Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

That's pretty bad yea. I'm using a wired 360 controller and it gives me the problem I mentioned, but nothing as extreme as yours. I doubt its worth buying one whole controller for one game though. RIP Sanurai Sanders.
If it is due to the controller itself, it's the only game that has any problem with using the controller this way. The PS4 controller is the perfect thing otherwise. No games seem to know or care that it isn't a 360 controller.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Playing DW8PC again, there's still something else about the gamepad controls that is off, and I can't put my finger on it at all. It just feels wrong all the time and I stop playing after one stage and go to another game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have given up on the PC version of DW8 ever getting over whatever controller problem it has, but when the hell is the PS4 version ever going to go on sale?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What are the language options for SW4 on the PS4?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maleketh posted:

There are no options to speak of: it's Japanese voices with English text. The lack of English voiceovers disappoints me, but it's still a great game.
Yeah, I have it on the PS3, but I had a wild thought about trying the PS4 version (and the Japanese version still costs seven bazillion yen). I don't know how they are different though, apart from more dudes on the screen I assume.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

PS4 has more dudes, more/better visual effects, and better textures/models. Also, the framerate seems to be higher, but I haven't see the PS3 version in motion to compare. It definitely feels/looks smoother than DW8 on my PS3.

Some comparisons (PS3 then PS4):

Hm. Well, it should be noted that SW4 on the PS3 is a huge leap ahead of any other Musou game in graphics already. The environments actually look seriously good for once.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maleketh posted:

Goddamn, Gracia is still broken as poo poo. That ice rain special is loving brutal.
Well, she does wield the awesome power of the Christian God.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vincent posted:

Is the PS3 version of SW4 good?
I haven't played the PS4 version but the PS3 version is the best looking Musou game I have played.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is Hyrule Warriors a remarkable Musou game even if I don't have strong feelings about the Zelda series?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm, the frame rate on Hyrule Warriors is pretty rough compared to what I have become accustomed to with the last few Musou games. Other than that it's pretty good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

Kai owns.
Yep. Her and her giant 80s hair doesn't take poo poo from anybody.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

I think Kojuro Katakura has turned me gay. Well, gayer.

I have no idea how his weapon actually works though, it just seems to shoot out coloured crap at random.
Yeah, I have been wondering that as well. I think it's a swordgun embedded in a shield, but it seems to be magic as well. Unless I'm forgetting something, it's definitely the most confusing Musou weapon yet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just picked up SW4 for the ps4, and I'm not sure if Hyrule Warriors just spoiled me or not but the combat feels way clunkier, or maybe it's just how Oda and No play (only played one map so far) Looks great graphically at least.
That's weird, I thought Hyrule was a disaster control-wise compared to any other Musou game, especially SW4, which I think is the smoothest so far.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

Damnit Mitsuhide, would you just kill Nobunaga already? :negative:
They really milk the scholarly disagreement for why Mitsuhide betrayed Nobunaga for all its worth in this series.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Too bad those early scans from Famitsu are always too small to actually read the text other than the headline. I'm sure it's written right there exactly what it is, but as much as I squint I can't read it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, in the comments on the article on Hachima's blog, people are talking like this (and not XL) is the result of some lawsuit by Capcom. I have no idea what it could be though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

The correct answer is to hope it's Dragon's Dogma 2, anyways.
DD is literally the only Capcom thing in the last decade I give a poo poo about (well, Basara 2 was pretty good), so yeah.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Perdido posted:

Godhand?
I am not a Godhand fan.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Might as well not even set it in Japanese history anymore, for how little 4 had to do with anything other than anime tropes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

scissorman posted:

Is it possible to look up character bios in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate?
I looked in the gallery but I couldn't find it.
No bios, unfortunately. The Orochi series is not friendly to people new to DW/SW.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is SW4-2 going to be identical to the first one gameplay-wise, or what?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably, since it's basically an XL expansion only they're not allowed to do those any more because Capcom.
Is that seriously confirmed or just some rumor?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryoji posted:

These DLCs are still quite expensive.
I guess they're just following Bamco on this, with the DLC costing more than the game itself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I really, really don't think SB4 is very good and doubt this one will be either. It's just too ridiculously inward focused and free of connections to anything real.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Sengoku Basara being unreal is the best part about it. And the mechanical design for characters is better than DW imo.

