Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Telsa Cola posted:

I'd disagree, pre-heresy there's very little to suggest that he's a God akin to the chaos gods. It's really only in 40k and particularly super recently where a bunch of poo poo is popping off wheres it's becoming more of a thing, which is where Gulliman awakes.

Him being a god is really only a question of whether he has godlike power, and he definitely does. Even during the heresy he had the power to literally fight all four combined chaos gods in Horus' body at the same time - and win. Whether or not he uses his power in the same manner as the chaos gods, and whether he gets his power from the same kind of sources, seeing as he is a physical being and not purely a creature of the warp, is a another question.

Lorgar being correct or not in what kind of naming convention is reasonable to apply to big E is kind of missing the forest for the trees. Emps didn't need or want people to worship him as far as we know, so the important part is that by continuing to worship anything at all he was actively subjugating himself and reaffirming his desire for mankind to be dominated instead of self determining. It literally doesn't matter if the Emperor refusing to categorize himself as a god was honest or not.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Is the Dark Imperium series the one where Rowboat goes and talks to dad?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

New to Warhammer 40k books (Ive read a few Dan ones and really enjoying them). I want to start the Horus Heresy, is there anything I need to read first or can I just start at #1 and go chronologically with no background knowledge?

The best piece of advice I can give you is to skip descent of angels, and probably the other Dark Angels one, because it can really kill your desire to continue. Absolute garbage.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

This got spoiled for me in a BFG2 stream but did Yarrick get ganked by loving Angron? is this gonna lead to Ghazkull killing a loving Primarch?

I think that's just a fan theory that's been going around that a bunch of people picked up on. I feel like that would be the lamest thing ever if they actually wrote that out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I can't wait for Armageddon 4: The Re-armageddoning. It's always been my favorite part of 40k.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Flytrap posted:

There would be nothing lame about a battle with Angron and the World Eaters being interrupted as an Orc Moon plummets out of the sky and turns the battle into a 3 way war between the Imperium, Chaos, and the largest Orc WAAAGH since the War of the Beast.

That's literally going to happen anyways though, that's not what I was talking about

OPAONI posted:

It's the Koom Valley of 40k and I love it so. The tyranids need to get in there. The Ork-spawn biomass alone should be attractive.

Sorry but you have to be either a heel or a face to show up to this cage match and the Tyranids do not have enough personality for that

S.J. fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 14, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm not so hung up on lore as I am on presentation. Grand opulence, starship troopers satire, horror, Astartes esque tacticool, dead serious?

Paul Verhoeven absolutely needs to be the director on a 40k movie

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Cavill actually plays Dante, who's on loan from the Blood Angels in a marine exchange program.

Cavill plays Dante and judgement cuts a bloodthirster in half

S.J.
May 19, 2008

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

gently caress yeah. Denzel Washington is Guillimane, Jackie Chan is Rogal Dorn, John Leguzamo is Russ.

I just want Matthew McConaughey to play Sanguinius so the black rage just manifests as the marines hearing "alright alright alright" over and over again

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Gotta be honest, Cavill as Eisenhorn is so far from the Eisenhorn in my mind that it's hard to imagine it. He's supposed to be an ugly, scrunched up poo poo even before the unfortunate events in the mansion, and an even uglier poo poo after. My cast was Mel Gibson for a bit, then at some point I didn't want to think about Mel Gibson.

Literally any role they give him outside of a Primarch is one where he'd have to get his face all hosed up regardless.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GW, for Christmas, I would like some Leagues of Votann novels. Thank you.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Not Ciaphas Cain. Dude looks like a propaganda poster come to life.

Sure but I'm not counting that because there's no way they're going to lead in with the 40k version of slap stick comedy

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

I have heard that you should read Watson if you want some real weird poo poo, but also his books look like they're straight out of the dumbest era of Star Wars extended universe stuff.

That's being very kind. The stories are loving dumb as poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

e;

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Dumb 40k is and can be very good and a thing that I enjoy. There is no joy to be had in his stories except to laugh at how awful they are. Which if that's good enough for you, then by all means.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

To clarify, I don't think Watson was a bad writer, just that the stories were dumb. But it's also been a long time since I've read anything he did! They're certainly no worse than the rest of what Black Library has put out.

Black Griffon posted:

Pray Him on Terra protect me. I am committed to completing the whole series and I have just hit play on Descent of Angels.

Please just read a summary. Please. I read Descent of Angels and literally stopped re-reading the Horus Heresy afterwards and still haven't quite recovered.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

nemesis and battle for the abyss are both terrible books, as is descent of angels. at that level of quality you can’t really compare them; they’re all just awful in their own way.

