybe someone else on your account changed your plan?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

The other alternative is that Verizon takes Wind and just falls into line with what the big three are offering here which would be an unmitigated disaster. I don't see that happening since Wind is already established as a somewhat better alternative, but....

Does Verizon use the same frequencies as Wind here? If so they could leverage that as lower roaming rates for their customers in the States.

Marty: did you figure out what happened with Rogers regarding suddenly have more data? Just a glitch in the app/site?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

less than three posted:

Wireless porting is pretty instant. The reason they're asking you to call is that if they process the order immediately, you'd have no service until your phone arrived. (because the activated number would now be on the mobile phone in the mail, leaving your TELUS device useless.)

Yea, but he said someone from Rogers told him to call Telus, which makes no sense.

As less than three said, you have to call Rogers when your phone shows up (it will have a temporary number) and they will do the port-in. They will need your Telus account number, PIN or IMEI.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Only vaguely "cellular" related, but is the well of 416 numbers completely dry, or do they become available from time to time? I imagine it's like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine is trying to get a 212 number.

They become available daily. If you active in the morning you can get a recycled one; when people cancel numbers they go into holding for a period of time (one year?) then they become available again.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

You sort of can, with an iPad plan. I'd be tempted to go that route entirely if I knew an iPad provisioned sim would reliably work in an unlocked iPhone.

It entirely can. Without a voice plan it will be pay-per-use for any voice or text though... and it won't be cheap.

Rogers month to month flex rate data (as of writing) goes for $20 for up too 500mb and $40 for up too 5gb.

cowofwar posted:

I'm on rogers pay as you go and it's massively cheaper for me to buy an iphone straight up and put a $100 card on it (lasts 1 year). I then get the text messaging package which is $3 a month, grab a skype yearly subscription, and grab the $5 for 60mb data (or 1 week) vouchers as needed when I'm away from wireless. Works out to $15 a month for me.

I just do all my long distance calling at home or work where I have wireless, use text messaging for all my usual communication and use pay minutes for the occasional voice call.

Paying four times that much money for the same service is basically flushing money down the drain.

This is a really great idea for people who don't use their phone. I did the same thing in highschool and college (with used dumb phones, no iPhones back then), but post-paid plans will never be like this.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

No one's obliging you to do it. But there's a, I would think, pretty large portion of the cellular-using population who care far, far more about mobile data than mobile voice, and would find the substantial savings attractive.

I mean, hell, the iPad with cellular has already proven itself as a useful device/service combination. Why would you assume a smaller form-factor version of this same package is somehow a bizarre desire?

So you're going to carry around two cell phones, or none at all?

e: to elaborate,

If were planning on ditching a cell number altogether, that won't work because some people don't have data, or won't use whatsapp or facebook, so you have to text these people. You also need to have a phone number, unless you have a homephone. So if you were considering carrying around some voice-only phone, you might as well put that $20-$40 ipad plan towards an iphone plan and get a hardware subsidy and minutes to use.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 10, 2013

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Hell no, I'm not going to walk around with two phones. My ideal setup is probably to walk around with a data-only iPhone, and have a PAYG speakout wireless or equivalent dumbphone that mostly lives at home for the few voice calls that I do make.

The better solution for a low volume voice user is what cowofwar mentioned earlier. You can have an iphone for as little as $100/year on Rogers Pay as You Go if you use mostly evening and weekends calling, minimal text and spend most of your time in wifi.

Obviously you have to acquire a compatible iphone out of pocket.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

BGrifter posted:

If being bound to wifi wasn't a problem an iPod Touch coupled with a flip phone is a better solution. The whole reason I'd consider switching to an iPhone with a data-only plan was for those times when I'm between wifi hotspots.

I don't think it's worth it to carry two phones. I find it difficult to pass up the hardware subsidy when you're considering spending $30-$40 monthly on an tablet sim anyway.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

grack posted:

This is actually incorrect, it depends when the contract was signed. Telus and Fido both currently allow you to cancel a contract by paying off your remaining device subsidy, I'm unsure about the other carriers.

