Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Get ready for monthly plan hikes from the Big Three to cover damages and lawyer fees regulatory changes!

The companies that dropped the fee (*cough* Telus *cough*) just removed caller ID from all their packages and started charging 7 bucks for it (see thread's title).

The fee hasn't really "gone" anywhere, they just repositioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm moving to Saskatoon at the end of the month, and I'm wondering how Telus's coverage in Saskatchewan in general is.

When I worked for Telus, they only provided CDMA in Saskatoon and Regina and analog everywhere else. Well, analog is gone now and the coverage map implies HSPA is available all over Saskatchewan.

How is the coverage really? I know they fluff it up on their site just to make it look better. I'd like to not leave Telus as I'm on contract and don't want to deal with the hassle beyond changing my phone number.

For the record, I have an iPhone 4, and my new job will take me all over Saskatchewan. Just how screwed am I? Is there anything weird like data doesn't work outside of major city centres, even though the coverage allows it? Should I be looking at switching to Sasktel?

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 6, 2012

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Are cell repeaters directional? I have a friend who lives in an area near the border where the AT&T signal is stronger than Bell's, so he often gets switched over to roaming.

Would a repeater help at all?

Where does he live?

I don't know about Bell, but I know Telus declared certain areas "Border" zones. In a "Border Zone" you wouldn't get charged voice if you roamed onto a US carrier (AT&T) tower.

I lived in White Rock, which is 15 minutes from the US border, so this happened all the time. All I had to do was make sure data roaming was off as data wasn't covered.

White Rock and Abbotsford in BC are one border zone, Windsor ON is the other. Perhaps Bell has this agreement too as they're very similar Telus network wise?

I'm sure you can get directional repeaters, but an omni-directional should be good enough. You just need a stronger signal than the foreign carrier.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Telus iPhone 5S question:

I currently have a iPhone4 that I'm pretty ok with but I was looking at maybe upgrading to a 5S.

I have 1 year left on my contract, so if I want to renew on contract I obviously have to pay my device fee. Here's the thing, if I renew, can I keep my rate plan? The new Telus rate plans are rubbish compared to what I have now. The website renewal implies that I would need to get a new rate plan.

Alternatively, can I buy the 5S outright? The Telus site implies I certainly couldn't do it from their webstore as there's no option to do so. Could I buy it outright in a physical Telus store or do I have to go through Apple?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I dunno, kinda sounds like how Telus used to be with CDMA phones. It really wouldn't surprise me if carriers start refusing to activate phones that aren't in their database, to encourage you to buy from them.

I mean, they did it before. Technically a Bell CDMA phone would work on Telus but you had to find a dealer willing to activate it. No customer service agent could. From what I recall when I worked in the Data dept, the customer service GUI would flat out refuse to activate an ESN that wasn't Telus.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ante posted:

Have they said what the cause was, or is that never going to see the light of day?

According to MobileSyrup, it was an "unprecedented surge in signaling traffic".

Kind of suspicious. Then again, a surge could mean that some hardware went down and other hardware had to take over which wasn't prepared for the load.

I have to it admit, it was annoying as my work Blackberry is on Rogers.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

OilSlick posted:

I had a customer yesterday who had a Thunder Bay regional plan (it had "TBay" in the name) which was (albeit on the 3 year term) 6 GB of data with unlimited nationwide calling, international texting, CD/VM with Bell for $60. That's some crazy poo poo.

I have an identical plan with Telus, but I live in Saskatchewan (downside: I live in Saskatchewan). Who'd have thought that when the carriers have to actually compete, it works out for the consumer! :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

acetcx posted:

Yeah, I've been getting those every week or two for the last few months. I called Rogers and they said it was probably due to caller ID spoofing by telemarketers. They offered to give me a new phone number (thanks I guess???).

The calls always go missed before the first ring finishes but I'm pretty sure my number is getting spoofed too because sometimes people call me back like "WHY DID YOU CALL ME???". They always have the same area code and first three digits too. I've stopped answering those calls and I hope it doesn't get any worse.

Ohhh...well good to know it isn't just me. Annoying thing is, its my work number that's getting these calls and its goddamn irritating.

Suddenly the weird call I got last week where they called me and asked why I called them, and I was like"...what? I was driving. My phone was in my pocket." makes a lot of sense.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I got this T-Up reminder from Telus and I have to say...its kinda tempting?

The deal was, when I got my 5S, if I got Applecare+ (eh why not, I'm clumsy?) a year later I could trade in my phone to abolish my owed phone fee and get an iPhone 6.

Temptingly enough, if I wait till Nov 1st, they'll let me get a 128GB iPhone 6 for the price of a 64GB. Yeah, I have to renew my contract, but I live in Saskatchewan and I checked, the only thing that changes in my plan would be the name. The price and features stay identical.

Am I dumb to not take this up? On the one hand I can probably wait till the 6S, its not like iOS8 nuked my 5S like iOS7 did to my iPhone 4. On the other hand...128GB iPhone...I love the idea of having my entire music collection with me and I drive a lot for work.