I am actually trying to read Battle for the Abyss right now and yeah it's not great

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

jesus reading Abnett after Descent of Angles feels straight up unfair

Yyyyep

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Bautista is my Angron

I would love to see this one day. Bautista is imo a great actor though and could pull off all kinds of stuff.

But yeah I think the HH stuff wouldn't, for the most part, adapt well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

IMO the Chaos ones are more interesting in large part because how they struggle with their own identities and responsibilities creates a false impression of who they are in their subordinates who often are the catalyst for the worst of the outcomes, and this is a mirror of the Primarchs relationship with the Emperor to begin with. Many Primarchs give E way too much credit

S.J.
May 19, 2008

magnus was so loving dumb. hilariously stupid. i applaud him for being so moronic

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Bautista does an Eddie Murphy and plays all Primarchs. Including The Emperor.

Ship it, let's loving go

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

I celebrate the himbos of warhammer. I want him to succeed because obviously he'd just be getting used again. Big red fuckin moron in the dumbest looking armor known to man.

can you imagine being called a cyclops and not actually being a cyclops lmao

S.J.
May 19, 2008

D-Pad posted:

The first Arks of Omen book went on pre-order today and GW has been touting it as the biggest lore update since Gathering Storm. At least two more volumes will be released and it is entirely possible we get another primarch back from it. It's basically the same format as Gathering Storm trilogy was so whatever it is should be a fairly major shakeup to the current lore.

We're getting introduced to a new chaos demi-god and it sounds awesome, plus it's centered around Space Hulks which is the most 40k poo poo ever

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Technically we are getting a new primarch from it, Angron, he hasn't shown back up quite yet in the fluff but his model and rules have been revealed. One of the books has his name on it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

The original figure of him was a cyclops, so I guess it was prescient of whoever gave him the nickname? :shrug:

Yeah I know, I was actually kinda sad he wasn't a literal cyclops when the HH stuff rolled around

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I thought mechanicum was fantastic when I read it on release.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's so many McNeil characters, I couldn't get past the first Forges of Mars book because every chapter ended with a really embarrassing one-liner

Is it starcraft 2 levels of "Lets kick this revolution into overdrive"?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

ok but jason momoa has to be leman russ right

absolutely not

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/15/sunday-preview-your-emperor-needs-you-join-the-astra-militarum

Saturday will see only one book going up for pre-order (in english at least). But it's the special edition of ADB's Armageddon series.

gently caress. I really want this. poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Whether or not you think something is bad (has qualities that you believe are bad) doesn't necessarily have any intrinsic relation to whether or not you enjoy it. Understanding that is actually a pretty big step towards understanding what you like and why.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just give me some loving Votann novels already

S.J.
May 19, 2008

What novels should I pick up for Old World Dwarfs? Non-Gotrek novels, that is.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

bagrada posted:

Gav Thorpe and Nick Kyme have a four book series listed on Amazon as Masters of Stone and Steel, plus the Grudgelore history book now out of print.

Sick, thanks. Trying to narrow some of this down on the BL website is... not very convenient.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Thank you!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

All Custodes Are Bastards

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

Abadon is walking up the steps to the throne, there is a lot of rumbling and the throne turns into a giant penitent engine. Collective Unconscious starts playing.

Holy poo poo I could immediately hear it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Enslavers are stated and have demonstrated to be able to turn pretty much any psychic being into a warp portal, and those just float around in the warp till they find a host.

Sanctioned Pyskers are marginally better at not getting turned in a portal due to the whole soulbond thing.

And therefore...?

The Imperium doesn't have a monopoly on keeping psykers and their abilities in check. They went to war with far more enlightened and advanced civilizations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

If a enslaver is able to turn any human psyker into a warp portal then that's pretty solid evidence that every human psyker is potentially a time bomb that can doom a planet.

Feel free to provide examples of how these human societies dealt with psykers then?

Do you not get that the fiction is written from the perspective of the Imperium, or...?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I played a decent amount of 2nd edition, and while it certainly might not be difficult for any given character to die, if you actually built around heavy armor and parrying/blocking etc you could absolutely just shrug a lot of stuff off. I haven't played 4th though, I've heard it's a lot like 2e. Hell, even evasive characters could be genuinely hard to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

a lovely king posted:

I'm always a bit lost on the pre orders actual dates. So we can pre order this weekend but when do they actually come out? Not clear on the page...

For Games Workshop stuff, unless otherwise stated, pre-orders go live on Saturdays and release the following Saturday. If it's something that's print on demand it can take a few weeks for shipments to start rolling out.