But i mean where else were they going to go? A wacky life sim about Ieyasu trying to keep the surviving daimyo from screwing up Edo? I mean that sounds amazing...but I'd rather the ghost of Nobunaga threaten Japan with a demon powered satellite cannon, or whatever Capcom cooks up or something.

When's Orochi 4????
I guess I agree. Since they have completely abandoned the historical narrative other than a few set character rivalries here and there, they might as well go ALL the way over, rather than just kind of mucking around like now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Well ok then.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Billy Gnosis posted:

Does anyone think 8XL would be a good purchase for someone who got WO3 played through it through chapter 3-4ish but stopped partly because of the lack of story (or rather probably attachments to the characters)?

Basically as well, does it play at least somewhat differently than WO3 to make it worth while? Maybe the ambition? (the one where you conquer a map) will add enough window dressing to feel fresh?
I enjoyed both it and WO3, and it certainly does more to explain the characters and stuff than WO3 does. Playing Orochi first would seriously confuse the gently caress out of anyone.

I want to know about the performance on the PS4 though. I have it on the PC but due to an unresolved controller issue that I gave up on a long time ago, I don't play it.

edit: ambition mode is awful though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How did it happen that by far the most technically competent looking Musou game is for Dragon Quest?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Davincie posted:

don't do wo3 as your first game, people get confused by not knowing the 100+ characters. Get dw8 or sw4
Yeah, which sucks because WO3 is a great place to start in other respects. Would it have killed them to put in a simple character encyclopedia or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wamdoodle posted:

Woah, what? Are you sure it wasn't just armchair analysis? Were there any sources?
Yeah I'll need a source too. There's a lot of bullshit floating around about how X Japanese game dev is on the edge of destruction, but it's usually just that they had a bad quarter or something.

edit: According to this, they are doing very well in both sales and profits.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 16, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

Isn't the Warrior series incredibly popular with women in Japan and that's why all the men look the way the do? Or was that just some joke thing I read on the internet. Either way, even though the western press like to bash the franchises a lot, it would be a real shame if they ever stop making these games. There are no others like it on the market, which is really loving weird.
I dunno about incredibly popular but apparently it does have a female userbase over there that most action games don't. I'm all for it, since it brings even the slightest bit of balance to how the characters are treated as far as who rescues who or whatever.

Anyway, talk about them cancelling the Warriors series is complete and utter nonsense without a single shred of legitimacy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

grrarg posted:

Samurai Warriors 4-2 released last week in Japan, right? Anyone try it yet?
No, as usual I just have Amazon.jp reviews to go off of. They are not so favorable of it as a full-priced product, since it's just a fairly small expansion pack to SW4.

edit: unlike XL it has no level carryover from vanilla SW4, so I hope you like leveling all your characters from 1 again.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 16, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

Real history points to him being a really lovely thief and bad person, but the writer of the most famous re-telling of the Three Kingdoms was a Shu guy.
Well, they're ALL warlords. Are there, or have there ever been, nice warlords?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

Well I mean specifically Liu Bei Dynasty Warriors/Romance is almost literally nothing like the real thing. It's basically comparing Barack Obama to Metal Wolf Chaos in how they'll be viewed in the future.
Right after Obama was elected it did kinda look like he would be that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Agean90 posted:

You should play Kessen 3 where they have Oda Nobunaga, brutal warlord for Peace and Justice.
He's the very image of peace through superior firepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

victrix posted:

So what's the deal with Nobunaga being treated as some sort of Great Demon Lord of Conquest in all the video games?

I'm not familiar enough with the history to see why he ends up... vilified? Celebrated? Celebratorily vilified?

Compared to all the other rear end in a top hat backstabbing betraying murdering warlords of the time, what makes him stand out as especially memorable in the Japanese consciousness as an ideal video game bad guy?
I don't know how to put it into words, but anyway watch Kagemusha or something, don't just go off video games.