Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jibo posted:

They've expanded on the Orochi series exclusive characters so much that I feel like they could flesh out a game just about them.

I would be totally down for a Mystic Warriors game or whatever, especially if they expanded the roster to start including western mythological figures.

You could have King Arthur, Merlin, and Morgan Le Fay. Maybe some Thor, Loki and Odin. Hercules would probably be a shoo-in if they went for Greek Mythology. I actually had a weird thought along these lines a couple days ago while playing WO3, what if, in an attempt to appeal to American audiences they started including American folk heroes? Paul Bunyan, John Henry and Pecos Bill (with a special mountain lion mount).

God could you imagine? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm the only one who liked the story mode in Ken's Rage.

It probably helped that I've only read a little bit from the beginning so most of it was new material for me.

Also, screw you guys for getting Pirate Warriors before me! :arghfist::saddowns: I have to wait until Tuesday, same day as when my classes start.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with the Chracters being rather slow, making levels something of a slog.

Honestly, I lost patience with Ken's Rage when I ended up screwing myself out of a lot of vital upgrades via the Sphere Grid system. The PW Coin system works SO much better.

I'm not sure what you mean by "screwing yourself out of upgrades" since I'm pretty sure you're never locked out of anything. It's just a matter of building up enough experience to get what you want.

What I think I really liked about the Story Mode in Ken's Rage was that it was basically a classic beat 'em up with a Dynasty Warriors engine. I was such a huge sucker for that genre back on the SNES and Genesis, so seeing it in a more modern fashion was a huge treat for me.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

How much is One Piece? I need to know what kind of PSN cash card to get.

$50, not a bad price as far as I'm concerned (since I'm such a Koei Warriors whore.)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I know they've had a Bowser skin on one of their characters since forever ago, I think if anyone was gonna sue it'd be Nintendo so...

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
God, I don't know if it's Sony or my ISP or just my own impatience but this download is taking so looooooong :negative:

Hurry up dammit, I need to conquer China with Hi Mon and Shi Ra :black101:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

-Dethstryk- posted:

How are you supposed to do the sworn sibling/marriage stuff? I have a stack of dudes that I have an S relationship with, but I can't find any options to do cool things with them.

Zhang Liao had some dramatic cut scene before a battle with me about how he wanted to fight with me until he died and I assumed something triggered, but that guy only had a D relationship with me when I checked afterward.

Choose the "Interact" option with a character you have an S rank with, afterwards it will ask if you want to make them your sworn brother or marry them if you're opposite gender.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

-Dethstryk- posted:

Oh, thanks. That should have been obvious, but I never picked it because all it mentioned was raising your relationship.

Yeah, it's not terribly intuitive and I figured it just by wasting months putzing around with the various options.

This game can be really awesome if you're using strategems properly, yesterday I got into a battle where Lu Bu and like 4 other officers were charging up the middle of the map decimating my guys, so I swung around a side route and made a bunch of quick captures until I got to the camp right outside the enemy's main base and the only place that was connected to their base. I used Base Fire to go for a quick capture, which cut off their entire supply chain and turned the whole map a nice blue color. Then I dropped an ambush on the camp, and waited Lu Bu and his pals to come waltzing in, and once they did I used Dragnet and captured almost all of them, including Lu Bu. Zhuge Who? :smug:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Having a prefect defend a territory makes it so that any attackers will lose troops for every turn that you don't go into a defensive battle. The prefect themselves will also lose troops but having one officer lose 2000 troops to inflict 2000 troop damage on 7-8 enemy officers seems like a pretty awesome trade off to me.

Most of the time it seems like the attackers will call off their invasion on the third turn because they don't have enough troops, and then they're wide open for you to invade them because they've taken so much damage in their attack while most of your officers are probably fresh. Same goes for if they don't call it off, to turns of fighting with the prefect will have lowered their troop count enough for an easy win on your part.

I know that being a marshal or strategist gives you special advantages, but I don't know what those do if you're playing the ruler.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
After browsing through some CAWs on the download list, I went back to Edit Mode and changed my main dude out of his black wolf shirt, should have known that'd be overplayed :sigh:

While I'm at it, I have to say that I felt terribly disappointed that the wolf shirt did not look like this:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

PureRok posted:

The game runs fine on max settings. It seems to be locked at a max of 60fps during gameplay, 30fps during cutscenes. I recorded a video that I'll try to get rendered and uploaded today so people can see. It has a tutorial and Shu 1 (YTR).

