Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

OilSlick posted:

Nope, like I said in an earlier post, they find ways to compete beyond pricing. They may be bullshit reasons, but that's how they think. I went to a head office meeting last month where they pretty much reinforced that reasoning. Basically they showed how all 3 carriers were the same price, but one had more features/towers than the other, so why not go with the one who has the most? In fact, is that not worth a couple more dollars?

Again, I know this doesn't line up with how normal consumers think, but that's how their logic works.

I don't think that's how their logic works. I think the way their logic works is that the best way to generate more revenue is to increase prices. The talking points are just marketing. They love to tell us (front line sales / support) how to "position" price increases to customers; bullshit lines like "To keep plans competitive."

I will concede that coverage is not an issue at all with anyone here in Southern Ontario except the wind / mobilicties, but we all know that they are making money hand over fist. The marginal cost of putting up a few more towers - relatively - doesn't justify a $3 or $5 price increase across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

If Telus is offering the phone for $200 with no term, does that mean that they are not subsidizing it in any way? If so, do we know if Telus will sell a phone outright without signing up for a new plan, even one with no term?

The "No term" price is typically for new month to month activations. You could probably sign up and cancel the cheapest plan, but after Connection Fee, at least 30 days of service fees and your time and effort, it's probably just easier to pay the outright price which is typically $50 higher then the no term price.

You just have to find a store that's willing to sell outright; policies will very from location to location. Call or visit your nearest corporate, dealer and/or bestbuy/futureshop type stores until you score. A couple years ago I bought a Telus phone outright from BestBuy, the reps there had no issue doing that.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Can I go to a Rogers store and buy a SIM without activating it?

Yes.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

ante posted:

You don't need any special cutting tools for SIM cards. Just print out a template, then scissors or a knife.

I don't think you can cut a regular or micro down to a nano though, the nano sims are thinner I think.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
The reason I say that is because we get simcards 30 or 60 at a time. A stack of 30 regular and micro sims are exactly the same height, but 30 nano sims are a bit shorter. They may still fit, but I wouldn't try it in my own $800 phone.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Switching jobs and my company phone is going bye-bye. If I sign a new contract somewhere, are 416 numbers still hard to come by, or do I just have to ask for one? I don't really care about the deluge of collection calls or whatever.

Try in the morning. Before 11am gives you the best chances.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

FYI, nexus 6 is on (and quickly off) Canadian Google Play now. I somehow managed to grab a 32 gig blue one in the 30 second or so window.

How much was it?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
If you guys have a select smartphone on Rogers (off the top of my head, Samsung S3 and newer, HTC One or M8, LG Optimus G and newer, BB Z10, excludes iPhone, excludes windows phone) with a data plan and a Suretap NFC simcard (you'll know because it says SureTap on it) you can get a free $100 prepaid mastercard just for registering on the Suretap Wallet app.

I know what your thinking, "there must be some sort of crazy conditions!" because that's what I was thinking, but now I have a $100 credit that I'm about to liquidate into two $50 LCBO giftcards (afaik they have a $50 limit on tap purchases.)

All I did was launch the app, it needed an update from the playstore, and sign up for the Rogers Prepaid Mastercard. Less then 10 minutes later I had a $100 balance.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

Do Rogers Share Everything plans include Visual Voicemail for iPhone? I get 25% off on SE plans and I'm trying to put together something reasonably close to my current 6GB plan so I can get a hardware upgrade. Alternately, will retentions let me renew my current plan as a 2-year contract?

I don't think they do.

Generally, SE plans just have basic voicemail. Visual VM is included in a valuepack for $5/mnth that also has some other stuff you likely don't want or need, like US/International text.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm not sure why you care so much anyway. If you got away without one then hooray you're special but its not the norm, in fact its their policy to check every new monthly customer.

Sheesh!

Because he makes long winded arguments about everything, and will stand behind his point, even if evidence is presented to the contrary.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I don't really care about minor software updates but it's a little concerning that I still haven't received a 6.0 update on my Nexus 6 (Google store bought, Rogers carrier) like 20 days later. Does Rogers control this?

Back when I had a Nexus S from Rogers I was able to download the updates on my PC and install them on the phone manually. I can't remember exactly how, but I'm sure a quick internet search will turn up some directions.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

mediaphage posted:

the right answer is Shrobelus,

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Sober posted:

I'm on Mobilicity/got switched onto Rogers. I'm getting 3G/HSPA+ on my Galaxy Nexus. Pretty sure that phone still supports Rogers' 3G bands from what I checked.

My Network says CAN Rogers Wireless Inc. and said CDN Roaming for a while during the transition (but not actual Roaming roaming). Is that different from being on their main network?

Sounds like you are on Rogers HSPA+ network. Galaxy Nexus is a pentaband phone, so it supports it, but iirc it isn't LTE capable. I don't know if Mobility customers would have access to Rogers LTE network, but I'm thinking not?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Tank44 posted:

Any insight on how to unlock a Rogers phone? Have a spare one that I'd like to use with AT&T until I can get a new phone in 8 months.

If it's not an iPhone, you can buy an unlock code off eBay for most models for like $5.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Godinster posted:

lol Bell is increasing its legacy 6GB plan by $10/month

I guess data got more expensive to provide since the last time they offered it, around the time when the iPhone 3GS was out

My Rogers 6gb plan (200 local mins, unlimited SMS/MMS, my10) went from $60 to $65 on my most recent invoice. The Value Pack that goes with it (Call display, VM and VM to text) has also gone from $12 to $14 to $16 since I signed onto that plan in.... I wanna say 2012, maybe 2013. In my favor, they did drop the "government regulatory" fee at some point, which was $2.35 at the beginning.

My HTC One M7 is getting a bit tired, but I can't decide on any phone to buy unsubsidized to replace it.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

odiv posted:

I just got the OnePlus 3 (originally wanted an Xperia Z5 Compact, but that's getting a bit dated and it doesn't look like there's a good small replacement) and it's pretty sweet so far. I can report back after a week or two if you want.

I was looking for something under $400 CAD, but sure! Let us know how it goes.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Godinster posted:

I don't think you can. I'm pretty sure once you port the numbers over, the plans are lost.

This is my understanding, as well.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

waxluthor posted:

I was on month-to-month post-pay though. Was my monthly bill actually extra usage from previous month plus next month's services?

Yes, it was.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Millow posted:

I bought a refurbed Verizon Galaxy S5 off of amazon.ca, those fuckers lied to me and said it would come unlocked (it didn't), I brought it to a local cellphone store and they said they couldn't get it unlocked, but they actually like half unlocked it... I can text and call but no data. Does anyone know if its possible for me to get data on this phone (I'm with Bell) and how to do it?

Does it have APN settings set up? If you go into Settings > Mobile Networks > APN, you should be able to add it in.

Google says you should add the following for the APN: pda.bell.ca

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/How_to_configure_my_Google_Nexus_One_for_the_Bell_Mobility_HSPA_network

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Millow posted:

I did this already, doesn't work.

According to this page: http://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy Verizon doesn't SIM lock devices.

The next thing I would consider is: what 3.5G/4G/LTE bands does that S5 version support, and are those the ones Bell uses?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Good Canadian Boy posted:

I was going to do public mobile, but the sim card I ordered never showed up in the mail. So instead I went on this corporate telus plan that was being offered through my work and I got a google pixel xl for $50 and my plan is under $70 a month for 4 gigs data and unlimited everything. Not quite the public mobile deal, but I really appreciate getting a google pixel for so cheap.

That's a great deal, by 2016 Canadian Telecom standards. If it's a 2 yr term, getting an $800 subsidy is like $33 off per month for two years.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Yes. You have to have an appropriate number to do that. Some cs agents might give you poo poo about an address too but just hang up and call again to get a different agent.

Switch to a qc number, wait for the cycle, change plan, then call and ask for your old number back.

Have you done this? I don't think that can be done.

E: to be clear, afaik, when you do a number change the old number goes into TN purgatory for like a year until it gets recycled. You can't just "ask for it back."

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 16, 2016

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Uber is run by a insane Libertarian fuckwad who's current goal is to litigate and use cheap "Contractor" slave labor to drive everyone else out of business to create a monopoly. Once they reach this point they will switch to self-driving cars and employ nobody as well.

Furthermore, since the drivers aren't employees of Uber, if something happens in the car - death, dismemberment, etc- Uber may not be liable in a court, leaving you to sue only the driver who probably has no money anyway, instead of the multinational company that generates millions of dollars of revenue.

The cars are also not insured as taxis, so good luck getting anything from the insurance company.

NB: I am not a lawyer.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

ColonelMoutard posted:

telus has a pretty good promo going on now: 1gb for 10/month for tablets. Does anyone know if you can pop the sim in to a smartphone and use that tablet plan? no sms/or voice obviously

Yes, you should be able to. The voice and sms will probably work too, but without a monthly plan they will bill you an exorbitant pay-per-use fee for each call/text/MMS.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

This is now available for all Koodo customers, not just new activations. You will need to speak to 'support' / 'retentions' to get it. The promo supposed to last until the 19th, but Koodo is seeing huge numbers of signups from it so they may end it early. The offer is month to month, and does not require a contract.