Rogers too. If you signed up after the policy took effect (Jan 26, 2012, iirc) you pay the pro-rated amount of the hardware subsidy you received.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I was on Verizon's site the other day, and as far as I can tell, an iPhone5 with unlimited nation wide talk+text and 2gb is $100/mnth, which seems right in line with the rumored 2 yr pricing we saw leaked from Telus and Bell, and the phone costs more (200 vs 180) upfront. Am I missing something? Other then the two year versus 3 year thing, which is supposedly changing soon, plans in states seem just as expensive as they are here.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Duro posted:

I think I have a discount that might expire (that I was hoping to get them to re-apply on the new contract), so I think that ultimately I technically have a 67$ contract. I'm still willing to pay that much to keep the data and free incoming, but I'd like a discount on the phone as well when I get it. I know that there's no way I'll be paying 125$ for my phone like I did when the iPhone 4 came out, but I'd be ok with paying something like 300$

If my only choice is to pay full price right off the bat, I have no incentive to even get a contract. I might as well just buy the phone straight up and keep what I have now indefinitely

Right now on Rogers in Ontario, you can keep your existing price plan and get full device subsidy when you upgrade if the monthly service fee for voice + data is $60 or greater. That doesn't include discounts, value packs, or other add-ons. Keep in mind that this could change well before the launch of the next iPhone, if they decide they aren't making enough money.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Oh that is just pathetic.

The fact is that all the players use international roaming to increase their ARPU. They have to give their reps something to say to justify locked devices, other then "it's another way we can increase the average monthly spending of our customers."

But the root problem is still a major issue. Even if I'm getting a subsidy on the cost of my device, there's no reason it should be carrier locked.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Who is the current best choice when you already have a device? I'm looking to get away from contracts and get my bill down. Currently I'm with bell and paying around $75 a month.

I am looking for unlimited texting, preferably unlimited evening and weekend calling, and 500-1gb data.

Kodoo is often recommended here, they may have a better plan, and I think they include US/Int. text? But in Ontario Rogers premium "Share everything" plan is $85, but you get $20 off for bringing your own phone. Includes unlimited Canada wide calling, unlimited Canada wide text and 1GB data, but the promo now is giving 2GB data instead.

e: typo.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 12, 2013

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

jot posted:

So I was looking at upgrading to a 5S on Rogers and I noticed the new 2 year plans that I'd have to sign onto to renew. Are they for real? I'm paying $80 a month (WITH taxes) for 200 min, 6GB of data, my10, etc... and with these new plans, it looks like something similar would run over $120?

Am I just reading this wrong, or are they for real? It makes more sense to just buy the drat phone outright and keep what I have.

If your plan is more then $60 then you can keep what you have and resign for 2 years.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Snuffman posted:

I dunno, kinda sounds like how Telus used to be with CDMA phones. It really wouldn't surprise me if carriers start refusing to activate phones that aren't in their database, to encourage you to buy from them.

I mean, they did it before. Technically a Bell CDMA phone would work on Telus but you had to find a dealer willing to activate it. No customer service agent could. From what I recall when I worked in the Data dept, the customer service GUI would flat out refuse to activate an ESN that wasn't Telus.

We know Verizon and some other US CDMA carriers operate on a Whitelist, meaning only carrier branded ESN numbers can be activated on the network. But this is a Blacklist. Meaning your Rogers/bell/telus sim card will work in ANY unlocked or same carrier locked phone, unless that phones IMEI is on the blacklist. This is a specific benefit of GSM technology.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

You have to call them and get them to switch it over to an "LTE Ready" plan, last I checked. Shouldn't cost anything or otherwise impact your account.

Not anymore. All plans (post-paid anyway) will give you LTE now. I've never come across a grandfathered plan that couldn't access LTE, even old BIS and BES plans.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Jan posted:

The first month is prepaid, all other months are postpaid.

This is untrue.

JC posted:

They sort of cover both. They cover the upcoming month of service (your base plan) in addition to any overages / additional charges from the previous month.