My 5S is in almost pristine condition with a small, barely visible, scratch on the bottom right. 375 would be the discounted cost of the 6.

Good deal or no?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So here's a question.

I have a wonderful Saskatchewan rate plan with Telus.

I'm very likely moving to BC soon, and good GOD the rate plans everywhere else are awful. I'm looking at 60-70 dollars more just to keep what I have, which is absurd.

If and when I move, can I just change my number and keep my rate plan? Assuming I do it myself through self service? Or is this something the system is going to catch and force me to lose my awesome cell plan?

I'm positive this is something they'll catch if I try to upgrade to a iPhone 6S later this year.

EDIT: Should mention, no trickery was involved to get the rate plan. I live in Saskatchewan. I'm more concerned with trickery to keep the rate plan.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 24, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Godinster posted:

Guess they finally clued in that people are just exploiting the SK/MB plans if they get hosed or forced into the new plans. I wasn't aware they were even subsidizing devices on anything less than $80/mo outside of those two provinces much less issuing old plans through loyalty.

Progress!... Sort of.

Speaking of exploiting the SK/MB plans...

I've asked before in this thread, and also did some research on Howards Forum. The Howards Forum thread is a bit of a nightmare, and from what I can tell is people NOT from SK/MB trying to exploit the plans (no problem with that, IMO).

I'm already in SK, however.

I'm with Telus, and from what I can tell, they're totally going to catch my SK plan when I try to change my number to a BC number. The online tool won't let me select anything out of province and I have to call them. I know the Telus system, I used to work for them. There's no working around it, the system will force a rate plan change when the number change is initiated.

Koodo has an even cheaper plan, and I know they're technically Telus so porting and phone compatibility isn't an issue.

Will the Koodo self-service system allow me to change my number to another province without triggering a rate plan change? Or do I have to go to a kiosk when I'm back in BC and hope the attendant has no scruples?

I suppose I could just keep my SK number, I have unlimited national calling, but it's going to look rather odd when I'm applying for jobs in BC with a Saskatchewan number. Also, my friends aren't as lucky to have national calling, so I don't want them calling long distance to reach me.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I know I've posted about this before but I just want to confirm...

I'm moving back to BC from Saskatchewan and I'd love to keep a cheap, reasonably priced, rate plan.

My game plan is thus:

1. Go to Best Buy, activate a Kodoo account on the $48 (!!!) rate plan, just get the sim card (will they let me just activate an account there and take the sim card?)

There should be no problem activating the account as I live in Saskatchewan at the moment and all my ID is still for Saskatchewan.

2. Set up online Kodoo account.

3. Call Telus, get them to change my number to a BC number (can't do this online), get forced onto cheapest awful BC rate plan.

4. Go online to Kodoo, port my number from Telus to Kodoo.

5. Pop SIM card from Kodoo into iPhone and now I'm rolling with a BC number and a dirt cheap but good rate plan.

Any reason why this won't work? I'll pay a fair amount with Telus with all the rate plan swapping, but save big in the long run. My contract is up, so I guess I'd also need to get my iPhone 5S unlocked too?

Most importantly, does the Kodoo number porting loophole still work?

Related question, and I know this is highly unlikely, is there any chance Telus Loyalty and Retention will give me the cheap rate plan if I call them and tell them I'm thinking of leaving? Or would they just go "oh, he's moving to Kodoo, we get his money regardless" and tell me to suck eggs? Is there any harm in calling Telus and asking them this?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Thanks for the responses! :)

I'll get my phone unlocked and set this plan in motion tomorrow.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have piss poor coverage at my house, and there's nothing I can do about it due to the lay of the land and trees.

Wifi calling seems like a solution, but Telus doesn't have it. Well, they do, but its an awful in-house (3rd party perhaps?) app that's apparently still in beta AND invite only.

Time to jump ship.

Looks like Bell and Rogers have Wifi calling enabled.

Can anyone on Fido comment? I assume I don't need to pay extra, I just need to flip the option on under settings.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

gmcsonoma posted:

Fido user here, iPhone wifi calling has been amazing since they started supporting it late last year. My house is surrounded by large trees and it makes quite a difference.

Thanks. :)

In related news, I called Telus and they let me into the Wifi calling "beta".

The app seems to work alright, so I'll stick with them for now (really didn't want to lose my SK plan).

Still baffled as to why they cant just use the native WiFi calling like the rest of the world but this is Telus after all. If there's one thing Telus loves, its proprietary apps. They usually give in, so I'm sure native iOS Wifi calling is coming.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

codo27 posted:

Anyone know anything about cell boosters? I can get signal in my bedroom window so I have to use speakerphone or a bluetooth headset to talk to anyone and texting is so inconvenient. Looking at some on amazon for ~$150 or less and wondering if it would be worth it. 1700mhz band for Koodo/telus right?

Semi-related long-shot, but do you have a iPhone 6 or newer? Telus supports iOS native Wifi calling now, but you have to turn it on. Fixed all my cell-dead-zone @ home problems.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

codo27 posted:

Seem to be finding so much conflicting info on what band Telus uses. I need to know so I can order a booster for our potential new house cause we ain't getting dinosaur landlines. Cellmapper is showing a 1900mhz tower south of me but then a few 700mhz ones to the northeast.

What kind of phones do you have? I know on the iPhones you can get wifi-calling now, which has helped me greatly with my cellphone-dead-zone of a house.

EDIT: My cell is with Telus.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is Telus offering this deal too?

I'm on an SK plan (that they were nice enough to let me keep when I moved to BC) but I'd save 5 bucks and get more data...I'm hemming and hawing over enduring calling Telus about this...

EDIT: Definitely can't self-serve it. :(

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 19, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

That whiteout site (great site, btw) has made me question my "wonderful" Sask plan that I held onto when I moved back.

I currently pay (with tax) 72.80 for unlimited cross-Canada calling, unlimited text and 5 GB of data. I have an iPhone SE that's still trucking along that I may replace the battery on rather that get a new phone.

I'm looking at Koodo and I have a few questions:

1. How hard is it to port from Telus to Kodoo? They're the same carrier (except in name...). Are there "key" features I can't get on Kodoo? Which leads to...

2. Wifi-calling. I need this as the coverage in my area is awful thanks to wonderful trees (plz no hurt trees) and US carriers.

3. I'm toying with getting a cellular Apple Watch for work (I kinda want one, everyone else in IT has a smart watch, it looks more professional than checking your phone), can I get a data add-on on Kodoo easily?

I'll buy the watch outright, I don't believe in paying off phones.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

I've probably told it here before, but when I was selling phones out of a Telus corporate store in uni some guy came in with a big phone bill. He was given one of those unlimited data for the first 3 months of his contract but the csa that set him up forgot to check the promo box or something. Anyway, he used it for tethering after moving and was being charged like 3.99/mb or something standard for the time (c. 2006-7 IIRC). His bill was 85k. We all had a good laugh and patched him through to customer services who told him, "just pay it and we'll give you a bill credit!" Took him and us like 2 hours to get to a sufficiently empowered retention csa to wipe the bill.

I saw so many of these when I worked in a Telus call centre back when smart phones were so special they warranted their own department.

They were really quite common, usually oil sand workers tethering so they could play WoW or pirate mp3s.

Then again, back then the biggest data plan was only 250 Megabytes, so it was extremely easy to go over.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

Telus / Bell / Rogers do it on purpose so you pay more expensive plans thru the main brands for more features.

See wifi calling.

There’s no reason any of the mvno’s couldn’t offer Apple Watch support or wifi calling.

I get Wifi-calling on Koodo. I wouldn't have switched from Telus otherwise, its the only way I get coverage at home.

I imagine the cellular iPad/Apple Watch stuff will trickle down eventually. Some new fancy 5G-only feature has to come along at some point, right?

All that said, I'd love to get a cellular Apple Watch but I'm not willing to pay 70 dollars more a month for it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Its cool and good that Koodo just said "hey, we're adding a 5.00 service fee to your bill and now you have to pay it".

What is this 5.00 service? I dunno...something something continued cellular coverage or something... :shrug:''

EDIT: Oh cool, Public Mobile has a plan that matches my Koodo plan precisely but 10 bucks less. Does Public have Wifi calling? Is it worth me attempting to yell at a Koodo rep to remove the service fee? I pay 50 bucks now, but I'm cheap and don't want to pay more.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 26, 2023

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

mewse posted:

Is this going to happen to everyone? I don't have a service fee on my most recent koodo bill.

I looked into it and found a bunch of people complaining back in January. I’m trying to recall when I joined Koodo but I think I’m coming up on my year and a half mark.

I’m guessing they’re slow rolling it out to anyone not on the tab and under ARPU (it’s telling that the cheapest “plan” is 5 dollars more than what I currently pay and offers less).

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Koodo just pushed me new offers on the self serve portal.

I pay 50 now for 40GB w/Rollover data.

They're offering me 45 for 80GB 5G w/Rollover data.

So much more data than I'll ever need! So tempting! But something better might come along!

Is it true that Public Mobile lacks Wifi calling? That's the only thing stopping me on biting on their deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

What is wifi calling? Isn't it the same thing as making a call through whatsapp/discord/whatever?

When the phone's signal is poor enough, the phone automatically can fall over to your local wifi for making and receiving calls. You have to flag an address for E911 purposes, so you can't just run around using wifi calling everywhere.

I have really really poor cell service where I live. In the back yard I get Canadian towers, in the driveway I'm roaming in the US and throughout most of the house I have a single bar. Wifi calling is a Godsend.

On the iPhone, at least, the whole wifi calling process is almost invisible.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 25, 2023