The other carriers have matched it or are going to match it in the next day or two, though most require a 2 year contract.

If this is a BYOD promotion, keep in mind that you can't have a contact -or more specifically Early Cancellation Fees- if you don't get a hardware subsidy, as per CRTC regulations.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Transferred between 3 different departments during that time too fyi.

As much as I dislike our telecoms, I'm going to have to side with Bell on this one. Nowhere do they advertise the plan as being sharable.
What your asking them to do sounds like it is out of the scope of this promotion. This type of offer is generally a specific plan for single lines, and making it sharable is probably prohibited in the Eligibility and Requirements of the offer, as well as in the back end software they are using.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

I also said I would be willing to keep the exact same features I have on my current plan. 33gb shared, unlimited calling texting, but they reduce my bill to the $300 I would be paying if I switched all lines over to $60 per.

They can't do it... because???? Why?

Don't get sucked into telecom double speak, there is no reason we all couldn't stand up for this poo poo and tie up their departments. We just accept it because "it doesn't work in the back end software, the system, the computer"

They put out a promotion, if you like the offer, they are letting you switch to it. I don't believe you should be able to tell a private company how to structure their pricing.
You can't just go into McDonald's and say "I want a big Mac, hold the lettuce. And that lettuce cost you 8 cents, so I want you to reduce the cost by $.08.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

dog do you work for a telecom or a re seller or something?

I thought I explained it quite clearly so I'm not sure why you pull out a mcdonalds analogy like it has any relevance.

I'm not trying to argue I honestly want to know.

I used to, but that doesn't make me want to defend them. If you want to negotiate with them, go ahead. I just don't think any company should be required to deliver products or services at prices lower then (or more then) advertised.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

large hands posted:

So is the "data bonus" Rogers is offering just a one shot deal or is it actually 10Gbs/month for $60.

Just wondering if I should give up my grandfathered 6Gb/$60 Rogers plan, with the extra charge for voicemail and taxes it winds up around $80/month usually.

Based on reading the promotion on Rogers' site, it's a 5gb plan, with a bonus 5gb tagged on for the first 24 months.

I am also on 6gb/$60 with call ID/ visual VM add-on ($8 I think) and an add on to make the 200 mins Canada - wide ($15).

I'm not sure if I should just switch, and live with the fact that I'll be down to 5GB after 2 years, or if I should go to Koodo or Telus, which I understand are offering 10gb as long as you keep the plan.

Coverage with Rogers has always been really good for me. I travel a lot for work, and need to use my phone in the sticks a lot, in areas including the Muskokas, grey Bruce area, and everything in-between. I occasionally lose signal on Rogers, but it's pretty rare, considering how remote the areas I am in sometimes.

The $25/month savings are pretty significant, so I gotta do one or the other. Anyone have experience with the Kodoo / Telus network in rural areas in Ontario?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

I went as far as about parry sound and Bancroft surrounding areas with both Telus and Rogers phones, reception is very similar in populated areas. Once you’re in the boonies it depends on where the towers are. Sometimes full connections would time out or requests would take a while but that is just how it is. If you are in specific locations you can ask people you work with or alongside about coverage as it’s hard to say.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I go to different properties everyday, so I can't inquire about any place specific. I was just wondering if there was any large swaths of land where Telus network couldn't get coverage, but Rogers could. Sounds like it's about the same, so that's good.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Is anyone else getting "@" signs inserted after the last character of SMS messages they receive?

The sender doesn't see them at the end of outgoing messages, but they have reported having them at the end of messages they receive from me, and I similarly don't see them at the end of the messages I'm sending.

Edit: We are on Fido and Rogers, so I guess this might be an issue exclusive to that network.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 13, 2019

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

10GB Infinite/unlimited

Is it 10gb or unlimited? :what:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Cell Phone Man just makes me think of this :

https://youtu.be/AZceNJ7DkwQ

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

lmao so Bell dropped my monthly mobility bill by $20 per month and increased my data from 500Meg to 5Gig. Today was the day of plan change and instead they appear to have made it impossible to connect to wireless data FML

Their customer service folks are a dumb as a bag of hammers

Make sure you restart your phone after plan changes on the "server side".

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
No, but I know restart is required after certain account changes.

Did you get it sorted out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Mercifully, service has been restored for me.