I haven't run into any bugs or problems starting more than one level.

Glad to hear it, I'm in the middle of downloading it right now (only ten hours to go :suicide:) and got worried when I saw that Jim Sterling tweet.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Here's something that I read on the Steam forums that seems to work for me:

1. Set compatibility to Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
2. Set Priority to High
3. Set Affinity to only 1 core

2 & 3 need to be done in the Task Manager, under the Details tab. Look for Launch.exe and right click to change the Priority and Affinity options. Unfortunately I don't know how to make these changes permanent and I have to do 2 & 3 every time I load up the game, but I haven't run into any problems or slowdown since I started doing this.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Nemo2342 posted:

I did this, except for step 1 and it worked for me and I didn't really notice too much of a performance hit (running Windows 8 myself).

Yeah, I wasn't too sure on how necessary that part was but I included it just in case.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So what exactly is the benefit of assigning supervisors to my facilities? I've gotten materials from the farm supervisor once, and I know that assigning someone to the training facility gets them experience, but I've never seen any benefits from anybody else.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Vitamins posted:

I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones that this game is unplayable for.

Bought it earlier today and it'll get to the main menus but whenever I try to start a game it gets stuck on an endless black screen. Can't play any of the story mode or tutorials, and no ambition mode either, all go straight to a black screen. I've tried every fix I can find on the internet, and running in compatibility mode gave me one fully loaded game which then proceeded to black screen and hasn't worked since.

Have you tried changing the affinity to 1 core? Set the game to high priority? While the game is running, open up Task Manager and go to the details tab, find Launch.exe, and right click. The priority and affinity options should be in there.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

It is REALLY inconsistent. I just got to Consecutive Battle #76 in Ambition mode and then, when i clicked next battle...

Black screen, crash. :tizzy:

Save after EVERY fight, even with the fix I save obsessively just because I'm so paranoid about losing my progress.

gschmidl posted:

I'll quote myself here to make your life, hopefully, easier:

(put the command all in one line)

This works, by the way. I just have to do it manually 90% of the time because I launch games through Steam out of habit. :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

The only thing I really want out of weapons in this game is a way to filter by element. I'm getting tired of sifting through hundreds of weapons just to find three more points of Velocity. :saddowns:

You can, in fact, do this. You have to go into the "list all" section, then there should be a "sort by" option, which has a few pages of options on how to sort, some of which are elements.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I thought he looked very silly running around the battlefield with two swords, so I'm surprised to see that its supported by the novel (who knows about real life though).

Whenever I see people in games or whatever using two swords I think of a little girl in The Witcher 2 seeing Geralt and saying to her dad "why does he have TWO swords? Does he lose them often?"

The answer is that two swords is totally rad and that's all that should matter. :colbert:

I always roll my eyes when someone complains about dual-wielding being unrealistic, but especially so considering this is Dynasty Warriors here. Huang Gai swings around a loving canoe, Lu Su wields a rake, and let's not even get into all the wacky poo poo that Jin has.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

The boat is the first thing you think of when you think "DW has some bullshit weapons?" One guy has a rocket-powered lancer thing.

Personally, I believe that falls under "Wacky Jin poo poo."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So the latest update off of Steam seems to have fixed the freezing issues for DW8, on my computer at least. Just got done doing about 5 stages in Ambition mode, saving every time of course, and no crashes yet.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

I never have crashes whenever I put the game on Higher Priority, but I'll never learn why that makes it immune (because the times I've forgotten to do it, it definitely crashes a lot).

I'm hoping they put out actual patches like the Japanese DLC soon.

Right, I used to have to do that too, but since the update I launched the game normally and haven't messed with any settings (normal priority, all processors) and the game runs fine.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
As soon as the mission starts, head east and follow around the perimeter, kill every officer along the way and complete every objective the game gives you. DO NOT APPROACH THE CASTLE FROM THE EAST. Keep following the perimeter until you get behind the castle that Guo Huai is in, if you do everything right you should hear an officer say something about disguises being useless, or something along those lines.