This is accurate. On your bill you will notice it says you are being billed for the 30 days AFTER that particular invoice date.

It's like rent.

e: clarity

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 23, 2013

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The new wireless code requires the carrier to unlock the phone on your request if you buy it outright.

I don't think that is true.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm

Based on that site, it says if you buy a device outright, the carrier has to let you unlock it at your request, at the rate (fee) they (the carrier) specify.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Near Quebec? If so, you could pop over the border and get that for $45 from Koodo.

I don't see how this makes any sense. Even if it's possible to get a Quebec specific price plan with an Ontario billing address, you would most certainly need to have a Quebec based number (area code) which means no one in Ontario will want to call you because it's long distance.

In answer to the original question, yes. $60-$70 / month is the going rate to get a smartphone subsidised in Ontario with voice and data on a 2 year term.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I agree it's complicated, but I've heard of people pulling it off. Given the enshrinement of number portability, I don't think they can easily prevent you bringing your [non-Quebec] number along.

My girlfriend will be doing this very manoeuvre this weekend.... I shall be reporting back to the thread on it.

I didn't notice he had an existing Toronto number so I hadn't considered porting, that would get you out of being stuck with an out of province phone number.

You're actually going to Quebec? I'm not sure you're going to be able to get it set up without a Quebec ID / address, but let us know how it goes.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

My local Rogers store said they'll sell the phone straight up no problem, but can't give me the price over the phone.

Any Rogers employees know the off contract price of the Moto X? I think we have a few here don't we? The website says $450 for month to month but I know sometimes even that is discounted.

Any luck with this? I've heard of careless Rogers Plus employees selling phones for the MTM price outright, but it should be $50 more. Dealers probably charge $600 because they have no interest in selling phone outright, as mentioned.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Rogers blanket allows tethering.

On data plans 1GB or more. (As of the last time I looked at the tethering policy.)

Also, on the topic of upgrading your phone with an old 3 year term price plan, Rogers does let you keep your plan and renew for 2 year with full subsidy on any phone on the condition that your plan (MSF on a term, not counting valuepacks, discounts etc.) is equal to or greater then $60. despite the fact that new customers must reach a MSF of at least $70 to get subsidy on any phone (ie iPhones)

I assume Bell, Telus, and their subsidiaries would have a similar policy, but I could be very wrong about carriers other then Rogers.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

OilSlick posted:

I can confirm Bell does not have that policy. If you are switching from a 3 year to a 2 year, you have to change your plan to something that's in market. Period.

That really sucks for Bell customers. They must have a lot of people porting their numbers out because of it. And I can't believe Rogers has a proactive policy which favors the customer. I got to keep my 6GB, 200 local mins plan because it's exactly $60 + $7 for call ID.

It is nice the 2 year plans have unlimited nationwide voice and text, but that and only 2gb of data for $85 is too much imo.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Looks like Amazon.com has it from a seller. I'm not sure what they charge for shipping to Canada though.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

They also want him to pay $25 to get one of these phones for "free":
- HTC Desire
- Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
- Galaxy Ace II X

I have a Nexus 5 personally but my dad won't let me buy him one. Which would be a good phone for him? His only specification was that it be black :smith:

He basically just likes to look at websites on his current crap phone (a Nokia thing with a keyboard).

Thanks for your help goons.

Based on his (Silly) requirement, the Desire is out because it only comes in Red and White colors, and the S3Mini is Blue. The Ace 2 X is the worst phone of the three, but it does come in Black. That said, those phones are fairly similar, entry level models. Probably S3 Mini is the best, despite its blueness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

DarkJC posted:

So that's $300 on top of the $199 or whatever you have to pay for the subsidized price of the phone?

edit: vvvv Wow, what a ripoff.

It should be noted that subscribers of the "Next" program get the subsidized price of the phone ($199 in your example) waived, up to $250. But yes, you do have to trade in the old phone.

$300 is clearly lower then $699, but there are other factors too, like what if the old phone is not in tradable condition? Or you don't want to trade it in? What if there's not a phone you want to buy in exactly one year? or what if that phone is more then $250?