Edit: :argh:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ScottyBomb posted:

I realize I'm a bit late to the Hyrule Warriors discussion, but I want to add that so far all the playables revealed are human(ish). I'd really like them to have some non-human playables, like a Zora and a Goron.

Seriously thinking Hyrule Warriors might be what finally tips me into the "buy a WiiU" camp.

Didn't E3 reveal Midna w/ Wolf Link as playable? Does she/they not count?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

lowercase16 posted:

What's the word on Hyrule Warriors 2? I haven't heard anything after the kinda crappy demo.

It's good, but less tactical and more of a straight beat-em-up. Which is fine by me but maybe not for everyone.

There's lots of neat tech to discover, and once you start unlocking characters and their full movesets you can get pretty nuts with the combos.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If they ever made one, it'd never leave Japan because of Harmony Gold's stranglehold on the license.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Most of the stuff you're describing was in P5, and it's kind of astonishing to me how much they've made it into P5 but with Musou action for random battles.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
People have been gushing about Nagoriyuki in Guilty Gear Strive even before we knew his name. I hope we can handle Yasuke without a shitstorm.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I guess it's just a taste thing cuz I loved most of the characters. Even the ones I played least still had a lot of cool novelty to them.

There's also a lot of cool tech and tricks to certain characters, like the way Zelda can expose weakpoints on demand, Mipha's water spout puts her at the exact height to go for headshots on giant enemies, Daruk's impenetrable guard, or Urbosa's infinite cycle of hurting that can rip Lynels to shreds.

The Koei Warriors format has been very, very good to Nintendo IMO. I've loved all three of those games to bits.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
They’ll find some way to squeeze pretty boy Yukimura in, time travel may or may not be involved

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I hadn’t dared to get my hopes up but :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SilverMike posted:

How is Age of Calamity's gameplay and quantity of content compared to HW1?

Depends, if you're into these games for battlefield tactics and trying to puzzle out the correct order to accomplish objectives then AoC will be a letdown. It's very much a brawler with little tactical input from the player making any difference beyond "how fast can you defeat the enemies?"

If you're into it for diversity of characters and movesets, and enjoy playing against tough enemies and figuring out how to match each character to each challenge then there's a lot to like.

For myself, I've 100% the available content and had a blast doing so, but to each their own.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Giant bosses used to be way worse in the Wii U version, and AoC gave you a ton of ways to expose and take advantage of the WPG, so the devs took the criticisms to heart at least.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Unfortunately I'm playing the Wii U version and having one magic bar in stock speeds up the process only a little.

My condolences.

Takoluka posted:

The Imprisoned is basically the exclusive reason I think Fire Emblem Warriors is a better game. Even with the improvements from Legends/DE, if a challenge map has The Imprisoned as a major objective, I will literally play a different game. I'd rather fight DWG2 Psycho Gundam.

I categorically do not understand this mindset, The Imprisoned is by far the easiest and least frustrating of the giant bosses to deal with.

Meanwhile Manhandla was the absolute bane of my existence.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Oh sweet, I loved Ken’s Rage

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Not a sequel, looks like it's gonna be an Elseworlds take on the characters and setting.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I got Orochi 3 off the last Steam sale. Mostly enjoying it but I'm running into some weird glitches on my Deck.

For one, cutscenes have some audio desync. I've fiddled with some settings but I have no idea how to fix this kind of thing in general.

Another is that character's skin tones keep changing? Not sure if it's a quirk of the lighting, but it can range from normal, to ash grey, to sunburn red, to bronze. Mostly seems to happen in cutscenes and cut-ins when you Musou attacks and whatnot. It's very weird.

Also Kiyomori is a motherfucker to fight for some reason. Always seems to pop his Musou and take me from zero-to-death in one swoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Himiko will do this too. Saving before fighting unique officers is usually a good idea in the Orochi games, since a lot of fights can turn into rocket tag.

Yeah, I've lost something like 3 stages to Kiyomori, 1 to Himiko, 1 to Masamune, and 1 because I was fiddling with buttons during the stage results screen and accidentally found that pressing Start and Select at the same time soft resets the game :downs: